Menu

July 3, 2014

Harpers-bazaar-august-downton-abbey-subs-cover_500_675_90

There are two covers for the August 2014 edition of Harper’s Bazaar UK: one featuring Laura Carmichael, Michelle Dockery and Lily James, and one of just Michelle on her own.

All the ladies are wearing looks from Valentino’s Pre-Fall 2014 collection, with Michelle’s the most familiar as we’ve already seen this beauty on Cate Blanchett.

With ‘Downton Abbey’ returning for Season 6 in the fall on ITV, Harper’s Bazaar caught up with the ladies.

Michelle Dockery on how she’s ‘grown with the role’: ‘Lady Mary always seemed sure of herself, but “it was a brashness that came from insecurity, whereas now it’s different, she’s very confident in her own skin, and I guess [that’s] the parallel, really, with my own life; I feel like I’ve reached a point now where I’m much more content and confident”.’

Laura Carmichael on when a French journalist who asked her why the show is such a hit; what’s the secret to its triumph: ‘Instead of answering, I turned the tables and asked him what he thought. “Because it is full of women”, he said, and I was like, “God, you’re so right!”‘

Lily James on the daily education on acting and being an actor on set: ‘I’m learning a lot about how to be one of the “good” actors. You’d hope that it’s natural to be a good person, and kind, but I’m learning how to deal with long, sometimes boring days.’

To see the full photo shoot, which includes the rest of the female cast, in the August issue of Harper’s Bazaar, pick up a copy when the mag hits newsstands tomorrow, 4 July.

Credit: Harper’s Bazaar UK

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The Serpentine Gallery Summer Party?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The Serpentine Gallery Summer Party?

Anna Friel In Peter Pilotto - Peter Pilotto Dinner Hosted by M.A.C.

Anna Friel In Peter Pilotto – Peter Pilotto Dinner Hosted by M.A.C.

12 Responses to Laura Carmichael, Michelle Dockery and Lily James for Harper’s Bazaar UK August 2014

1. Guest May 22, 2019 at 7:45 am #

I kinda agree.

2. Guest May 22, 2019 at 7:45 am #

Michelle’s look of course is the favorite

3. Guest May 22, 2019 at 7:45 am #

+1 beautiful gowns but in desperate need of supportive undergarments.

They all look gorgeous, but disconnected. Michelle looks a bit awkward sandwiched in the middle and Lily just looks sullen.

4. Guest May 22, 2019 at 7:45 am #

Love the period-esque dresses chosen for the cover, but don’t like the positioning of Michelle’s right arm, nor her too causal posture in the pic.

And is it me, or do they all seem to need better undergarments? Their chests all look a little droopy.

5. Guest May 22, 2019 at 7:45 am #

“Because it is full of women”, he said, and I was like, “God, you’re so right!” Dumb answer Laura. There is more to the show than just women.

I wonder how much this was photoshopped.

6. Guest May 22, 2019 at 7:45 am #

Love the direction- the setting, the dresses, styling and make up- but poor choice for a cover. Laura’s expression is off next to the other two but the biggest ‘off’ here is Michelle’s body language.. she looks slouchy and uncomfortable. Her hands are awkward.

7. sophie July 3, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

I wonder how much this was photoshopped.

8. julyol1972 July 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

• Peony July 3, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

+1 beautiful gowns but in desperate need of supportive undergarments.

9. Christine July 3, 2014 at 10:46 am #