28.08.12

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark solidified her position as Vanity Fair’s best dressed royal when she attended the St. Petersburg Loye Prize & Medals ceremony at the Danish Museum of Art & Design on Friday in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The Princess looked beautiful wearing an orange Marc Jacobs dress which is an ultra-feminine take on a classic shirt dress with pleated front detailing, a self-tie waist and short sleeves.

Comparisons to Kate Middleton have been made as Princess Mary dared to wear nude LK Bennett pumps, but when it comes to style, I think the comparisons end there.

Gold jewels and a chic chignon completed her BDOTW-worthy look.

Credit: Getty

Milla Jovovich For FLARE October 2012

Milla Jovovich For FLARE October 2012

Christina Milian's Rag & Bone Silver Tuxedo Blazer And B Brian Atwood Campisa Suede Pumps

Christina Milian’s Rag & Bone Silver Tuxedo Blazer And B Brian Atwood Campisa Suede Pumps

35 Responses to Crown Princess Mary of Denmark In Marc Jacobs – St. Petersburg Loye Prize and Medals Ceremony

1. Grace Patricia August 28, 2012 at 14:29 #

She looks amazing! Love the orange on her skin. I can even forgive the boring pumps, the dress is already shining for itself. Love the earrings too. I really wish Kate could show up like this.

2. Valerie August 28, 2012 at 14:38 #

I love this look! It’s classy enough for a princess, since they are bound to some rules, without being boring. The flowy fabric is very fresh. I don’t like the nude pumps, but I don’t hate them either, I guess they fulfill their goal.

• admmgz August 28, 2012 at 15:19 #

• Rash August 29, 2012 at 04:13 #

Exactly ! The fabric is o die for ! The nude works here too! Overall very very very very classy !

3. Jones19 August 28, 2012 at 14:57 #

Oh my I love the color and the interesting shape of this dress. She’s so lovely.

4. Cheryl August 28, 2012 at 15:02 #

Adore the color. Very classic. Lovely shape.

• tiffany August 28, 2012 at 22:56 #

agreed. definiely BDOTW-worthy

5. TeaAtTwo August 28, 2012 at 15:11 #

I adore this, I love colour, shape and details. The woman behind her in the green looks pretty great too.

• Christine August 28, 2012 at 15:53 #

+1 The dress is beautiful. Love the color.

6. ahot August 28, 2012 at 15:51 #

It makes me laugh when i hear people classify Kate as a fashion icon. & since Mary is way longer “out there”, we all know who is copying from who. Mary always had this wonderful sense of fashion, i even remember her being criticized for being too much of a fashionista.

• Anita August 28, 2012 at 16:25 #

ia. It really irks me when the press/ppl make it seem like Kate is the 1st modern princess and paved the way for the rest. Many of the European princesses et al. have been there, done that already and do it with more a lot more pinache than Kate – the only diference is that they get less press than her.

Even something as simple what Mary has on just feels fresh and classic and not tired like what we come to expect from Kate.

• Molly August 28, 2012 at 18:09 #

Whoever Prince William married would be considered a “fashion icon” by default. If Kate had married into the Danish Royal Family or any other, no one would look twice at what she wears. Mary has become a style icon on her own. She has had some misses, but she usually looks amazing like she does here. Classic but fresh, every bit the princess and future queen she is.

• noo September 6, 2012 at 13:30 #

as a person who loves modern princesses I’m sad that catherine’s style is even classified among them! Maxima of Orange is daring with jewellery, Mary does the high street chic thing, and letizia of spain can wear a ballgown like it’s nobody’s business. These to me are the real modern princesses :D

7. Nat August 28, 2012 at 16:04 #

I love this look so much I really don’t care about the nude pumps here.
    Looks like this show that you can be elegant in a very “traditional” and classic way without being boring.
    Definitely BDOTW-worthy.

8. SS August 28, 2012 at 16:14 #

I love this dress. Such a great color.

On another website someone ID’ed the dress from Marc Jacobs.

• Fashion Critic August 28, 2012 at 17:28 #

Thanks. Going to try to find it

• Fashion Critic August 28, 2012 at 17:56 #

Thank you. I found it thanks to your ID

• SS August 28, 2012 at 20:17 #

No problem FC! :-)

9. Joan August 28, 2012 at 16:34 #

She looks lovely!

10. mm August 28, 2012 at 16:35 #

I want this dress

11. Sandy August 28, 2012 at 17:43 #

The Colour is lively, but the design is awful. It’s shapeless and I’ll fitting. It has a “little girl” vibe. The sleeves are awkward and the neckline is just silly.

I’d still rather have an interesting fail than a safely boring look ala Kate Middy.

12. Nat39 August 28, 2012 at 18:29 #

The nude pumps bother me, would’ve been beautiful with a nice sandal, do like the rest.

13. Lee Ann August 28, 2012 at 19:14 #

from memory i think she is 10 years older than kate but she looks at least 10 years younger. this is elegance not the trash that the DoC wears

14. LK August 28, 2012 at 20:28 #

She looks beautiful…
    The lady in the green dress is the Crown Princess lady-in-waiting.
    The earrings are from the Danish jewelry company, Marianne Dulong.
    Info from a proud Dane :-)

15. EmmaWoodhouse August 28, 2012 at 21:13 #

I’m a fan of both Princess Mary’s and the Duchess’s styles. I think that they bot exemplify elegance. This orange dress is gorgeous on her–a very BDOTW-worthy look, even if the nude pumps are a bit safe. I like the L.K. Bennet shoe style! The neckline is a little bit too low, it is a beautiful look and that tangerine color is divine on her!

• Dani August 28, 2012 at 23:47 #

Agree with everything you have said!

16. Amy August 28, 2012 at 21:27 #

I like it and I don’t hate nude pumps like everyone here. I think they’re perfect for that dress,the orange brings the shock value and color so neutral shoes are nice and I wouldn’t like black shoes here.

17. dee August 28, 2012 at 21:32 #

Love this.

18. Aline August 28, 2012 at 21:40 #

She looks so chic! And I love her hair and earrings.

19. Fortifyyourself August 29, 2012 at 00:34 #

She looks beautiful – orange can be hard to wear. She’s got waaaay more style than Kate.

20. Juliana August 29, 2012 at 01:04 #

This is amazing!!! I love the Princess Mary!!! Thank for posting this FC!!! It’s a new air to your blog!!! :)

21. Dhppy August 29, 2012 at 01:23 #

It’s rare that I like Marc Jacobs, but this I truly adore. It looks wonderful on her. However, her nude LK Bennetts look even more boring than Kate’s. I think this version appears to be missing a platform and is slightly more pinkish in tone, or just appears that way on her leg.

22. Alina August 29, 2012 at 04:44 #

Def. BDOTW-worthy.

23. manel August 29, 2012 at 08:20 #

She repeated the dress .She wore it before in Australia. http://princessesblog76.blogspot.com/2012/08/mary-en-robe-marc-jacobs.html

24. Fiona August 29, 2012 at 08:31 #

Gorgeous – I always love Princess Mary’s style and this is such a brave but restrained choice. I always love her jewelry choices also, those earrings are so elegant but a little bit different. Definitely a BDOTW contender for me.