Menu

September 21, 2015 Runway To Red Carpet

Jennifer Lopez In Michael Costello – Vegas Residency Launch Party

Posted by Catherine Kallon

Jennifer Lopez In Michael Costello -  Vegas Residency Launch Party

Jennifer Lopez partied at the Chateau Nightclub & Rooftop at Paris Las Vegas during her residency launch party on Saturday (September 19) in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The singer wore a Michael Costello Spring 2016 cape jumpsuit which possessed a plunging neckline and bold shoulders.

While my first thoughts were this looks so dated and done to death, I have to say JLo rocked the look.

The whole throwback vibe feels really appropriate on this occasion.

The look was styled with a Tod’s clutch, plus Butani diamond ear climbers and a Pasquale Bruni diamond flower ring.

Credit: NYMag.com & Getty

'The Final Girls' Toronto Film Festival Premiere

‘The Final Girls’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere

Rooney Mara In Givenchy Couture - ‘Pan’ World Premiere

Rooney Mara In Givenchy Couture – ‘Pan’ World Premiere

27 Responses to Jennifer Lopez In Michael Costello – Vegas Residency Launch Party

1. jhh36 September 22, 2015 at 6:35 am #

I hated the outfit but then it started to grow on me as a tongue in cheek homage to Vegas and now I love it.

2. Alina September 22, 2015 at 6:30 am #

I like the jumpsuit – it’s interesting and classy. Jennifer’s styling is HORRIBLE.

3. bruna September 22, 2015 at 2:34 am #

I think it’s appropriate given she’s in Vegas night
    It’s giving Elvis vibe

4. Caroline September 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm #

Tragic.

5. kane September 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm #

The outfit is less bad than usual Jennifer. But I have to work hard to see past the styling.

6. justme September 21, 2015 at 9:05 pm #

I cannot take baby hair seriously in 2015.

• Jenny September 21, 2015 at 9:30 pm #

Something about the look just feels dated and over powering on her frame.
      The hair is a painful to look at.

7. sophie September 21, 2015 at 9:05 pm #

Her hair better not be cornrows. Cultural appropriation should NEVER be given a pass. I can’t tell if those are cornrows.

I don’t care if she is rockin’ it, she is as tacky as ever, which alludes to her poor taste.

• justme September 21, 2015 at 9:08 pm #

lol it is cornrows. 5 lovely cornrows paired with gelled down baby hair.

• sophie September 21, 2015 at 9:34 pm #

I hope the “lovely” was sarcastic. Cultural appropriation is not okay.

• Bfly September 22, 2015 at 7:31 am #

You need to Get over yourself.

• justme September 22, 2015 at 11:59 am #

The “lovely” was indeed sarcastic and even though I can understand where you are coming from, in this case, I wouldn’t call cornrows cultural appropriation.

• Andrea September 22, 2015 at 5:35 pm #

She is boriqua… I’m not sure the concept “cultural apropiation” applies here.

• jhh36 September 23, 2015 at 6:42 am #

Exactly.

• moonbeam September 21, 2015 at 10:42 pm #

I’m a black female so I get where you’re coming from, but at the same time I’m starting to think many people are using the phrase “cultural appropriation” without really knowing what it means, and because it seems trendy to do so in 2015 (and makes them sound “conscious”).

Can a person of a particular race/culture NEVER wear something which originates from a different culture without it being “cultural appropriation”?? Maybe J.Lo is wearing cornrows because she likes the style and how it looks on her! Can’t it be that harmless?

As a black woman am I engaging in “cultural appropriation” if I wear saris or turbans (because I love these looks) since I’m not Indian or Middle Eastern?? Sometimes it’s simply that a person likes a look and wants to wear a look because they think it’s appealing/beautiful.

• edie September 22, 2015 at 1:55 am #

I’m an artist and have a background in art history, and the problem of cultural appropriation is something we’ve grappled with a long time. I do think it just hit the mainstream recently, and it’s taken to extreme degrees. All art and culture is “appropriation” in the sense that we’re increasingly international in our civilization and there should be beautiful crossovers and adaptations. That’s what takes us forward. Can there be offensive or exploitative takes on culture? Yes, of course. But I don’t think that is what Jennifer Lopez is doing at all. (Whether or not she’s rocking the cornrows is another question altogether…)

Don’t mean to get too heavy, but it’s a complicated topic that gets rather shrilly oversimplified. I like your take on wanting to wear beautiful looks from other cultures. Humans are lovely.

• justme September 22, 2015 at 12:02 pm #

I agree with both you (edie) and moonbeam. As much as I’m glad that cultural appropriation is a topic which is finally addressed in the media, I can’t help but think that it has become misunderstood and misused.

• Andrea September 22, 2015 at 5:37 pm #

+ 1 Moonbean
            + 1 Edie

• Amy September 22, 2015 at 10:04 am #

THANK YOU. I’m so tired of this overly sensitive bullshit. So you can’t rock cornrows unless you’re black? that’s just nonsense.
        Back to the look, I want to give it a pass but the crotch is killing me. They should have made flare pants (or bootcut). I don’t know, I’m not buying it. sorry jlo

• bisbee September 22, 2015 at 1:59 pm #

Excellent post.

8. alvaro_spain September 21, 2015 at 8:36 pm #

I like the outfit, but the hair is completely ugly!!

9. Dee September 21, 2015 at 8:36 pm #

The hair is tragic. The outfit is nothing special.

• Yeliz September 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm #

10. Phoenix September 21, 2015 at 8:23 pm #

I enjoy the top half of the outfit, but the pants part of it is just tacky and ugly. She looks kind of like a Vegas stunt girl in that costume….which is fitting I suppose.

11. Christine September 21, 2015 at 8:23 pm #

She rocks it. Dated, but it works for her

12. pinksugar September 21, 2015 at 8:19 pm #

The hair is so ridiculous here it’d hard for me to even notice the outfit. Why anyone would put that style on such a beautiful woman is beyond me. The outfit is very deja vu but with a body like that you can’t deny she sold the look.

• Bailey September 21, 2015 at 9:42 pm #