Menu

06.08.18

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Club Monaco - Daisy Jenks & Charlie Van Straubenzee's Wedding

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex spent her first birthday as a royal attending the wedding of one of Prince Harry’s close friends, Charlie Van Straubenzee, on Saturday (August 4) in Frensham, England.

The Duchess wore a colour-block shirtdress from Club Monaco with her go-to Aquazzura pumps, Shaun Leane diamond Signature Tusk bangle, Linda Farrow LFL512 sunglasses and a Philip Treacy hat.

Cutting right to at the chase. I don’t like the look.

Aside from the fact that I feel like this is terribly drab and uninspiring, who wears black to a wedding?

Yes, there are blocks of colour on the skirt and yes, she probably didn’t want to upstage the bride, but I’ll take another blush frock over this any day.

I’m so disappointed that I’m able to count on one hand Meghan’s looks that I have loved since she became a royal.

Insert Tyra Banks “We were all rooting for you” gif here.

Credit: Getty

Vanessa Hudgens In Marchesa - 'Dog Days' LA Premiere

Vanessa Hudgens In Marchesa – ‘Dog Days’ LA Premiere

Nina Dobrev In Valentino - 'Dog Days' LA Premiere

Nina Dobrev In Valentino – ‘Dog Days’ LA Premiere

39 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Club Monaco – Daisy Jenks & Charlie Van Straubenzee’s Wedding

1. amy August 7, 2018 at 10:31 pm #

I like the dress. I have no qualm with the colors.It looks clean and appropriate, not every wedding outfit needs to be brights, printed or else. This is simple and chic. I saw some pics of her with guests and she looked lovely without doing too much

2. Caroline August 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm #

Not bad overall but terrible for the occasion.

3. Sassqueen August 7, 2018 at 3:26 pm #

I love the shape of the dress. I don’t like her in sleeveless dresses so the length of sleeves is very flattering and her hair is beautiful. I like this look but i was surprised that she is going to a wedding in this. Just not a ‘ royal going to a wedding ‘ look . But overall she looks beautiful. And those sunglasses are to die for .i hope she will keep those since they suit her face very nicely. Love the shoes too.

4. Rebecca August 7, 2018 at 2:50 pm #

Love the shoes!

5. Iva August 7, 2018 at 9:10 am #

Ok dress. For the office. Not for a wedding.
    I also didn’t like her bra showing in some pictures (but it could happen to anyone).

I’m not particularly fond of both Kate’s and Meghan style. It mostly dull.
    I don’t get why they can’t be (dress) more like some other European royals (protocol?).
    However, Kate somehow always manages to look elegant, even in those same-old coat-dresses (which I despise). Meghan, on the other hand…

6. Johanna August 7, 2018 at 7:46 am #

It’s not a bad look per se but it’s something I could have worn to the office (in fact I have something quite similar today at work). So for a wedding I get why FC would find it a bit drab. I think (hope) she might have a bit of a necessary adjustment period going from Hollywood glam/casual yogi to a very formal environment and finding some kind of space in between. After all, it’s only been a few months. *crossing fingers*. And let’s face it, looking at her sister in law may not help her, while she is always appropriate she is definintly not very fashion forward or a risk taker in any way, and a lot of choices do age her quite a bit.

7. Caitlin August 7, 2018 at 12:11 am #

Looks like she had to dash out from her office job to a wedding she forgot she had on. Black shoes don’t go with navy blue dress (I know it’s an old-fashioned rule but duh she’s royal now, it’s a basic mistake she shouldn’t be making), and everyone saying the stiff/prim hats don’t work with her breezy dresses is spot on.

Anyone accusing Catherine of bias is missing the irony of their own.

8. TeaAtTwo August 6, 2018 at 6:36 pm #

Queen Elizabeth wears colour regularly, why can’t Meghan and Catherine? Also another non-British label *sigh *

9. brat August 6, 2018 at 6:00 pm #

The dress is ok, I actually have no problem with dark colors at a wedding. it does seem a little casual and reminds me of office wear, she could have chosen something more romantic and pretty. At least she’s wearing my favorite fit and flare silhouette, it suits her best. The hat is a bit too formal for the dress. I like the hair and makeup though. Meghan is not a style icon and it’s looking doubtful she will ever become one, but there are people who keep trying to make this a thing. With no success. As long as her outfits continue to be mediocre and uninspired, you will hear criticism, get used to it as she doesn’t seem to be upping her game anytime soon.

10. Felicia August 6, 2018 at 5:39 pm #

I’m glad I went to look for other pictures, the dress is actually great and not boring at all!

I love it!

• Vizual Ninja August 6, 2018 at 6:19 pm #

Thanks for this Felicia, the skirt is a lot more interesting than it looks in the picture above. I think for some reason people had unrealistically high fashion expectations of her, I don’t think her style was that groundbreaking before she was married any ways. I honestly don’t feel like she’s worn anything ‘bad’ since getting married but people always seem to be harsh and disappointed…I don’t get it. Back to the outfit, I’d wear it more for the office than a wedding but it’s a nice outfit to me.

• Alina August 6, 2018 at 7:07 pm #

I agree about people’s unrealistic expectations. I think they are mistaking her style with her character’s on Suits.

• TeaAtTwo August 7, 2018 at 4:40 pm #

Glad to see some colour in there, the top would be better in pink.

11. JHH August 6, 2018 at 5:00 pm #

Her hair looks gorgeous here and I love the hat. I just do not love the hat with the dress. The dress is okay. There is nothing inherently wrong with it. It is the kind of very wearable dress that I would buy to wear to work — not sure that it is perfect for a wedding but I’ll take this look sans hat any day of the week.

12. NZ August 6, 2018 at 3:18 pm #

I actually like the dress and I don’t see how it’s inappropriate. It’s breezy and elegant. I just wish she hadn’t worn the hat, it feels too formal and it stiffens the whole look.

13. Cristina August 6, 2018 at 2:45 pm #

I’ll stick to my opinion and say that the stiffness of the hats doesn’t match the breeziness of her dresses. I absolutely love the dress and it’s something I would wear…but to incorporate that heavy black hat with it to a wedding…kinda looks forced, doesn’t it? It’s like picking up elements from different styles, the hat, the belt, the glasses, and hoping they’ll match based on colour.

14. meme August 6, 2018 at 2:28 pm #

I like this look a lot. It looks breezy and comfy. I never wear pastels. We don’t in NYC LOL

15. Andy August 6, 2018 at 2:14 pm #

Catherine always get nice reviews from you when her style is boring to death but you ALWAYS have to criticize Meghan, this blog is starting to look like Daily Mail

• SilentVisitor August 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm #

Saying blog is starting to look like the Daily Mail ( I checked what that is; I wish I never did ) is too far… CK has an opinion which you can of course disagree with but your Daily Mail Statement is just plain incorrect

I assume that given her past profession, Meghan is held to a much higher standard fashion wise than Catherine could ever be. I also had high expectations for Meghan because she actually had a style which she has neutered since getting married.

This look is ok to me; she looks nice and given the huge noise around her, I think it was best for her to try to disappear in the crowd ( if that’s possible )

• Patrícia August 7, 2018 at 1:25 am #

I do not endorse the Daily Mail remark, but I must say that I also find it strange that the blog has been so consistently tough on Meghan, in particular by comparison of its reviews of Catherine’s outfits, which are usually pretty boring.

• Patrícia August 7, 2018 at 1:30 am #

I do not endorse the Daily Mail remark, but I must say that I also find it odd that the blog is always so tough on Meghan and so lenient on Catherine (who, in my opinion, is always pretty boring).

Meghan always looks very good, in my opinion. This is not my favorite outfit of hers to date, but still not deserving a bashing by any stretch of the imagination.

• brat August 7, 2018 at 3:39 am #

Catherine has remarked time and time again on how boring she finds the Duchess of Cambridge ‘s style.

She was much more excited for Meghan’s introduction to the royal family than she ever was for Kate and that is a fact.
          She has admitted to being a fan, part of being a fan doesn’t mean she has to say she likes the bloody clothes when she doesn’t.

It’s really that simple and Meghan has had a very uninspired introduction as far as her royal fashion. In the opinion of many of us on this blog. I, for one, have been thoroughly unimpressed.

It’s a matter of opinion. Some people love everything she wears. There’s no accounting for Taste, but they are entitled to their own opinion.

16. Conejo Literario August 6, 2018 at 2:00 pm #

I think she looks Ok, i would totally wear that outfit. Btw, I love how in love they look!!

17. gabis August 6, 2018 at 1:59 pm #

It is one thing to take note as why a breeze dress liker hers is criticized over “season appropriateness” simply because of the darker colour but Prince Harry wearing 3 layers of clothes plus a black/navy suit in the same summer heat gets a pass.
    If the problem is the season appropriateness, Meghan’s outfit is way more summery than Harry’s.
    So I don’t think this should a parameter here.

• brat August 6, 2018 at 5:43 pm #

Nobody cares about what Harry wears, he’s always appropriate and boring, he has never been covered on this site and neither has his brother. I didn’t see you making this point, not once on any of Catherine’s posts .

• Mel August 7, 2018 at 6:44 am #

Harry was the best man, I doubt he chose his outfit

18. Mady August 6, 2018 at 1:36 pm #

I have to say I love it. It’s very elegant, the hat is gorgeous and the shoes are to die for. I like her simple styling, very nice!

• Susie August 6, 2018 at 5:15 pm #

I think this is one of her best post-wedding looks.

• Jerusa August 6, 2018 at 6:50 pm #

+2 ! ITA

• Sabrina August 6, 2018 at 11:41 pm #

Seriously, I love this look. But as Felicia stated, this picture doesn’t do the dress justice. Look at the other guests, the dresscode obviously isn’t that formal. She looks classy and summery. And I love the vintage vibe that the glasses in combination with the bangles give me.

19. Abby August 6, 2018 at 1:28 pm #

It’s navy blue, not black. She looks fantastic and perfectly appropriate for a summer church wedding.

• Sabrina August 6, 2018 at 11:41 pm #

• Isabela August 7, 2018 at 2:43 am #

20. Alina August 6, 2018 at 1:21 pm #

I think it’s okay. Nothing extraordinary, but not bad either.

21. justme August 6, 2018 at 1:13 pm #

It’s not spectacular but she looks nice. She was among the best dressed at the wedding tbh.

I saw a video of people and photographers yelling her name and I cringed. I’d pick a low profile outfit too.

22. James August 6, 2018 at 1:06 pm #

Another reason why I miss Michelle Obama (off to watch some Youtube videos on her stunning looks lol). She knew how NOT to bore us with samey boring clothes. I want COLORS in Meghan’s wardrobe and mosty clothes that FIT her bodytype. She always looks like she is drowning in most of her outfits. Kinda depressing 🙁

23. Fiona-Brasil August 6, 2018 at 12:43 pm #

I don’t know where to start here…Harry is so dashing, so elegant, it is like they are heading to a different event.I don’t think she is event appropriate but I must say,I like her look , perhaps for another occasion.Also the styling, this hat, clutch, seems too formal for the outfit, something is odd…

24. Hannah August 6, 2018 at 12:18 pm #

I have to say I like this look. I like the colour blocking and even though it’s mostly black (I thought it’s navy tbh) it feels summery to me.
    It’s not the most interesting look, but it’s ok.

• pinksugar August 6, 2018 at 6:34 pm #

I agree. I don’t get all the fuss about this being a bad look. It’s very season and event appropriate. It’s not the most exciting thing she has ever worn, but also not the worst. It looks navy to me as well, and I don’t think a person has to wear pastels or brights to attend a summer function, that’s just silly to me.