Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Prabal Gurung – Istana Welcoming Ceremony

I was super excited when I saw Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attend the welcome ceremony on arrival at the Istana during the Diamond Jubilee tour earlier today.

That’s because she was wearing a Prabal Gurung Spring 2012 dress.

The excitement was partly because she looks fabulous wearing this purple-and-cream Rorschach floral-printed wool-silk three-quarter-length-sleeve dress, but mostly because I know how proud the Nepalese designer will be to see her wearing it.

He’s had American royalty wear his dress, now he has British royalty.

The Duchess styled her graphic-print dress with her favourite Prada pumps and a black satin Anya Hindmarch ‘Maud’ clutch.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Jordana Brewster's Tory Burch 797 Large Satchel

Jordana Brewster’s Tory Burch 797 Large Satchel

Rachel McAdams In Elie Saab - 'To The Wonder' Toronto Film Festival Premiere

Rachel McAdams In Elie Saab – ‘To The Wonder’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere

38 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Prabal Gurung – Istana Welcoming Ceremony

1. fromchi-town September 11, 2012 at 14:28 #

Wow – I did a double take when I saw this. Very unexpected from the Duchess to wear such a bold color and print. Am loving it albeit the shoes and clutch are boring!

• Christine September 11, 2012 at 17:27 #

I did a double take too. Glad too her wearing something vibrant and fresh. She looks good and I can imagine Prabal is excited about this :D

2. CreoleLady September 11, 2012 at 14:32 #

*clunk*

That was me being knocked over by a feather.

• Fashion Critic September 11, 2012 at 15:07 #

lol..like it

3. Lee Ann September 11, 2012 at 14:34 #

absolutely love it and then I saw the shoes.

• Leeann September 11, 2012 at 21:32 #

Actually ,upon reflection. I hate this. I was first drawn to the dress which is pretty but just not on her – the dress is wearing her not the other way around. I had to scroll to look at other looks to realise how wrong this is on her.

4. Grace Patricia September 11, 2012 at 14:42 #

The dress is great, it’s good to see her wearing prints. The shoes are awful and so is her hair.

5. Yeliz September 11, 2012 at 14:57 #

I would have never imagined Catherine and Prabal Gurung in the same sentence.
    I agree with fromchi-town, this is very unexpected, but she looks very beautiful. Unfortunately, there are no changes in the shoe department though.

6. Alexandra September 11, 2012 at 15:01 #

Do only I see thet she is pregnant?

• wilwarin September 11, 2012 at 21:27 #

she hea sgained somee writh that’s for sure. her face is rounder than usally…

7. B September 11, 2012 at 15:05 #

Where did THAT come from??! I’ve had a theory for a while now that palace PR people are making her wear boring things to start with, so she is relatable etc, and as time goes on she’ll get more exciting. This might be the start, bring on Mary Katrantzou?!

8. Zaggora Girl September 11, 2012 at 15:15 #

Gorgeous dress! It’s great seeing Kate wear prints and patterns

9. noo September 11, 2012 at 15:24 #

This is the most exciting thing that she has worn to date! I’ve been wanting her to wear prabal gurung for a while because he does fitted and sleeves in a non-boring way! frankly i never believed that it would happen!

10. SY September 11, 2012 at 15:24 #

It is said that it was a well thought out PR move since Prabal Gurung was born in Singapore and that’s where the Prince & Duchess are. No complains though. It’s no doubt a nice dress and she looks gorgeous in it.

11. HM September 11, 2012 at 15:26 #

She looks divine! Looks like the Duchess did some research as this dress is a nod to Singapore with the orchid-like floral print. I know people complain about her boring clutch & pumps combo, but I think it works on her.

• Fiona-Brasil September 11, 2012 at 15:50 #

+ 1

• Aurélien September 11, 2012 at 16:34 #

Yes, I agree. The shoes and the clutch are not very surprising, but I don’t see her matching this dress with Nicholas Kirkwood pumps ! She managed to be classy and unexpected at the same time, that’s great !

12. Emmeline September 11, 2012 at 15:39 #

I opened the page, saw “Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge in Prabal Gurung” and honestly thought it was a joke. She should definitely take risks like this more often.

13. Hannah September 11, 2012 at 15:54 #

I’m sorry I just cannot fall in love with it. I adore, adore, adore PRabal Gurung’s collections, and this is majorly disappointing to me. I wish it was a bit more tailored and that she had worn better shoes and no tights with it, because they make the gorgeous fun dress seem almost matronly. I know she has an image to uphold, but I wish she would be mroe daring, because these shoes are killing me slowly.

14. dee September 11, 2012 at 16:17 #

I really like th print and color. She looks really nice. I come to conclusion that she is not going to wear interesting shoes but I hope she does.

15. Markness September 11, 2012 at 16:37 #

Finally! She did not repeat! I just wish the bottom part had more “print” in it. I don’t know but I guess this is a step in the right direction. Bring us the glamour, Kate! We miss it! :)

16. dunzoo September 11, 2012 at 16:50 #

i like the dress but unfortunatly it looks very boring on her

17. Sandy September 11, 2012 at 17:26 #

Don’t know why she wore such a shapeless dress. Surely it could have been slightly more fitted.

18. Aline September 11, 2012 at 18:37 #

Oh, she looks so lovely in this. I don’t even mind the boring pumps.

19. Amy September 11, 2012 at 19:23 #

nice PR move! Prabal is from there I think. I like the choice of a printed dress, however not the best shape for her.
    I’m not even going to start about the shoes: waste of time.

20. Laura September 11, 2012 at 20:04 #

Wow, she looks amazing!

BDOTW

21. Dolly September 11, 2012 at 21:16 #

Whilst I was excited to see she decided to wear something fresh and exciting, sadly this doesnt work for me.

22. hero September 11, 2012 at 22:29 #

I like the design better on the model….with less print on the sleeves its more balanced…Kate’s version is more top heavy and busy looking. It does not look adequate for a state dinner even if it was a cocktail party.

23. Dhppy September 11, 2012 at 23:07 #

It’s so rare that she wears prints. It nice to see that happening on this tour.

24. Jones19 September 11, 2012 at 23:17 #

I’m in shock…she’s actually wearing something printed and fashion forward.

25. Molly September 11, 2012 at 23:48 #

The dress is nice but its wearing her. This is the same style dress, same hair and same shoes that she always wears. This is nothing new aside from the print and not even that is enough to make this interesting.

26. elaine2 September 12, 2012 at 03:22 #

Not a fan of this dress or the print – and definitely not on her! She can’t pull it off. The posters who said the dress was wearing her were right on the mark, IMO. There were photos of her on Getty showing her trying to pull the hemline down as she was sitting down. It looked torturous.

27. FC310 September 12, 2012 at 06:54 #

I think the ensemble is lovely…don’t think she dare to stray too far in the shoes department as its a state dinner. She’s being respectful and considerate, albeit boring, for the occasion. Perhaps she’ll put on Andrew Gn too as he was born and raised in Singapore ?

• yyc September 12, 2012 at 09:04 #

Crossing my fingers she will wear Andrew Gn. His clothes are divine!

28. Violetta Parr September 12, 2012 at 11:53 #

After seeing this number, I’m absolutely positive about the way Catherine is handling her royal image. She’s never over the top but also so modern! Who cares about her shoes anyway when she’s looking that good right? :)

• EmmaWoodhouse September 12, 2012 at 23:48 #

Totally agree! This look is amazing–BDOTW!

29. delhi_fashionista September 12, 2012 at 18:40 #

So glad to see that a designer who graduated from Delhi’s reputed National Institute of Fashion Technology ( NIFT ) is now dressing up the British royalty.

30. catdun September 16, 2012 at 16:47 #

I too love the fact that Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge is wearing a Prabal Gurung Spring 2012 dress and unlike some other comments on here, I think it really suited her. Not sure who wrote the main blurb on here and I presume that this is an American (US) website but would respectfully remind you folks that there is no such thing as “American royalty” so not sure who invented that one either?