Michelle Obama In J.Mendel – 2012 Pre-Olympics Reception

Michelle Obama also attended the pre-Olympics reception on Friday for Heads of State and Government, which was host by Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace prior to the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games.

For the royal occasion Michelle wore a J. Mendel Resort 2013 ensemble.

The look consisted of a white tailored jacket with overlapped side panels and silver embroidery, which she paired with an ivory pleated skirt.

Michelle will always command my attention over Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

FLOTUS isn’t afraid of colour, prints and in this case, she expertly contrasts an architectural top with a soft flowing skirt with great aplomb.

This looks is much more interesting, fashion-forward and stylish than yet another coat dress from the Duchess.

Metallic Manolo’s and stunning earrings completed her look.

Diane Kruger's Joie 'Eye of the Tiger' Lace Up Moccasin Flat Booties

Diane Kruger’s Joie ‘Eye of the Tiger’ Lace Up Moccasin Flat Booties

Samantha Cameron In Roksanda Ilincic - 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony

Samantha Cameron In Roksanda Ilincic – 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony

29 Responses to Michelle Obama In J.Mendel – 2012 Pre-Olympics Reception

1. Alina July 30, 2012 at 09:22 #

Love this!

• CreoleLady July 30, 2012 at 11:00 #

+1. White can be so bridal or even boring. But here, it is glamorously intriguing and ever so flattering. Gorgeous, h2t.

2. Jessica July 30, 2012 at 09:33 #

I love this look on Mrs. Obama! It suits her very well, and softens her shoulders a bit, too. This is definitely something I look forward to her repeating.

3. Leti July 30, 2012 at 09:50 #

I love this look, as well. This ensemble is not only stunning in itself, but Mrs. O. looks stunning in it–it’s so flattering for her proportions.

• dee August 1, 2012 at 21:33 #

4. Martin July 30, 2012 at 10:01 #

I think the cut and detail on the top is incredible, and I think that she wears it beautifully. Would have prefered a narrower skirt though – it would have exagerrated the side panels quite nicely.

5. Molly July 30, 2012 at 10:06 #

Im not usually a fan of Michelles style, but she knocked this one out of the park! Lovely.

6. TeaAtTwo July 30, 2012 at 10:12 #

This a great look, I love the modernity of the top paired with the classic femininity of the rest of the out and hair make-up are both beautiful.

7. T from Sydney July 30, 2012 at 10:24 #

she looks great but personally i like it with the pants. but the skirt is more appropriate to the event.

8. couturecoco July 30, 2012 at 10:50 #

A fantastic look for MO in every way! I love that the length of the top flatters her proportions and for the cap sleeves – so elegant. The only thing I would add is that she could so rock those shoes on the model! I wish she would be as adventurous in her footwear as her clothes.

9. - I July 30, 2012 at 10:53 #

I am lucky enough to be working for the Olympics and got a chance to meet her. She is an incredible lady. Very warm, very smiley, she got such a charisma/presence and she is really tall! I definitely understand why she hugs that much because to be honest she truly got a “commanding authority/charisma”. Complete showstopper, you know when she is there. Seeing this pictures of her with Kate, I wonder what they can talk about.. but then, it’s Michelle, even when she is talking about mundane things she is got “presence” and is fascinating. There definitely is no one like her, even the police officers agree! One of them told me she was in a league of her own. Everyone is in awe, Americans you can be proud! I am even more a fangirl now :)

• Rebecca Z July 30, 2012 at 14:33 #

She is an amazing presence, even more so for having come to it rather reluctantly. I want her to be FLOTUS for life.

10. jo July 30, 2012 at 11:15 #

I hope that when she talked with Catherine she gave her some hints how to dress better. I agree with everything you said, she is amazing.

11. Hannah July 30, 2012 at 11:57 #

She looks amazing! Definitely beat Kate on this occasion

12. Rory July 30, 2012 at 12:41 #

Her clothes are actually exciting. That’s the thing about her, not just her presence and ability to make clothes look great, but she wears EXCITING pieces. I mean the sculptural top is absolutely beautiful and so interesting to look at.

13. Sarah July 30, 2012 at 13:19 #

The architectural tailoring works perfectly for her body shape. I love seeing structured pieces that just *click*!

14. Markness July 30, 2012 at 13:23 #

I hate the skirt. It cheapens the look. Maybe because the skirt looks cheap. Wish it was more elegant or structured.

• Nat39 July 30, 2012 at 22:29 #

The skirt is what bothers me here too b/c combined with the structure of the top, it really widens her in the hip area, makes her look bottom-heavy/pear-shaped. It just should’ve been a slick/more structured skirt instead of flowing. No, this isn’t flattering on her, and the hair would’ve been better pulled back.

15. dee July 30, 2012 at 13:50 #

She looks lovely.

16. Christine July 30, 2012 at 14:03 #

Love it!

“Michelle will always command my attention over Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.”

No doubt.

• Anita July 30, 2012 at 16:48 #

I really hope she rubs off on Kate – fashion & personality wise.

17. robbie July 30, 2012 at 15:40 #

head to toe perfection, she definitely out shone catherine.

18. Yeliz July 30, 2012 at 20:00 #

So much more interesting than Catherine’s look and so amazing. Love it from head to toe.

19. Sharon July 30, 2012 at 22:01 #

IMO, Michelle always does the US proud. I love this look. I especially enjoyed the pictures of her with the US athletes. I think it’s the first time I’ve seen her have to look up to anyone, LOL.

20. mia July 30, 2012 at 22:22 #

She looks very pretty with her hair and makeup. I don’t like the outfit and the shoes don’t flatter her legs at all. Also, it’s been 4 years- why hasn’t anyone taught her how to walk appropriately?

21. What Is The New Black July 30, 2012 at 23:18 #

I agree! Michelle’s style is far better than Catherine’s!

22. Grace Patricia July 31, 2012 at 00:10 #

I’m brazilian but I just ADORE her looks. She seems to have the sunshine in her, even when she’s not wearing bright colors.Maybe it’s a biased oppinion but I just can help loving all her looks.

23. Adore July 31, 2012 at 03:18 #

She just seems so genuine on top of her other wonderful qualities (intelligence, charm, beauty, charity, kindness, etc to name just a few). It was so adorable watching the USA team, coaches included, line up like school children to receive hugs from her! Love her.

24. Courtney Martin August 1, 2012 at 03:15 #

Wow, Michelle blows Catherine away with her dress. Just because you are in the public eye so often doesn’t mean you should never have fun with clothes.