Eva Longoria attended the opening ceremony of the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, which hosted the premiere for ‘Moonrise Kingdom’ this evening in Cannes.

The former ‘Desperate Housewives’ star did what she does best at Cannes: shut the whole red carpet down.

She floated down the red carpet wearing a Marchesa gown, which was frankly made for an Amazonian supermodel, but Eva easily pulls it off.

The stunning gown with intricate embroidered details trails off into a breath-taking tulle train.

A sleek updo, shimmering nude lip colour and a Marchesa bejeweled clutch with a quartz clasp completed her look.

Dear Eva,

Keep to this standard from now on.

Regards,

FC and the RCFA readers x

Check out the back. No ugly zipper…yay.

Credit: Getty

Beauty Trend Spotting: The Dark Lip

Beauty Trend Spotting: The Dark Lip

Katharine McPhee's Christian Louboutin Devidas Embellished Suede Pumps

Katharine McPhee’s Christian Louboutin Devidas Embellished Suede Pumps

75 Responses to Eva Longoria In Marchesa – ‘Moonrise Kingdom’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony

1. CTgirl May 16, 2012 at 18:18 #

It looks like she’s dragging dirty curtains behind her. Marchesa strikes again.

• Jacqu May 16, 2012 at 19:12 #

ROFL! I was never a fan of Marchesa, and this is just one of those dresses that reminds me why.

I did wonder if Longoria has a movie out…

2. Ana Kay May 16, 2012 at 18:19 #

Breathtaking! And I love the second pic!
    Why do I feel like I’ve seen that train before?

• noo May 16, 2012 at 18:34 #

i feel like i’ve seen the dress before!!! all marchesa dresses are the same!

• GiGi May 16, 2012 at 19:01 #

Agreed. They are all the same, and that “same” is pretty bad. There’s just too too much to Marchesa dresses. And this one is no exception. That train is ridiculous.

• Ramsay May 16, 2012 at 19:37 #

My thinking exactly – this looks a lot like Penelope Cruz’ dress from last year – and maybe we liked the first of these dresses 5 years ago as it seemed artistic but by now after churning 100 of these dresses I don’t see any art in them or any interesting aspect – it is dull and formatted and really she might feel special for the night but considering how many have been there done that before her she is clearly not in this dress

• roxy May 16, 2012 at 20:02 #

• Vidhya May 16, 2012 at 21:15 #

Yeah.. the whole thing is too familiar. Boring.. I was expecting this from Eva tho

• msd May 17, 2012 at 07:27 #

+1. Ice skating costume + big tulle train = done to death. ZZZZzzzz from me.

• Chiedza Masepe May 19, 2012 at 07:20 #

Penelope Cruz wore a dress almost like this around ’06-’07 in nude and she stole the show! then Kirsten Durnst also wore something like this- silver w feathers at the bottom but that was a flop! im not too crazy about this dress hey.

3. oksana May 16, 2012 at 18:21 #

SO BEAUTIFUL
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

AWESOME

LOVE

4. Jill May 16, 2012 at 18:21 #

I hate to disagree with you since I like your arguments but Eva is too short for this dress and I feel like I saw it on her a million times already… This colour, pattern, style is way too repetitive on red carpets these days. Kudos for the dramatic tail though.

• dee May 16, 2012 at 18:41 #

I kinda agree. This would look better on someone taller. It’s nice but I am not blown away.

• vicky May 16, 2012 at 19:00 #

I agree with you. She’s not tall enough for this type of gown.
      Don’t get me wrong, she look gorgeous but I just get a strong sense of deja vu.
      I guess I’m over the Marchesa tulle&lace-gowns.

BTW isn’t Coco Rocha an L’Oreal girl? Any chance of her showing up on in Cannes (and redeem her Met Gala appearance)?

• Sabreena May 16, 2012 at 19:32 #

I agree with you totally.She’s a gorgeous woman…but not tall enough to work this gown…

• justme May 16, 2012 at 19:44 #

I agree. She’s not pulling it off and I’m bored.
      And the train aside, I don’t think I even like the dress to be honest.

• Elle May 16, 2012 at 19:54 #

Ditto the above about Eva’s height. The dress is really beautiful but I think there would have been much more drama if someone taller was wearing it.

5. Zineb May 16, 2012 at 18:22 #

Outstanding ! What’s Cannes without Eva !

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2012 at 18:24 #

“What’s Cannes without Eva !” TRUTH

6. fromchi-town May 16, 2012 at 18:22 #

OMG- this is stunning!! She looks beautiful. Wow – what a train!! She knows how to work a big gown. I agree with you FC, other than Cannes she is a snooze fest. But here I am in awe – she made me like a Marchesa gown. Gorgeous!!!

• fromchi-town May 16, 2012 at 18:23 #

Love her hair and make up. She looks perfect from head to toe.

7. admmgz May 16, 2012 at 18:22 #

Gorgeous!!

8. Yeliz May 16, 2012 at 18:23 #

WOW, just WOW!! I have no words, literally.
    I hope Eva will see your note.

9. NooG May 16, 2012 at 18:24 #

She was made for Marchesa. *sigh*

10. Mr. X May 16, 2012 at 18:24 #

She always wears the same dresses at Cannes. God, she is so obnoxious!

11. Riley May 16, 2012 at 18:25 #

Normally Eva is such an eyeroll, but I am swooning.

The gown is stunning, even though we’ve seen cousins of this gown of the red carpet before.

I hope she’s not wearing Atwoods ;)

12. Alina May 16, 2012 at 18:26 #

She looks amazing, but isn’t this type of dress what she always does at Cannes?

13. Li May 16, 2012 at 18:28 #

It is a stunning dress! But the train (though utterly frothy fantastic) is longer than she is tall. I don’t think it makes her look particularly statuesque, but only emphasizes her petite-ness.

14. bas May 16, 2012 at 18:32 #

Simply perfect.

15. dellavilla May 16, 2012 at 18:33 #

The gown is stunning, but Eva is too short for this, and also it reminded me of the Givenchy Beyonce worn on the MET BALL

16. M. May 16, 2012 at 18:33 #

That’s rocking a dress! Take notes K-Stew

17. robbie May 16, 2012 at 18:34 #

way too short for this dress. from the knee up its pretty but the train ruins it.

18. Emmeline May 16, 2012 at 18:36 #

I’m not a big fan of Marchesa, but I do appreciate that Eva went full force with a big, dramatic gown. Though I am a bit baffled as to how she keeps getting invited every year, as I only know her from her TV work.

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2012 at 18:38 #

She’s a L’Oreal girl.

• Emmeline May 16, 2012 at 18:54 #

I had no idea, thanks!

19. E May 16, 2012 at 18:41 #

Reminds me of this. For some reason I want to be wowed, but I’m not despite everything.

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2012 at 19:03 #

yes, she does love a train

20. Jennifer May 16, 2012 at 18:43 #

I get such a feeling of deja vu with this dress.

That being said, she looks phenomenal.

I cracked up at your comment on the back (Look Ma, no zipper!) Your letter to Eva made it even better.

I am so excited about Cannes. Your coverage is the best, bar none, of anything out there FC. I am in total favor of doing a Top 10 dresses of Cannes from 2008-2012 at the end of this :D

• Jennifer May 16, 2012 at 18:46 #

Addendum – since… 2008 if you click the Cannes comment. We should include 2007 (Top 10 gowns of the last 5 years) at the end. Then maybe Angelina’s yellow Ungaro gown can make it :)

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2012 at 19:03 #

21. Grace May 16, 2012 at 18:45 #

I was raving yesterday about Florence Welch looking ten feet tall. This is the opposite. Eva looks about 2 feet tall. Afwul.

22. Jordan May 16, 2012 at 18:46 #

WHY is Eva Longoria even at Cannes??!!

23. kennedy May 16, 2012 at 18:48 #

This looks like every other Marchesa gown… just more ill-fitting. I can’t say I share your enthusiasm for this gown, FC. She’s way too short for it and I don’t think she is working it. This look has been beaten to death by now.

24. Meg May 16, 2012 at 19:02 #

I hate Eva, why is she relevant on the Cannes Red Carpet, and why is she there every year? She’s far too short to pull this off. Gorgeous dress but I wish it had been on someone else, which is how I feel about most gowns Eva wears. Ugh.

25. shoko May 16, 2012 at 19:03 #

thanks to eva for making FC so happy I rarely read a review like that …and its so true no ugly zipper

26. HM May 16, 2012 at 19:06 #

Saw Lana Del Ray and Jessica Chastain when I went on your site FC and my reaction was ‘PLEASE DEAR GOD, SOMEONE NEEDS TO WEAR A SHOWSTOPPER ALREADY!!!’.

3 seconds later as I scrolled down, my prayers were answered!!!! She may not be an ‘Amazonian supermodel’ (loved that one!) but B**** SHUT IT DOWN!!! (or opened it up since it is just the opening of Cannes..lol!).

27. Parvati May 16, 2012 at 19:11 #

I feel I’ve already seen this type of gown several times on Eva Longoria. However, she does look stunning, especially compared to her usual more casual looks, which I find rather boring.

28. slashdot May 16, 2012 at 19:24 #

Eva Longoria + Cannes = huge, big statement gown, preferably with a humongous train. And it’s never her premiere! This is what I find so annoying. She’s just a L’Oreal face, that’s it, yet she seems to be always set to steal the limelight from the true protagonists of the films that are presented at this festival.
    To me, this is like she’s simply dressing for her own pleasure.

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2012 at 19:26 #

“To me, this is like she’s simply dressing for her own pleasure” – And what’s so wrong with that :D x

• slashdot May 16, 2012 at 19:35 #

Well, nothing, one can only wish to have such an opportunity! I guess I’m just annoyed of the fact that people with zero relevance in this festival get such high praises. I’d have nothing against Eva, or any other L’Oreal girl, if they actually did some acting in any of the films that are included at Cannes. Yes, I know, welcome to the corporate promotion world. :)

29. Hisadora May 16, 2012 at 19:26 #

It’s an amazing start for her…. this dress is exquisite

30. bm May 16, 2012 at 19:36 #

It’s an okay look for me. Not phenomenal or something.

31. Shreya May 16, 2012 at 20:06 #

How did you get into this thing?!?

32. MARLYN May 16, 2012 at 20:08 #

IF YOU WOULDN’T HAVE PUT THAT THIS WAS TODAY, AND JUST SHOW THE PIC, I WOULD HAVE SAID “UH, EVA A FEW YEARS AGO AT CANNES”………I SEEN IT BEFORE, SO NEXT, BUT STILL A BEAUTIFUL PIC FROM A FEW YEARS AGO!!!!

33. Rita May 16, 2012 at 20:15 #

“For 353 days of the year she’s a total snooze, but during Cannes she’s unstoppable.”
    That is 100% true and I wonder WHY is it? Why she wants so wear those tight, simple colored dresses with the most boring pair of shoes= black pumps the rest of the year? Doesn’t she get bored herself?

• Rita May 16, 2012 at 20:17 #

Btw this gown is GORGEOUS (like almost everything she wears during Cannes film festival)

34. Grace Patricia May 16, 2012 at 20:47 #

This dress is the double of her size and she seems too put too much effort on her “impressing” job. I love more effortless looks, like Diane’s one.

• gabis May 16, 2012 at 21:26 #

So true and that applies to ALL her looks unfortunately. I really don’t like her overall style and she reminds me way too much of Kim Kardashian with that never-changing-plastic-doll makeup.

35. Pablo May 16, 2012 at 21:26 #

For crying out loud, what a kick-start!! I’m in heaven!!

I don’t care if it’s similar to her white Pucci or if she’s just there as a L’Oreal face, Eva is a total pro at this impressive high octane glamour!! Luv her!!

What an opening ceremony, bring it on Cannes!!

ps-sorry if i’m too enthusiastic… :)

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2012 at 21:28 #

your enthusiasm is shared :D

• EmmaWoodhouse May 17, 2012 at 02:43 #

I am with you too! To me, it is reminiscent of Penelope’s lavender dress from last year but who the heck cares? This a fab, exciting, showstopping dress…exactly what I love about Cannes!!!!!! Sign my name at the end of your letter to Eva, FC! :D

36. cat May 16, 2012 at 21:39 #

God, I´m starting to loathe Marchesa. And Eva is only there because she is a L’oreal spokeswoman. Way too overdressed, trying to steal everybody’s thunder and she is not even in the movie. She’s certainly attractive, but the dress + her are a tacky combination.

37. Jcky May 16, 2012 at 21:39 #

LOVE HER !
    ” did what she does best at Cannes: shut the whole red carpet down. ” lol true thou

38. Christine May 16, 2012 at 22:45 #

This is definitely a cannes dress!

39. Hannah May 16, 2012 at 23:40 #

She has this moment ever year, always the same. An updo, with a fitted gown to the knee, then a assive, and by massive I mean longer than Eva is tall, even in heels, train, and diva pose.
    Thsi gown just reminds me a bit too much of the one Fergie wore at the Met Gala last year.

40. Amy May 17, 2012 at 00:28 #

nice but so overused. At first I thought it was an old picture beccause Eva and others celebs wore similar dresses at Cannes the previous years. I want her to try something else.

41. pipsqueak May 17, 2012 at 03:20 #

Eva really knows how to work a train, especially for a short girl. Everybody raved about what’s-her-face at Met wearing a Donna Karan with a long train. I think Eva pulled this gown off so much better.

42. dilpreet May 17, 2012 at 03:44 #

repetitive or not. she looks beautiful!

43. Tina May 17, 2012 at 06:12 #

It’s a nice dress, but I do feel like she’s too short to pull this off completely. Maybe someone of Penelope Cruz’s stature, or Charlize Theron, maybe.

44. Emi May 17, 2012 at 06:29 #

I think this is the kind of gown we all (or at least most of us) dream to wear once, or more than once :-) in a lifetime. It’s a dreamy dress and she totally pulled it off.

45. PaulyneZI May 17, 2012 at 08:21 #

This dress is from the Marchesa’s fall 2011 collection :

BTW she looks beautiful as always ;)

46. Gianluca May 17, 2012 at 09:38 #

It’s so Mcqueen…shame on Marchesa

47. Jess2 May 17, 2012 at 09:43 #

She looks great but I think she needs a bit more height or a shorter train as I think the proportion feels a bit off. The dress detail is exquisite though and I love the bottom picture. I look forward to some even better looks from Eva.

48. Prudence May 17, 2012 at 23:55 #

here is eva in elie saab! https://twitter.com/#!/ElieSaabWorld/status/203248684035612673/photo/1
    im more excited about this then that marchesa dress she has worn 100 times before

49. Saara May 18, 2012 at 08:26 #

I’m so over Marchesa.

But kudos to Eva for going big.