06.02.12

Madonna In Givenchy Couture – Super Bowl XLVI Half-time Show

This morning I was still up at 1am watching the Superbowl on BBC1 for the first time in my life.

It wasn’t to see the Giants triumph over the Patriots; it was to take in Madonna’s half-time performance – and to see what she was wearing, of course.

She didn’t disappoint in either department.

Madge arrived on the field flanked by burly men in gladiator customs and dancers in Jeremy Scott for Adidas tracksuits as she gave an epic performance of ‘Vogue’.

Her entire couture wardrobe was designed by Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy Haute Couture.

She kick-started the fashion parade wearing a dramatic cape embroidered with gold metal cut-out pieces, studs, crystals, sequins and paillettes and lined in leopard-print chiffon.

Once the cape dropped, she continued the Egyptian theme by revealing a black mini dress worn with a studded belt, a short cape and custom Miu Miu thigh-thigh black-and-gold boots.

Throughout the performance of ‘Music’, ‘Express Yourself’ and her brand new single ‘Give Me All Your Luvin’, which she performed with Nicki Minji and M.I.A, the cape, Philip Treacy headpiece and belt were removed.

An embellished black coat with shiny black rectangular sequins and micro pearls completed a trio of looks for her spine-tingling performance of ‘Like A Prayer’ with Cee-Lo Green.

Givenchy fingerless leather opera gloves and Bulgari earrings were worn throughout her performance.

Twitter was abuzz last night as everyone was saying that Madonna looked a lot like Italian Vogue Editor-In-Chief Franca Sozzani.

The resemblance is uncanny.

Credit: Sketches courtesy of Givenchy & Getty

Taylor Swift's Goldsign Lure Mid Rise Leggings Style Jeans

Taylor Swift’s Goldsign Lure Mid Rise Leggings Style Jeans

Rachel McAdams' Guiseppe Zanotti Contrast Toe Pumps

Rachel McAdams’ Guiseppe Zanotti Contrast Toe Pumps

26 Responses to Madonna In Givenchy Couture – Super Bowl XLVI Half-time Show

1. robbie February 6, 2012 at 09:49 #

she looks FANTASTIC! dare i say the best she has looked in a long time. like a modern day cleopatra mixed with a little queen amidala from star wars.

i do find it funny though as kylie fans/freaks are saying she is copying kylie.

• Fashion Critic February 6, 2012 at 09:54 #

Copying Kylie? That is as ricidulous as people saying shes copying GaGa.

Please forget that Madonna came first and inspired both ladies.

• Martin February 6, 2012 at 10:42 #

From the moment that Madonna’s dancers rolled in and the gladitorial theme became apparent, I just knew that rabid Kylie fans would be saying she ripped off the glittering gladiator/goddess theme from Kylie’s 2011 Aphrodite tour.

This constant Madonna vs Gaga vs Kylie comparison thing is just getting so wearisome. Get over it people, there is no such thing as an original idea any more when it comes to the world of pop music. Next topic …

• BeatofA February 6, 2012 at 11:58 #

oh no i think what people referring to is that it took on a grecian theme which was most recently used by kylie on her Aphrodite album. I wouldnt go as far as copying but there was a clear influence at least during the first vogue part.

• Fashion Critic February 6, 2012 at 12:01 #

Ok. Now i understand

2. Martin February 6, 2012 at 09:50 #

I’m thinking Franca probably has a couple more wrinkles than Madonna just quietly, but her hair was freakily Sozzani-esque. The Givenchy cape looks truly incredible in the sketch, but much of the detail was lost amongst the theatrics of last night’s show. For me, the strongest look – the middle look – was worn during the weakest part of the entire performance but on the whole I think she wore each of the looks quite well. And that headpiece was truly spectacular.

3. Emi February 6, 2012 at 09:55 #

I thought that she looked like Franca Sozzani, too. The costumes were amazing, but I think that they reminded a bit of Versace’s style. I didn’t like the performance, anyway. The new single could be good for somebody of the age of Miley Cyrus.

4. mandy February 6, 2012 at 11:41 #

The entourage is impressive. But the outfits does not impress me.

5. Mario February 6, 2012 at 11:58 #

Lol, the first thing I thought when I saw her was: Oh my God, why did they get Franca to replace Madonna?! She really does look like her in the hair&makeup department. I did adore the performance, I thought it was one of the grandest performances of the 21st century but the wardrobe fell a little flat for me. As someone mentioned above they really did look Versace-ish.

6. Alina February 6, 2012 at 12:12 #

She does look like Franca.

I thought the wardrobe could have been better. They are stunning pieces, but I’m not quite sure they’re right for a performance.

7. mm February 6, 2012 at 12:43 #

Madonna looked great. I was more impressed with the stage production than her performance. I was at a SB party and none of the men liked it.

Celo looked horrible in that robe. OMG

8. dee February 6, 2012 at 13:33 #

I thought Madonna looked great but her performance was kinda weak. I loved the stage through.

• Fashion Critic February 6, 2012 at 13:38 #

Had it be Rihanna I would have said the same, but Madonna is in her 50s. An allowance has to be made for that surely.

• AW February 6, 2012 at 14:17 #

I agree with you, the performance was pretty geriatric. Although I like the clothes, the black “robe” looks sloppily sewn together.

I could’ve done without her all together. Bring on someone more current.

• ami February 9, 2012 at 13:19 #

The black robe would have looked better on a taller person.

9. EmmaWoodhouse February 6, 2012 at 14:11 #

Not impressed by her. Never am. I just find her looks so costumey and I don’t like her persona.

• Linda February 6, 2012 at 14:40 #

I feel the same way almost all the time. One time I did find her interesting was when she wore that blue and red Vionnet in Venice for W.E., I thought she looked great.

10. Jess2 February 6, 2012 at 15:03 #

Didn’t love her performances but I cannot deny that the woman can move. I did love the back up dancers though, especially that guy on the tightrope. Anyway, I do love the second look with the black mini dress and accents.

11. andrea February 6, 2012 at 15:54 #

She continues to prove why she is the queen of pop music. All hail the queen…..

12. Rebecca Z February 6, 2012 at 18:53 #

The middle look is spectacular–the big gold cape and the big black coat I can do without–the black coat was so stiff and didn’t move at all. A combination of Madonna and superbowl is bound to be entirely grandiose, and the singers never sound very good out there in that huge stadium with a set and sound system that have to be whisked on and off. That said, it was quite a spectacle and Madonna continues to be the queen of reinventing herself.

13. Amanda February 6, 2012 at 19:01 #

I thought the same thing. She looked just like Franca Sozzani. I didn’t mention it while I was watching the game because everyone around me would’ve been like ‘Who?’ I felt like such a fashion-obsessed person for making that observation :-)

• Fashion Critic February 6, 2012 at 19:18 #

lol…that is how I always feel which one of the reasons I started this blog in the first place :)

14. Andy February 6, 2012 at 20:05 #

I love the sketches, too!! I can see some Symbolist influences in them, particularly Klimt.

15. REGINA February 6, 2012 at 20:26 #

She looks like Maude from The Big Lebowski in the dream sequences.

16. mikeijames February 7, 2012 at 12:30 #

givenchy has performed miracles under riccardo tisci! madonna has never looked better!!!!

17. Jones19 February 7, 2012 at 19:47 #

She didn’t sing Express Yourself…anyway I loved the performance and the egyptian themed outfits were amazing.