Menu

January 20, 2020

Cynthia Erivo In Schiaparelli Haute Couture – 2020 SAG Awards

Cynthia Erivo In Schiaparelli Haute Couture - 2020 SAG Awards

Go bold, go big, or go home continued to be Cynthia Erivo’s M.O. at the 2020 SAG Awards on Sunday (January 19) in LA.

You would never guess the ‘Harriet’ actress and nominee is only 5’1” as she shows such a great command of voluminous gowns and waves of fabric that you’d think would be overwhelming on paper.

I was most enchanted by the vibrant colour palette of this custom Schiaparelli Haute Couture creation — as well as the taffeta that was suspended and sculpted just so.

For being a custom design, I think there were some fit issues in the bodice that could have been better addressed.

But, the saturated hues were so overwhelming — in a good way — that it worked to her favour.

Roberto Coin and Maria Tash jewels completed the look.

Credit: Getty

, , , , , ,

Rachel Brosnahan In Stella McCartney - 2020 SAG Awards

Rachel Brosnahan In Stella McCartney – 2020 SAG Awards

Laura Dern In Stella McCartney - 2020 SAG Awards

Laura Dern In Stella McCartney – 2020 SAG Awards

13 Responses to Cynthia Erivo In Schiaparelli Haute Couture – 2020 SAG Awards

1. Guest January 21, 2020 at 4:02 pm #

She is large-than-life, and I love it!

2. Guest January 20, 2020 at 8:50 pm #

Looking good!

3. Mady1908 January 20, 2020 at 3:52 pm #

too much fabric and there is something missing, something that goes wrong but I don’t know what… Definitely the fit, that’s for sure!

4. Vizual Ninja January 20, 2020 at 1:30 pm #

Holy Cow at her being 5’1! Kudos to her and her team, I’ve never been able to criticize any of her looks because of her height, that’s a testament I suppose to good tailoring her and her carriage. I’m never usually fond of these huge crumpled gowns but I do like the colour combo and she’s working it well for the most part.

5. nooyoo January 20, 2020 at 12:01 pm #

I am struggling to find anything I like with this look

6. Catarina_M January 20, 2020 at 10:12 am #

The necklace was unnecessary. This is not one of Cynthia’s personal best.

7. MissHebble January 20, 2020 at 8:57 am #

I can’t believe she is only 5 1 – the way she carries herself on the red carpet you would think she was supermodel height. This dress isn’t my favourite from Cynthia but I love waiting to see what she will wear next. She always keeps me interested!

8. Los_NGLS January 20, 2020 at 5:40 am #

The little engine that could !!! ??

I love how much fun she and Jason Bolden have together, and I think that Schiaparelli suits her style personality perfectly!

(Also Catherine, not sure what the event was but she wore a gorgeous Brock Collection floral gown to something on Saturday night, hope you get around to covering it ?)

9. Guest January 20, 2020 at 5:33 am #

Cynthia could definitely rock a dress like this but the fit in the bodice of this one is not working for her. Maybe the dress needed to be pull up a little bit more. Also, a little bit more care in the presentation of the skirt. Despite that, even when I do not like her choices, I hope Cynthia never dulls down her style.

10. Guest January 20, 2020 at 4:26 am #

I like the bold color combo, but this comes across as messy and blankety.

11. KseniaBradner January 20, 2020 at 4:25 am #

I think Cynthia can pull off many runway Schiaparelli Couture looks, so I’m a bit bummed this Taylor Swift Grammys 2016 look is what they came up with. Also, I wish she’d move her hands away. This is a more conservative event, so this works, but I wish she’d have chosen a better Schiaparelli Couture look, because Cynthia is Schiaparelli Couture’s dream gal.

• Isabela January 20, 2020 at 5:26 am #

I thought that the dress looked familiar, i was probably reminded of Taylor too.

12. Phee phee January 20, 2020 at 4:21 am #

Its a tacky look. the colors together are unappealing. the fit in the bust area is not well done.
    the skirt looks quite messy. Im surprised this is Schiaparelli.
    not her best. not even close.