Zhang Ziyi In Giambattista Valli Couture - Jury 'Un Certain Regard' Cannes Film Festival Photocall

We can all breathe a huge sigh of relief as it appears that Zhang Ziyi’s cropped ‘do from last night’s opening ceremony was just a wig.

This morning she returned to the Palais des Festivals for the Jury ‘Un Certain Regard’ photocall during Cannes Film Festival.

She looked exquisite wearing a Giambattista Valli Spring 2013 Couture dress featuring a sheer top and colourful patterned structured skirt with green embroidered leaf details throughout.

Yellow Louboutin pumps complement the hue of her skirt, with gold H.Stern jewels providing the finishing touches.

I know many of you disliked her spirited opening ceremony look, deeming it not worthy of the occasion; should she have swapped her photocall look with her previous look?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Zooey Deschanel's Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Zooey Deschanel’s Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Octavia Spencer In Tadashi Shoji - 'Fruitvale Station' Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Octavia Spencer In Tadashi Shoji – ‘Fruitvale Station’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall

39 Responses to Zhang Ziyi In Giambattista Valli Couture – Jury ‘Un Certain Regard’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall

1. Yeliz May 16, 2013 at 15:36 #

I’m relieved that her hair last night was just a wig.
    She looks gorgeous here. I love everything about this look and I’m glad she shortened the skirt, because her version suits better for a photocall. Such a delightful, summery look.

• SilentVisitor May 16, 2013 at 15:50 #

• Noemi May 16, 2013 at 15:57 #

I agree, and I also love the jewelry. She looks lovely.

• Donut May 18, 2013 at 01:37 #

The jelewry is H.stern,which is very famouse brand in The world!Many Hollywood start like tis brand.

• dee May 16, 2013 at 16:31 #

2. Charlotte May 16, 2013 at 15:37 #

The dress is much better than on the runaway !

• Cookie May 16, 2013 at 17:40 #

I agree. I think the tea length would’ve been more graceful.

• Cookie May 16, 2013 at 17:40 #

Oops. Posted in the wrong place.

3. EmmaWoodhouse May 16, 2013 at 15:38 #

This might be my favorite photocall look so far! Perfection from head to toe–the hair is beautiful, the dress is a dream (just hoping the top isn’t too sheer), and the shoes were a great touch.
    HOWEVER. It wouldn’t have been appropriate for the opening ceremony either! She really needed to just ditch that other look (including that awful wig–at least it WAS a wig) and go with one of her elegant and amazing gowns!

4. Burcu May 16, 2013 at 15:40 #

Perfection head to toe!!It is hard to believe same person did the last night mistake!

5. Roosje May 16, 2013 at 15:44 #

I love the touch of the purple manicure, stunning!
    I do wonder why she thought it was a good idea to wear yesterday’s outfit. Especially when she had one like this lined up for a photocall.

6. Lee Ann May 16, 2013 at 15:47 #

By shortening the dress , she completely ruined the dress. The porportion is now wrong . very sad as it is a beautiful dres on the model.

• kane May 16, 2013 at 15:55 #

I agree. It’s a vast improvement by comparison, but shortening the dress to make it event-appropriate is just a shame. I love her choice of shoes but I wish the skirt could have stayed as it was.

• Nat May 16, 2013 at 17:33 #

I think she doesn’t have the height to wear the original dress that is why it was shorted. I like both versions.

• Gz May 16, 2013 at 17:10 #

+1! Hate the shortened version, which renders the skirt odd-looking. In the original version, the floral appliques flow down to the bottom hem and are well, naturally mixed with the print. Now the skirt loos forced

• Quinn May 16, 2013 at 17:40 #

I agree. It look more sophisticated on the runway.

7. Moxie May 16, 2013 at 15:48 #

I actually prefer the shorter cut on Zhang Ziyi than on the model. Love the shoes.

• justme May 16, 2013 at 22:50 #

So do I. The shorter version is prettier and less matronly.

8. fromchi-town May 16, 2013 at 15:50 #

Stunning… from head to toe. I love her inspired shoe choice… its perfect for the dress, better than the one the model wore.

9. Christine May 16, 2013 at 15:58 #

She looks amazing. Nice addition of the yellow shoes.

10. R May 16, 2013 at 16:00 #

Beautiful! Love that she ditched the boring black pumps that seem to be a default on the red carpet and chose a yellow that picked up the yellow-green in the dress. And that hemmed her dress because the runway look would have overwhelmed her frame. It’s perfect. This is what I like to see on the red carpet :D

I don’t know who she’s using as a stylist, but Hollywood stars could learn a thing or two.

Also, I liked the wig in the last look.

11. CreoleLady May 16, 2013 at 16:10 #

J’adore. A rare “hack job” I can live with. The styling is outstanding. That said, it would be nice to see the original dress on a taller woman because I do love the silhouette on the model.

12. Fiona May 16, 2013 at 16:18 #

I love this dress, the shoes, the manicure everything, however, I do prefer the proportions of the dress on the model. Cutting off the bottom loses the contrast of the appliques over the printed silk, also the hemming looks a bit wobbly.

13. admmgz May 16, 2013 at 16:24 #

I love the entire look! I really love the details like her purple mani & jewelry that resembles the pattern of the dress. The yellow shoes were the perfect touch and her makeup was pretty. I don’t mind that the dress was shortened as it still looks beautiful on Zhang Ziyi (then again, almost anything looks great on her!)

14. Kat May 16, 2013 at 16:42 #

The runway version looks better to me. What a shame those roses got hacked off, but maybe it was too long for her. Of course she still looks great but the dress lost what made it special.

15. Anne May 16, 2013 at 16:57 #

Love everything about this. I wish instead of the white pump trend, stylists would embrace the yellow pump. They are so refreshing with this dress. Shortening it was so smart for her.

16. Marybeth May 16, 2013 at 16:59 #

I wish that, instead of shortening this to wear at a photocall, she had considered lengthening it to wear as an evening gown.
    She looks great though!

• Roosje May 16, 2013 at 18:01 #

That would have been incredible, I now really want this to be done

17. Vida May 16, 2013 at 17:04 #

I love this! Everyone is saying that she should have left the hem as it was presented but then we would all be saying that it’s too autumnal for Cannes. She made a fall couture dress look so summery! I also love that she’s catching on over-seas, She’s worshipped over here in China. She seems more sincere than Fan Bing Bing!

18. Beta May 16, 2013 at 17:39 #

I love both looks! I hope Zhang Ziyi keeps on apearing in the red carpet wearing stunners :)

19. Alina May 16, 2013 at 17:58 #

I love thiiiis!

20. Dhppy May 16, 2013 at 20:25 #

This is quite stunning.

21. Pablo May 16, 2013 at 20:49 #

Pure and utter Zhang Ziyi magic. Nothing less.

• Cass May 17, 2013 at 01:02 #

Absolute love!

• Prudence May 18, 2013 at 18:50 #

this is actually one of the best looks so far, she looks amazing.

22. Simon May 16, 2013 at 23:11 #

I really don’t like her shorter version, i think it looks MTV VMA, the runway version looked 100x times more event appropriate.

23. Joy May 17, 2013 at 06:28 #

Huge sigh of relief, there’s my girl Zhang Ziyi. I was seriously tramatized by the wig look. She looks beautiful in this dress. This is what I love/expect from her, so feminine & sophisticated and just plain ole girly. All the things I love most about fashion. This is her wheelhouse. Zhang Ziyi please don’t leave it again.

24. Jess2 May 17, 2013 at 13:23 #

Now this is the Zhang Ziyi We know and love! I LOVE this look, the yellow pumps was a stroke of genius. I loved her Dior but this amazing and I agree that this would have been better suited to the Opening ceremony. I too am breathing a sigh of relief about her hair. One of my best dressed of the day.

25. Jess May 21, 2013 at 03:41 #

Aha! But how do you know that the previous style wasn’t her real hair, and that ‘this’ one is the wig?