Menu

Jessica Chastain In Marios Schwab – 2012 Tony Awards

I was just about to call it a night until Jessica Chastain caught my eye.

The actress dazzled on the red carpet in New York City this evening for the 66th Annual Tony Awards, held at the Beacon Theatre.

Dressed in a nude sheer Marios Schwab Fall 2012 long-sleeve dress, I’m sure this look is going to bring up much debate.

Enriched with Swarovski Elements, this embellished frock could’ve gone two ways:

Jessica could’ve lined the dress losing all the mystery, intrigue and possibly even the details.

Or, she could’ve worn the dress as presented on the runway with the built-in corset for support.

I’m glad she chose the latter.

It may not be to be to everyone’s liking, but I find that Jessica doesn’t take enough risks on the red carpet.

This one paid off for me.

Silver satin Giuseppe Zanotti ankle strap peep-toes completed the look.

Love or loathe?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Mary J Blige In Catherine Malandrino - ‘Rock Of Ages’ London Premiere

Mary J Blige In Catherine Malandrino – ‘Rock Of Ages’ London Premiere

Amanda Seyfried In Givenchy - 2012 Tony Awards

Amanda Seyfried In Givenchy – 2012 Tony Awards

57 Responses to Jessica Chastain In Marios Schwab – 2012 Tony Awards

1. Fari June 13, 2012 at 15:23 #

I’m actually really surprised by all the negative comments. I think she looks amazing and very different than her usual red carpet appearances. Plus that hair colour looks really good on her. definitely love!

• Tati M June 13, 2012 at 19:33 #

+1. I totally agree

2. EmmaWoodhouse June 12, 2012 at 20:31 #

Absolutely loathe. I am a fan of Jessica and struggle to love her RC style–she’s had some stunning moments but this is the most horrendous look ever, imo. It’s tackily revealing AND hugely unflattering. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dress that made a woman’s bust look so bad! She should have lined it, if she wore it at all.

3. Dhppy June 12, 2012 at 17:53 #

When she was on stage, I clearly saw nip. I suspect that may have been more than she wished to present. Always have a lining.

4. Katie June 12, 2012 at 12:23 #

Eek loathe, i know she is being edgy but i hate it, i like the dress though

5. Parvati June 12, 2012 at 12:02 #

She did take a risk, but for me, she shouldn’t have, because the bust area looks really awkward and way too revealing. Moreover, I like her hair but it feels too limp for the occasion. To sum up, her hair and especially the whole thing around the bust area are quite inappropriate for this event.

6. Amy June 11, 2012 at 20:22 #

sorry I really don’t like it. I have nothing against Jessica usual style, it’s nice sometimes amazing but this is BAD. Plus the whole boobs thing is just meh.

7. Nat39 June 11, 2012 at 19:47 #

Jessica cannot afford to take such a risk I’m afraid, should’ve stayed away from it. It looks awful.

8. Bird June 11, 2012 at 16:17 #

There is good risks and there is bad risks…this one was bad….dont like how the boobs looks like…

9. Tati M June 11, 2012 at 16:14 #

LOVE the dress and her wonderful work as an actress!!!!!!!!

10. Dan Oliver June 11, 2012 at 15:10 #

I like it the dress looks good on her but im not feeling her hair but overall i think she looks good

11. Jamie Sanford June 11, 2012 at 14:42 #

It’s a hot dress, but inappropriate for TV presenting, since I was instagramming her nipple during the show.

12. dee June 11, 2012 at 13:52 #

This is awful. Hate the bust area. It looks so unflattering. Her boobs look squished and her posture is bad too.

13. Jess2 June 11, 2012 at 13:49 #

I am very impressed with Jessica’s risk-taking, going sheer was a great decision and she looks amazing in the dress. Her makeup is also really great. I don’t like her hair or shoes though. I would have liked it more had she pulled her hair back so we could see more of the detailed neckline. I know that satin shoes are all the rage right now but they aren’t my favourite.

14. Lara June 11, 2012 at 13:25 #

I LOVE it… head to toe.

15. Hannah June 11, 2012 at 12:36 #

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS DRESS AND LOVE JESSICA ON IT! STUNNING! GREAT ELECTION!!! I LOVE THAT BRITISH DESIGNERS ARE A MUST ON RED CARPETS LATELY.

16. Solveig June 11, 2012 at 12:02 #

Love!!

17. Te June 11, 2012 at 11:56 #

The dress: I don’t like it, there’s too much going on! For me, the built-in corset does’t work with this dress, it should be paired with a simpler look. And the dress should be lined for the outside details to “appear”.

This look: I think it even looks worse on her… Its too small in the bust, the color washes her out, and she lacks attitude (but this is a general problem for her, a clutch would help a little..). It’s a shame because she is such a beautiful woman… Maybe she will gain confidence with time…

But I admire the risk taking!

18. The Phantom June 11, 2012 at 11:54 #

Well, this looks awful :/ and I love Jessica

19. Alina June 11, 2012 at 11:22 #

I simply like it! 🙂

20. roxana June 11, 2012 at 09:07 #

i love it!

21. Zee June 11, 2012 at 08:50 #

Although the dress looks beautiful, on a humanbeing, I don’t like this at all. It reminded me the nude jumpsuit J.Lo once wore.

22. Andrea June 11, 2012 at 08:12 #

The top part makes me think of a figure skating outfit. But the colour looks good on her.

23. msd June 11, 2012 at 06:59 #

Taking a risk is appreciated but this one doesn’t pay off. As others have said, it isn’t flattering.

24. Vera June 11, 2012 at 06:55 #

The shoes must have been of a red color.

The dress is flawless – especially on Jessca, with her outstanding beauty.

25. Emi June 11, 2012 at 06:13 #

I like the dress and the shoes but not on her, it washes her out, she looks like a ghost (a beautiful one) and the hair would have been better pulled up.

26. Odette June 11, 2012 at 05:34 #

I LOVE this look on her. I would prefer green earrings though as a final perfect touch. But the dress is PERFECT on her.

27. Stephanie June 11, 2012 at 05:10 #

Risk-taking=good. Amount of boobage=bad.

• Ioana June 11, 2012 at 14:05 #

+1 … YES “Amount of boobage”, very well said.

When I first saw the picture, my eyes were fixed on her twins.

Sorry, but I don’t like the dress on her.

28. fashion-share June 11, 2012 at 04:49 #

I adore this dress, the colour is so beautiful. These shots are stunning. she is gorgeous.

29. Fiona June 11, 2012 at 04:21 #

The dress photographs badly, and it seems too small so her boobs which are very prominent due to the boning and sheer fabric are squashed so is consequently unflattering. The silhouette is not good for her either, she looks much better with her waist more defined, and why does she regularly go for nude looks which wash her out? It’s a no for me.

30. CTgirl June 11, 2012 at 03:43 #

Loathe. This dress manages to look like something an old stripper would wear. Mumsy with the beige heavy beading. Stripper with the built in pasties.

31. SS June 11, 2012 at 03:40 #

LOVE, especially with her hair.

32. Melanie June 11, 2012 at 03:16 #

Love! She looks fantastic and pulls it off beautifully. She could be such a bombshell all the time and this is the proof!

33. Christine June 11, 2012 at 03:10 #

Glad to see she is mixing it up per se on the red carpet but she this dress and them shoes are washing her out.

34. Rebecca Z June 11, 2012 at 03:10 #

It’s not a good look–for her or really anyone, in my opinion. The corset actually detracts in my opinion. There are lots of nude-looking embellished dresses out there–this one leaves much too little mystery. Don’t like it on the model either.

• Yeliz June 11, 2012 at 08:54 #

Ditto.

35. Shaina June 11, 2012 at 02:55 #

I love the dress, and with the shoes it looks amazing. I dont think she is selling the dress as much as she could or as much as someone else would (Lea Michelle, for example) but I think it kind of sells itself when on the right body. I prefer it unlined too.

36. Violet G June 11, 2012 at 02:51 #

The dress may be pretty but Jessica looks uncomfortable and self-conscious which ruins the look IMO.

37. rebecca o June 11, 2012 at 02:37 #

It’s so unflattering to her body. It makes her look chunky when she isn’t.

38. Marybeth June 11, 2012 at 01:51 #

I don’t loathe it, but I don’t love it either.
    The extremely form-fitting, unlined bodice draws attention to the bust, and yet it doesn’t strike me as particularly sexy.
    Eh.

39. Rafael June 11, 2012 at 01:29 #

I really appreciate that she took a risk, I love the dress but the color washes her out… It’s always something off with Jessica’s looks

• amparo June 11, 2012 at 02:10 #

And she has to work her posture and attitude! It so blah!!

• vicky June 11, 2012 at 06:15 #

I agree.
      There’s always something bothering me with her style, mostly is the lack of a clutch. Because she doesn’t have the best posture and her arms are just “hanging” there, she looks lifeless.
      The colour is also not working for her here, she’s too washed out and the shoes…Too clunky for such a delicate/sexy dress.

40. GiGi June 11, 2012 at 01:27 #

Oh how I dislike those two cantaloupe melons under her dress…. don’t even think the silhouette is flattering to her. New stylist please. She is gorgeous – and very natural looking – she could do so much better!

41. Grace June 11, 2012 at 01:20 #

I hate it. This dress should not be worn by someone with anything larger than a small b-cup. It makes her look so saggy and smushed in. (Nothing against girls with bigger busts. I myself am a DD and have resigned myself to the fact that I could never wear something like this. Chastain should do the same.)

• Taylor June 11, 2012 at 05:20 #

I agree, her boobs are way too big for this dress. It would look great on someone else. Loathe.

• Snowlion June 12, 2012 at 13:06 #

Agree. This is such an unfortunate look, just awful.

42. Tamia June 11, 2012 at 01:17 #

Fantastic!she looks sensational!I didn’t know she was capable of doing ‘sexy’-bravo!

43. Luiza June 11, 2012 at 01:11 #

I hate it. She can do so much better than this.

• tiffany June 11, 2012 at 17:52 #

agreed. I think I just don’t like her personal style. This look makes that clear to me.

44. Hannah June 11, 2012 at 01:10 #

I’m kind of undecided. I think that it is good that she took a risk, but she is doign nothign for the dress. She always just stands there on the red carpet, when some attitude and a clutch (please, PLEASE wear a clutch) would have made this a lot better. IMO, even with the Carven look last week she still needs a new stylist, because this dress does nothing for her & she does nothing for it.

45. Tina June 11, 2012 at 01:00 #

I commend her for taking risks, but I am not liking the way the dress frames her body. The chest area looks forced and compressed, and the whole dress just seems a bit too tight on her. The colour blends into the skin tone, and had she worn a clutch, it may have helped break the monocolour look of this outfit, but alas, she chose to forgo one like usual.

46. argentina June 11, 2012 at 00:56 #

OMG I first thought she was Christina Hendricks. This look is super refreshing for her. Risk that paid off. Sometimes edgy is better.

47. Tea June 11, 2012 at 00:55 #

I like the idea of the dress and I like it on the runway but in real life on a more real-to-life body I need the bodice lined. Without it the sheer bodice distracts and detracts from the rest of the dress. I don’t think this was the most flattering choice for Jessica. Don’t hate the dress…just don’t like it on her.

48. Emma June 11, 2012 at 00:53 #

LOVE! She does tend to be a bit hit or miss, but this is my favourite look from her since the oscars. She has the sophistication to pull it off

• Artemis June 11, 2012 at 10:03 #