08.10.12

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Paule Ka – Middle Temple Inn Visit

Like the rest of us, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have put their summer garbs in the attic for more autumnal colours for their Royal visit to the Middle Temple Treasury to launch a scholarship for law students from disadvantaged backgrounds at the Middle Temple Inn in London today.

Catherine wore a Paule Ka maroon skirt suit with a lace top, black tights and black pumps on a miserable day in the capital.

I do like this suit. It’s event appropriate, as always, and I do love the way Prince William has opted for a matchy tie (how very Posh and Becks of them), but I wonder how Catherine’s autumn/winter style will develop over the coming months.

Will she be swapping her nude LK Bennett pumps for black tights and black pumps?

If so I don’t know how I’m going to cope.

Credit: Getty

Mary Elizabeth Winstead In Erdem - 'Smashed' Hamptons Film Festival Screening

Mary Elizabeth Winstead In Erdem – ‘Smashed’ Hamptons Film Festival Screening

Sienna Miller In Sea NY -  Variety's Performers Brunch

Sienna Miller In Sea NY – Variety’s Performers Brunch

23 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Paule Ka – Middle Temple Inn Visit

1. Dolly October 8, 2012 at 18:09 #

I think the skirt is a bit too short and the hair could do with a change. Otherwise it’s same as always, safe and boring

2. robert October 8, 2012 at 18:22 #

She either dresses like an old lady or a little girl. The jacket and color are lovely, but the skirt and black tights destroy this look. It’s a rather juvenile outfit.

3. EmmaWoodhouse October 8, 2012 at 18:26 #

Love the suit–the autumnal color is great–but while I’m OK with the tights once, let’s not make this a trend! The skirt is a bit short for her without the tights, so maybe that’s why she chose them. Her hair looks lovely as always.

• Fashion Critic October 8, 2012 at 18:27 #

I fear it will be a trend

• noo October 10, 2012 at 00:26 #

I think catherine will move on to boots from now on! she ususally wears boots in winter and they suit her style more than this.

4. LeeAnn October 8, 2012 at 18:44 #

Awful awful awful.

The black tights and shoes are too jarring- grey would have worked better.
    The hair and makeup boring. The skirt is too short and the jacket looks wrong although I know it is by Paula Ka.

The colour is nice.

5. Mrs. A October 8, 2012 at 18:45 #

We’ve seen everything already. Why the need for tights?

• Anita October 9, 2012 at 17:12 #

*DEAD*

6. Fede October 8, 2012 at 18:50 #

I don’t hate the tights, I hate all the rest, from hair to shoes.
    Queen Elizabeth looks more young probably…

7. Yeliz October 8, 2012 at 18:55 #

I like the suit and that’s all.

8. Amy October 8, 2012 at 19:53 #

I like the suit, the skirt is a bit too short but with the tights it looks appropriate.
    About the black shoes+tights I’m afraid you’re going to need a therapist Fashion Critic, because we all know that’s what she’s going to wear

• Fashion Critic October 8, 2012 at 20:07 #

So true

• Anita October 9, 2012 at 17:16 #

We might as well call this “Winter Kate #1″ I’m guessing WK#2 will be a navy suit, WK#3 will be beige + her nude LK shoes.

At this point I’ve given up caring that she’ll become more adventurous – “nice” + “event appropriate” is her middle name.

9. Violetta Parr October 8, 2012 at 21:15 #

I do like the pikaboo lace from underneath her jacket! :)

• noo October 10, 2012 at 00:28 #

she wore this to christmas lunch with the queen in 2011! all that could be seen in the photos was the color and some peekaboo lace. it drove me nuts trying to figure out what she was wearing, i’m glad she solved it :D

10. Marybeth October 8, 2012 at 22:24 #

I think she looks best with her hair up, when she goes for the slender, graceful, refined look.
    The “problem,” of course, is that she has drop-dead gorgeous hair, so one can hardly blame her for wearing it down most of the time.
    But I think this hair style doesn’t work as well with her rather conservative wardrobe. It makes her simultaneously look a bit too young and a bit too old.

I’m not sure if I’m making any sense here!

11. Saree October 8, 2012 at 22:41 #

I think she should cut her hair by at least a quarter of its length or even half. I think she would look nice – whilst her long hair always looks nice, it can sometimes look a bit messy or to much cause she never changes it – if she cuts her hair we could at least tell the difference between a photo taken today and one 2 years ago.

12. Vee October 8, 2012 at 23:02 #

I am sorry. This looks like a really bad private school uniform. This ages her and makes her look like an unfasionable teen at the same time. Quite a feat. Dowdy dowdy dowdy.

• Lisa October 9, 2012 at 00:49 #

I agree- so drab. Hated all of it the minute I saw it.

13. molly October 8, 2012 at 23:11 #

She doesn’t seem to understand the concept of proportions, does she? The skirt is far to short for a grown women- it reminds me of a school girl uniform- and the jacket is too small. Her tights are unattractive as are the shoes.
    Kate really needs to style her hair differently, its untidy and there is nothing fabulous about it when its blowing all over the place and she cant keep it off her face.

14. Christine October 9, 2012 at 02:19 #

Appropiate.

15. hero October 9, 2012 at 15:17 #

I hate that skirt…too short ..either a pencil skirt or a longer A-line would be so much cuter….and more appro[riate for someone in her position who is not a teenager anymore!!!

16. Elaine2 October 13, 2012 at 16:09 #

Well at least she wasn’t wearing her grotesque wedges. Knowing her, she’ll probably find some winter version of those dreadful ones she wore during the Olympics. Ugh.

But wait……..in the days after these photos were taken, she was wearing her dated black suede boots that she’s worn for years (and they looked it, too). Black tights. FC, you are going to need some therapy – can I join you?

This suit is all kinds of wrong. For a ‘royal’, the skirt is too short. The sleeves on the jacket are too short also. It looks juvenile, not refined and classy. The black tights with the shoes and this suit is jarring – I agree with the poster that something in the gray family would have looked better.

The curtain of hair is tiresome, but my guess is we can expect to see it for at least a few more years. Seems like a security blanket for her.

I will end my comment with some positive observations: 1) glad she is fully clothed, and 2) burgundy looks good on her.