07.03.12

Alexander McQueen Fall 2012

The one thing I love about an Alexander McQueen show is that you can expect the unexpected.

In a dark-lit room with the fibre optic lights hanging from the ceiling, the first model stormed the runway wearing an ivory jacquard coat with a Mongolian fur collar.

As the show progressed, the feminine, futuristic looks became more explosive as they pulsated down the runway.

We saw coats, capes, jackets and skirts adorned with feathers, fur pom poms, Mongolian fur and laser-cut pony skin on leather.

One look had a degraded effect of mink, goat fur and ostrich feathers, which was paired with knee-high black mink-trimmed boots.

The pretty dresses with silver dandelion embroideries seem made for Florence Welch.

A selection of fuchsia looks followed which had metal and enamel embroideries shaped into blossoms with an atelier-like precision.

The finale looks sang ‘hello Lady Gaga’ very loudly. Even though the singer is petite, I can see her wearing the black shaved organza gown.

Key accessories included visors, which I’m sure we will see Bryan Boy wearing next fashion week, heel-less shoes and metal waistbands.

We may not get to see the majority of our favourite looks on the red carpet, it will be exciting to see who will get an opportunity to wear the first look.

Who are you hedging your bets on?

Front Row: Salma Hayek and Anna Wintour

Who I See Wearing This Collection: Lady Gaga, Florence Welch, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Rose Byrne, Daphne Guinness and Anne Hathaway

Credit: Style.com

Angelababy's Delpozo Floral-Print Silk-Gazar Dress

Angelababy’s Delpozo Floral-Print Silk-Gazar Dress

Fan Bingbing In Louis Vuitton - Louis Vuitton Fall 2012 Presentation

Fan Bingbing In Louis Vuitton – Louis Vuitton Fall 2012 Presentation

16 Responses to Alexander McQueen Fall 2012

1. AW March 7, 2012 at 20:02 #

I love the drama of it all

2. Sam March 7, 2012 at 20:22 #

McQueen is my favourite designer ever and Sarah has been great.
    Until this. What is this but an endless repeat of silhouettes from the previous collection, except made out of skinned muppets?
    She is doing textures and more textures until left with a comical amount of ruffles and hair, while the actual DESIGN palette grows smaller and smaller. The shapes are boring and simplistic, rehashed from her previous stuff.
    Also the colours remind me way too much of her previous fall collection. They both have this “Russian winter fairy tale” thing going. Is this her only idea for fall clothes? It can’t be.

They should just retire the McQueen name and relaunch the brand as Sarah Burton. This would have Lee spinning in his grave and SHE can do so much better. We all saw what a genius she is with the spring collection. I know she has a lot of collections to design, but still, there is just no excuse for this mess.

• gusmex March 7, 2012 at 21:12 #

i´m agree with u in some point, and im a huge fan of Lee, i just miss him, but we can´t deny the Sarah´s influence in the new brand, she can make texture drama, and is good, is so haute couture, and it sells very well, that´s the point, she´s genius, but she can be Lee McQueen

• wilwarin March 7, 2012 at 21:29 #

i couldn’t have said it better and i totally agree with you… when i saw this firts i was like wtf? what have you done with mcQueen…

• molly March 7, 2012 at 22:28 #

I feel the same way. This was such a let down for me. The craftmanship is amazing as usual, but as someone said on Style, there is a problem when you have to make sure that you are not looking at the same look over and over. Every look was so close to each other and several were the same exact thing is a slightly different color.
      The spring collection was amazing and beautiful so I was hoping for more in this collection.

3. mm March 7, 2012 at 20:24 #

I am speechless everything is so amazing. I love the gown you picked for Anne H. I do hope we get to see one of these looks at the Met

4. dee March 7, 2012 at 20:51 #

I don’t like it. Too much frou-frou.

5. EmmaWoodhouse March 7, 2012 at 21:03 #

It is mostly way too OTT for me but very fun to look at :)

6. Matt R March 7, 2012 at 22:04 #

I know this collection won’t be to everyone’s liking, as I can see by a couple comments already, but I loved it. I personally think that Sarah Burton has done amazing work since McQueen’s untimely passing and that he would be so proud of her. One thing that I loved about this collection is that all the models looked like Abbey Lee Kershaw, who happens to be one of my favorite models along with Karlie Kloss. There was a lot of youth, edge and couture like craftmanship and I can’t wait to see more, especially with the release of the commercial looks and their interpretations of the runway looks.

Thanks FC for all your hard work! Hope you enjoyed your time in Paris!

7. Henrique March 7, 2012 at 22:51 #

Worst McQueen collection ever.

8. Emmeline March 7, 2012 at 22:53 #

I adore that dress you chose for Anne Hathaway! With all the promo she’ll be doing for TDKR this year, maybe we’ll get lucky and see her wearing it.

9. Anna March 7, 2012 at 23:08 #

First McQueen collection I’ve ever disliked. I loved McQ, and I think Sarah Burton is great, but this one? WTF?!

10. Meg March 8, 2012 at 00:14 #

What a disaster. However extreme McQueen was in the past, there was always some sort of emotional content or edge running through out. This was just very uh…puffy.

11. Christian March 8, 2012 at 03:23 #

Hmm. This is the first McQueen collection (both from Lee and Sarah) that I havent liked AT ALL. It feels a bit tacky and recycled drama. But I did love the McQ collection so I think they focused so much energy on that which is where the mistakes fell in this collection.

Excited to see what you have to say about the ESaab collection. I have been growing bored as I felt it has been recycled designs like this mcQueen collection. It was sooooo amazing to see a fresh point of view from today and such a gorgeous variety of looks. One of my favorites this season!

12. mandy March 8, 2012 at 03:39 #

Speechless. LOVE every single piece !!!

13. Carolina Roq March 8, 2012 at 19:06 #

I still believe his family shouldn’t have allowed this fashion line go on without Alexander. His will wasn’t respected, but after all it is just business…