Menu

July 6, 2017 Runway To Red Carpet

Sonam Kapoor Closes Ralph & Russo Couture

With a sweeping grand finale, Sonam Kapoor made her couture week debut by closing the Ralph & Russo Fall 2017 Couture show in Paris on Monday (July 3) with an exhilarating exit that will not soon be forgotten.

Show-stopping in magnitude, this lace bridal-inspired confection from the design house featured a head-spinning array of Swarovski crystal embellishment throughout followed by an elaborate peplum train to ensure the look carried as much dazzling drama from the back as from the front.

This would be no time for moderation, as matching jewelry and an embroidered, sheer lace veil delivered even more glittering extravagance for a head-to-toe bejewelled look that couldn’t have been more exquisitely worn than by this Bollywood beauty.

For the after party of the Ralph & Russo show, Sonam changed into something less extravagant—but only by a touch.

Exchanging sparkling embellishment for a dreamy flurry of ruffles and tulle, she embodied everything that cotton candy should be—light as air and just sweet enough—in this Ralph & Russo Spring 2017 Couture ballet-pink confection.

I loved seeing this softer side of Sonam with her upswept locks reflecting the girly, romantic mood.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Gwyneth Paltrow In Burberry -  goop Hosts 'Despicable Me 3' Screening

Gwyneth Paltrow In Burberry – goop Hosts ‘Despicable Me 3’ Screening

Zendaya Coleman In Viktor & Rolf Couture - Out In Paris

Zendaya Coleman In Viktor & Rolf Couture – Out In Paris

29 Responses to Sonam Kapoor Closes Ralph & Russo Couture

1. Emmm July 7, 2017 at 9:46 am #

Beautiful Dresses Beautiful Model .

2. Shumail July 7, 2017 at 8:12 am #

GLORIOUS

3. Nicole July 6, 2017 at 11:32 pm #

Ahhh too gorgeous for my eyes

4. Sam July 6, 2017 at 8:35 pm #

Absolutely no doubt the dress is Spectacular but also heavy and difficult to walk in still the Lovely lady managed & nailed the walk (given that she ain’t a professional model). so,credit should be given where it’s due!

5. Angelheart July 6, 2017 at 7:55 pm #

Sonamkapoor always trendsetter a true Fashion Icon and the first Indian actor to walk at the Paris Fashion Week.!more power to her

6. Anita July 6, 2017 at 7:49 pm #

Sonam kapoor is so beautiful I just love her style & she’s looking gorgeous as ever at the runway.you go girl

7. Seline July 6, 2017 at 7:46 pm #

HOW GORGEOUS IS THIS WOMAN *_* ….and the dress too!!!

8. Kathy July 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm #

The bridal gown is too garish to be beautiful IMO. It’s certainly a work of art, but too overwrought to be wearable. Then again, I guess that’s the point of couture: it’s not for everyone.

Fully on board with Sonam’s second look, though. Classy and sugary, but not too much so.

9. Nat39 July 6, 2017 at 6:04 pm #

I was predicting the after-party gown for Araya at Cannes, but Sonam can rock the same style. As for the 1st, it clearly has the traditional influence (with all the additional abundance of embellishments), which makes it perfect for Sonam.

I don’t have a problem with high-profile women closing the shows. I still remember how spectacularly Fan Bingbing closed Stephane Rolland in Paris a few years back. These are not only highly anticipated appearances that generate a lot of press, but they also bring the brand more recognition internationally. For example when Fan walked the runway (against the backdrop of La Tour Eiffel), press wrote “…the symbolic unification of cultures made for global headlines, locking in crucial brand recognition to an audience of immense magnitude throughout Asia”.
    Sonam has been a muse and a friend of the designers. She was the 1st Indian celebrity to wear R&R back in Cannes in 2015 and, as she says it herself, one of the few Indian artists exploring International brands. So, this appearance only makes sense.

• Leandra July 6, 2017 at 6:36 pm #

Madonna for JPG or Sharon Stone for Valentino…

• Nat39 July 6, 2017 at 7:57 pm #

…others too, of course. When the legendary model Carmen Dell’Orefice in her 80s closed a show , it was treated as “a seminal moment in fashion history” as it was about “keeping with haute-couture as a movement founded in authenticity and study against the passing of time”. Whether it’s for publicity and international recognition or a muse walking for the brand, etc… it’s all good, I don’t have a problem with it.

• charlotte July 7, 2017 at 1:23 am #

WOW, Thank you for bringing that up,I just revisited the Fan Binging/Stephane Rolland post and was blown away once again. What a magical Moment.
      and you are so good at remembering quotes.

10. SilentVisitor July 6, 2017 at 5:11 pm #

This is a NO. Too heavy and over embellished dress. The dress makes it look like her arms have doubled in size which you can clearly see is not true in the after party dress

I know the sheer is for the runaway and the dress will probably be lined on the RC but that just makes me say NO and NO

Leandra put it best with the chandeliers reference

• Leandra July 6, 2017 at 6:39 pm #

Oh thank you…. After that first “rifraf” it seems we agree in a lot of things now.
      BFFF (extra F for Fashion)
      :-))

• SilentVisitor July 7, 2017 at 2:02 am #

That’s true……..thumbs up

• Leandra July 7, 2017 at 2:23 am #

🙂

11. meme July 6, 2017 at 4:53 pm #

I see granny panties so it’s ruined for me. Had it been lined…

12. JHH July 6, 2017 at 4:47 pm #

I don’t find the bridal dress to be all that. It’s just a bridal gown that has been embellished to death. It looks like a dress that someone wanting an over the top dress could get from Kleinfeld. Then on top of the hyper-embellished dress, you add a ton of jewelry. I need more than that for the last look at a show to be unforgettable. This is just throwing sparkle at people instead of design. Of course, both dresses look great on Sonam Kapoor when she is standing still but I have to agree with Pratyush that walking the ramp is best left to professionals – I have a niece who is a model so that could be family bias.

• meme July 6, 2017 at 4:56 pm #

LOVE this comment. On point.

• Leandra July 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm #

Ditto!

13. TeaAtTwo July 6, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

I wish she’d worn that Ralph & Russo after party gown to Cannes, It’s stunning.

14. Leandra July 6, 2017 at 3:59 pm #

That bride took 6000 hrs to be confectioned ( cof cof I dont believe) and while I can appreciatte the amazing craft it is an ensemble that doesn’t appeal to me, at all. I see big chandeliers on palaces but never thought to hang one at my home.

• Christine July 7, 2017 at 10:58 am #

Lol agreed. I don’t see the big fuss in the grand finale dress either

She looks pretty though but ……. I’ve seen this before.

15. Caroline July 6, 2017 at 3:49 pm #

Out of this world.

16. Pratyush July 6, 2017 at 3:14 pm #

They didnt need a ‘showstopper’ to get eyeballs.

This was very much along the lines of a ‘showstopper’ in india where a designer gets his fave/ famous Bollywood actor friend to close the show. I can somewhat understand this concept in the Indian context – the designer wants press…. Not fashion press, but tabloid, page 3 kind. And often the celebrity is the only way the press/reader will notice.

To me, this move actually dilutes their talent which needs no external support.

That she could barely walk in it dimmed the magnitude of this gown.

Celebrity / actor ‘showstoppers’ should be in the FROW. They have already stolen the magazine covers. Leave the ramp to the professionals.

17. Maria F. July 6, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

the bridal dress is stunning, no doubt, but I wish it would have been lined.

the aftershow dress is lovely and perfect for this season.

• Jerusa Herrera July 6, 2017 at 3:06 pm #

Me too!!! It ruined it for me.. I just cant.

• Leandra July 6, 2017 at 4:03 pm #

Maria, the sheerness is not prescriptive, I mean , we dont have to wear it as it showed. Many times designers use sheer on the catwalk only to showcase the precision of the embroidery for us internert and magazine viewers.

• Maria F. July 7, 2017 at 9:21 am #

yes, I understand that. But even on the runway I do not like the sheerness. I think it would have looked sleeker if lined.