14.02.13

Oscar de la Renta Fall 2013

Oscar de la Renta Fall 2013

By the time Look Three passed us at the Oscar de la Renta Fall 2013 show yesterday, Susie Lau and I were already pointing out Galliano’s influences within the pieces.

While the collection was quintessentially Oscar de la Renta – ladylike and ultra-feminine – Galliano’s presence was evident in the suiting and tailoring.

The collection steadily moved on to tweed suits and printed dresses for the designer’s ladies-who-lunch clientele, followed by some moodier pieces, including sheer tops paired with hooded capes and leather pants, and sexy tuxedo jackets, before the models took to the runway in breathtaking gowns.

This the part where I always start to get giddy with excitement.

Jewel-toned gowns worthy of any star-studded occasion glided down the runway, some with a high-low hem, most with voluminous skirts, and one feathered confection which featured crystal embroidery.

The fuchsia gown with gold-bullion scroll and beaded embroidery literally made my heart stop, especially when styled with gleaming teal earrings.

The uptown-with-an-edge experiment worked for me. Time will tell if Galliano stays on at Oscar de la Renta.

Front Row: Diane von Furstenberg and Valentino Garavani

Who I See Wearing This Collection: Anna Wintour, Kerry Washington, Paz Vega, Jessica Alba, Allison Williams, Jennifer Garner, Nieves Alvarez, Jessica Biel, Zooey Deschanel and Nicole Kidman

Favourites: Look 48, Look 46 and Look 4

Reese Witherspoon's Yosi Samra Two Tone Bag

Reese Witherspoon’s Yosi Samra Two Tone Bag

Emmy Rossum In Christian Dior - 'Beautiful Creatures' New York Screening

Emmy Rossum In Christian Dior – ‘Beautiful Creatures’ New York Screening

16 Responses to Oscar de la Renta Fall 2013

1. Kim February 14, 2013 at 04:40 #

No “What I Wore” posts this week, FC?

• Catherine Kallon February 14, 2013 at 14:38 #

sadly no.

2. Rebecca Z February 14, 2013 at 05:02 #

Sounds like you are having loads of fun, Catherine! Enjoy.

• leeann February 14, 2013 at 10:58 #

The Galliano influence can be seen in the draping , hair and make up and the way the belts were tied. It was a lovely collection and I have already ordered a few looks. But I can’t help think that fashion has moved on a bit and I am just being Nostalgic.

3. Yeliz February 14, 2013 at 05:26 #

Call me outdated, but I really didn’t knew that Galliano works for ODLR now and that this is his collection! I loved most of the pieces, especially the stunning gowns.

• msd February 14, 2013 at 10:35 #

Galliano doesn’t work for Oscar. He has, however, spent the past two or three weeks in a “residency” at Oscar’s, apparently arranged by Anna Wintour. I’m not questioning the influence, I see it too, but some of the press out there (not you FC) are making it sound like it’s Galliano’s collection. Either way, it will be fascinating to see what happens. Is Anna lining him up for when Oscar retires? p.s yay, Susie Bubble!

p.s Suss

I’m not questioning

• leeann February 14, 2013 at 11:00 #

He doesn’t work there but was on a 3 week internship-it is not clear if he will be working there on a permament basis-yet.

4. Ella February 14, 2013 at 07:34 #

Looks 13, 14, 21, 29,39, and 46! Wow! I am excited to see this collection on the red carpet

5. msd February 14, 2013 at 10:36 #

Sorry the p.s went awry there…

6. EmmaWoodhouse February 14, 2013 at 15:19 #

Love: Look 49 just kills me with gorgeousness! Adoring the colorful, ornate ballgowns, the drama, the ladylike pieces, and the typical Oscar opulence.
    Not feeling: sheerness on a few pieces, low necklines.

7. Sara / Toranj London February 14, 2013 at 17:50 #

I just love love love look 49. It’s colour, structure and embroidery is just stunning. I love to see someone with the elegance and confidence of Cate Blanchett wearing it.

8. robbie February 14, 2013 at 18:06 #

everything is great apart from the last few looks which are so stiff, the embroidery and prints on them are gorgeous though.

9. Nat39 February 14, 2013 at 19:21 #

I like it a lot. Love looks 37, 49, also 44 and adorable dress 21.

10. TeaAtTwo February 14, 2013 at 19:58 #

I’m impressed Catherine didn’t try to rip the gowns off the models. Apart from one or two that I’d like with a few fit modifications the gowns could occupy many ‘best-dressed’ positions. I loved the suits with flared out jackets too. A lot of fabulous footwear too. This ODLR- Galliano partnership has worked well and I hope it continues.

11. Dhppy February 15, 2013 at 07:02 #

I wonder who would have the guts to wear that hot pink gown [Look 48] to the Oscars. I would look great on Naomi Watts and it would be a fantastic departure from what she’s worn in the past. A shortened version would also look great on the 9 year old whose name I can’t imagine typing.

• ahot February 15, 2013 at 13:38 #

Sadly Naomi doesn´t have the presence necessary to pull it off imo.I believe it would be more of a pleasant surprise on Nicole Kidman or Charlize Theron. It would be spectacular on someone statuesque, no?
      If not, Kerry Washington would definitely rock the hell out of it.