Menu

July 26, 2018 Runway To Red Carpet

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Carolina Herrera – Sentebale Polo 2018

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attended the Sentebale Polo held at the Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club this afternoon (July 26) in Windsor, England, alongside Prince Harry, who is staging a charity fundraising polo match in aid of children in Africa living with HIV and Aids.

I know I say this every day, but TODAY is the hottest day of the year in the UK, with temperatures expected to reach a record high of 36 degrees, so I was a little surprised by her look on this occasion.

The Duchess of Sussex, did look elegant in a ’50s-style Carolina Herrera belted wrap dress, but I wish she hadn’t reverted back to her love for all things navy.

The look was kept fresh with her J.Crew clutch and nude Aquazzura pumps, with a pair of chic Tom Ford ‘Emma’ shades providing the finishing touch.

J. Crew Fan Rattan Clutch
Tom Ford Emma Sunglasses

Credit: Vogue.com & Carolina Herrera

'The Spy Who Dumped Me' LA Premiere

‘The Spy Who Dumped Me’ LA Premiere

Amandla Stenberg In Mulberry - 'The Darkest Minds’ LA Screening

Amandla Stenberg In Mulberry – ‘The Darkest Minds’ LA Screening

42 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Carolina Herrera – Sentebale Polo 2018

1. amy July 29, 2018 at 6:12 am #

She looks cute and elegant

2. JHH July 27, 2018 at 9:18 pm #

Catherine, You do not have to defend yourself to the MeganStans on this blog. Your work over the years speaks for itself. One of the things that I like about this site is that you do not attack people or looks but simply express a well thought out opinion — I may disagree but that is part of the fun of this site in that people can express opinions on fashion without attacking others.

• 2lc July 28, 2018 at 12:11 am #

If you go back into the earlier years of this site she definitely used to criticize celebrities about more than fashion. She used to be quite different and could be vicious when she wanted to be. Especially about Jessica Biel and Miley Cyrus lol

• brat July 28, 2018 at 5:49 pm #

Her website, her opinion isn’t it.

3. Noemi July 27, 2018 at 1:47 pm #

100% chic. One of her best outfits as a Duchess.

4. Fee July 27, 2018 at 3:59 am #

I wish this was in a bright colour and/or pattern with a lighter fabric. The style really suits her though.

5. CreoleLady July 27, 2018 at 1:47 am #

Pretty. Navy is my dark neutral for work and I wear it quite a bit in the summer in temperatures topping 90 degrees F. Blush and navy clearly are her go-to colors. Imo, this is work attire for her and navy works. She looks good and very appropriate given this event’s purpose.

• SilentVisitor July 27, 2018 at 12:29 pm #

I find the color drab but around me work clothes are either black, grey or Navy (for color ) LOL

• CreoleLady July 27, 2018 at 11:20 pm #

Yeah, can get dull, that’s for sure. So personally I try to up my accessories game (that rattan clutch!). Interestingly, she stands out amidst all of the prints those around her are wearing in a good way for me. This reminds me of Michelle Obama — rich color, novel fabric, deep but not too v-neck, arms, cinched belt, fit and flare. Classic with the twist of those sunnies and clutch.

6. brat July 26, 2018 at 7:52 pm #

Why is anyone surprised. Anna P thinks no one is entitled to an opinion but her own. Majority of her comments on this site attack either Catherine or other readers and are out of line. She’s been chastised before, but the silly twit continues unperturbed.

FC is fashion critic also known as Catherine.

I love the dress and her shades, it does look rather heavy for the occasion. That’s a lot of dark denim. I would wear it, maybe not to a polo match though. The Styling is simple but a bit bland to me.

7. Ann July 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm #

It looks like it’s linen, so very weather appropriate in my opinion. The Dutchess look very elegant and the woven clutch keep things modern and on trend.

8. Aubrey July 26, 2018 at 7:03 pm #

I love this look. I often feel like her dresses are always a size too big – this one finally looks perfectly tailored to her. Super chic!

9. Elle July 26, 2018 at 5:22 pm #

I really like this look – the A-line cut is very flattering on her, and I wish she wore more of this than the pencil cuts she tends to frequent. I don’t mind the colour at all because of the denim-like fabric, and I LOVE the bag!

A slightly off-topic comment but I am always impressed when people can wear stiletto heels and still walk on grass!

10. TeaAtTwo July 26, 2018 at 4:30 pm #

It’s elegant but It should be a British or African designer or label. Also, she should give navy, black and beige a break.

• GinaGina July 26, 2018 at 8:56 pm #

Why? Why every time someone say “she shoud have worn and english designer”?. She can visit Madrid and wear an italian label or go to dinner with chinese ambassador and wear Givenchy. Where is the problem? Everyone, even the Duchess of Sussex, can wear what they want.
      ps. I love Vivienne Westwood, Paul Smith, Alexander McQueen and other english brands but, let’s face it, Givenchy, Dior, Giambattista Valli, Armani and Valentino are way better.

• TeaAtTwo July 26, 2018 at 10:18 pm #

It’s part of her role to promote the best of Britain, which includes industry which fashion is a big part. Yes, when state occasions of foreign dignitaries come to Britain arise or when they’re abroad it’s diplomatic to wear that countries clothes but in Britain in most she should be spending money and promoting British or possibly some commonwealth labels and designers.

• kane July 30, 2018 at 7:35 pm #

What about all the blush outfits?

11. Caroline July 26, 2018 at 4:14 pm #

Super gorgeous.

12. Lauren July 26, 2018 at 3:32 pm #

I don’t think the temperature bothers her. She grew up in California. Where I live, those temperatures are regular basis for us, and that’s the kind of outfit I wear to work.

13. Onegin July 26, 2018 at 3:28 pm #

How many times has Prince Harry worn that exact outfit this summer alone?

• Caitlin July 27, 2018 at 1:11 am #

Omg so true! To think how much women are analysed/chastised for their fashion, and men are barely noticed for it

14. Vizual Ninja July 26, 2018 at 3:25 pm #

It’s a cute dress, I’d wear it…still looks summer time appropriate even with the colour.

15. olga July 26, 2018 at 3:01 pm #

Nothing exciting, but she looks good and I think this silhouette flatters her body type.

I’m not an expert, so correct me if I’m wrong: shouldn’t she wear more British designers?

• brat July 27, 2018 at 12:17 am #

Olga I prefer this silhouette on her body. I think the fit and flare is super flattering. She doesn’t have an hourglass shape and it gives her one

• kane July 30, 2018 at 7:36 pm #

I’ll go with that. Love her actually, but this is fiiine but nothing to write home about territory

16. meme July 26, 2018 at 2:42 pm #

I love this look. She looks fabulous. So what if she likes dark colors. I’m from NYC so wearing black or navy is typical here.

17. towanda July 26, 2018 at 2:40 pm #

After wedding this is the first time i like what she wears.

• Becky July 26, 2018 at 2:50 pm #

ITA

18. AnnaP July 26, 2018 at 2:21 pm #

I can’t see what is wrong with wearing navy. Does navy make you hotter or something, even with no sleeves? I guess you HAVE to find something to criticise, so it’s resorting to the colour navy that’ll do it.

Anyway, beautiful look as always, so chic and pretty. I love the hair, the dress, shoes and bag. But those sunglasses are to die for!

• Elle July 26, 2018 at 5:11 pm #

This is FC’s website, and people across the world (myself included) tune in to hear HER views and HER critique of fashion. FC is fully entitled to her own opinions, so long as she is not being hurtful or disrespectful (I have been a reader of this website for 8+ years and can tell you that she never once was).

Along the same line, we, as readers, are entitled to our own opinions and are entitled to express them in the comments section without being hurtful or disrespectful – you are free to disagree with FC’s view on Meghan’s dress or the colour navy, but your accusatory comment was completely uncalled for.

• meme July 26, 2018 at 5:51 pm #

Who’s FC? I thought this was CK’s website.

• Catherine Kallon July 27, 2018 at 12:40 am #

Hello Meme. When I started the site I was called Fashion Critic as a nickname which then moved to FC. x

• Eva July 26, 2018 at 5:59 pm #

+1 Perfectly put Elle, thank you!

• quimby July 26, 2018 at 6:38 pm #

+1000

• Catherine Kallon July 27, 2018 at 12:40 am #

Thank you Elle.

Anyone who reads this site, like you, knows I’m a stickler for fresh colours during summer.

It was the hottest day of the year in the UK and she wore navy?

Beautiful dress, but I would’ve loved it in a brighter colour.

• Alèxia August 1, 2018 at 3:05 pm #

Elle, sorry to be that person but I happen to have a few emails from a Catherine herself where she is both hurtful and disrespectful to me and to an artist she often writes about.

• Sassqueen July 26, 2018 at 8:10 pm #

She got away with too much already , she is not getting away with her fashion choices that are most of the time questionable. And we are here to make sure of that .
      Actress meghan look ok i guess.This fit and length is lovely on her. Color too dark for summer. Hair messy ugly again. Smile fake as usual.

• Catherine Kallon July 27, 2018 at 12:41 am #

I have tried to ignore the hair, but it has started to become a bother in the sense that she is ALWAYS fiddling with it.

• elie July 27, 2018 at 11:14 am #

Please every royals have fake smile. And she’s not an actress anymore. I agree about the hair though .

• SilentVisitor July 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm #

This is the time of comment who always surprised me.

1) how do you know the smile is fake? are you in her head? what does that have to do with Fashion?

2) She got away with too much already? what does that even mean? my goodness, assuming you talk about Fashion, we are only talking about clothes and style…….. has she killed someone?

AnnaP was out of line given who FC is but I don’t see how your response is any different to hers…I guess it is best for now on to avoid posts about certain people; there are some who can’t seem to be able to differentiate fans/not fans blogs from Fashion blogs

• JHH July 27, 2018 at 9:20 pm #

Let’s get ready to rumble! In this corner, we have Anna P and in the other Sassqueen.

19. Alina July 26, 2018 at 2:11 pm #

I think this is a beautiful look. I don’t mind the colour – the fabric seems light, the skirt is flowy and she’s wearing her hair up, so I don’t get the feeling that she’s uncomfortable because of the weather. We struggle with 40 degrees during summers and I wouldn’t mind wearing this on a 36 degrees day.