26.01.12

Front Row @ Elie Saab Spring 2012 Couture

Bérénice Bejo: The Oscar-nominated actress took her front-row seat at Elie Saab’s Spring 2012 Couture show yesterday following a succession of red carpet appearances wearing the designer’s threads. On this occasion she wore a raspberry fitted Resort 2012 dress with a ruffled detail on the hip and a plunging neckline. She accessorized with a matching clutch and black YSL sandals. As an Oscar nominee and considering her front-row appearance, I think it’s safe to say that she’s most definitely going to be wearing Elie Saab on February 26.

Olga Kurylenko: The Ukrainian actress donned a vibrant yellow Elie Saab Spring 2012 dress with lace panels on the front. Like the runway model she also paired her dress with matching sandals.

Sonam Kapoor: I have featured the Indian actress many times since Cannes Film Festival and I’m more entranced with her with every look. She has worn a variety of designers, but on this occasion she proudly represented her heritage wearing a traditional sari by Deepti Pruthi. This look was paired with an Elie Saab lace shrug and bejewelled flats. When she swept into the venue, everyone near me was whispering, “Who’s that?” I told those sitting near me that she’s the “Angelina Jolie of India”. I’m not entirely sure if that is true, but she did command your attention much like Ms Jolie. I know I always say this, but she is even more beautiful in the flesh. She is also surprisingly tall, as most celebrities I meet are shorter than expected.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Laura Whitmore In Stella McCartney - 2012 National Television Awards

Laura Whitmore In Stella McCartney – 2012 National Television Awards

Jessica Alba's MiH Jeans Cropped Woven Cotton Jacket, MiH Jeans Star Print Silk Crepe Shirt And Tory Burch Robinson Satchel

Jessica Alba’s MiH Jeans Cropped Woven Cotton Jacket, MiH Jeans Star Print Silk Crepe Shirt And Tory Burch Robinson Satchel

35 Responses to Front Row @ Elie Saab Spring 2012 Couture

1. Diana January 26, 2012 at 13:15 #

gosh FC. sonam kapoor does look REALLY stunning. that elie saab shrug looks awesome on her slender shoulders. What a beauty.

2. Alina January 26, 2012 at 13:19 #

Sonam looks stunning.

3. maryam January 26, 2012 at 13:25 #

sonam looks beautiful just ditch the earrings

4. Lalitha January 26, 2012 at 13:33 #

Most times Sonam has a super sense of fashion, knows colours and silhouettes that suit her and also wears fab baubles (her mom is a jewellery designer). The colour of the sari is lovely on Sonam but in this instance, a lace shrug, paired with this sari (which in itself is fine minus the not-so-fab blouse)is a bit of a mish-mash. I am all about changing it up but err, it’s a bit of a miss in this case. Maybe the Elie Saab team asked her to wear the shrug, in any event, I am happy she wore a sari. I live in Europe and adore sari sightings in this part of the world: go Sonam!

5. Sibtain Remtulla January 26, 2012 at 13:41 #

Sonam Kapoor carries the look with utter elegance and grace. She truly looks like an angel. The classy Elie Saab sari does full justice to her indefinable beauty.

• aisha January 26, 2012 at 14:20 #

its not an elie saab saari. its deepti pruthi..only the shrug is elie saab..i think aishwariya has worn this shrug when she showcased longines watches at a racing event!

6. EmmaWoodhouse January 26, 2012 at 13:43 #

I’ve never seen Sonam look more beautiful! The sari is gorgeous, especially paired with the shrug!
    I don’t like Olga’s dress–didn’t like the sheer bodice on the runway and don’t like the nude-lined one on her.
    The color of Berenice’s dress is fantastic but I wish she’d kept the belt.

7. Nat January 26, 2012 at 14:14 #

Love love love Sonam Kapoor’s look! How graceful and refreshing from what we are used to see.

Berenice Bejo’s dress is beautiful, however I wish she kept the belt and wore some different shoes…Which I think is exactly the same thing I already said for another Elie Saab look of hers some days ago.
    I do think she has good taste in picking dresses, though, so I’m excited to see which Elie Saab she’ll wear at the Oscars (I she does wear ES of course).

8. Abya January 26, 2012 at 14:20 #

Dear FC,
    I always look forward to your ‘sonam kapoor’ posts. I love her for her lavish style and her exuberant beauty. I have never seen her in real life, but I adore her. The sari is a ‘Deepti Pruthi’ creation and it goes perfectly with the salmon pink Elie Saab shrug. I believe Aishwarya Rai had worn the same shrug a while back. Elie Saab is truly the best couturier in the world of fashion. I love the sheer brilliance of his work. I say BDOTW worthy

• Fashion Critic January 26, 2012 at 14:35 #

Thank you for the ID. I think the look is a worthy contender. Does anyone else agree?

• Diana January 26, 2012 at 14:48 #

+1. I AGREE. She looks awesome

• Sibtain Remtulla January 26, 2012 at 14:58 #

I completely agree!!

• SS January 26, 2012 at 19:08 #

I totally agree. She looks like a princess.

• kiwi January 27, 2012 at 11:41 #

Fully agree, I am entranced. teretically, the shrug should have been too much.. but it works and oh she loks lovely.. thank u for featuringher FC. :)

9. Uzair January 26, 2012 at 14:46 #

I;m so excited to see Sonam wear a sari, except my only gripe with her look is how it manages to age her. The high collar is very distracting with everything that she has going on. I’d much rather she wear a smaller choli (blouse) without the collar. And this is a very personal preference, but I hate sari’s paired with shrugs/coats. I’m too used to seeing my grandmothers wear those in the winter and seeing it on Sonam just takes me back to that. Thankfully it’s not a wooly cardigan but a beautiful Elie Saab shrug. If she ditched the earrings and belted her shrug over the sari with a beautiful ethnic buckled belt, and maybe styled her hair down, that would’ve been a home run.
    PS: Sonam BFF and stylist Pernia Qureshi wore a white sari to a Chanel Couture show a few years ago. Loved that look!

• Uzair January 26, 2012 at 14:47 #

*Sonam’s BFF…

10. Disneyrollergirl January 26, 2012 at 14:47 #

The sari is gorgeous but the shrug is fighting with it. Espesh with that high neck and those earrings.

11. Nia January 26, 2012 at 14:57 #

Soonam looks beautiful. Def. a BTOTW contender.

I am SO happy to be able to comment again. I have been reading since the site revamp (which looks great), but was unable to comment for some reason it feels good to be back!

12. Nia January 26, 2012 at 14:58 #

Sorry, that should be Sonam.

13. Btownboy January 26, 2012 at 15:33 #

The Angelina Jolie of India is an upcoming actress called Esha Gupta. Or so everyone says. I see the resemblance a little bit too though.
    I have a feeling she’s one to look out for. She has an interesting taste in fashion too.

14. NooG January 26, 2012 at 16:19 #

As an Indian it’s exciting to see fellow Indians finally wearing clothes from our heritage. Embrace it people! Saris are so graceful (i.e. look above). :)

15. Clayskin January 26, 2012 at 16:44 #

I just came across this close up of Sonam Kapoor from the front row. http://www.sonam-kapoor.net/gallery/albums/images/Events/paris/137712232.jpg She’s perfection. So elegant, she’s like an indian queen. I love to see more elie saab on her.

16. AuntieChrist January 26, 2012 at 19:04 #

No She is more like Emma Roberts of India.

17. Crack January 26, 2012 at 20:52 #

Good she is wearing a saree…but it is killed by poor draping and unnecessary shrug….btw Angelina of India, really FC? I think she is diametrically opposite… as she is just known for her fashion sense ;)

18. TeaAtTwo January 26, 2012 at 22:14 #

I would have like to of seen how Cameron Diaz would have would have worked her black and white couture week colour scheme in the front row of this show.

19. Ariel January 26, 2012 at 22:18 #

Sonam kapoor looks the best here! Love the “fusion” she has going on! But Angelina of Bollywood would most likely be Priyanka Chopra. I agree she’s more like the Anne Hathaway or Camilla Belle of Bollywood. But that’s just my opinion.

• Ariel January 27, 2012 at 02:11 #

Also I would love to see some more Sabyasachi coverage. Anushka Sharma wore a Sabyasachi sari to the Apsara Awards the other day. She is fastly becoming a fashionista like Sonam Kapoor! Also at the Apsara Awards were Kareena in Paul Ka and Tarina Patel in a Marchesa dress that was worn before by Selena Gomez. Also Sridevi in Elie Saab. Hope to see some coverage of Bollywood stars during their Awards season! After all, the sari is a big success on this site! Thanks FC!

20. Jess January 26, 2012 at 23:49 #

I think Sonam looks a mess…too much going on. Plus, I can’t stop staring at her belly button

21. ash January 27, 2012 at 01:59 #

hello,
    found this pic of sonam at the gautlier showcasing..i dont know who makes the suit but the color is yumm. i’m sure u will know:)
    love,
    ash:)

22. delhi fashionista January 27, 2012 at 12:27 #

dear fashion critic
    Please watch sonam’s movie Aisha…you shall love her style in that…you can google or youtube it… Xoxo

• PB January 27, 2012 at 15:37 #

True, you should check it out. It’s a Bollywood interpretation of Emma (Jane Austen’s novel), and she’s dressed beautifully, as is the actress who plays her best friend. Worth a look.

23. ria January 27, 2012 at 15:40 #

Sonam has an amazing sense of style..I don’t know how she always pulls it off so well!! + she’s not about big labels only..she rather chooses what looks best on her..this one is definitely a BDOTW contender!!

24. Ritika January 27, 2012 at 20:40 #

I love than Sonam has made a mark deep enough to be featured regularly on RCFA. It amazes me every time, that she takes huge risks, and has never played it safe as most Bollywood heroines do. Adore her style, but yeah, this one isnt doing it for me, at all. I think the saree is tacky, the blouse even more so. Though she does make it work more than any one else would have. The shrug is just exquisite. It is the high point of this look.