Menu

Janelle Monáe In Salvatore Ferragamo – 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards

Janelle Monáe cut a visually arresting profile at the 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday (February 25) in Santa Monica, California.

She has been flirting back and forth with colour, but here she returned to her signature black-and-white theme polished off with her red lip.

Her style obsession with clashing patterns, including checkerboard and stripes, played a starring role in this Salvatore Ferragamo Fall 2016 ensemble that merged together a coat and dress, all styled with a similarly geometric Emm Kuo ‘Gehry’ clutch.

Even with the cacophony of loud and proud patterns, her ivory beaded shoes constantly drew my attention to her feet—and, yes, her pedicure featured a black-and-white printed motif, as she’s not one to do anything halfway.

That said, the Christian Louboutin ‘Tudor Bal’ sandals looked like they belonged to an entirely different outfit. What do you make of them?

Christian Louboutin ‘Tudor Bal’ sandalsSaks.com and Barneys

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Freida Pinto In Uel Camilo - 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards

Freida Pinto In Uel Camilo – 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards

Taraji P. Henson In Giambattista Valli Couture - 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards

Taraji P. Henson In Giambattista Valli Couture – 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards

11 Responses to Janelle Monáe In Salvatore Ferragamo – 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards

1. Lavina February 26, 2017 at 11:32 am #

I love those shoes but you’re right, it does not work with her outfit

2. Alina February 26, 2017 at 6:47 am #

Ankles up, it works. ON HER.

My objection would be that this is not right for this particular event.

3. ok February 26, 2017 at 4:48 am #

She never knows what do with the shoes because she wear so many layers up top. She probably wants to the lighten the look a bit, but if you wear a winter coat…you need to be wearing appropriate shoes, which are boots, or some kind of closed toe.

Clearly, based on the other actors, one did not need a coat for this red carpet. Which means she could have found a sandal that worked better, or perhaps even these would have seemed to fit better without the heaviness of the coat.

4. Juan February 26, 2017 at 4:43 am #

I love her style and the effort she puts to EVERY OUTFIT but please, this one has gone too far to me. The pieces are amazing on their own, but she needs to edit a little bit.

5. Pheephee February 26, 2017 at 2:21 am #

The shoes dont work with the outfit at all. But I adore the shoes on their own. Gorgeous.
    Its starting to get too monotonous with the whole black/white color scheme…..one outfit is just starting to look like the previous one and so on and so forth.
    blah

6. AnnaP February 26, 2017 at 2:06 am #

The ways she has painted her nails each one individually in a black and white pattern, is amazing. I admire her attention to detail and her unique style. To me, she always looks perfect!

7. Nat39 February 26, 2017 at 12:45 am #

She is overdoing it yet again, I don’t know where to look, at least the clutch could’ve been solid. The shoes don’t go, agreed.

• Kate February 26, 2017 at 4:02 am #

Totally agree with you. I love Janelle, but this is just too much.

8. Chris February 25, 2017 at 10:27 pm #

I really like it, it’s pretty chic and fun, even the shoes kinda just work for me, although maybe they shouldn’t.

• Chris February 25, 2017 at 10:52 pm #

okay, the longer I look at it, the more the shoes do start to stand out in a bad way..

9. Christine February 25, 2017 at 10:25 pm #

Baffled by the shoe choice. I like this ankles up