17.12.13 Advertising

Rihanna for Balmain Spring 2014

Rihanna for Balmain

Balmain unveiled the first pictures of Rihanna as the face of the French label’s Spring 2014 ad campaign this morning.

As someone who always gets first dibs on the collection, this should come as no surprise.

The Bajan singer was shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin for the campaign, posing seductively in a denim chain-accented piece and a pink houndstooth look with similar chain accents, both styled by her personal stylist Mel Ottenberg.

Balmain’s creative director Olivier Rousteing was positively gushing about casting Rihanna for this campaign, telling WWD “In front of the camera, she makes you feel like she is the only girl in the world. When the woman that inspires you wears your creations, your vision feels complete.”

Credit: Balmain

Emma Rigby In Alexander McQueen - 'The Physician' Berlin Premiere

Emma Rigby In Alexander McQueen – ‘The Physician’ Berlin Premiere

Juliette Lewis In Monique Lhuillier - 'August: Osage County' LA Premiere

Juliette Lewis In Monique Lhuillier – ‘August: Osage County’ LA Premiere

8 Responses to Rihanna for Balmain Spring 2014

1. Christine December 17, 2013 at 11:12 #

This is a perfect fit! Definitely not a surprise. I like the images! Now this is going to be one amazing partnership.

2. H December 17, 2013 at 12:55 #

The pictures are great and she is a perfec fit for this brand and campaign, but, for me, she is a tad overrated already.

• dee December 17, 2013 at 14:19 #

I agree.

3. Natalie December 17, 2013 at 15:45 #

Stunning. I have to disagree with her being too overrated, that could and probably would have been said about any pop artist that got the campaign. She’s a great fit.

• dee December 18, 2013 at 16:28 #

They are all overrated in my opinion.

4. Serenity December 17, 2013 at 19:07 #

I’m by no means Rihanna’s biggest fan, but I am loving these images. She looks so pretty–love her hair like this. I was so enamored by this collection, so seeing it worn so beautifully is a thrill.

5. julyol1972 December 18, 2013 at 06:25 #

Rihanna gives Balmain the edginess, and authenticity that Kristen Stewart never could! I see her wearing these clothes organically, whilst Kristen often felt either too try-hard, or that she didn’t really give a damn!

6. Prudence December 19, 2013 at 06:07 #

ughh i hate when designers create collections that are so obviously inspired by a celeb and then to make matters worst they put that person in their ads. this is so tacky.