Menu

Lady Gaga In Alexander McQueen – ‘A Star Is Born’ London Premiere

Lady Gaga In Alexander McQueen - 'A Star Is Born' London Premiere

Lady Gaga made a dramatic entrance onto the red carpet for the London premiere of ‘A Star Is Born’ on Thursday (September 27), as only she can.

The singer-actress has had many iconic moments – the 2010 VMAs meat dress and Armani Prive 2010 Grammys looks always spring to my mind – and my goosebumps inform me that this is yet another one.

I know many of you have been waiting for a true Gaga moment, and she fully delivered in this Victorian-inspired Alexander McQueen Fall 2013 look; accented with pearls and feathers, dripping in gold, and affixed with a tall collar that was truly fit for a queen.

I’ll be very surprised if you feel this is too costumey, because this is the exact brand of eccentric fashion and glamour we rely upon when it comes to Lady Gaga.

If you are feeling a very mild sense of deja vu, that might be because of Lady Gaga’s Alexander McQueen look worn to the 2011 Bambi Awards.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Claudia Schiffer's Dolce & Gabanna Cold-Shoulder Lace-Up Dress

Claudia Schiffer’s Dolce & Gabanna Cold-Shoulder Lace-Up Dress

Sarah Jessica Parker In Giles Deacon Couture - 2018 New York City Ballet Fall Fashion Gala

Sarah Jessica Parker In Giles Deacon Couture – 2018 New York City Ballet Fall Fashion Gala

24 Responses to Lady Gaga In Alexander McQueen – ‘A Star Is Born’ London Premiere

1. Caroline September 29, 2018 at 3:01 am #

So silly and try-hard.

2. Phee September 28, 2018 at 11:53 pm #

That is soooo super silly. costumey and ill-fitting. terrible. Its so dumb.

• Phee September 29, 2018 at 12:14 am #

what a try-hard.

• Lena September 29, 2018 at 6:31 pm #

I spot a hater ladies and gents lolz

3. Real Nat39 September 28, 2018 at 8:42 pm #

OMG, my jaw is on the floor, this is epic!! (only a bit too tight at the bust). With the row of looks she’s been demonstrating, looks like Lady Gaga will be the promo tour star among ladies.

4. Regina September 28, 2018 at 8:11 pm #

Fantastic! More Tudor than Victorian though.

5. TinaL September 28, 2018 at 7:47 pm #

Nope, don’t like it. Feel like the dress is wearing her, rather than the other way around. It’s not as mesmerizing as her Valentino look from Venice Film Festival.

6. JHH September 28, 2018 at 7:18 pm #

It is costumey but making costumey work is what Gaga does better than anyone else. I like the idea of this dress for the London premiere. I just wish that the fit was better across the bust (looks uncomfortably tight but beauty is pain, I guess) and that they had adjusted/altered the ruffle and the bodice a bit to make up for the fact that Gaga’s proportions are shorter than the idealized model that this dress was designed for.

7. brat September 28, 2018 at 7:13 pm #

All Hail good Queen Bess lol

8. Mimmi September 28, 2018 at 5:42 pm #

This brought a tear to my eye. Classis Gaga at her best.

9. Hailey September 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm #

Yes, this is perfection!! I love that she wore the regal look for the London premiere. Gorgeous dress and only Gaga could make me fall completely in love with it.

10. Jack September 28, 2018 at 3:29 pm #

Another iconic look from Ms Lady

11. meme September 28, 2018 at 3:21 pm #

This is so totally McQueen and I love it except for painful looking bodice and the collar looks stifling. Would love to have seen this on Cate Blanchett. The skirt is amazing.

12. HL September 28, 2018 at 2:40 pm #

This piece requires someone taller and slender, and it’s all because of the ruffle thing around the neck. This would have worked on Gaga if she had removed it.

13. SilentVisitor September 28, 2018 at 2:29 pm #

Beautiful dress but I would have loved to see someone like Cate Blanchett or Jennifer Connelly wearing it

I am not buying this on her; looking at her posts here, I only remember the big and grand dresses and now I feel like she only picks the biggest dress out there ………

Next up is great; glad she toned down the makeup

14. Miss H September 28, 2018 at 2:26 pm #

The dress is a little costume-y, but for Gaga it works. I love her hair and beauty look – she looks really beautiful!

15. J. September 28, 2018 at 12:59 pm #

Her beauty look is perfect, she looks phenomenal; and while I wholeheartedly agree on the work of art the dress itself is, I kinda feel like she’s hiding behind it. I see that that is precisely her fashion motto but after seeing her in the Azzedine Alaia dress she wore to the Venice Photocall I’ve come to realize (really, for the first time) that she is a really beautiful woman, feminine, serene..words I never thought I would say regarding her.

While this is magical, she would also be so without THAT much pyrotechnics. I hope she will tone down a little bit during awards season (sometimes at least) This is not a look a newcomer actress should be wearing in front of legends like Glenn Close, Meryl Streep and so on.

• Lena September 28, 2018 at 1:15 pm #

Hoooney if anything Gaga doesn’t follow no rules, lol she’s going to wear whatever she wants to wear in front of Meryl, glen or anybody, she’s GAGA! I’m sure she will serve different looks tho, I think you will enjoy her Ellen show look, it was very feminine and soft!

• TeaAtTwo September 28, 2018 at 1:45 pm #

‘Should not be wearing in front of’ is so olddated and deferential ideology. Viewing figures of awards ceremonies are dropping, the fashion is just main draw, go hard or home. People want strong, dramatic and glamourous statements.

16. Carocv September 28, 2018 at 12:35 pm #

This is giving me life! So glad to see McQueen and Gaga in all their splendor. And as CreoleLady mentioned, the inspiration is more Elisabethan than Victorian.

17. TeaAtTwo September 28, 2018 at 12:34 pm #

Full classic Gaga mode, it’s so her and what the fans adore.

18. Lena September 28, 2018 at 12:25 pm #

Queeeen slays, y’all should be grateful she’s delivering unlike the other boring actresses out there! The award season is going to be EPIC! thank you mother monster!

19. Fee September 28, 2018 at 11:53 am #

It’s totally costume-y but Gaga totally commits and pulls it off anyway, I love a fashion moment and this delivers.

20. CreoleLady September 28, 2018 at 11:43 am #

Whoa, she went straight-up Elizabeth R — with cold shoulders to bring it forward a few centuries, lol. It works for me. A bit painful looking through the bodice, though.