Menu

February 24, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

Cynthia Erivo Wore Prabal Gurung To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Cynthia Erivo Wore Prabal Gurung To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Cynthia Erivo, queen of the big gowns during awards season, was always going to impress at the 2020 NAACP Image Awards held at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium on Saturday (February 22) in Pasadena, California, right?

Almost. Maybe. Actually, not so much.

This Prabal Gurung Fall 2020 dress is beautiful.   From the colour, to the dramatic contrast peplum to the tulle appliques.

But the skirt.

The length was like a dagger to the heart.

Granted this look was just 12 days off the runway, and the eagerness to wear the newest looks is exciting for us all, but this was crying out for the hemline to be shortened, via invisible stitching, or even just hidden under that peplum.

The look also sits very low on the chest.

This had so much potential, but ended up being a disappointing, and frankly shocking miss from Cynthia.

Prabal Gurung Fall 2020

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , , ,

Janelle Monáe Wore Balmain To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Janelle Monáe Wore Balmain To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Tracee Ellie Ross Wore Christopher John Rogers To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Tracee Ellie Ross Wore Christopher John Rogers To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

17 Responses to Cynthia Erivo Wore Prabal Gurung To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

1. Noor February 25, 2020 at 6:38 am #

I like runaway version. The length & the fit is on point not on Cynthia.

2. Guest February 25, 2020 at 4:07 am #
  3. Guest February 25, 2020 at 12:24 am #

Doesn’t fit. Next.

4. Guest February 25, 2020 at 12:19 am #

I was so hoping to see someone take this to the red carpet, but wow I cant believe they let it on like this. I don’t understand as an artist herself that she’d be ok with representing another artist’s work this way. She would have looked amazing if it fit.

5. Guest February 24, 2020 at 10:58 pm #

So true about so much rush to wear the latest clothes that they totally ignored the basics about the clothes actually fitting. If another week was it would have taken to get the dress properly fitted and tailored than they should have waited and it would have been a sensational look. Would have Much better than her Oscar night gowns. Looks messy and the knockoff version as is.

6. SarahS95 February 24, 2020 at 10:04 pm #

Oh man if the fit was there this would have been a BDOTW for sure I’m so disappointed – hope someone else gives this a run with the right fit

7. Guest February 24, 2020 at 9:48 pm #

I didn’t understand what you meant about the length until I saw the runway version. You are so right! Her smile, though, melts me ? Hope to see it next time with a better outfit and lesser fit issues

8. Sharon M February 24, 2020 at 8:40 pm #

Definitely needs to be shortened, but the disaster is the bodice. It doesn’t fit, it’s too low, and the seaming of the cups is terrible.

9. Los_NGLS February 24, 2020 at 8:21 pm #

I don’t think the bodice is that ill-fitting so much as it is falling.

I have a theory that if someone stood on a chair on each side of Cynthia, grabbed the bodice from the top of each side and pulled, and then if a 3rd person max strength double sided taped it to her before it started falling, then all of this dresses’s problems would be fixed.

10. Guest February 24, 2020 at 7:42 pm #

The whole thing just needs to be pulled UP! That would take care of the 2 inches at the bottom + the too low top!

11. Guest February 24, 2020 at 7:42 pm #

I would have liked this is it was a short dress (the 2nd half was just the short skirt portion). In addition, it is ill-fitting in the chest. Overall, not terrible, but could be a ton better.

12. Guest February 24, 2020 at 7:28 pm #

The gown is better as a frothy romantic pooly gown than a midi as presented on the runway, so I don’t mind the hem. The bust is what is the problem. The booby bust that doesn’t match the romantic, dreamy Monet-painting pond vibe of the gown.

13. Paola102 February 24, 2020 at 7:20 pm #

Another beautiful dress falling victim to a lack of custom fit….professional seamstress can fix this in less than a day…

14. Guest February 24, 2020 at 6:56 pm #

The small ill-fitted cheap-looking bodice and the overly long skirt do ruin the look, too bad b/c I’m loving the artful peplum.

15. Phee phee February 24, 2020 at 6:38 pm #

The length is sad but also the fit on the chest. The bodice is way off in fit.
    Its a no although I do love her earrings and the peplum detail.

16. Guest February 24, 2020 at 6:37 pm #

Neck up, Cynthia looks terrific. Neck down, the dress is gorgeous but is too long for her and has some fit issues around in the chest area.

17. Guest February 24, 2020 at 6:37 pm #

My oh my
    Look at this gown.
    The prettiest thing ever.

The bust cups dont fit and the length is too long but still, this is a knock out

The shade of green also is fresh.