Menu

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Michael Kors – Australian War Memorial

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Michael Kors  - Australian War Memorial
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge carried out the final official engagement of their New Zealand and Australia tour on Friday (April 25) morning.

The couple paid their respects to fallen soldiers by attending the ANZAC Day march and a commemorative service in Canberra before visiting the Australian War Memorial in the country’s capital.

Catherine wore another coat dress; this time she selected a blue and white tweed Michael Kors Spring 2014 coat dress.

Her accessories – including a navy hat by Australian milliner Jonathan Howard, a Russell and Bromley ‘Muse’ navy clutch and navy pumps – colour co-ordinated perfectly with her look and her husband’s navy suit.

Other accessories included a jewelled poppy brooch, a Cartier watch and an Asprey charm pendant.

Opting not to change, the royal family headed to Fairbairn Airbase to head back to the UK.

Knowing your feelings, this might seem like a redundant question, but was this tour a success fashion-wise?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nikki Reed In Lela Rose - 'Murder of a Cat' Tribeca Film Festival Premiere

Nikki Reed In Lela Rose – ‘Murder of a Cat’ Tribeca Film Festival Premiere

Jennifer Lopez In Georges Chakra - ‘American Idol Season 13: Top 5 To 4′ Elimination Show

Jennifer Lopez In Georges Chakra – ‘American Idol Season 13: Top 5 To 4′ Elimination Show

44 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Michael Kors – Australian War Memorial

1. olivia April 27, 2014 at 1:36 am #

i don’t buy this image she’s trying to portray, that ‘i am just like you look’ or ‘i am a simple duchess not interested in fashion’. she maybe trying to dress like this so that people will forget about her trashy past and see her as a simple, conservative member of the royal family. i like this coat but she should help to promote the aussies designer or brits. all her recent looks are just plain boring.

2. Prudence April 26, 2014 at 4:58 am #

glad its over.

3. tara April 26, 2014 at 1:56 am #

She has all the money in the world yet still cant manage to WOW us with her wardrobe choices like Diana did. This coat by kors+the white Lela rose were very inappropriate- if not an Australian designer stick to the British ones. Made no sense to add those. +her choice of shoes, wedges on the beach- just all plain wrong. Why cant she wear flats? She’s tall enough and especially on these tours towering over everyone is not a good look!

4. genia April 25, 2014 at 11:36 pm #

Once a while ago I adored the duchess for choosing ready to wear outfits, but her looks have changed for too sophisticated … and too royal.
    In my opinion we’ve seen much more spectacular looks, as in her canada/us tour.
    Or is it only for me that the duchess changed form a stylish girl next door to a queen look-a-like?

5. tuftufwang April 25, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

There were some hits and some *yawns*. Overall, she has opted to be non-offensive and safe. By the way, did anyone find out if this MK coat is sold out already? Just curious……

6. elena April 25, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

This tour was not a success for me.. too repetitive, too boring, too predictible..
    She is not having fun the way she is getting dress and you can feel it ( and I am still convince that other princesses do).

7. mm April 25, 2014 at 5:13 pm #

This look is my favorite. I love that her looks may not wow you, but her choices are great for her body and event appropriate, she has a timeless style. I love dresses and especially dresses you can wear to so many different events. Love her style. Love this tour.

8. Li April 25, 2014 at 4:11 pm #

I know I might be in the minority here, but I love Catherine’s fashion choices. No, they are not fashion-forward or edgy, but they are sophisticated, timeless and event-appropriate. She is after all, the future queen of England, not a model or celebrity.

• SilentVisitor April 25, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

She is not the future queen of England……why royalty still exists is probably beyond my understanding but anyway………
      I think her choices have been safe and very nice.

• LeeAnn April 25, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

When William becomes King she will be his consort Queen

• SilentVisitor April 25, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

which is still different from being queen………

• SilentVisitor April 25, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

*the queen

• Quinn April 25, 2014 at 7:42 pm #

I’m with you Li! 🙂

• Li April 26, 2014 at 10:26 am #

Thank you Quinn. 🙂

• Cass April 26, 2014 at 10:23 am #

Love her style! She makes me wanna buy coats!

9. Fiona - Perth April 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

I think overall she has looked appropriate and chic for this tour, and I appreciate she needs to balance paying homage to local designers and also fly the flag for British fashion. However, her choices are often terribly safe and her accessories could do with a bit more imagination. Picking American designers whilst visiting Australia was probably not the best idea when she had other options. I still believe it is possible to be a proper princess not clothes horse whilst still presenting a fashionable image – Princess Mary of Denmark is the queen of this.

• Lee Ann April 25, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

• Kimma April 26, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

Agreed – Mary manages to mix up her look a lot more than Kate and still look suitably conservative. Crown Princess Victoria is another royal whose sense of style is enviable. And both work a bit of cleavage or a shoulder baring dress on occasion without losing any of their dignity. Kate needs to mature and gain more confidence to express her sense of style within the boundaries of her role.

10. Liz April 25, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

I’m a bit confused as to why people are so opposed to Kate’s choices. Understandably, she is clearly not a woman who will “surprise” us by wearing something avant-garde, but that’s not her agenda. I think that this tour has been interesting in her variety of colours and silhouettes. She even changed her hair once or twice and wore other shoes besides her nude pumps 😉
    No, the duchess will never or at least very rarely ‘surprise’ us but I think that her choices are beautiful and elegant.

11. Valissa April 25, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

She looked nice, neat and appropriate during this tour. I liked all the colours she wore. However it is disappointing that she only wore one Australian designer during her entire time here.
    I know that some of our designers are a little “edgy” for her (Sass & Bide, Camilla and Marc, Dion Lee for example) but I’m sure she could’ve found an appropriate Alex Perry or Collette Dinnigan dress to wear?

12. EmmaWoodhouse April 25, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

Shoes and (occasionally) other styling aside, I was very fond of this tour. I may be in the minority, but I love her coat-dresses and her summery dresses and think she looked fresh and elegant.

• Tracy L April 25, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

I totally agree! She is polished, appropriate and beautiful (eyeliner aside). She is not in a position to be like an actress/celebrity and pushing fashion boundaries.

• Joy2 April 25, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

I also completely agree. I much prefer her classic — and classy — wardrobe to that of private parts baring celebs. To me it is not boring to always be spot on event appropriate.

13. Rebecca Z April 25, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

There has been an odd lack of Australian designers. Maybe they tend to be too edgy for her. She has looked pretty and event appropriate during the entire tour (OK, the beach footwear was a tad odd). She isn’t taking any fashion risks, that’s for sure. She clearly has different priorities.

14. JackieT April 25, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Really? She’s worn 3 American designers but only 1 Australian? I’m not even Australian and it bothers me

15. Marcel April 25, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

Well, she did put the stones to build her own kingdom : “The Royal Land of the Ugly Shoes and Boring Coats”.

16. Sophy April 25, 2014 at 1:36 pm #

Why is she wearing all these American designers? If not Australian shouldn’t she wear British?

17. Sophy April 25, 2014 at 1:35 pm #

Hats off to you FC for identifying the coat- you have such a deep knowledge of fashion and designers its amazing!!! Your blog is truly unique – most of the others don’t bother to do any research or identify designers ! I may not always like what you like but I will always deeply respect your superior fashion sense!!!!

As far as the outfit – love the coat ( good job Michael Kors- it was unbelievable to me that it could be Emillia Wickstead – her workmanship is shoddy)dislike the hat – its too small for her face and the decorations look like horns.

• Catherine Kallon April 25, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

• Lee Ann April 25, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

Sophy-Interesting that you describe Emilia Wickstead’s work as shoddy. When she first opened her store I bought a few things and have followed her shows. Whilst I on the whole like what she does , the workmanship/tailoring is not good especially given the prices she charges.
      I am really surprised thayt when she chose not to wear a british designer she wore Kors. I think its a bit of an insult to the host country. Knowng her its probably a Bicester Vilage purchase.

• Sophy April 25, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

I really dislike the way Wicksteads clothes fit and the stitching- her designs are good but there is something lacking in the execution. It’s as if she doesn’t know her fabrics well and that’s why there is odd puckering and poor stitching when she tries to make the fabric do what isn’t natural. That’s something you cannot say about Michael Kors – he may be a copycat but his fit is impeccable!! This is my fav coat (which is saying something with all the am queens)of this tour and I wish it were mine!!

18. dee April 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

This look is nice but we’ve seen this before. No this tour wasn’t a success or failure. It was just boring.

19. Kimma April 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

The coat dress just doesn’t translate well in Australia, it’s not appropriate for our climate in April. Wedge heels on the beach (!??!) and an almost total lack of Australian designers has made the tour a bit of a farce.

• H April 25, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

Exactly what I think, sometimes I think like she is somewhere else but Australia.

20. Sanya April 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm #

Nothing special. She looked elegant and appropriate, but the only dress I really liked was the first Roksanda Ilincic dress.

21. Christine April 25, 2014 at 11:53 am #

Nothing wow from her but this is nice

22. kane April 25, 2014 at 11:49 am #

‘Why not leaving a coat open for once?’ kane asks as she sulks in a corner for a few minutes. Other than that, I actually like this. All the non-black, non-nude, but navy accessories go well with this look for once (I’m looking at you L.K. Bennett) without being too matchy-matchy with the coat (eh, dress). To top it off the poppy brooch adds some nice little pop of colour. Not my favourite, but a good one and perfectly appropriate.

23. brat April 25, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Her worst tour yet. Her North America tour was much better

24. beta April 25, 2014 at 10:56 am #

The tour was event appropriate but a total snooze imo.

25. Jones19 April 25, 2014 at 10:51 am #

I’m just so bored with the same A-line skirt silhouette she always wears. The yellow dress she wore stands out for me, the rest was blah.

26. Bec April 25, 2014 at 9:40 am #

It was exactly as I imagined it would be….A-lines, wrap dresses, coat dresses and that eyeliner that I pray she will ditch one day!

No surprises, no real disappointments – just the usual from the Duchess

27. Yeliz April 25, 2014 at 9:39 am #

Event appropriate and chic. George is so cute!

28. Leeann April 25, 2014 at 9:38 am #

I think if you went into this not expecting much this was a success. However if you were hoping for more like I was it was disappointing.

Reading between the lines of the commentator’s they were not bowled over

29. Alina April 25, 2014 at 9:22 am #

This would have been a great, event-appropriate look if we hadn’t seen it several times before in different variations.

As far as this tour goes, it was just Catherine’s usual self. Nothing WOW.