Maggie Gyllenhaal In Valentino – 2014 Met Gala

Maggie Gyllenhaal In Valentino - 2014 Met Gala2Maggie Gyllenhaal was among the constellation of stars at the 2014 Met Gala, hosted on Monday (May 5) at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

The actress, who seemed to be flaunting an even more platinum-blonde pixie cut, connected the dots in a Valentino Fall 2014 jewel-toned number, which she wore two ways: with the matching cape and without.

Perhaps it’s circle overload, but I still crave the drama that the cape delivers to the more monastic silhouette of the long-sleeve dress.

In fact, I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen quite so many circles, but the Italian Pop Art-inspired design certainly brought its own measure of artsy punch to the Met steps.

You may recall Hailee Steinfeld wore a shorter version of a similarly circle-dotted dress. So what do you think of the semi-repeat occurrence at the Met Ball?

VAL_0078.450x675

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Maggie Gyllenhaal In Maison Martin Margiela - 'Very Good Girls' New York Premiere

Maggie Gyllenhaal In Maison Martin Margiela – ‘Very Good Girls’ New York Premiere

Allison Williams In Oscar de la Renta - 2014 Met Gala

Allison Williams In Oscar de la Renta – 2014 Met Gala

39 Responses to Maggie Gyllenhaal In Valentino – 2014 Met Gala

1. lamodesedemodelestylejamais May 6, 2014 at 05:11 #

I understand edgy, off-the-wall and applaud risk taking, but here it looks simply odd. So wall-paperish.

2. Kate May 6, 2014 at 05:12 #

The longer I look at this, the more it grows on me. I think it’s quirky & different and looks great on Maggie. It’s not my favorite of the night, but it’s definitely memorable.

• cherrysoftness May 6, 2014 at 06:19 #

Me, too. I think I’ve seen so many terrible choices tonight that this one kind of, already works. There’s drama and there’s bizarre, and this one managed to crossover to the dramatic side for me.

• kane May 6, 2014 at 08:46 #

I had the same reaction.

• Leti May 6, 2014 at 12:55 #

Me too. The only thing I would change is to remove the collar. It makes the dress look too mod/60′s for me.

• Sophy May 6, 2014 at 13:03 #

I feel the same- hated it at first now I am coming around- I will say though why does she never wear anything to support her breast????

• barbara buchanan May 11, 2014 at 14:44 #

Without a doubt my favorite. Her choice was earthy, understated, elegant & such a welcome departure from all the standard Cinderella/Kardashian fantasy ballgown pretensions. Very European. Gyllenhaal is always one to watch. Bravo, Valentino!

3. Alina May 6, 2014 at 05:13 #

I like the cut of the dress and cape, but I really do not like the print.

4. Courtney Klein May 6, 2014 at 05:16 #

I like it. It’s fashion.

• adrian May 6, 2014 at 14:30 #

5. Amanda May 6, 2014 at 05:18 #

I thought this dress was awful until I saw the cape and then I thought it was hideous. It looks like she is wearing the mat from the game of twister. Muted orange, brown and moss green just don’t seem like the right colour choices for spring or the Met Gala.

• sanette May 6, 2014 at 06:13 #

This is just terrible. And the hair really does nothing for her.

• Lashae May 6, 2014 at 06:14 #

• Denis May 6, 2014 at 09:46 #

+3. Tired of those short hair. Please move on …!

• Ally May 6, 2014 at 15:28 #

+4…
          60′s wallpaper all the way.

• Camille May 7, 2014 at 17:18 #

Yes Yes Yes, this look is a total fail from head to toe.

6. Dhppy May 6, 2014 at 05:25 #

Well, she’s not boring. I’ll give her that.

7. arang May 6, 2014 at 05:36 #

The colors and cut look great on her, and I like the quirk of the circles (though the cape is a bridge too far for me). My only beef with it is that it doesn’t seem quite dressy enough for this occasion.

8. friend of cats May 6, 2014 at 05:40 #

I think it’s to many circles but it is growing on me and I am glad she had the guts to do something different..also love the blonde hair on her.

9. Ana May 6, 2014 at 06:09 #

The color and circles look a lot like patterns on shower curtains. It’s very weird.

10. Rachel May 6, 2014 at 06:45 #

I love it. Especially with the cape on, and with her brother Jake in the white jacket with the beard and man-tail.

Brooklyn bohemia @ the MET. She’s bringing her unique swagger. I think the peroxide of her pixie is just right in this presentation.

• barbara buchanan May 11, 2014 at 14:42 #

Her choice is earthy, understated, elegant & such a welcome departure from all the standard Cinderella / Kardashian fantasy ballgown pretensions. Very European. Gyllenhaal is always one to watch – bravo, Valentino!

11. Valissa May 6, 2014 at 07:49 #

I much prefer this without the cape. It was simply not needed for a dress that already stands out on it’s own.
    Without the cape, I quite like this. It’s daring and fun and I think Maggie pulls it off.

• Jones19 May 6, 2014 at 10:25 #

Completely agree. With the cape I’m getting nauseated just looking at the photo. I quite like the dress on its own.

• barbara buchanan May 11, 2014 at 14:41 #

Her choice was gorgeous, earthy, understated, elegant & such a welcome departure from all the standard Cinderella/Kardashian fantasy ballgown pretensions. Very European. Gyllenhaal is always one to watch – bravo, Valentino!

12. Noemi May 6, 2014 at 09:13 #

The fabric looks like a cheap wallpaper from the seventies.

13. Yeliz May 6, 2014 at 10:58 #

Don’t like the print and I think the gown would’ve looked better sleeveless and without the collar.

14. Christine May 6, 2014 at 11:17 #

Not liking this as much

15. kevinappears May 6, 2014 at 11:56 #

I have to say, she looks like a clown just escaped from the circus!

16. Heather May 6, 2014 at 15:09 #

I usually hate her style and also wish she’d discover the benefits of undergarments, but I love this! It’s the MET BALL, risk taking and fashion are the rule and this would look bizarre on any other red carpet but it’s fantastic here! Her confidence is the best accessory and stands up to the crazy that is the full outfit of dress and cape.

• barbara buchanan May 11, 2014 at 14:40 #

Nothing ‘crazy’ about it – I think her choice was gorgeous, earthy, understated, elegant & such a welcome departure from all the standard Cinderella/Kardashian fantasy ballgown pretensions. Very European. Gyllenhaal is always one to watch – bravo, Valentino!

17. EmmaWoodhouse May 6, 2014 at 15:24 #

It’s crazy, kind of interesting…not working for me but at least it’s not Prada ;)

18. Nat39 May 6, 2014 at 18:56 #

Sad and dowdy – the silly circles, the drab colours and silhouette – one of the worst of the night.

19. mamaria May 6, 2014 at 19:16 #

I think it’s amazing!

• barbara buchanan May 11, 2014 at 14:37 #

Me too – gorgeous, earthy, understated, elegant & such a welcome departure from all the standard Cinderella/Kardashian fantasy ballgown pretensions. Very European. Gyllenhaal is always one to watch – bravo, Valentino!

20. k6wing May 6, 2014 at 20:28 #

Why did she wear a raincoat to the Met Gala?

21. Parvati May 6, 2014 at 22:39 #

I prefer the look with the cape, but still, I’m not carzy about it. Neither am I crazy about the blonde hair.

22. Raquel May 6, 2014 at 23:54 #

I adore it, and I have to give it to Maggie: she has a style and she sticks to it. I’m not sure though, if it is Met Ball appropriated.

23. barbara buchanan May 11, 2014 at 14:35 #

The fabric, colors & cut are stunning – such an elegant earthy departure from all the other standard self-conscious, forced, Cinderella/Kardashian fantasy ballgown pretensions – SO Manhattan 1% 80s vulgarity. Gyllenhaal carries this genre of low-key European aplomb perfectly with her chic hair style & lack of adornment, which most Americans don’t seem to understand. She’s always one to watch, & she hit it out of the ballpark with this choice – a real head-turner. Bravo, Valentino!