22.02.12

Zooey Deschanel In Vintage Shareen – 2012 Writers Guild Awards

Zooey Deschanel walked the red carpet before heading inside to host the 2012 Writers Guild Awards in LA on Sunday night.

The quirky actress wore her own vintage plaid Shareen dress.

I can’t help but imagine Zooey tying her flannel sheets into a halter neck and cinching it with some leftover ribbon from her craft box.

Signature curls and a rosy lip colour complete the look.

Credit: Getty

Must-Have Monday

Must-Have Monday

Kate Beckinsale In Vivienne Westwood - 14th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards

Kate Beckinsale In Vivienne Westwood – 14th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards

24 Responses to Zooey Deschanel In Vintage Shareen – 2012 Writers Guild Awards

1. Ro February 22, 2012 at 19:14 #

FC – My thoughts exactly! Maybe in a different fabric it would have looked amazing.

2. EmmaWoodhouse February 22, 2012 at 19:15 #

Flannel sheets–yes, I’m afraid so! :(

3. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) February 22, 2012 at 19:25 #

LOl, yes. She’s so adorable she nearly pulls it off though.

4. alex February 22, 2012 at 19:26 #

This makes her look so tall!

5. Mol February 22, 2012 at 19:28 #

She’s so cute that she can almost get away with wearing flannel sheets – almost……

6. Lori February 22, 2012 at 20:16 #

Lumberjack chic! Close, but not quite Zooey.

7. Leni February 22, 2012 at 20:37 #

My grandmother has some curtains hanging in her kitchen, quite similar to these ones..

8. pepe February 22, 2012 at 20:40 #

when i see that kind of dresses with ribbons in that way , i always remember this J.Lo dress by Michael Kors

9. JacobGH February 22, 2012 at 21:23 #

My god, this is hideous.

10. Rebecca Z February 22, 2012 at 21:27 #

Lol, FC. You totally wrote what I was thinking. My first thought was really…plaid? She does look cute–how does she do that?

11. ilike2smize February 22, 2012 at 22:35 #

Shareen is just a vintage resale store. This looks like an original Claire Mccardell from the 1930s. She was the ‘mother’ of American sportswear – the precursor to Donna, Marc, Kors, Calvin, Isaac – in fact they have all been ‘inspired’ by her (nice way of saying knocked off) greatly. And yes, she is exactly who Michael Kors knocked off with that J-Lo dress. He owes his business and success to the late Ms. McCardell (as every MK collection borrows heavily from her work)!!!

• CreoleLady February 23, 2012 at 01:56 #

Wow, so that’s why I’m totally loving this silhouette (the plaid not so much) and why the crisscross detail is so familiar. Thank you for your insights. I’m going to see if I can find out more about McCardell.

• ilike2smize February 23, 2012 at 06:40 #

She was a genius! I’d bet my bottom dollar this is an original Claire McCardell. She was the MOST modern American designer because she introduced a freedom and casual elegance not seen before. While Chanel was being very pristine and channeling perfection, Ms. McCardell was liberating American women from the constraints of overt glamour. Her sense of glamour was much more undone & casual. She combined very humble fabrications (simple jerseys, plaids, cottons) with super modern, elegant and deceptively simple silhouettes. Donna’s jerseys, bodysuits, etc = McCardell. Kors’ leather trims, jersey gowns = McCardell. She was THE trailblazer.

• Dhppy February 23, 2012 at 21:32 #

Shareen also seems to put out their own label, and this appears to be the same dress in a solid: http://www.shareenvintage.com/shop/shareen-the-label/the-red-label/shareen-the-label-magenta-halter-gown-with-platinum-leather-straps.html

• ilike2smize February 24, 2012 at 00:24 #

WOW! You are so right – seems that Shareen has also knocked off Miss McCardell almost line for line. But I guess the fact that they are a vintage store, reproducing dresses-of-old is probably what they do. Thx for the info!

12. Molly February 23, 2012 at 01:00 #

I think she is adorable and totally pulls this look off. It is unique and guaranteed nobody else was going to show up in the same dress – which is all part of Zooey’s charm.

• Alina February 23, 2012 at 16:11 #

I agree.

13. bm February 23, 2012 at 05:03 #

Only Zooey can pull off this look. It works for me.

14. Vidhya February 23, 2012 at 05:17 #

U said it abt the dress. I would like to add a line about her eye makeup.. so heavy on the upper and nude in the lower is looking extremely weird esp in the far off shots.

15. Carolina Roq February 23, 2012 at 13:46 #

I love her!

16. Dhppy February 23, 2012 at 17:02 #

I love plaid, and I think she looks beautiful in this dress. She looks so different than anyone else, which is also a plus.

• Dhppy February 23, 2012 at 17:34 #

I love the ribbon, too. This dress is darling, really.

17. beadingchef February 23, 2012 at 18:57 #

I like and she pulls it off, she does look so very tall and thank you ilike2smize for the wonderful education, I love this blog , I have learned much.

18. Shaina February 25, 2012 at 01:34 #

She looks amazing! Very daring to wear her own vintage gown and she works this look very well.