05.07.12

Elie Saab Fall 2012 Couture

The Elie Saab Fall 2012 Couture presentation ended my short trip to Paris for Couture Week.

I’m always a bit nervous before an Elie Saab show as I ask myself, ‘What if I don’t like it?’

I didn’t like it, I loved it. Before I could pick myself up off the floor from Karlie Kloss’ stunning opener, another breathtaking gown hit the runway.

Elie may have given us a lot of daywear for ready-to-wear, but it was back to full-on glamorous gowns for Couture.

Inspired by the ‘imperial splendour’ and Ottoman motifs of Constantinople, the colour was surprisingly summery in parts with soft pink, nude, coral and sky blue presented alongside gold, black and teal blue.

The shapes and silhouettes varied from full-length, knee-length sheaths and flirty flared dresses with thin belts nipping in the model’s’ tiny waist.

Every celeb from Elle Fanning to Helen Mirren could select a look or two from this collection, as the designer covered all the bases – even a blushing bride who closed the show wearing an organza-embossed gown with gold brocade leaves.

This season I was most blown away by the embellished details. The magpie in me just couldn’t get enough. Sequins and beads adorned most of the looks which dazzled or gave an antique, vintage feel to the pieces.

My wish list is super long, so here is the edited version.

Who I Want To See Wearing This Collection: Emily Blunt, Diane Kruger, Jessica Chastain, Penelope Cruz, Cate Blanchett, Rachel McAdams, Lea Michele, Bérénice Marlohe, Zoe Saldana, Katie Holmes, Keira Knightley, Blake Lively and Nicole Kidman.

Credit: Style.com & close up images belong to Red Carpet Fashion Awards

Christopher Kane Resort 2013 On Moda Operandi

Christopher Kane Resort 2013 On Moda Operandi

Jennifer Lawrence's Rachel Zoe Laura Genuine Snakeskin Flats

Jennifer Lawrence’s Rachel Zoe Laura Genuine Snakeskin Flats

45 Responses to Elie Saab Fall 2012 Couture

1. Hailey July 5, 2012 at 18:35 #

You are so lucky, they all look so amazing! Maybe we will all get lucky and see them on the red carpet, fingers crossed.

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2012 at 18:40 #

Fingers and toes crossed

• Ahot July 6, 2012 at 20:35 #

lmao

2. Zerina July 5, 2012 at 18:40 #

Oh dear, I have been waiting for this post since yesterday when I saw this beautiful collection at Elie Saab facebook page. I was blown away by utter beauty and perfection of it. I think this is his best and most beautiful collection at least in couple of last years.

Divine!

• Ahot July 6, 2012 at 20:24 #

+1! The last collection gave me a déjà vu feeling, but this one… is just dreamy.
      The black gown is whispering my name… i can´t resist it… gotta DO something to HAVE it… #to-die-for

3. Hannah July 5, 2012 at 18:42 #

There are no words to describe this show, or any fo Elie’s shows – so breahtaking!
    Also, I know it’s a major, major long shot, but I would die for JEnnfier Aniston in either the gown in the far right in the first picture of 4 gowns, or, evne better, the gown for Penelope Cruz – the colour wiht her colouring would be divine! *Praying & hoping!*
    I know people get bored when there are so many beautiful Elie looks in a row, but I seriously hope we see lots of this collection – I’d rather see every one of these looks on the red carpet than another “Summer LBD”.

4. livinin50s July 5, 2012 at 18:42 #

major sense of deja vu. disappointing

• amelia July 5, 2012 at 21:33 #

totally agree, this is what i feel with all of his shows, its always the same.

• Grace Patricia July 6, 2012 at 15:19 #

I can’t bear tulle, lace and embellishments anymore.

• Linda July 6, 2012 at 19:01 #

I agree in general, but I did love #21. The pattern and style are a departure for him and the lace is beautiful. I hope someone wears it. The others: a lot of them are lovely, but it does feel like I’ve seen them before. So much nude, pink, and blue!

5. glenn July 5, 2012 at 18:47 #

I have pure love for this collection, the first black dress is gorgeous, i will love to see ERW wearing one of this dresses.

6. Yeliz July 5, 2012 at 18:53 #

You, FC and don’t liking a Elie Saab collection? I think that will never happen, neither to you nor to me. Well, what can I say. He showed us again that he is the king. Seriously, this collection is flawless. LOVE, love, love every single look and want to see all of them on the red carpet!

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2012 at 19:02 #

It will never happen, but I get myself so worked up :D

7. lee July 5, 2012 at 18:54 #

blake lively in that gold one that karlie kloss is rocking. please.

• Ahot July 6, 2012 at 20:29 #

Yes! i can already see it. Blake, if you´re reading this (i know you do), you better make it happen & let the gown do the talking! lol

8. jo July 5, 2012 at 19:00 #

I have lookbooks on style.com with my favourites looks from every rtw and couture shows, and when I was going through Elie’s collection I started looking for button that would allow me to add the entire collection. It’s breathtaking. Elie is simply a genius.

• Aline July 5, 2012 at 21:35 #

Oh my God! The same happened to me! I think I added like 40 looks out of the 46.

This collection is just TO. DIE. FOR.

I still haven’t picked my jaw from the floor after seeing the bridal dress. I wish I could wear it when I get married :333

9. Jess July 5, 2012 at 19:05 #

Gorgeous, how can anyone dislike this? Every piece is a work of art. I am looking forward to seeing any one of these looks on the red carpet.

10. NH July 5, 2012 at 19:12 #

every piece is breathtaking
    the wedding dress was like i have no words to descibe it …speechless…i usually have my favourite pieces in each collection but this time its really hard to pick..but I have to say the collection reminds me of marchesa/valentino …some of the pieces are similar but its WAY better..i cant wait to see the video :D
    FC you are so lucky..can I ask how you get invited in these amazing fashion shows?

11. Karis July 5, 2012 at 19:18 #

As I’ve said before on this site I am a sucker for a teal dress and these Elie Saab ones are perfection, as is the collection as a whole! Can’t wait to see it on my red carpet favourites! :D

12. Paulo July 5, 2012 at 19:24 #

Would love to see Nicole Kidman on looks 16, 21, and 42 (# per Style.com). Look #4 is so Angelina Jolie. I can picture Eva Green wearing #5 and 6.

I love #21 so much, hopefully whomever ends up wearing it will do it justice!

13. d July 5, 2012 at 19:42 #

breathtaking but de javu

14. jeremy July 5, 2012 at 20:35 #

THIS is the glamour of Couture where it’s supposed to be. If couture become “accessible” why don’t we just buy RTW?? cough*Dior*cough

15. Dhppy July 5, 2012 at 20:54 #

Ooooh, was this collection sheer Heaven! I loved it! Love!

16. Hisadora July 5, 2012 at 21:45 #

I’m sorry for the lack of words but I’m really speechless after I saw the full collection…… holy Elie!!!

17. Jordan July 6, 2012 at 00:18 #

Get it Karlie! Getting ready to see this allll over the red carpet.

18. Jones19 July 6, 2012 at 01:06 #

It’s so hard to pick a favorite from this collection. There are maybe 1-2 pieces I don’t like and that’s so rare on the runway these days. Saab is a genius.

19. Christine July 6, 2012 at 01:11 #

BDOTY worthy gowns. I like his RTW wear line the most though. This collection is beautiful but I feel like if you seen one Elie Saab dress you’ve seen them all :) Not to say that it’s not wonderful to look at each time.

20. Carina S. July 6, 2012 at 01:12 #

This collection is stunning, really breathtaking. Why is Kristen Stewart never in your wish list?

21. Sonia July 6, 2012 at 02:07 #

The collection is beautiful but I think Zuhair Murad was much better.

22. bi July 6, 2012 at 02:25 #

Love the wish-list Emily Blunt look.
    Do you know any online store I can buy this gown ?

• Fashion Critic July 6, 2012 at 07:11 #

It’s Couture, you can’t buy it online.

You have to go direct

23. analisa July 6, 2012 at 02:59 #

with all total honesty, ES is devastatingly repetitive,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT WHO THE DAMN CARES IF ALL HIS CLOTHES ARE SO FREAKING WEARABLE AND SO UNIVERSALLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ahot July 6, 2012 at 20:34 #

Oh yes, the one for Jolie @ the premiere of her upcoming movie Maleficent… *fingers crossed*

24. NH July 6, 2012 at 06:27 #

I am little curious…how come celebrities dont attend Elie Saab shows compare to other designers?

• Fashion Critic July 6, 2012 at 07:10 #

He invites local French celebs.

Elie Saab doesn’t pay actresses to wear his dresses or sit in his front row.

So it just goes to show which designers are paying celebs to sit in their front row.

• Beta July 6, 2012 at 09:55 #

thanks FC, I didnt know that, and that just adds up to the huge level of respect I have for Elie Saab

I guess we wont be subjected to kim & kanye in his shows XD

• Fashion Critic July 6, 2012 at 10:02 #

Lets hope not :)

• NH July 6, 2012 at 19:01 #

Thank you …it makes so much sense now

25. Dan Oliver July 6, 2012 at 09:07 #

I always love Elie Saab this collection is gorgeous i especially love the look u picked for Emily Blunt FC.

26. TL July 6, 2012 at 09:32 #

Elie Saab collections are pretty and de javu as always.
    Love Karlie Kloss! She is stunning– BDOTW

27. Laveena July 6, 2012 at 15:55 #

This show was definitely my favourite this season, and you are so lucky to have gone for it. Cheers!

28. EmmaWoodhouse July 7, 2012 at 22:47 #

Best show of the season, handsdown. I LOVE his work. It just gives me thrills and chills to see his genius–thanks FC! :D

29. Kathy July 23, 2012 at 07:51 #

Elie Saab is amazing. The craftsmanship in his dresses is just flawless. He knows exactly where to place some beading, where to add a dash of sequins to tie everything together. I hear people complain all the time about his dressess being repetitve, boring. Frankly, while his silhouettes may be rather conservative and predictable, his use of color and embellishments, not to mention his appreciation of timeless beauty, makes him a great designer, no questions asked.