Carina Lau In Elie Saab Couture – ‘Bends’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Carina Lau In Elie Saab Couture - 'Soshite Chichi Ni Naru' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

It’s the moment I have been waiting for since Wednesday — well, since the Elie Saab Spring 2013 Couture collection was presented, and that was to strike this stunning gown off my wish list.

Carina Lau attended the ‘Bends’ premiere during Cannes Film Festival at the Palais des Festivals in France this evening glowing in the white embellished gown with cape, which is my favourite look from my favourite designer.

The only thing I would change about this look is the jewellery. I would strip the look back and let the gown do all the talking.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Rooney Mara In Christian Dior - 'Ain't Them Bodies Saints' Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Rooney Mara In Christian Dior – ‘Ain’t Them Bodies Saints’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Casey Affleck In Dior Homme - 'Ain't Them Bodies Saints' Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Casey Affleck In Dior Homme – ‘Ain’t Them Bodies Saints’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall

25 Responses to Carina Lau In Elie Saab Couture – ‘Bends’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Milla B. May 19, 2013 at 01:36 #

My wow moment at Cannes finally arrived. Thanks Carina Lau.

• SilentVisitor May 19, 2013 at 02:25 #

I have already had some WOW moments but I agree that this is another one despite the unnecessary necklace

2. Prudence May 19, 2013 at 01:38 #

whyyy the necklace oh whyyyyy whyy whyyy!

3. Manel May 19, 2013 at 01:42 #

The first dress in the list
    congratulation FC

• Catherine Kallon May 19, 2013 at 02:38 #

4. Nat39 May 19, 2013 at 01:46 #

I´m so disappointed to see this beautiful piece on Carina – she lacks stature and natural elegance to do it justice. I´d keep the bracelet, ditch the necklace, and opt for tiny diamond stud earrings. This could´ve been a major moment on someone like Nicole Kidman with her height, lean figure and elegance.

• Yeliz May 19, 2013 at 09:18 #

I totally agree. I was dying to see this spectacular gown on the red carpet, but I’m disappointed by Carina’s styling. I know it’s Cannes and actresses love to wear lots of jewelry, but it’s not working here.

• Roosje May 19, 2013 at 13:19 #

I do feel that she has the dignity and stature to pull off a caped dress. Although she isn’t as tall, the dress still falls beautiful and feels spectacular. It shows how amazing Saab’s styling is. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see it repeated at some point- perhaps in a different colour? After all, there are many people who don’t follow Cannes and therefore wouldn’t notice its a repeat.

• Nat39 May 19, 2013 at 18:23 #

Carina still looks wonderful, I certainly agree with you. It´s just that I kept imagining this gown (which was my favourite from the collection) on someone like Nicole, it would´ve been a major heavenly moment for me, so I couldn´t help but feel a bit disappointed, but yes it´s still a very beautiful look on Carina.

5. Megha May 19, 2013 at 01:58 #

So disappointing…this gown is just amazing but it didn’t stand out the way it deserved to. She isn’t selling it to me and there is a MAJOR overload of jewellery – big earrings, necklace, bracelet, hair piece. Feels more like a jewellery store promo than a red carpet event
    This was one of my fave pieces from the last season and now it is unlikely to have the showing it should have had
    sigh. biggest disappointment of Cannes :(

6. Sherrie Golden May 19, 2013 at 02:23 #

I see Elie Saab is trying to change her signature look on this dress. This dress is just okay for me. She probably could have done without the shawl.

7. Christine May 19, 2013 at 02:43 #

Pretty.

8. Rebecca Z May 19, 2013 at 02:52 #

I am sure this makes me shallow, but I don’t really have such a big problem with the jewelry. I think the dress verges on bridal and the jewelry helps to negate that. Her age also helps to take it out of the bridal category. I think she is regal and sells it, I just wish it was not dragging on the floor.

• CreoleLady May 19, 2013 at 06:02 #

Then count me in as shallow too because I completely agree with you, lol. I like a spare neckline but not always. The jewelry is perfect here for the reasons you note. I especially like the necklace, which hugs the base of her neck and complements the sparkle in the bodice without being overbearing.

• dee May 20, 2013 at 13:33 #

I agree. I think the jewelry adds the look. She looks great.

9. EmmaWoodhouse May 19, 2013 at 03:03 #

WOWOWOWOW!!!! I am loving this. It’s going on my BDOTY list! I’m a magpie for bling so the necklace actually completes the look rather than detracting from it. I wouldn’t change a thing, actually. I love it and give you a virtual high-five, FC, at having the first dress off your wishlist worn! Here’s to the rest of them showing up soon!!!
    This is my BDOTD.

• Catherine Kallon May 19, 2013 at 11:51 #

I love Cannes. I can always tick at least one off my wish list

10. ANA May 19, 2013 at 03:18 #

WHY THE NECKLACE? WHY? I saw this look on the red carpet and fell absolutely in love with it, But the necklace really disturbs the amazing beauty of this dress.

11. Natalie May 19, 2013 at 03:27 #

The title of this post is wrong, she’s attending the premiere for ‘Bends’.

She looks amazing. I don’t think the jewelry distracts at all.

12. DSI May 19, 2013 at 06:50 #

A great look! I find the jewellery much complementary to the elan of the dress. Love her necklace and hair-peice, not the bracelet n earring as much!

13. Jess2 May 19, 2013 at 08:44 #

Amazing!!! So glad we can check one off your wish list FC, Carina looks beautiful. I am in two minds about the jewels. I think they are beautiful pieces and I do like the necklace but at the same time, the look would have been fantastic without it as well.

14. Ramsay May 19, 2013 at 09:44 #

I like it but I think it could’ve looked better – It doesn’t look as great on the red carpet as it does on the runway – I wish someone slimmer had worn it – It’s a shame that I’m not wowed when I could’ve been easily with this dress

15. Alina May 19, 2013 at 13:58 #

Love it! I even like the necklace with the dress.

16. JJ May 19, 2013 at 14:04 #

He looks sensational! Jewelry is perfect, and the gown is AWESOME! She is so chic and elegant, and is for sure the best dressed. Elie Saab is the best!

17. Moxie May 20, 2013 at 16:03 #

Absolutely gorgeous. One of my favorite Cannes looks this year.