29.02.12

Front Row @ Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2012

The front row at Dolce & Gabbana shows are just as anticipated as the collection itself.

The celebrities make their way down from the VIP lounge, to the end of the runway where they are papped by the photographers one by one.

Sonam Kapoor: I was honoured that Sonam wanted to meet me before the show as I had missed her in Paris. She was happy to discover that we were the same height. It’s a rare that I meet women my height so I shared her joy. She looked amazing wearing a sunflower and onion Dolce & Gabbana Spring 2012 fitted dress. “I’m wearing vegetables”, she joked. “You wear it well”, I replied. Red lips matched her red Dolce & Gabbana bag and gold peep-toes completed her look.

Dame Helen Mirren: The grand Dame was almost unrecognisable at the Dolce & Gabbana show. When word got around that it was her, people were in disbelief. Mostly because she continues to defy her years looking very sprightly wearing head-to-toe Dolce & Gabbana. She opted for floral instead of fruit, teaming her fitted dress with a beige short sleeve coat from the Spring 2012 collection. An animal print Miss Sicily bag completed the look.

Monica Bellucci: The actress sent the photographers crazy; as you can well imagine. The woman who is archetypal Dolce & Gabbana woman and face of the Spring 2012 campaign looked stunning wearing a Dolce & Gabbana polka dot dress. She really took my breath away with her presence and beauty.

Watch the whole Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2012 presentation.

Credit: Getty

Rachel Bilson In Chanel - Chanel and Charles Finch Pre-Oscar Dinner

Rachel Bilson In Chanel – Chanel and Charles Finch Pre-Oscar Dinner

Get Up To 70% Off Stella McCartney At theOutnet

Get Up To 70% Off Stella McCartney At theOutnet

57 Responses to Front Row @ Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2012

1. Bec February 29, 2012 at 22:13 #

Wow, Sonam is your height?! I never would have picked that!!!

Helen Mirren is a freak of nature – love that woman!!

2. Katrin February 29, 2012 at 22:13 #

The beautiful Helen Mirren is not the only one to defy her years. It is unbelievable that Monica Bellucci is not far from being 50.

3. Varsha K. February 29, 2012 at 22:16 #

Sonam’s dress is apparently “Onion” printed.. According to Net-A-Poter, who are selling a Dolce bodice in the exact same print!

• Fashion Critic February 29, 2012 at 22:58 #

ok thanks

4. Erik February 29, 2012 at 22:28 #

Love Sonam Kapoor’s dress but I’ve always thought those were onions instead of pommegrenates, ah well.

• molly March 1, 2012 at 01:21 #

I thought that they were onions as well!

5. Maz February 29, 2012 at 22:46 #

Wow…You must be so proud that Sonam wanted to meet you FC! Amazing for you and deserved of course! All the ladies look lovely here…

6. Ted February 29, 2012 at 23:22 #

FC, can you please tell us what were your favorite items and who you see wearing them?

• Ted February 29, 2012 at 23:23 #

I see them.

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 10:10 #

I’ll come back to you..

7. jane February 29, 2012 at 23:24 #

Loving the application of “women of various ages” idea to runway shows; it just makes sense. Why not show women from various age groups modeling your designs? You can still be elitist and protect your brand’s reputation by choosing women of various ages from the socially elite, thereby keeping it ~aspirational~ as is so important. Win-win

8. Raquel March 1, 2012 at 00:28 #

How tall are you FC?

The three of them look stunning!

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 05:51 #

I’m 5 ft 11ins

9. Giuseppi Giraffe March 1, 2012 at 00:55 #

Oh wow… Sonam Kapoor wanted to meet you! That is so cool.

10. Jess2 March 1, 2012 at 00:58 #

The ladies all looked amazing and I am super impressed with Dame Helen and Monica!! I was seriously blown away by Dame Helen, I am lost for words. It is almost like you would expect Sonam and Helen to be wearing the others clothes but their looks are outstanding! Love all three

I was so excited for you hearing that Sonam asked to meet you FC what an honour indeed, and very deserved! I must admit, I am slightly jealous of all the amazing things you get to do, so thank you for sharing with us :)

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 05:51 #

I have been fortunate, but it is thanks to you guys I get to do all these things.

Your support keeps the site alive x

11. molly March 1, 2012 at 01:21 #

Helen looks amazing! Thats a whole lot of print but she wears it well.

12. EmmaWoodhouse March 1, 2012 at 01:25 #

How lovely that Sonam wanted to meet you, FC! :) She looks beautiful and classy here as always, and I’m even liking the veggie print. (I generally don’).
    Helen Mirren’s looks chic, although I don’t think the bag and shoes went with the look. Regardless, she could be half her age!
    Monica is gorgeous but I’m not as impressed by her outfit here. The tights/peep-toes combo and the run-of-the-mill dress doesn’t really do it for me.

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 05:38 #

Monica, was mesmerising in person. It doesn’t translate well in the pictures

13. Linda March 1, 2012 at 01:43 #

That’s so cool…I guess Sonam reads your blog just like we do.

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 05:37 #

Yes :D

14. NH March 1, 2012 at 02:37 #

omg does sonam knows about RCFA?
    did you tell her about how she won the BDOTW?

I feel like all celebrities reads this blog haha…after all it is the BEST fashion blog:D

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 05:35 #

Thanks

I’m not sure how she found out.

Like you said I thnk celebs do read the site :D

15. A. March 1, 2012 at 04:38 #

sonam is a gorgeous young lady. how was your experience of meeting her? is she more stylish in person?

• Myra March 1, 2012 at 20:10 #

I also do not understand why various commentors are using a fashion blog to make spiteful personal comments about a celebrity.

16. Iris March 1, 2012 at 06:51 #

I think you’re a bigger star than Sonam, FC, so it’s only right that she want to meet you! Sonam’s not really much of an actress and is mostly in the news in the Indian media for her fashion sense, so it’s a smart move on her part to know one of the most influential fashion bloggers in person.

• appletini March 1, 2012 at 07:59 #

I think Iris is absolutely right. I live in India and I know that Sonam is not really a star here. She is more of a fashionista (which Im guessing isnt the same as being a star) so its only appropriate for her to meet you. So Sonam should feel honored :)

• Love_NYC March 1, 2012 at 08:24 #

I agree with Iris! Coming from India and having met and seen Sonam a few times I can tell you she’s just a pretty face. She is definitely not known for anything else. Having said that, I do agree she is blows everyone here out of the water when it comes to fashion.

I definitely dont think that it was an honour that you got to meet Sonam. Its no big deal. I think its a GIANT honour for her to have met you!! ;)

Ps- I have been reading your blog right from the beginning and this is the first time I have ever commented. I have been really enjoying your ‘Fashion Critic Awards’ and my colleagues think its really strange that there are chuckling sounds coming from my cubicle during lunch hours every day. Great stuff!

PPS- Sonam follows a fashion blog in Indian called High Heel Confidential. She probably picked your blog from them, as did I!

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 10:09 #

LOL… @ “my colleagues think its really strange that there are chuckling sounds coming from my cubicle during lunch hours every day.”

That is the very reason I started this blog. Love it.

Thank you…now that put a smile on my face x

And thanks for your first comment

• AuntieChrist March 1, 2012 at 09:19 #

i agree.. she isn’t even one of the top actresses there..she is only known for wearing designer clothes, giving weird and intellectually challenged interviews and being daughter of a famous actor in India..

I am sure she has been following your blogs for years :) its the best out there ;)

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 10:06 #

thanks for the blog lovin’ x

• Zina March 1, 2012 at 19:53 #

LOL @ “she is only known for wearing designer clothes, giving weird and intellectually challenged interviews”

I SO agree with you. :-D
        She loves being the “sophisticated one”, however I rarely find her interviews as sophisticated as she makes you think she is! If you ask me, she sounds like a hyper teenager sometimes..:-D

• Myra March 1, 2012 at 20:08 #

I’m a British woman who happens to be a fan of Bollywood. I’ve loved and followed your blog for ages, but this is the first time I am commenting. Indian women who get noticed in the west are always subjected to much cattiness and bile for some reason. The internet is filled with vicious comments from Indians about Freida and Aishwarya and now Sonam seems to be joining their ranks.

She is one of the five highest paid actresses in India, has starred in a number of major movies and is on the cover of at least a couple of magazines every month. She is easily recognisable in India and has signed several major endorsemnt deals with international brands. She is undisputably a big star.

Please public my comment because I feel like the other comments on this blog are unfairly diminishing and misrepresenting Sonam’s celebrity.

• Crack March 2, 2012 at 04:02 #

Cover pages and endorsements does not make an actress. We all pretty much understand that.
        Everyone who has commented/replied to Iris are just telling FC(who i am sure is not well versed with indian film industry) that she is not as big star back home as FC thinks she is. No offense to Sonam but she pretty much sucks at acting. All she is known for is fashion. That doesn’t make her a lesser person, as she’s going places fashionwise. I loved many of her looks here. We just dont think she’s a star/actrees/heroine yet. There’s nothing wrong in being a fashionista.
        And whats the point of dragging Aishwarya and Frieda in it? As for Sonam, for FC she is another Fashion It-girl, who is good at what she is doing, but for us Indians she is an actress first who just cant do her job properly. Hope you now understand the difference in opinions.
        Here Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Just because they dont like Sonam, doesnt mean they are full of Bile.
        Also, Let me take this opportunity to thanks FC as everyone who is trying to know anything about western fashion, or any fashion for that matter, they come to RCFA. This blog has taught me and many like me so much about fashion. You are my Guru FC.

• Fashion Critic March 2, 2012 at 07:09 #

Thank you.

Whilst I understand your comments, this is a fashion site, so lets stick to fashion.

• Myra March 2, 2012 at 08:25 #

Crack- there is a difference between saying that you do not think a woman is a good actress and saying that she isn’t a bit celebrity. Sonam is definitely extremely famous in India and she’s not a nobody. I brought Freida and Ash in because Indian women who get noticed abroad are always torn down.

I’m sure Sonam was very excited to meet a fashion blogger as talented as FC but she’s also a big deal herself and I do think it was an honour for FC to meet her. It’s sad to see so many Indian women on here insisting that she’s nothing and meeting her isn’t an honour. You should be proud that she is representing your country so ably on the fashion front. I don’t think Tha FC ever said she was an award winning actress, so why rush in and pull her down just because FC happens to comment on how she is honoured to meet her?

And making catty personal comments about an actress on a fashion blog does count as bile as far as I am concerned. This is not the appropraite forum for such comments and making them here smacks of spite.

• Myra March 2, 2012 at 08:28 #

And while cover pages and endorsements do not make an actress, I do believe that being one of the highest paid actresses in one of the world’s major film industries is evidence enough that the person is a celebrity and a very famous one at that. .

• Zina March 2, 2012 at 15:35 #

Absolutely agree with Crack. She isn’t exactly in the A-list of Hindi actresses.

But you have to give it to her, she can even carry off an onion printed dress! S
          Sometimes I wonder whether people can learn all that poise, confidence and elegance or if they are simply born with it..:-)

• PB March 2, 2012 at 16:57 #

@Crack, “Cover pages and endorsements does not make an actress.” But we’re talking about a star, not an actress! :)

• Errun March 2, 2012 at 16:14 #

I agree 100% with you..there is something wrong with us Indians who can not stand someone making it big internationally..India is a nation of crab mentality people..not only the actresses, the designers or music artists no body is spared…and of course it’s an honor for anyone to meet Sonam who understands fashion and does amazing movies..I mean she’s young has who has such amazing career ahead of her..I feel pity for those who can not see any one going this far..

• Errun March 2, 2012 at 16:18 #

Sorry I agree with Myra not Crack!

• Zina March 2, 2012 at 16:55 #

@ Errun: Honestly, I didn’t come across a single person of that “type” you described (those Indians who can’t stand a Indian celeb that is successful in the West)
          And if someone s cricizing her, then it’s their opinion.
          Just the way you are entitled to your opinion others are, too, don’t you agree?

I could never support a celebrity just because they come from the same country I hail from and because they are making it big outside of India.

(So sorry for making this thread longer! :) )

• Myra March 2, 2012 at 19:10 #

Zina, I’m certainly not saying that you have to support her or think that she is a good actress just because she is Indian. But there is no need to pull her down baseless either.

I didn’t object to people saying she wasn’t a good actress. What I did object to is people saying that she isn’t a celebrity (which she clearly is) and that it wasn’t a big deal for FC to meet her. FC never mentioned her acting prowess or her intellectual capability, she just said that she was honoured to meet Sonam at a fashion show, presumably because she admires Sonam’s fashion sense (of which we all seem to be in agreement that it is excellent). So why come onto the blog and pull her down insisting that she isn’t a big deal in India (patently untrue, she is very famous and onnevery second billboard and magazine cover) and make jabs at her acting and interviews on a fashion forum?

And if you haven’t witnessed the mentality where Indians love to pull down their actresses who get noticed abroad, you clearly haven’t seen all the vicous comments against Freida Pinto and Aishwarya Rai, both by Indians on the net and by the Indian media itself.

• Myra March 2, 2012 at 19:11 #

*to pulled down baselessly either

17. appletini March 1, 2012 at 07:54 #

Hi FC

I have been a comment-virgin hitherto as I have been discreetly following your blog for a while now. But your amazoing work has helped me finally confess that I’m an addict :) I think you do a fab job and your coverage is always spectacular.

Thank you for giving me my daily dose of awesome fashion.

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 10:09 #

thank you…it’s a good addiction to have, like shopping for shoes ;)

x

18. luci March 1, 2012 at 09:22 #

the three ladies are absolutely gorgeous!! :)
    im loving the vegetable DG dresses :)

• Alina March 2, 2012 at 11:28 #

19. D March 1, 2012 at 09:45 #

Helen Mirren is stunning as usual.
    FC great work :)

20. Moxie March 1, 2012 at 16:21 #

Did you get to meet/speak with Dame Helen too, FC?

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 16:23 #

I didn’t

21. PB March 2, 2012 at 16:56 #

I was going to comment and say the exact same thing but Myra said it for me! Sonam is definitely a BIG star in India, and has been on the cover of Vogue, Elle, Harper’s, Marie Claire more than a few times! She is the face of L’Oreal too. She may not have hit a home run on the acting front YET, but if you look back at ALL the major actors in India today, their first few (or even several) movies were flops. Anyway, all I wanted to say was- like it or not, Sonam is a big deal! It was great that you guys got to meet each other, FC!

• Zina March 2, 2012 at 18:16 #

That’s true! Magazine covers love her.

22. Thebaghag March 2, 2012 at 19:35 #

i LOOOOVED helen mirren. And WOW Sonam Kapoor is talll!!!!

23. Iris March 2, 2012 at 19:41 #

Sorry I inadvertently started a flame-war, FC!

• Fashion Critic March 2, 2012 at 19:48 #

Hopefully every one has got it off their chests, so that the next post on Sonam will be purely fashion related

• Iris March 2, 2012 at 19:52 #

Fingers crossed. Thanks for your patience.