Menu

When Cate Blanchett was announced as the President of the Cannes Film Festival jury, I was excited to see how she could wow me like she’s done on so many occasion.

For the opening ceremony, she opted to revise the Armani Prive Fall 2013 gown that she wore to the 2014 Golden Globe Awards.

This was a symbolic gesture by the actress towards the idea of more responsible consumerism, where clothes are not so frequently discarded.

With that in mind, I would say that second outing is more precious than the first.

On this occasion Cate wore her hair up and styled her Couture gown with Chopard jewels.

I knew Cate would use her position wisely and send a positive messages, so she didn’t let me down on either front.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Fan Bingbing In Ali Karoui Couture -‘Everybody Knows’ Cannes Film Festival Screening

Penelope Cruz In Vintage Chanel - ‘Everybody Knows’ Cannes Film Festival Screening

Penelope Cruz In Vintage Chanel – ‘Everybody Knows’ Cannes Film Festival Screening

39 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Armani Prive – ‘Everybody Knows’ Cannes Film Festival Screening

1. sapphire May 9, 2018 at 9:47 pm #

Rita Moreno did it at the Oscars earlier this year – it’s not a new concept.

I prefer her first outing in this. However, she also has access to vast archives which would’ve driven her point across just as well. She gets a free pass for a ton of things, it’s kind of entertaining.

• Catherine Kallon May 9, 2018 at 9:58 pm #

I hadn’t seen that. Thanks for the info

2. Leandra May 9, 2018 at 10:32 am #

She looked beautiful back then and now she looks radiant. LOVE the look, unconditionally.

3. charlotte May 9, 2018 at 4:55 am #

Oh god….After seeing all of Day 1’s looks,What a complete lackluster day this was.
    Is this “Day 1 of Cannes 2014” happening all over again? Not a single wow moment.
    If you are a veteran reader of this site like me, you would know that is not a good sign.

Fingers crossed these ladies would give me something to cheer for in the days to come!

4. kate May 9, 2018 at 1:51 am #

i’m sure there were better dresses from her red carpet history that she could repeat 🙁 or at least she could re-wear this Armani at one of the premieres and give us something more breathtaking at the opening ceremony. oh well.

5. olala May 9, 2018 at 12:25 am #

OMG, I work for the environment and I cannot tell you how much I love it when celebrities repeat clothes. It is not as if that reduces our interest. But it still makes for responsible behaviour and not overly comsumptive.
    (okay, well everything is consumptive, but to be conscious of it is great).

6. VG May 8, 2018 at 10:55 pm #

It’s a beautiful dress…I loved it the first time and I like it again the second time. I wonder if she’s only going to repeat gowns during the festival? We might get Cate Blanchetts Greatest Red Carpet Hits lol

7. Kimma May 8, 2018 at 10:21 pm #

A regal entrance befitting Queen Cate

8. sapphire May 8, 2018 at 9:55 pm #

Rita Moreno recycled her Òscar dress earlier this year – it’s not a new concept.

Having said that, she has access to tons of vintage couture pieces which could’ve driven her point across just as well. A lot of people excuse a lot from Cate even though it’s clear sometimes that she’s complacent in her choices. All the praise is a little entertaining but it’s so consistent that it’s easy to just accept it as good and nothing else.

9. Aocc May 8, 2018 at 9:49 pm #

BDOTY then, BDOTY now. Timeless.

10. Athena May 8, 2018 at 9:34 pm #

If you’re going to re-wear a gown, this is one that deserves a second outing. Wouldn’t it be funny if she spent the entire festival re-wearing her greatest hits?

• Schoolbea May 8, 2018 at 10:50 pm #

Lol… I’d surely enjoy it, but it’d be dreams crushed. I can still remember my heart skipping a beat when I read here that she’d be president of the jury at Cannes… I’ve been building anticipation ever since!

• Leandra May 9, 2018 at 10:30 am #

Gfriend, you’re back ! where have you been for so long ? we missed you here.

11. Chris May 8, 2018 at 9:24 pm #

I *loved* it the first time, I love it now. I also sort of question the depth of the message behind rewearing a gown, but I’m definitely not bothered by it here.

12. Amy May 8, 2018 at 9:09 pm #

I like it! The dress is beautiful. Also Celebs have so many outings that one or two re-runs are not an issue for me.

13. james May 8, 2018 at 8:54 pm #

This whole feminism thingy sounds phony and PR to me. I would have admired her had she worn an unknown female designer from a developing country or something more remarkable like that. Re-wearing an atrociousouly (albeit gorgeous) expensive dress doesn’t cut it for me especially at Cannes.

• kate May 9, 2018 at 1:48 am #

this has less to do with feminism and more with environmental causes/overconsumption (we buy too many clothes, we discard clothes too easily, etc). but nice try.

14. Fiona-Brasil May 8, 2018 at 8:44 pm #

The dress is gorgeous and huge kudos to the gesture!Why wouldn’t one wear those beautiful gowns more than once?It doesn’t make any sense to me.

15. Dan May 8, 2018 at 8:40 pm #

This dress deserves another night out. She looks elegant and beautiful and that’s all that anybody can ask for.

16. Boy May 8, 2018 at 8:32 pm #

I like that she’s giving a message and I love how she wore the gown both times. I know people were expecting something grand but she’s just starting, hopefully she’ll deliver on the next days.

17. Ally May 8, 2018 at 8:24 pm #

OMG, a black lace dress WITHOUT visible granny pants!!!
    Jokes apart, the dress is lovely, even as a rerun. The lack of granny pants itself makes me vote on it for BDOTW…
    But if she’s doing a retun, there’s more memorable dresses, like that red and gold Christian Lacroix from 2010…

• Susie May 8, 2018 at 11:05 pm #

+1 YESSSS I would love to the that Lacroix again. One of her best-ever looks.

• Ariya May 9, 2018 at 5:10 am #

Along with the Oscars Givenchy

18. weiss May 8, 2018 at 8:23 pm #

I really like the gesture, but I wasn’t a fan of this gown on the first outing and I’m not a fan of it now; I really wish she repeated one her past Gaultier or Givenchy. I do like the styling though she does look beautiful.

I’m excited, despite the unflattering tailoring on the Stella suit earlier, and now repeating a outfit, which I like (beautiful creations deserve more than one outing) there is no sight of awkward outfits on the first day. Looking forward for more.

19. Caroline May 8, 2018 at 8:15 pm #

Why on earth would she wear a gown that she has already worn??? I am so beyond disappointed.

20. Nat39 May 8, 2018 at 8:12 pm #

Whatever message aside, I can’t help but feel disappointed.

• Christine May 8, 2018 at 10:49 pm #

Same. SO DISAPPOINTING. WTF.

So she’s going to recycled looks now?

21. Vizual Ninja May 8, 2018 at 8:10 pm #

wow tough crowd, maybe it’s because it’s repeat outfit but I think this is even more stunning the second time around, much prefer this styling.

22. Original meme May 8, 2018 at 8:08 pm #

I knew she’d worn this gown before. I’m underwhelmed though the back is gorgeous.

23. charlotte May 8, 2018 at 7:55 pm #

C’mon Cate! you can do so much better than this.
    This was merely a black sheer see-through dress which had been done to death.
    Sure your earrings are stunning,but that’s about it.
    I haven’t been wowed once so far which is sad.

24. EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2018 at 7:50 pm #

Gorgeous, and I appreciate the gesture, but I do hope she has some surprises up her sleeve.

25. Santiago May 8, 2018 at 7:48 pm #

Those earrings are exquisite but I still prefer the first outing.

26. Pheephee May 8, 2018 at 7:48 pm #

Argh. Well nope. I cannot.
    Looks like this is not going to be an exciting fashion event for her, if I judge by this first day.
    Ya ya, messages are great and all.

27. fromchi-town May 8, 2018 at 7:42 pm #

I appreciate that she chose to repeat a gown and she looks beautiful. But I do prefer her previous outing in the gown.

28. Alina May 8, 2018 at 7:41 pm #

Call me what you want, but I’m disappointed.

• charlotte May 8, 2018 at 7:56 pm #

Don’t worry girl,I’m here with you

• Eni May 8, 2018 at 8:00 pm #

• Lashae May 8, 2018 at 10:13 pm #

• lelaid May 9, 2018 at 12:11 am #

Jumping on this bandwagon!