Menu

12.01.19 Best Of

Fashion Critics’ 2019 Golden Globe Awards Roundup

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Mahershala Ali In Dzojchen - Premiere Of HBO's 'True Detective' Season 3

Mahershala Ali In Dzojchen – Premiere Of HBO’s ‘True Detective’ Season 3

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

40 Responses to Fashion Critics’ 2019 Golden Globe Awards Roundup

1. Chiara January 16, 2019 at 5:33 pm #

Julia Roberts is in everything the best and she looks always Amazing. Totally agree with that.

2. Grace January 15, 2019 at 3:04 pm #

Loooooove these roundups!!!!

3. Iva Tomic January 13, 2019 at 9:27 pm #

This is my favorite part of the awards season. 🙂

Anyway, I agree with most of the choices here (Regina over Julia), but I still cannot get on board with Emily Blunt’s look (so disappointing).

4. vicky January 13, 2019 at 7:21 pm #

Totally agree, Julia looked sensational! Refreshing when a smart trouser outfit instead of “another” gown makes the biggest impact!

5. Renne January 13, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

Claire Foy should get the “ugliest dress I have ever seen” award.

6. Renne January 13, 2019 at 6:49 pm #

Gosh Charlize gets the biggest YAWN from me.

7. Caroline January 13, 2019 at 5:35 pm #

Agree completely with most overrated award. That Valentino dress was a mess. Disagree with Julia as best dressed.

8. Hannah January 13, 2019 at 4:15 pm #

Thanks for the round up FC; hilarious as always!

YES to Julia Roberts. What a mega babe.

Thanks for your amazing coverage of the night, as well :). Always amazed by the hard work and dedication that goes into this blog.

9. Bente Keydal January 13, 2019 at 1:03 pm #

I’m so happy that you acknowledge Caitriona Balfe in custom Moschino. Fashion-forward, fun and fabulous.

10. Becca January 13, 2019 at 3:51 am #

Halfway down the line the descriptions became hilarious. I laughed at some of the awards. You certainly have a funny way of describing some of the attires worn. Some of them hit the nail. Thank you for entertaining me.

• Catherine Kallon January 13, 2019 at 2:24 pm #

11. Real Nat39 January 13, 2019 at 3:50 am #

Stephan James won the night(!) as far as I’m concerned. Didn’t care much for the ladies..Regina is a good pick, that gown is a beauty on her.

Nice roundup 🙂 only perhaps disagree with the “May have bitten off more than she could chew” Award – it’s certainly not the nicest gown, but Sofia styled and carried it well.

12. Ruth January 13, 2019 at 1:06 am #

Stephen james, I don’t like his shoes. They don’t go. They look too casual and too out of place for a black tie event like the golden globes.

13. Ruth January 13, 2019 at 1:05 am #

Gemma Chan,overrated? Thats a big lie. She was the best dressed. Did u see the glorious back of that gown? So stunning. The colour against her skin,the hair and makeup, etc STUNNING.Even her co-star constance wu looked amazing but she’s no where to be found on this list.

Dakota fanning,now thats overrated and boring as hell. Another princess dress, how predictable.

Even Regina king, we have seen that type of dress a million times. A metallic column dress, ground-breaking *sacarm*

• Catherine Kallon January 13, 2019 at 9:21 am #

Hello Ruth, it wasn’t a lie, it’s merely my opinion. It was just a lot of fabric for me, she had better looks on her promo tour.

I didn’t like the colour of Constance Wu’s gown on her. In another colour I may have warmed to it.

Thanks your comment, I respect different opinion. It doesn’t mean either of us are right or wrong. It is what it is,

• Iva January 13, 2019 at 9:25 pm #

As FC already explained – this is her opinion (with which I completely agree, at least regrading Gemma’s look at GG).
      Readers can express their opinion (cast a vote) here: https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2019/01/07/who-was-your-best-dressed-at-the-2019-golden-globe-awards/

14. TeaAtTwo January 12, 2019 at 11:47 pm #

Overall, it was Such a dismal ceremony fashion wise. I hope the celebs and their stylists step it up for the rest of awards season.

15. Isabela January 12, 2019 at 9:52 pm #

I’m really surprised about most of your picks!

16. Fanny January 12, 2019 at 9:13 pm #

Spot on summary as usual.
    Thank you for the great coverage FC!

• Catherine Kallon January 13, 2019 at 9:23 am #

17. Silvia January 12, 2019 at 8:14 pm #

Is Kate Mara expecting?

• phee January 12, 2019 at 8:56 pm #

apparently yes she is!

18. JHH January 12, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

What was the result of the reader survey for best dressed of this awards show? For me, runner up and number one would be switched but I love this roundup, especially the over-accessorized again award which was so was well earned. All of the nonconventionals were duds for me but opinions differ.

19. CreoleLady January 12, 2019 at 7:15 pm #

I would swap best dressed with runner-up but otherwise totally agree with this list. Fabulous coverage of a jam-packed weekend, thank you RCFA!

20. Csilla January 12, 2019 at 7:14 pm #

Yay! My best dressed was also Julia. 🙂

• Catherine Kallon January 13, 2019 at 9:24 am #

So chic. She was the only one to really make me swoin in the night, along with Stephan James

21. Ksenia Bradner January 12, 2019 at 6:52 pm #

WHY did people not like Janelle’s look? Do they just like boring like Emmy and Dakota?

• Catherine Kallon January 12, 2019 at 7:00 pm #

For me there was too much going on that it became a bit comical.

• CreoleLady January 12, 2019 at 7:12 pm #

I liked Janelle Monae’s look. It was the, um, “golden globe” on her head which put me off a bit — which is why I can understand the “over accessorize” award. But since this event was the Golden Globes and I adore her cheeky subversiveness, I have come to love the look h2t.

• p January 13, 2019 at 3:37 pm #

She looked gimicky. Same with gaga who lost me with the blue hair.

22. Susie January 12, 2019 at 6:43 pm #

Phoebe’s red sequined dress was gorgeous but she didn’t really have the presence to sell it. Imagine if Gemma Chan had worn that dress…

• Catherine Kallon January 12, 2019 at 7:00 pm #

I agree Gemma would’ve really nailed it, but I loved it nonetheless

• TeaAtTwo January 12, 2019 at 11:39 pm #

Gemma Chan in that red dress would have been amazeballs.

23. TeaAtTwo January 12, 2019 at 6:31 pm #

Is that Halle award implying that it’s dated or that she still looks 36?

• James January 12, 2019 at 6:59 pm #

Dated which is pretty much her style in general. Shame because she looks better than women half her age yet she doesn’t have a stylist that understands and uses that advantage.

• TeaAtTwo January 12, 2019 at 11:44 pm #

I would say Amber Heard could have had that award too but that look was would have been so dated even in 2002.

• Catherine Kallon January 13, 2019 at 9:26 am #

Yes it meant dated. Could’ve easily been the same dress she worn when she won the Oscars hence the date

24. Eni January 12, 2019 at 6:29 pm #

My best dressed was Julia too. She looked amazing.

25. Katey January 12, 2019 at 6:09 pm #

Yes. What did amber think??? Seriously?
    For me emily blunt was the best dressed. That alexander mcqueen dress is beautiful. All the details, the interesting silverish colour. Loved julia robert too but her dress not interesting enough for my taste. The others looked so boring…

• Catherine Kallon January 13, 2019 at 9:28 am #

Agreed. It was a moment I didn’t feel was truly appreciated. Did you see it close up? Masterpiece