12.03.12

Princess Charlene of Monaco was in Bendigo, Australia, this weekend to open the Grace Kelly: Style Icon exhibition, which was held in the Bendigo Art Gallery during the L’Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival.

She wore a Johanna Johnson custom dress.

The blush-hued dress with a low-cut back and beaded Swarovski crystal-embellished trims is beautiful, but I can’t help feeling like embellishments are a tad OTT for a daytime event.

Also, for one so broad shouldered, should Charlene really be wearing a dress which does nothing but accentuate them?

This look leaves me with so many questions.

What do you think?

Silver Jimmy Choo ‘Lance’ sandals completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Nicole Richie In Proenza Schouler -  ‘VH1 Morning Buzz’

Nicole Richie In Proenza Schouler – ‘VH1 Morning Buzz’

Lana Del Rey In ASOS - Chateau Marmont

Lana Del Rey In ASOS – Chateau Marmont

41 Responses to Princess Charlene of Monaco In Johanna Johnson – Grace Kelly: Style Icon Exhibition Grand Opening

1. Christy March 12, 2012 at 19:39 #

It’s so funny / strange to see my tiny little home town featured on RCFA! That aside, I agree with you re the shoulder embellishments. At least she’s smiling though!

2. Tisha Loves Smokey Eyes March 12, 2012 at 19:39 #

I think she looks so elegant! That soft pink color is so fitting for a princess. The designer did a fab job designing a dress that complements her body type =)

3. Brooke March 12, 2012 at 19:41 #

She has so many lovely qualities to dress, but her stylist consistently dresses her in a manner which diametrically opposes all of her best physical assets. A full skirt here, a cutaway shoulder there and nearly any color would do her absolute wonders.

4. Rebecca Z March 12, 2012 at 19:47 #

I don’t mind the embellishment, but the cut really does make her broad shoulders even broader. And I don’t find the hairstyle very flattering.

• bas March 12, 2012 at 21:14 #

I agree, the hair is a mess and the dress is not helping with her body shape.

• Dani March 12, 2012 at 22:03 #

Second what both of you said. The dress isn’t great, but the hair is terrible. Fix that and this would have been a pass.

5. CTgirl March 12, 2012 at 20:08 #

She looks like the mother of the bride. Tragic.

• elle24 March 12, 2012 at 20:32 #

Exactly what I was thinking. This frock (now there’s a good grandma word) ages her by about 40 years.

6. bm March 12, 2012 at 20:21 #

Her Jimmy Choo’s sandals are catch my eyes from this look.

7. Juliana March 12, 2012 at 20:24 #

Also, I don’t like her nipples being so visible. Say what you want about Catherine, people, but she would never be caught in such a faux pas.

• Rebecca Z March 12, 2012 at 20:35 #

I think that is the end of the dart, not actually nipples

• molly March 12, 2012 at 21:51 #

Kates wedding dress had pointy boobs and she flashed her panties last week.
      As Rebecca Z said, it looks like its just the seem.

8. dressaddict March 12, 2012 at 20:25 #

Totally agree with the shoulders. It’s the first thing you notice on her when you see the pictres. To bad, because it’s a really nice dress.

9. dee March 12, 2012 at 20:26 #

The dress doesn’t compliment her figure and the hairstyle is too casual and lifeless.

10. Lee ann March 12, 2012 at 20:30 #

She looks so trashy. princess Grace must be spinning in her grave

• Ramsay March 12, 2012 at 22:04 #

Agreed

11. Emma March 12, 2012 at 21:40 #

Her hair is a mess, the colour of the dress does’t suit her skin tone, and the shape of the dress does nothing for her figure. She is a beautiful woman, but this look is a disaster.

12. Tam March 12, 2012 at 21:46 #

I was there for this event and it was 7pm when she arrived, the sun was still out. It was a cocktail event.

• Fashion Critic March 12, 2012 at 21:50 #

OK…I stand corrected

13. Jerusa March 12, 2012 at 21:57 #

I don’t want to sound rude but what is wrong with her face? Looks like she aged 20 years since the last time we saw her at the Oscars. This look is so not good for her.

• Fashion Critic March 12, 2012 at 22:07 #

I think she has lost a lot of weight very quickly

14. molly March 12, 2012 at 21:59 #

Its a pretty outfit but she looks like a football player. Not a good dress such a broad shouldered girl.

15. Jones19 March 12, 2012 at 23:42 #

The shoulders embellishments are OTT, she has very broad shoulders.

16. Gillian March 13, 2012 at 01:36 #

I love it, even if it is a tad OTT for day. She looks really nice.

And I don’t really see a problem with highlighting her broad shoulders. I mean, is it really a bad asset? It’s kind of like when you want to highlight her waist or her legs, she shouldn’t try to hide her frame, she should flaunt it.

17. Angela March 13, 2012 at 02:13 #

This is a nice dress not only in the wrong place, but with horrendous hair and on the wrong body.

18. Valeria March 13, 2012 at 04:01 #

Why does she look so old?? And hair is tragic! I don’t find embellishment too much, but the already broad shoulders are not flattered by this dress, even she has those amazingly toned arms

19. lin March 13, 2012 at 04:51 #

Most of the time she looks elegant, but this is not one of those times.

20. Lara March 13, 2012 at 06:35 #

I think this look is a big improvement for Charlene. I like the colour and the shoes. The hair is not good and she looks really drawn, like she’s lost some weight way to quickly! I can’t help admiring her style though! She’s come a long way. I’ll always have a soft spot for a fellow South African girl x

21. Emi March 13, 2012 at 12:27 #

I like the dress, but hair and make up are terrible, she looks much older.

22. Alina March 13, 2012 at 15:06 #

This is tragic.

23. beadingchef March 13, 2012 at 16:26 #

the color is not good for her, the fit on the top part of the dress is off and the shoes need to be in my closet.

24. DP March 13, 2012 at 19:24 #

She has had far better looks; totally agree re: shoulders as it was the first thing I thought. I’m glad this isn’t the kind of website where we pick at women’s bodies, but I also believe in being honest and dressing to flatter yourself and your best features. I myself have broad shoulders and I wouldn’t have picked a dress that does that to them. I am also curious about whether it was a bit chilly or she was nervous as she also seems to be hunching them? Maybe that’s what’s throwing me off.

25. jane March 13, 2012 at 19:52 #

Poor unfortunate soul…in pain…in need. The dress color is too close to her skin tone and is not flattering. The diamond encrusted epaulettes…well, I think that phrase says it all. From the waist down she looks good but she can do better with all that money.

26. Carolina Roq March 14, 2012 at 13:17 #

She looks so sad :(

27. Snowlion March 14, 2012 at 16:57 #

Hair and make up are woeful, she looks washed out.

28. Katie March 14, 2012 at 17:23 #

The colour is lovely on her!!i think the cut of the dress isnt the nicest,its the happiest photo i have seen of her though

29. Parvati March 14, 2012 at 20:04 #

I don’t mind the embellishments, but the accented shoulders are an explicable choice. Apart from that, the colour is nice and the sandals are gorgeous.

30. nathalie19 March 14, 2012 at 22:51 #

Mamma mia! That hair!!! horiible….and the dress makes her look too masculine

Pretty sad….

31. Jen March 15, 2012 at 03:30 #

I totally agree with your assessment of the shoulder accentuating style. Her head looks like it’s been shrunken.

Her hair is also looking frightfully lifeless.

32. EmmaWoodhouse March 16, 2012 at 14:43 #

Wow, this is very sad. I find it so ironic that this is at an event for Style Icon Princess Grace! The dress does nothing for Charlene except make her look broad and angular. The shoes make her feet look big, her hair is flat and lifeless. Imo Catherine blows her out of the water, but we have seen some beautiful looks from Charlene in the past so this is a shock. What’s going on?