Menu

08.05.12

Karolina Kurkova In Rachel Zoe – 2012 Met Gala

Karolina Kurkova was a certified knock out on the red carpet at the 2012 Met Gala held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City this evening.

The supermodel attended the event with Rachel Zoe, who designed this breathtaking creation.

Her custom long sleeve rose gold sequinned gown with open back and train has me borrowing Rachelโ€™s famous catch phrase…”I DIE”, because I think I just did.

This is amazing. Supermodel amazing, Iman amazing, and no one does amazing quite like Iman, so this is high praise, indeed.

Karolina teamed her spectacular gown with a matching turban and a gold clutch.

This look just leap-frogged Elizabeth Banks for my best dressed of the night so far.

Credit: Getty

Kirsten Dunst In Rodarte - 2012 Met Gala

Kirsten Dunst In Rodarte – 2012 Met Gala

Lana Del Ray In Altuzarra - 2012 Met Gala

Lana Del Ray In Altuzarra – 2012 Met Gala

83 Responses to Karolina Kurkova In Rachel Zoe – 2012 Met Gala

1. Alina May 8, 2012 at 12:42 #

IS SHE REAL? Flawless!

2. J May 8, 2012 at 12:36 #

I’d like to thank the Academy….

3. Jess2 May 8, 2012 at 11:42 #

Breathtaking indeed and I think I just died and went to fashion heaven. I literally gasped and got goosebumps!! BDOTW contender for me. Her makeup is perfect.

4. Nat May 8, 2012 at 11:01 #

Stunning! One of the best dressed of the night.

(Although after reading this post the only thing I can think about is how amazing Iman would have looked in this).

5. rita May 8, 2012 at 09:39 #

When I saw this photo it was one of those moment when you just look at the screen and you can’t even think because there’s something so beautiful, so gorgeous and so perfect in front of you. I will remember this look when I have to decide who was the best dressed of the year.

6. Liana May 8, 2012 at 07:42 #

This is perfection.

It embodies fashion and art at its best level. It would have been weird with the turban for another kind of event, but for the MET gala, it’s perfection.

7. Jeremy May 8, 2012 at 07:37 #

this is UTTERLY breathtaking.

i actually *gasped* when i saw the first pics of this look. KK always brings it at the MET Gala … but this is different level. this is EPIC. she looks quite literally transported from some mythological heaven kingdom of gods. BDOTW. BDOTY!!

8. Lola May 8, 2012 at 07:37 #

+1 …looks very cheap…and with the turtle neck thing and long sleeves…she makes a living from showing clothes, she certainly made the best if it…but the turban?!?

9. Bev May 8, 2012 at 07:30 #

So beautiful. I love the turban. She looks like a goddess. BDOTW worthy !!!

10. Ines May 8, 2012 at 07:26 #

Oh and she looks SO MUCH like Sheikh Mozah there (who has an off the hook style FC and pull HC like it’s no one business considering her position and region)

11. Ines May 8, 2012 at 07:23 #

KK always brings it. Always. True goddess. Style personified with Diane Kruger. Best dressed of the night. Simply A-MA-ZING!

12. roxana May 8, 2012 at 07:19 #

oh my, how amazing she looks!

13. Amy May 8, 2012 at 07:11 #

Gold all over + turban : ususally this is too much but the Met Gala is the perfect place to go over the top. Say what you want about Zoe but she does her research, with Anna Wintour she was the only one to pay tribute to Schiaparelli : the lobster dress and the turban was Elsa’s favourites.

14. Emi May 8, 2012 at 06:23 #

Stunning but I don’t like the turban, it doesn’t flatter anybody I’ve seen in my life.

15. Haseena May 8, 2012 at 06:09 #

Elegance personified! Absolutely immaculate!

16. Tina May 8, 2012 at 05:42 #

Wow!!! There is a certain knock-out factor about this dress in general. The statuesque silhouette, the color, the makeup – everything is just divine! Some might hate the turban, but I think that the turban gives it a sort of otherworldly-feeling that is just right at the Met Gala, and probably not at, say, the Golden Globes.

17. msd May 8, 2012 at 05:37 #

The Met Gala this year is honouring Elsa Schiaparelli and Prada. Rachel Zoe gets big props from me for being one of the few designers to pay homage to Schiaparelli. As you can see below, she loved a good turban!

• Tina May 8, 2012 at 05:43 #

I didn’t know that! Thanks for the link ๐Ÿ™‚

• CreoleLady May 8, 2012 at 10:50 #

Thanks, did not know about the Schiaparelli turban love. Came back to see if I could come to love this look. I still don’t but I’m more appreciative now that I know it is an homage.

18. Joy May 8, 2012 at 04:56 #

A…freaking…mazing. Wow. I think I’m speechless. Perfection. Karolina has looked so amazing lately, she is saying don’t count me out because I’m getting older. Seriously, this look is so fierce. I think is my favorite look for sure.

19. skeptical May 8, 2012 at 04:53 #

i’m sorry this is not breath taking whatsoever.
    while not a hardcore follower of fashion, i call myself a lover of acetic tastes…however there is nothing breathtaking about this.
    Sure the dress accentuates her remarkable figure however the ensamble as a whole looks cheap and tacky and the turban certainly isn’t doing it any favours.
    i agree with the other poster maybe if it was a different material or fabric it would have worked but i am not impressed by this in the slightest.
    however that is my opinion but i guess the general consensus is that it works.

• Aesthet May 8, 2012 at 07:14 #

I agree with you, the dress is tacky actually and it looks ugly with that turban.

• Lola May 8, 2012 at 07:30 #

20. pipsqueak May 8, 2012 at 04:51 #

Very old Hollywood glamor. I thought of Ava Gardner. Stunning.

21. bm May 8, 2012 at 04:28 #

This what supermodels means.
    She is not too costumey, and i’m speechless.

22. MEME May 8, 2012 at 04:22 #

My BEST DRESSED nominee… she knocked it out of the park…. effortless… LOVE!!! LOVE!!! LOVE!!!… it does remind me of the Fan Bing Bing Elie Saab look… and the Kate Moss look from when Marc Jacobs hosted the MET Gala…. but she makes it her own look… YAS HUNTY!!!… WERQ!!!….

23. Quinn May 8, 2012 at 04:17 #

i don’t like turban and i’ve yet seen anyone that can make it work until i saw this! wow!! this is spectacular. perfection from head to toe! the dress is amazing and rachel pick the right person to showcase this magnificent piece! BDOTY!

24. Sabina May 8, 2012 at 03:58 #

We are not worthy… ๐Ÿ™‚

25. Ju Alves May 8, 2012 at 03:40 #

You can call me crazy. And honestly in this moment I think I am, I have the impression that I am the only one who don’t like. The turban and the dress in this same fabric got to much. And this fabric looks cheap, maybe with another fabric would look better. I mean take the example of Sheikha Mozah, beautiful.

• Kathy July 31, 2012 at 15:33 #

I agree with you. I don’t like this look. It’s just too much — too much fabric, too matchy-matchy, too covered, too tacky.

26. Prudence May 8, 2012 at 03:26 #

i wasnt sure about this from afar when i saw it on the live stream but on these pics she looks like perfection incarnate. like im speechless. a person cannot look this great. she was the model of the night, not even gisele can top this.

27. CreoleLady May 8, 2012 at 03:26 #

Deja vu — Kate Moss did the gold turban/dress thing at the Met gala a couple of years ago. Don’t like turbans, very fuddy-duddy in a Joan Crawford “mommy dearest” kind of way and sequins do not change that for me. Meh.

• Estranged May 8, 2012 at 21:49 #

I thought I was the only one to be reminded of Kate Moss here.

28. Emmeline May 8, 2012 at 03:14 #

THIS is how you do the MET Gala. Perfection from head to toe.

• Gillian May 8, 2012 at 16:17 #

29. Ade May 8, 2012 at 03:10 #

My problem with this look is the fact that Rachel didn’t hire a choir to sing holy praises as Karolina walked into the venue.

• Christine May 8, 2012 at 03:20 #

LMAO

• Lee May 8, 2012 at 23:47 #

Hahaha! Good one…

30. Ruby May 8, 2012 at 03:03 #

This look is amazing. Love it

31. Kathryn May 8, 2012 at 02:56 #

SHUTTING IT DOWN…was the Zoeism that came to mind when I saw this look. Karolina is killing it! BDOTY most definitely cause that dress is everything.

32. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) May 8, 2012 at 02:50 #

Spectac! Do you have a shot of the back for us FC?

33. msd May 8, 2012 at 02:40 #

Wowza! *Finally* someone who is doing the whole Met gala thing properly. If you can’t wear a sequinned turban here then where can you wear it? Go big or go home people!

• Linda May 8, 2012 at 02:58 #

You said it!

34. Jennifer May 8, 2012 at 02:37 #

Breathtaking gown on sincerely one of the greatest supermodels in history! She showed everyone how to work a gown! I would have much preferred to see the gold worked into the hair differently, similar to Jennifer Lawrence’s at The Hunger Games. This looks a little too crafty, like Rachel’s tailor cut some of the extra fabric from the hem and made a headband. But all in all…. Stunning! Congrats RZ!

35. Grace Patricia May 8, 2012 at 02:32 #

Jesus! She looks like a goddess!!! Amazing, wonderful, mesmerizing.

36. Hisadora May 8, 2012 at 02:29 #

Girls I’m speechless!!!!! this is OUTSTANDING

37. hauteness May 8, 2012 at 02:29 #

THIS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> … JUST WOW!!!

38. Rachel May 8, 2012 at 02:26 #

FC, I beg of you to not only include this in the BDOTW poll but BDOTY. Rachel Zoe has outdone herself, this is incredible.

39. Hannah May 8, 2012 at 02:25 #

She is just so flawless. I know a lto of people sneer at Rachel Zoe’s designing, but it is jsut so logical to me, as a stylist she knows how to create a ‘wow’ moment, which is personified here. So event appropriate, my favourite of the night so far.
    I didn’t think it was possible, but Karolina 2012 just eclipsed Karolina 2011.

40. T from Sydney May 8, 2012 at 02:23 #

on anyone else it would look stupid but shes brining it!!

the back looks amazing too!!

41. Vidhya May 8, 2012 at 02:21 #

I’m shocked that Rachel Zoe designed this cos this is going into my BDOTY list. Body amazing. Dress amazing. Makeup amazing. i hate hairpieces .. so im gonna ignore that.. but man this is giving me goose bumps!

• noo May 8, 2012 at 07:26 #

i was also one of many skeptics about rachel being a serious designer! but now it just made perfect sense to me ๐Ÿ˜€ she understands her clients’ bodies and can produce looks to make a supermodel look much taller than she is ๐Ÿ˜€ and you can see her styling talent in the turban! perfection all the way ๐Ÿ˜€

42. EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2012 at 02:21 #

So much gold! I am not a turban fan, so I should LOGICALLY hate that part of it, but I love the high-fashion fabulosity that is going on here! OH MY GOSH! SO excited by this ๐Ÿ™‚ She looks about a million miles tall and is totally on par for the theme. ๐Ÿ™‚

43. Anne g May 8, 2012 at 02:19 #

OOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    I Can’t say more. She Kill Me

44. Jones19 May 8, 2012 at 02:17 #

Not loving the matching turban but wow this dress is amazing. Who knew Rachel Zoe could design something like this? I’m in awe.

45. SilentVisitor May 8, 2012 at 02:17 #

Just one word, perfection….

46. Riley May 8, 2012 at 02:17 #

This is stunning but the headband is too much. It takes the look to a little tacky. I wish she wore her hair in an elegant updo or a neat pony tail.

• Yeliz May 8, 2012 at 14:25 #

I totally agree. The gown is just stunning but the headband tacky.

47. NooG May 8, 2012 at 02:16 #

*GASP* I just wrote how much I love Kirsten Dunst – this will be hard to beat indeed. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. BDOTW. It also better be one of the BDOTY too!!!!

• Linda May 8, 2012 at 12:22 #

Yes, this is most definitely a BDOTY top five! I can’t get over how gorgeous this woman is in this ensemble. Her body just won’t quit!

48. Christine May 8, 2012 at 02:16 #

The headbands just makes it more dumb good. Knocks it out the park!

• Ines May 8, 2012 at 07:27 #

Indeed! With the turban, she looks SO MUCH like Sheikh Mozah there (who has an off the hook style FC and pull HC like it’s no one business considering her position and region)

49. Christine May 8, 2012 at 02:16 #

Tears in my eyes!!!! Praise Jesus ๐Ÿ˜€ She shut it down! She is my pick too for #1!

FC, so many BDOTW worthy gowns. We’re in heaven! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Fashion Critic May 8, 2012 at 02:21 #

totally

• Rory May 8, 2012 at 02:24 #

LMFAO praise Jesus indeed! ahahahaha

• Linda May 8, 2012 at 02:57 #

LOL! Great comment, and I totally agree with every word.

• Saree May 8, 2012 at 08:45 #

Oh yes! & only a supermodel could pull this off.

FC – I wish you all the luck – it’s like Xmas!

50. MG May 8, 2012 at 02:15 #

Reminds me of Fan Bingbing with her turban and gold clutch… love it