18.01.12 Beauty, Hair

Girls Going Gray—Is It A Good Look?

We’re used to seeing mature women color their hair blond or brunet in an effort to look younger, but it looks as if the opposite trend—sexy silver foxes—is set to pick up momentum.

Following in the slate-stranded footsteps of Lady Gaga, Pixie Geldolf, and Pink, E! Fashion Police host Kelly Osbourne turned up at the 2012 People’s Choice Awards having turned her marvelous mane fully gray (alongside her 60-year-old mother who rocked a rich ‘Rihanna red’ mop-top. Talk about trading places!)

And it isn’t just on the red carpet—lavender- and blue-tinted gray hair has popped up on the runways in recent seasons, namely S/S11 Jean Paul Gaultier, and S/S12 Narcisco Rodriguez.

Thing is, prematurely aging your hair is certainly a way to stand out amongst the crowd… Would you go gray in an effort to keep up with current tress trends? —India-Jewel Jackson

Tilda Swinton In Haider Ackermann - 2012 Golden Globe Awards

Tilda Swinton In Haider Ackermann – 2012 Golden Globe Awards

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2012 Golden Globe Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2012 Golden Globe Awards?

16 Responses to Girls Going Gray—Is It A Good Look?

1. Terry January 18, 2012 at 17:33 #

I bet Kelly won’t be so quick to embrace her natural grey hair when she gets older… As a woman who’s torn between going grey or keep on dying (I’m 38 with lots of grey hair), I surely don’t approve of this trend, even if I must admit it’s kind of mesmerizing, not on Kelly, but on Kristen McMenamy, for example.

2. noo January 18, 2012 at 17:51 #

i think kelly looks nice in her grey hair, even though i am not a fan of deviating severely from one’s original hair color. as a 19 year old who is going grey , i would consider such a look down the road :D

3. Emi January 18, 2012 at 18:04 #

Not when you’re so young. I agree with Terry about K. McMenamy, but she’s much older and she’s a one of a kind woman, for me.

4. Vidhya January 18, 2012 at 18:22 #

I thot it looked pretty pathetic for her skin tone. But the ridiculous feathered out hairstyle ages her more than the colour itself!

5. Holly January 18, 2012 at 19:30 #

April on Project Runway All Stars is rocking this look, and her hair looks a little blue. Not sure if I prefer the gray-blue or platinum blond when it comes to the extreme. Kelly mentioned on Fashion Police that her mom hated the look, but I think that she pulled off the trend nicely.

6. Jen January 18, 2012 at 19:40 #

I didn’t find it flattering for Kelly herself. But, I’m 33 and my hair is generally white blonde and short (think Pink) but we toned it to be silver and almost metallic/robotic grey earlier last year. I loved it. But in the end, it wasn’t as flattering as the white-blonde for my skin, so I went back.

7. laura D January 18, 2012 at 21:09 #

I would like it if it were a more silvery tone. I’ve seen that a couple of times and loved it. But this very flat looking grey I’m seeing I am not a fan of – and I love the way women who have gone naturally grey look, even if they are still young.

8. Giuseppi Giraffe January 18, 2012 at 21:11 #

I love the silvery/gray/platinum look. Love it.

9. TeaAtTwo January 18, 2012 at 23:01 #

What looks cool on Karolina Kurkova looks awful on Kelly Osbourne.

• mattison January 19, 2012 at 02:48 #

I can’t be objective at all when it comes to Kelly Osbourne. How she has the audacity to blast anyone’s fashion choices is beyond me.

• smolls January 19, 2012 at 03:40 #

Agreed! Kelly’s color is super drab & blah…

10. Linda January 19, 2012 at 01:27 #

Didn’t that young blogger Tavi do this like three years ago? I seem to recall something of the sort. Seems like this trend should be over by now, although I must say she doesn’t look half bad in that picture.

11. Laura January 19, 2012 at 06:28 #

Why is she even on Fashion Police? With hair like that, she should be put in jail right now.

• India-Jewel January 19, 2012 at 21:38 #

Zinger! Ladies and gentlemen, this here is the winning comment!

12. Sharon January 19, 2012 at 19:58 #

I don’t care for the flat gray look like Kelly’s, but I have always liked silver-gray. Many years ago when the world and I were young, I spent a small fortune on having my naturally blah ash hair streaked with silver strands. Now I have a full head of silver hair and it costs me nothing. :)

13. EmmaWoodhouse January 19, 2012 at 20:17 #

Wow. This is a weird trend. Natural silver/gray can be lovely–just look at Helen Mirren! But dying it that way is just plain crazy!