Jennifer Lawrence In Christian Dior Couture – 2014 Golden Globe Awards

Jennifer Lawrence in Christian Dior Couture - 2014 Golden Globe Awards

In what may not come as a big surprise to many, Jennifer Lawrence worked another Christian Dior design at the 2014 Golden Globe Awards, hosted at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California on Sunday night (January 12).

On this occasion, the ‘American Hustle’ supporting actress nominee pulled no punches, even playfully joking on the red carpet that her decision to wear Dior was such a ‘shocker.’

Although we’ve come to expect Dior from Jennifer, it’s always still a guessing game as to exactly what kind of designer moment she’ll have. This time, her strapless white gown was from the Fall 2013 Couture collection, although it registered as a familiar silhouette to what we’ve seen before.

The gathered, full-skirted dress, which may have skewed slightly bridal upon closer inspection, was punctuated by two black ribbon bands to cinch in the waist and hip.

While she skipped the runway’s theatrical, elbow-length gloves, she did further pull the shade of black into the look with a clutch and gemstone bracelets.

A jade-tinged pair of pendant earrings provided a burst of brighter colour to the ensemble, which she finished off with a deep oxblood lip and kohl-rimmed eyes.

This mainly monochromatic entrance was really about a play between the contrast of white and black, light and dark. Did it work for you?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

65 Comments
Emilia Clarke In Proenza Schouler - 2014 Golden Globe Awards

Emilia Clarke In Proenza Schouler – 2014 Golden Globe Awards

Amy Poehler In Stella McCartney – 2014 Golden Globe Awards

Amy Poehler In Stella McCartney – 2014 Golden Globe Awards

65 Responses to Jennifer Lawrence In Christian Dior Couture – 2014 Golden Globe Awards

1. jessicamarantelli January 13, 2014 at 01:43 #

Another Dior as expected and she looks great. Not sure about the Dior silhouette at the moment but I like it for some reason.
    The best thing are the jewels and styling….she’s really growing into the hair and the makeup is perfect.
    ….Plus she won Best Sup. so I think its a good night for her.

2. Christine January 13, 2014 at 01:44 #

Jennifer honey please end this Dior contract. It’s doing you no favors. On occasions you hit it out of the ballpark but this is not a good dress. You can do and did much better. Seriously, you’re talented and gorgeous. You style choices lately is not holding up.

Sincerely,

Christine

• David January 13, 2014 at 01:46 #

+5000

• Nat January 13, 2014 at 01:47 #

I agree with you but I actually never liked any Dior looks she wore. Boring and ugly dress. It is like her Oscar dress with tacky black tapes and different fabric.

• noo January 13, 2014 at 07:34 #

yes, and i am in the minority who HATED that oscars dress so i feel like this is a very bad dress!

• molly January 13, 2014 at 02:02 #

I’ve never heard of a fashion contract that required a person to exclusively wear their designs to every single red carpet. Dior either has this girl on a tight leash or her stylish is a kiss ass. This certainly isnt the worst shes worn, but its not the best at all.
      I was really hoping Jen would wear that stunning emerald green gown from this same collection.

• Maggie January 14, 2014 at 16:40 #

Yeah I think Rachel Zoe is a kiss ass!!

• Kelly January 19, 2014 at 13:15 #

A contract that ensures you millions of dollers only if you wear their expensive gowns ? I’d wear a paper bag to every award show for that kind of money

• Susan N. January 13, 2014 at 04:57 #

• Ariadne January 13, 2014 at 12:58 #

+10000

3. AG January 13, 2014 at 01:44 #

It’s quite different and dramatic, yet I like it! I think Jennifer is doing a good job of making it all work.

4. Sleepless in Chicago January 13, 2014 at 01:44 #

Poor Jennifer. She deserves better. When does this torture of a contract with Dior will end? She is so vibrant and young that she would look better wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. She looks amazing from the neck up. The dress is a complete and hopeless disaster.

5. Malinda Jane January 13, 2014 at 01:44 #

She looks beautiful from the neck up, but that dress is just awful. It looks so cheap, like someone sewed some black ribbon around bed sheets.
    Not good.

6. Moxie January 13, 2014 at 01:46 #

She looks great from the neck up, but that dress is horrible.

7. Yeliz January 13, 2014 at 01:46 #

Nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing beautiful. This is such a boring and awful gown.

8. Prian January 13, 2014 at 01:47 #

forgive me, but it just looks like she’s wrapped in toilet paper and throw rubber bands to put it together

• Serenity January 13, 2014 at 01:55 #

I hate to say it, but I got the same vibe. she’s beautiful from the neck up, though.

• Mandy January 13, 2014 at 03:22 #

• snowlion January 13, 2014 at 04:22 #

Just what I was thinking…loo paper.

For me, it’s just more Dior to dislike.

• Lashae January 13, 2014 at 04:55 #

ia

• towanda January 13, 2014 at 06:11 #

lol to colton hayes . he’is wrapped comforter LOL http://instagram.com/p/jF8c2VDTLg/

• Serenity January 13, 2014 at 13:48 #

OMG!!!!!!!! So hilarious. “Couture” that you can construct in your bedroom in 5 minutes. For shame, Raf, for shame.

• gabis January 13, 2014 at 14:01 #

Exactly. LOL. No wonder lotta people made fun of it on the internet.

• Hannah January 13, 2014 at 16:36 #

Unfortunately, yes

9. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) January 13, 2014 at 01:49 #

Truly. Awful. Not loving the deep fuscia lip and the emerald ears either. Disappointing to say the least. Side note, she was terrific in AH but IMO, not deserving of an award over any of these nominees.

10. Nat39 January 13, 2014 at 01:52 #

The black ribbon bands are plain ridiculous, looks like an amateurish attempt to create some shape and make something out of plain and predictable white gown. Thumbs down from me.

• sara January 13, 2014 at 18:19 #

agreed, poor attempt to make it unique. result is hideous. This gorgeous girl deserves so much better. She gave an amazing performance in American Hustle and should look stunning this awards season but sadly I don’t imagine this improving.

11. Sophy January 13, 2014 at 01:53 #

I think this would have look much better with a huge necklace – coloured stones maybe rubies?

12. Marybeth January 13, 2014 at 02:01 #

The only thing that would improve this dress is a bonfire. ;)

• Serenity January 13, 2014 at 13:49 #

Lol!

13. CD January 13, 2014 at 02:05 #

I think the vampy styling is weighing the look down moreso then the dress/designer

14. Cinders January 13, 2014 at 02:11 #

I agree with everyone about this boring dress and cannot wait for this collab to end. It’s hard to believe this is couture. I miss Galliano.

• snowlion January 13, 2014 at 04:23 #

I miss him too.

• EmilyBowen January 13, 2014 at 10:53 #

Whilst Galliano’s personal issues meant he obviously had to go, and rightfully so, they should have followed him up with someone who at least shared some aesthetics similarities. This change of pace at Dior has ruined a house which, in my opinion, was head and shoulders above all others when it came to Couture. Raf Simons is a very intelligent designer, but his Dior got boring for me very quickly. This dress is verging on ugly, and no amount of IT-girl charm is winning me over. Such a shame.

• M. January 13, 2014 at 12:31 #

I totally agree. I’m sorry but people who say that he has been doing a great job apparently just have not seen any of his creations. Every single time someone wears Dior, they look awful no matter how pretty they are. I still can’t get over how terrible Marion Cotillard looked in Marrakech. This gown should never have been made, let alone by a house like Dior. Also it should never have been worn. Afwul.

• Serenity January 13, 2014 at 13:50 #

Literally heart breaking.

15. Lizet January 13, 2014 at 02:14 #

i hate the dress, i don’t know how can be haute couture if look like a white sheet bed, but i like the make up and the accessories

16. kathryn January 13, 2014 at 02:18 #

This is a terrible look! One this is lazy work by her stylist as it looks exactly the dress she wore to the Oscars. Two it makes her look wider. Seriously, J Law stop trying to make Dior happen!

17. Cindy January 13, 2014 at 02:28 #

This reminds me of a giant diaper. She’s beautiful though.

18. Prudence January 13, 2014 at 03:28 #

another red carpet award, another terrible dior get up for JLaw. When will this torturous contract end??

19. chicshrieks January 13, 2014 at 03:34 #

I agree with all the negative comments. Sorry, but I just cannot get on board with this look. The bands on this dress are hideous and bunch up the dress in the most unflattering way possible. Don’t even know why her stylist chose this.

20. Princess Chi Chi January 13, 2014 at 03:38 #

Could have liked this if lippie was lighter and if she wore the gloves. Hate the jewellery and the look is really missing those gloves. Surprisingly don’t hate the gown, suits Jen

21. Maxine January 13, 2014 at 03:44 #

Her face looks very pretty. I don’t care for the dress or the green earrings.

22. Rebecca Z January 13, 2014 at 04:49 #

No. She can be so pretty, why do this to her.

23. Alina January 13, 2014 at 05:01 #

No… the dress is just ugly.

24. Renata January 13, 2014 at 05:46 #

She honestly needs to stop. I DON’T get her style at all. The dress looks a mess on her but on the runway it looks freaking terrible. Why would she look at that and wanna wear it? I just don’t get it.

• Serenity January 13, 2014 at 13:52 #

“I don’t get her style at all” I think it’s because it’s not HER style.

25. Amy January 13, 2014 at 06:19 #

Although not her best look, I think she pulls it off.

The silhouette is not that bad…if only the dress is a different colour.

Jennifer always look beautiful and the way she holds herself (in front of the camera and throughout the night) in that dress makes it a more tolerable look.

But I would like to see her try something different. Fingers crossed for the Oscars!

26. Aline January 13, 2014 at 06:51 #

What an ugly dress, Jesus Christ!

I know she’s got a contract and that she pretty much wears what her stylist tells her to, but I just find it hard to believe that she looked at herself in the mirror and thought this was a flattering look. It’s not because she HAS to wear Dior that she HAD to wear this specific gown. I mean, look at Emma Watson, her stylist managed to get something youthful for her. Sure, it was understated ’cause she was a presenter, and Jen was a nominee but certainly anything else would’ve been better than this.

27. kevinappears January 13, 2014 at 07:30 #

At least I laughed when I saw those quick imitations online. A quilt and two straps, how easy lol! I think Jennifer knew how terrible the “couture” is but she just wanted to bring people fun and laughter.

28. Noemi January 13, 2014 at 08:37 #

It’s similar to the one she wore at the Oscars last year, in a certain way. Without praise or blame. I don’t like the makeup.

29. Natalie January 13, 2014 at 10:42 #

terrible. there’s already a meme going around because it looks like a bedsheet with two belts.

30. Jess2 January 13, 2014 at 12:06 #

Good hair and makeup and very lovely earrings but I just can’t with this dress. This doesn’t look like fashion, just a last minute mess. I will say however that I like the dress more on Jennifer than on the runway.
    I pray for some better looks over the coming season.

31. Syl January 13, 2014 at 13:05 #

Such a bad look. The dress itself is atrocious and it doesn’t flatter her body…
    When does the contract end ? Lol

32. Mare January 13, 2014 at 15:04 #

This dress looks so cheap…I can’t believe it’s Dior. But she is a beautiful girl.

33. kane January 13, 2014 at 17:27 #

Free Jennifer.

I’m off printing the tops.

• ayuni January 14, 2014 at 15:50 #

Lol! I agree. Free Jennifer!

34. john January 14, 2014 at 04:14 #

Jennifer,

Please dump Rachel Zoe cause she is messing your style up hard core. What happened to your old stylist who dressed you in that amazing gold Prabal and red Calvin..those were the days!!

• Cinders January 14, 2014 at 04:38 #

Oh that gold Prabal…..sigh. Those were the days!

• noo January 14, 2014 at 06:09 #

if she only wears calvin klein from now on she will look a thousand times better than this!

35. Dhppy January 14, 2014 at 05:18 #

Perhaps all the imitations people have made of this dress with their comforters and black electrical tape on twitter will get Dior to rethink their choice of Raf Simons?

36. Ioana January 14, 2014 at 13:08 #

I really hate this dress. It’s so bland and the shape is not doing any favors to Jennifer. She’s an amazing actress and has a GREAT personality and sense of humour, she lights up the place when she gets in… and Dior only turns her 50+ years old with these dresses.

Jennifer, just look at how amazing your first appearance at the Golden Globes was: http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2011/01/16/jennifer-lawrence-in-louis-vuitton-%e2%80%93-2011-golden-globe-awards/

not to mention other beautiful outfits: http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2011/02/27/jennifer-lawrence-in-calvin-klein-2011-oscars/

37. Catherine January 15, 2014 at 02:04 #

At first, I didn’t understand the Christian Dior/Jennifer Lawrence partnership. After the Oscars, I reconsidered, as I absolutely loved her gown and felt it was her best look during awards season. However, after this, I have returned to my original opinion.
    Jennifer seems like a lovely girl and clearly she is very talented, but she has yet to come into her own on the red carpet. A few successful red carpet looks does not a style icon make, in my opinion, and her Dior looks continue to deliver more misses than hits. I love Dior, as it has always represented Parisian elegance and femininity, and I love Raf Simons’ fresh, modern approach. However, I don’t believe Jennifer is their best ambassador. I would love to see her collaborate with a more modern, American house such as Calvin Klein, which I feel would suit her better. Jennifer should leave Dior to more mature, sophisticated women such as Marion Cotillard, Cate Blanchett, and Diane Kruger, and find red carpet looks that are more youthful and appropriate for her age.

38. January January 15, 2014 at 14:34 #

Jennifer deserves better styling for someone who has become such an it-girl in Hollywood. Some of her Dior looks have proved successful but her stylist continues to pick pieces that are repetitive and predictable. In Simons’ latest collection I spotted some pieces that would look absolutely beautiful on her and this was certainly not one of them. She needs to find bold color and youthful silhouettes (though I do admit this silhouette could be worse) to truly represent the icon she has become.
    Jennifer is a gorgeous girl and deserves to look good, especially now as an Oscar favorite. Rachel Zoe, up your game please. It’s doing your rep no favors.

39. anonymous as always January 15, 2014 at 22:16 #

Meh. Her beautiful face and body goes wasted with her style choices.