27.02.12

When I saw Katy Perry at the 20th Annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party at The City of West Hollywood Park, California last night, I was ready to take back my statement about loving her blue hair phase.

Although I loved it for her previous red carpet appearances, I really dislike it on this occasion.

The hair cheapens her Blumarine gown.

Just picture how amazing this full length silk tulle gown embellished with silver and black iridescent sequins would have been with her black hair.

Credit: Getty

Get The Look: Kelly Rowland’s MTV Video Music Awards Mani

Get The Look: Kelly Rowland’s MTV Video Music Awards Mani

Katie Holmes In Elie Saab Couture - 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

Katie Holmes In Elie Saab Couture – 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

35 Responses to Katy Perry In Blumarine – Elton John’s AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party

1. Simon February 27, 2012 at 11:37 #

When is she gonna stop? i really don’t get it.

• bm February 27, 2012 at 14:07 #

Yeah, her style so tacky lately. Maybe when she find another man on her life.

• EmmaWoodhouse February 27, 2012 at 14:39 #

+1 This dress could’ve worked–it’s not my favorite but I can see someone pulling it off. Unfortuantely Katy makes it look cheap and tacky. The hair is REALLY BAD!

2. jenny February 27, 2012 at 11:37 #

I like it, because it makes the look young

3. GirlOne February 27, 2012 at 11:38 #

I agree that I’d would’ve looked better with black hair (and I do like the blue hair, although the roots are somewhat disturbing). My real question, though, is: Why does she always wear so much eye make-up?

4. akyla February 27, 2012 at 11:50 #

But she looks really really beautiful! Classic!

5. T from Sydney February 27, 2012 at 11:53 #

ok i dont know who tells her that her blue hair is cute but she needs to fire them asap.

her hair has been making all of her dresses cheap and stupid.

FC- you are amazing first it was fashion week which had you traveling around the world plus all the parties leading up to the Oscars and the actual Oscars! plus the after parties. thank you for all the updates!!! i hope you have a holiday after this!! you earned it!

• Fashion Critic February 27, 2012 at 11:56 #

Yes, I’m going to take one, but I will be taking my laptop with me ;)

6. Juliana February 27, 2012 at 11:55 #

I actually like it. Her blue hair makes her stand out from the crowd of celebrities that would’ve made this just another pretty long, tulled-and-sequin covered dress.

• Carolina Roq February 29, 2012 at 20:46 #

Yes, it’s beautiful! The hair compliments the dress. Best dressed at the after parties.

7. justme February 27, 2012 at 12:15 #

The eye makeup is beyond 90′s tragic.
    I really can’t with her hair because of the roots and the fact that the blue seems uneven. Did she dye her hair herself?

8. CreoleLady February 27, 2012 at 12:38 #

AGREE! I sometimes don’t like the fit of her dresses — a bit too tight at times.. But here, the dress fits perfectly and I love the interesting print. Am. So. Over. The. Hair.

9. A. February 27, 2012 at 12:51 #

Her hair and makeup totally ruins it. This could have been an amazing look.

10. Carolina Roq February 27, 2012 at 13:14 #

the dress is incredible

11. Elle February 27, 2012 at 13:21 #

I’m with the minority…I love it. I think the dress would have been to plain for Katy’s style with black hair. I love the blue hair-it makes her beautiful face stand out so much-really compliments her eyes.

• KatieKate June 9, 2013 at 03:13 #

I know this is a really old post, but I had to go down on record as saying that I absolutely LOVE this color of blue fir her hair, sorry, but I just DO! Furthermore, I love her makeup here–the blue rimming her eyes looks so beautiful with the hair color. I also think the dress is stunning on her, and the color of her hair truly picks up on the glints of blue in the sequins. Well thought out and executed look. She is a POP STAR people–no WE wouldn’t dress like her, but that’s what makes Katy so unique and fun. She is a total original, and we get to enjoy her as such! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!

12. dee February 27, 2012 at 13:44 #

I really like this and I don’t even mind the blue hair.

13. Aline February 27, 2012 at 14:08 #

Just imagine how amazing every single gown she’s worn in the last 6 months would have looked with her black hair.

UGH.

14. Hannah February 27, 2012 at 14:29 #

Urgh, so bored of her. Everythign she does & wears is gimmicky. The hair and especially the matching eyeshadow is especially terrible

15. Jones19 February 27, 2012 at 15:16 #

The blue hair looks tacky on this occasion.

16. Charlotte February 27, 2012 at 16:06 #

I really really like this look.. i didn’t really like her blue hair with the Elie Saab she wore a couple of weeks ago but I think here, it looks fun and really cool!

17. lisa February 27, 2012 at 16:09 #

katy is wonderful in Blumarine…I like this dress!!!!

18. lucy February 27, 2012 at 16:14 #

I love Katy Perry in Blumarine she simply dazzles! She really carries the dress off with such ease, and the detail on the shoulders, wow! The overall look is fabulous!

19. Rebecca Z February 27, 2012 at 16:36 #

Amen, FC. It is a gorgeous dress–she needs to pick cartoon or real woman

20. JacobGH February 27, 2012 at 17:30 #

I actually think the blue hair looks amazing with the blue hair. Expand your mind, FC!

• Fashion Critic February 27, 2012 at 17:48 #

My mind is fully expanded, thank you

21. Shauni212 February 27, 2012 at 17:56 #

I actually love this look- I think the hair complements the dress.

22. Dhppy February 27, 2012 at 19:50 #

I love the dress! Oh, where was something like this on the Oscar red carpet? I was never a fan of the blue hair and I think it consistently detracts from her outfits. This would be stunning with her dark hair.

23. jane February 27, 2012 at 20:00 #

The skirt portion of the dress is great, the bodice portion looks like a design after thought.
    I like the simple styling of her hair with the whimsy of the color. Also love the eye makeup as it does a great job of hilighting her eyes and is complimentary to her hair color.

24. Niki February 28, 2012 at 11:12 #

I completely agree! With black hair and a traditional smokey eye, this would have been amazing. As is… tacky.

25. Alina February 28, 2012 at 15:03 #

She’s a murderer.

26. Shaina February 29, 2012 at 00:13 #

I stared at this picture for almost five minutes…just trying to decide if I understand why she is keeping her hair blue and letting the roots grow out. I still don’t understand. It does not look good. I have nothing more to say about her.

27. Sean Garrette February 29, 2012 at 07:05 #

I actually love the way the blue hair plays off the gunmetal grey and blue crystals in the dress. Katy is has her own unique look that i really appreciate. anybody could’ve worn that gown with black hair but she made it her own!

28. ange February 29, 2012 at 09:57 #

Enough with the smurf hair!!

29. Parvati March 1, 2012 at 00:00 #

I think she looks gorgeous!