30.04.13

Queen Beatrix Of The Netherlands Abdication State Dinner

Queen Beatrix Of The Netherlands Abdication State Dinner

Many more royals took to the red carpet at Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum for the dinner thrown by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands to celebrate her abdication and her son’s investiture yesterday evening.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark: As always, my heart did flutter when I saw Mary on the red carpet.
Looking nothing short of spectacular and every inch a modern princess, she wore a Birgit Hallstein gown, a designer she has worn a few times before. Her off-the-shoulder blush gown with an embellished bodice was accented with a satin waistband, with a Bottega Veneta clutch, Prada pumps and her wedding tiara completing her look.

Princess Mette-Marit of Norway: While this gorgeous floral confection didn’t take to the runway, the pretty print is distinctive of the Giambattista Valli Spring 2013 collection. I really love the simplicity of this look, as much as the more showy gowns at this event. Even her tiara was slightly modest compared to the others.

Queen Beatrix Of The Netherlands Abdication State Dinner2

Crown Princess Stephanie of Luxembourg: Wearing an unmistakeable Elie Saab gown, Stephanie – whose wedding dress was designed by Mr Saab – blew me away wearing a fully embellished light-blue gown from the designer’s Pre-Fall 2012 collection with a chiffon scarf which, colour-wise, matched her gown.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall: Camilla is not known for her fashion sense like the other royals, so I was delighted to see her looking beautiful on this occasion. She dazzled in a Bruce Oldfield monochrome gown topped off with a beautiful tiara – loaned by the Queen – which covered her voluminous ‘do.

Queen Beatrix Of The Netherlands Abdication State Dinner3

Princess Victoria of Sweden: As a huge fan of Elie Saab’s designs, most notably wearing several of his gowns during her wedding weekend, I was not surprised to see Victoria don the Lebanese designer again. Her purple gown may not have as much bling as the other attendees’, but she has a dazzling tiara, clutch and shoes for that.

Princess Letizia of Spain: I kind of expected a bit more from Letizia. Of all the princesses at this event, her black embroidered lace gown is my least favourite.

Queen Beatrix Of The Netherlands Hosts A Dinner Ahead Of Her Abdication

Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau: Adding a touch of sass to the evening, Mabel donned a fully fringed Viktor & Rolf custom gown. The princess has been working with the design duo since they designed her wedding dress. She styled her look with a smaller version of the Mellerio Sapphire Tiara, which was her wedding tiara.

Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands: While her sea-blue gown might seem more demure in comparison, for me it is more fitting to the occasion. I love the silver accessories and the colour, which brings out her eyes.

Credit: Getty

Mandy Moore's Proenza Schouler PS1 Medium Leather Satchel And A.L.C Striped Cotton Jersey T-Shirt

Mandy Moore’s Proenza Schouler PS1 Medium Leather Satchel And A.L.C Striped Cotton Jersey T-Shirt

Kate Bosworth In Oscar de La Renta - ‘Big Sur’ San Francisco Film Festival Premiere

Kate Bosworth In Oscar de La Renta – ‘Big Sur’ San Francisco Film Festival Premiere

30 Responses to Queen Beatrix Of The Netherlands Abdication State Dinner

1. Yeliz April 30, 2013 at 14:28 #

Princess Mary is by far my favourite of the bunch. She looks so enchanting, elegant, regal and BDOTW worthy. My runner-up is Princess Letizia.

• dee April 30, 2013 at 16:52 #

My favorites too.

2. Paulyne April 30, 2013 at 14:33 #

Princess Mary, Princess Victoria and Princess Stéphanie are my favorite.

Princess Letizia is so skinny :o

3. Ramsay April 30, 2013 at 14:37 #

Princess Mary’s dress looks like a replica of Elie Saab’s recent creations

• Ramsay April 30, 2013 at 14:40 #

Princess Victoria’s dress is the same Marisa Tomei wore at the SAG awards a few years ago in yellow

• molly April 30, 2013 at 21:59 #

Crown Princess Victoria also wore the gown to the Nobel Prize gala in 2009. I think I preferred it more there, her hair and tiara were much better.

4. Grace Patricia April 30, 2013 at 14:48 #

Nice to see them looking so modern!

5. moja31 April 30, 2013 at 14:59 #

Mette Marit’s Tiara is actually quite gorgeous, and not that small, it’s just unfortunately positioned on her head. Her dress was unusual, and not what you’d call princessy (she typically wears lots of ruffles), but I loved it. Victoria’s dress looked better the last time she wore it, but her Tiara is my favorite of the night (apart from the insanely gorgeous rocks Maxima was sporting).
    Loved Laurentien as well, she normally has a pretty nutty sense of style, so this was a pleasant surprise.

6. Samantha April 30, 2013 at 15:13 #

Princess Letizia is my favourite, simply and elegante. The worsts the Netherlands Princess and Mette Marit.

7. Moxie April 30, 2013 at 15:15 #

Princess Mary looks the best, I think. Followed by Princess Victoria and Princess Stephanie. Princess Letizia, Princess Mabel and Princess Laurentien look good.

I don’t like Princess Mette-Marit’s gown. And Camilla’s cuts her chest in an awkward place.

8. Christine April 30, 2013 at 15:22 #

Princess Mary of Denmark And Princess Stephanie are my favorites.

9. kane April 30, 2013 at 15:22 #

Mary looks stunning! The lace makes Letizia look even more fragile and I cannot quite make myself like Mette-Marit’s dress… she looks so much older than Mary while being almost two years younger.

10. AG April 30, 2013 at 15:49 #

Mary looks absolutely perfect! She took my breath away, simply divine.

11. Marybeth April 30, 2013 at 16:04 #

Altogether a nicely dressed group.
    Princess Mary is the standout. Gorgeous!
    BDOTW contender for sure.

(I agree that Camilla looks great. Good for her!)

12. Rebecca Z April 30, 2013 at 16:21 #

Princess Mary also has some dazzling arm candy. My only complaint about Camilla is that she has a dumpy bust and this dress emphasizes that. It would have been better if the demarcation between the black skirt and white top were a tad higher.

13. dressaddict April 30, 2013 at 16:23 #

What gorgeous appearences Mary had, first this stunning dress, then the kimono one which deserves to on the BDOTW poll, it was utter perfection!

14. Nat39 April 30, 2013 at 18:17 #

Princess Mary – simply divine (!!)
    Princess Mette-Marit of Norway – way too frumpy, old and shapeless for a 39 year old woman – this is really bad, she dressed like a woman in her 60s.

15. kane April 30, 2013 at 21:00 #

Mary eeeasily is my best dressed royal, but the white dress was one of her rare misses for me.

• kane April 30, 2013 at 21:01 #

…meant in response to dressaddict.

16. Ayvee April 30, 2013 at 21:55 #

Princess Mary’s gown is not from Heartmade, but from Birgit Hallstein:

• Catherine Kallon April 30, 2013 at 22:40 #

Many thanks for the correction.

17. Amy April 30, 2013 at 23:15 #

Princess Mary looks regal. her dress is just beautiful.
    I’m not a fan of Princess Mette-Maritt’s dress as it’s very unflattering and shapeless

18. EmmaWoodhouse April 30, 2013 at 23:32 #

Mary of Denmark, Stephanie of Luxembourg (my favorite!), Letizia, and Laurentien are my favorites. The first two are absolutely BDOTW and are going on my BDOTY list!

19. Fiona May 1, 2013 at 02:39 #

Princess Mary is always impeccable to me, this gown is stunning and elegant, jewels to die for – perfect princess style.

20. Aline May 1, 2013 at 07:26 #

WOW! I’m completely blown away by Princess Mary! BDOTW!

21. Bec May 1, 2013 at 08:03 #

Did you see Mary’s after party look Catherine?
    Swoon!

22. TeaAtTwo May 1, 2013 at 10:38 #

A very well dressed occasion, more interesting than some celeb red carpets. It’s occasions like this that make me glad there are still monarchies.

23. Noemi May 1, 2013 at 10:56 #

I only like Princess Letizia, she looks great. Honetsly, royalties are not known for their style, and thsi event is not an exception.

24. Jess2 May 1, 2013 at 13:12 #

My heart was also a flutter upon seeing the stunning Princess Mary, she never let’s me down. Crown Princess Stephanie was also a favourite, her match with Mr Saab is definitely a winner as I love this look almost as much as I loved her wedding gown.
    I do love a royal event!