Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – 2013 BAFTA Awards

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture - 2013 BAFTA AwardsEngaging in somewhat of a red-carpet sprint, a visibly chilled Marion Cotillard battled the elements as she quickly posed amid umbrellas and photographers’ flashes at the 2013 BAFTA Awards on Sunday at the Royal Opera House in London.

After wearing a black-and-white cocktail dress from the Christian Dior Pre-Fall 2013 collection at the BAFTA nominees party, she played the Dior card yet again—except in far more dramatic fashion.

Wearing a confection from designer Raf Simons’ Spring 2013 Couture runway, the ‘Rust and Bone’ Leading Actress nominee made a true fashion-girl move; she even eschewed a shrug or overcoat to better show off the sunny yellow gown that could have cleared overcast skies with its radiant colour.

The billowing drape of the dress and the peek of skin from the sheer side panel brought the look into style-forward territory and made it a bit of a red-carpet risk.

The addition of a diamond necklace and Marion’s retro waves and red lip delivered a touch of old Hollywood glam. But I keep wondering if this look may have fared even better without the necklace.

You may recall that Jennifer Lawrence wore a navy gown from this collection at the 2013 SAG Awards.

Were you applauding for Marion’s entrance, or did it come apart at the seams?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Naomie Harris In Gucci - 2014 BAFTAs

Naomie Harris In Gucci – 2014 BAFTAs

Andrea Riseborough In Vivienne Westwood Couture - 2013 BAFTA Awards

Andrea Riseborough In Vivienne Westwood Couture – 2013 BAFTA Awards

56 Responses to Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior Couture – 2013 BAFTA Awards

1. Laura February 10, 2013 at 21:23 #

I love this from head-to-toe. She is one of my best dressed

• Francois Bresmal February 10, 2013 at 21:38 #

TOTALLY! She’s GLOWING

• Eni February 10, 2013 at 22:14 #

• noo February 10, 2013 at 22:30 #

absolutely agreed.

• Helene February 10, 2013 at 22:54 #

+1 absolutly amazing

• Jess2 February 11, 2013 at 13:04 #

Couldn’t agree more!

• dee February 11, 2013 at 13:45 #

I agree. The necklace adds to the drama and glamour.

• Foteini P. February 12, 2013 at 14:44 #

2. Voguista February 10, 2013 at 21:24 #

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G !!!

3. jessicamarantelli February 10, 2013 at 21:24 #

I love this gown from the moment I saw it on the runway but I really wanted Jennifer Lawrence to wear this to the oscars (that is if she has to keep to the dior trend…as the face of Dior it makes sense). As it is Marion looks awesome in this, if a bit cold, so I’m just loving it…the colour, the shape, the little netting cutout.

• Luis February 10, 2013 at 21:24 #

+1!
      Now I’m sad!

• Quinn February 12, 2013 at 03:57 #

I’m sad too. Although i kindda know that marion will get this gown as she always always got the better dior gown. probably because she’s been the face of dior like forever compare to Jennifer. I always feels like Jennifer have to settle for something she didn’t really want as the best ones already goes to marion.

That aside, Marion looks exquisite and sophisticated. best dressed of this event!

• Betelgeuze February 10, 2013 at 21:31 #

+1 with all of this

4. Luis February 10, 2013 at 21:24 #

OMG! I want these for OSCAR… Too soon! This is the dress of the season!

• Bre February 11, 2013 at 00:41 #

My guess is that this was supposed to be her Oscar dress, but since she isn’t nominated (and probably not attending) she decided to wear it to the BAFTA’s.

5. Parvati February 10, 2013 at 21:24 #

I must say, Mariin looks fab! I went back and forth on the lip color though, but I finally decided it made a big impact and I loved it! I like the necklace too. Much improved from the Golden Globes IMO.

6. Yeliz February 10, 2013 at 21:25 #

This risk totally paid off and I totally loved this elegant look and wanted to make Marion my best dressed of the event, until I saw that she wore pointed black pumps. I dislike them so much, because they kept me from loving this look from head-to-toe.

7. NooG February 10, 2013 at 21:28 #

Marion is a much better Dior spokesperson than Jennifer Lawrence is (don’t get me wrong, Jennifer is gorgeous but Marion has always outshone Jennifer in Dior). She looks fabulous in this.

• Juju February 10, 2013 at 21:36 #

Agreed 100%. No hate from me on J-Law whatsoever, I think she’s beautiful in her own way and all, but she just lacks a certain elegance and sophistication for Dior, something that Marion can pull off effortlessly. Marion is wearing this dress beautifully. J-Law should go for another direction as far as fashion goes; she looked beautiful in an orange dress in London yesterday.

• Christine February 10, 2013 at 21:46 #

I couldn’t agree more.

• Milla B. February 10, 2013 at 21:50 #

1 +

8. Neli February 10, 2013 at 21:29 #

I love this from head-to-toe. She is ALWAYS one of my best dressed!!

9. Jai February 10, 2013 at 21:30 #

I actually gasped when I saw her, followed by a slow ‘wow’. Absolutely stunning. I disagree about the necklace – it is the perfect hint of whimsy. The ring, the hair, the makeup, – all perfect. As for the dress – just wow. The colour, the material, the architectural details. Easily my favourite award season look so far. Perfection.

10. Kennedy February 10, 2013 at 21:30 #

BDOTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mandy February 11, 2013 at 03:57 #

Agree! Yellow is my favourite colour and when it’s done right it’s beyond fabulous.

11. Nat39 February 10, 2013 at 21:31 #

I applaud to her, it’s an interesting standout fashion-forward gown and she is working it. The necklace is completely unnessary however, it brings the look down a bit for me, the statement coloured ring would’ve sufficed.

12. Rach February 10, 2013 at 21:37 #

This was my pick for Jennifer Lawrences Oscars dress actually but I’m pleased to see Marion in it. It’s so stunning and the red lip sets it off beautifully and the hair is fantastic. The whole thing is wonderful.

13. Elise February 10, 2013 at 21:37 #

Only two women are able to look great with a Dior by Raf Simmons: Marion and Lelee. Those designs look simple, even boring, but it is needed a inner elegance in order to make them work.

I like the outfit a lot. If the gown were a bit shorter, it would be perfect.

14. Anne February 10, 2013 at 21:42 #

This was my favorite dress from the Dior couture runway & love it on Marion. Her dark hair and coloring are so fabulous with the canary yellow. I’m going to have a hard time picking best dressed b/t her and Jessica.

15. Kathy February 10, 2013 at 21:46 #

The styling & color are divine, but I don’t like the structure of the dress at all, so that brings the whole look down for me. It looks unfinished, like she walked out of the atelier with a seamstress running behind her yelling, “Ms. Cotillard, come back! I’m not finished yet!”

• Kate February 10, 2013 at 23:39 #

I agree. I’m surprised by how ga-ga the commenters are over this look.

I think the draping makes it fashion-forward enough—the cut-out takes it a bit too far and throws the look off. It does look unfinished and awkward.

On the other hand, I LOVE the color of the dress and her hair and makeup.

• Bella February 11, 2013 at 23:11 #

Yep, agree with you. Pop out colour and great structure though the location of that sheer panel lets the look down. Marion is a great clothes horse but this dress doesn’t work off the catwalk. Shame..

16. anjos February 10, 2013 at 21:48 #

See, when I saw Jennifer in that navy gown at SAG awards I wondered why oh why her stylist went for that one when she could have gone with this one which is quite similar, yet a lot more interesting. I really have beef with her stylist. And now somebody else snagged this wonderful number. Oh well.

17. EmmaWoodhouse February 10, 2013 at 21:51 #

Fun fact (which y’all probably know already, being fashion fans!): the sheer panel is the same thing which appeared in Jennifer Lawrence’s supposed wardrobe malfunction at the SAGs.
    Anyway, I applaud the brave choice on Marion, yellow is hard to pull off but I think she looks chic. My issue comes with, yup, that pesky sheer panel that just seems like a disconnect. Without it I would have liked the whole look much better. I love the necklace with it, though, and the red lipstick works–though a blossom pink might have been better.

• Rashmi February 11, 2013 at 09:46 #

Haha! When I saw this, I immediately related to it with Jennifer’s malfunction. I was like, well these are similar dresses, one wch is stitched near the knee and one which is left open :D

However, I love Marion over here, that is such a stunning color and the styling is perfect h2t!

18. shap_half February 10, 2013 at 22:00 #

She looks sensational. I find that she’s been really on and off, but these last two Dior looks have been fantastic!

19. TeaAtTwo February 10, 2013 at 22:05 #

Omg, I love this old Hollywood vibe she’s giving off. I wasn’t keen on the sheer panel on the runway, preferring a yellow panel, but Marion pulls it off. The tomato red lips with the yellow looks bold but chic. I don’t mind the necklace.

20. Prudence February 10, 2013 at 22:07 #

OMG OMG OMG OMG BEYOND EXCITED!!! THIS WAS MY SECOND FAVE PIECE OF THAT COLLECTION AND I FEARED NO ONE WOULD WEAR IT! LOVE LOVE LOVE. omg loveee the lip and thnak god the hair looks good, i do wonder if i would like it more sans necklace but it doesnt bother me at all!! Marion hasnt looked this good in dior for a while so im glad shes back!

21. Marybeth February 10, 2013 at 22:09 #

I find the gown a little gimmicky, but Marion is still selling it to me.
    I think the necklace would have been very nice if the “hole” in the dress weren’t there but, as it is, I think it should have been omitted. It’s a little too princessy and discordant with the feel of the gown.
    In any case, I like this and appreciate her taking the risk.

22. ramsay February 10, 2013 at 22:22 #

US Vogue’s ever best dressed this year is quite deserving in my opinion of that title today – bold and chic – I love this look – but one has to wonder is she always the best dressed on Vogue’s list because she is wearing Raf Simons’ creations (better than Lawrence to be honest) or because she is their darling / it girl?

23. Elena February 10, 2013 at 22:57 #

OMG, this is perfection!!! I just love it!! BDOTY…. well done Marion!

24. Henrique February 10, 2013 at 23:47 #

I absolutely love this dress on Vanessa, the model, but I’m not sure about it on Marion. It’s indeed a stunning creation by Raf and my favorite dress from its collection but I’m not wowed as I expected to be.

25. jen February 11, 2013 at 00:11 #

Lobe this!!! beautiful

26. Laura February 11, 2013 at 00:52 #

What’s going on with the illusion panel at knee height? I find it very distracting and totally not required.

27. Pedro February 11, 2013 at 03:22 #

OH MY GOD!!!

Epic moment!
    She looks so damn perfect

BDOTY, for sure!

Love love love

28. Fiona February 11, 2013 at 04:39 #

Beautiful – when I saw this on the runway I thought it was weird and wouldn’t be worn on the red carpet, but I am so glad I was wrong as Marion looks amazing in this – the colour is gorgeous and perfect for a miserable English evening, love the jewels, hair, makeup everything.

29. Joy February 11, 2013 at 05:22 #

Love!!!!! BDOTY!!! I did not see this coming. Absolutely AMAZING!!! And yes, Jennifer Lawrence is in no way the REAL face of Dior. Duh. I’m so glad Marion wore it instead of Jennifer. I’m sure she would have looked beautiful, but Marion brings so much more to this look.

30. the ogre February 11, 2013 at 08:00 #

i’m taking in lungfuls of air as this dream might not last too long what with people going for all kinds of predictability on the red carpet such as boring colors boring silhouettes and so on and so forth. so thank you so very much lady love for bringing this out onto the red carpet. she hasn’t looked this good in a long long time. even i think she could have done without the necklace. mesmerized anyway!

31. Noemi February 11, 2013 at 10:18 #

I loved this dress at once when I saw it on he runway. Great styling.

32. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang February 11, 2013 at 11:11 #

Monochrome is over!! Love Marion Cotillard brought a huge colour punch in this bright daffodil strapless Dior creation!! Love the sheer inert lining from the billowing waist (not bulky on Marion)!! The retro updo and the red lip is divine!! BDOTE contender!! Well, the necklace is not necessary but otherwise she looks absolutely striking!! simply WOW!!

33. JJovana February 11, 2013 at 14:34 #

Perfection head to toe. Just flawless. When I saw her in my favorite Dior look from the couture collection, I jumped.

34. Moxie February 11, 2013 at 15:30 #

I guess I’m the only one not wowed. I really like it until you get to the sheer panel on the side and the skirt that looks like it was tacked on as an after-thought.

35. jones19 February 11, 2013 at 15:39 #

Love it but the sheer panel bugs me a little.

36. Fromchi-town February 11, 2013 at 16:00 #

OMG… She looks stunning. This should surely be on the BDOTY list.

37. rausine February 11, 2013 at 22:08 #

no complaints. at each of its appearance it leaves us wide open mouth and green jalousie.i love its style and audacity.

38. Louise February 12, 2013 at 10:41 #

I really love it on the runway. Looks amazing! The dress looks slightly different on Marion, it’s crinkled weirdly on her like it has too much of a bulgy effect rather than a awesome crinkle effect.