Emma Watson In Prabal Gurung – 2013 Met Gala

Emma Watson In Prabal Gurung - 2013 Met Gala

Emma Watson finally broke her run of wearing mini printed dresses when she took to the red carpet on Monday evening for the 2013 Met Gala in New York City.

The British actress opted for a New York based designer, wearing a Prabal Gurung custom made gown inspired by the Fall 2013 collection.

Her silk crepe satin gown with cut-outs and a thigh high slit shows an even more confident side to the young actress. She really does love to show off those legs.

Black Rupert Sanderson ‘Selma’ t-bar pumps, Fred Leighton earrings including a diamond stud and a diamond and black enamel dart pendant earring and a simple bun completed her look.

Do you like that Emma continues to have fun with fashion or is this too revealing for you?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

52 Comments
Taylor Swift In J. Mendel - 2013 Met Gala

Taylor Swift In J. Mendel – 2013 Met Gala

Blake Lively In Gucci Première -  2013 Met Gala

Blake Lively In Gucci Première – 2013 Met Gala

52 Responses to Emma Watson In Prabal Gurung – 2013 Met Gala

1. mandy May 7, 2013 at 07:34 #

Love it baby. LOVE IT ! Another fashion rebel and she ALWAYS looks good. However i am wishing for a “badder” footwear.

2. Ariadne May 7, 2013 at 07:35 #

I think this dress is just perfect for the punk theme of the Met Gala. It’s not too ‘Halloween’ but she’s not playing it safe either. I love this.

• Yeliz May 7, 2013 at 07:38 #

I agree completely. I love this too.

• Vic May 7, 2013 at 12:43 #

+1 I love it too

• Adrian May 8, 2013 at 03:18 #

3. Aline May 7, 2013 at 07:40 #

Not even the insanely amount of cut-outs prevents this dress from being a snoozefest.

• Christine May 7, 2013 at 07:54 #

+1 Hate to admit but true.

• jas May 7, 2013 at 08:00 #

i agree. i think the material looks like jersey so it makes the dress look very dull. i definitely prefer the runway version (without the extra shoulder strap) and the green.
      she does look very pretty though. maybe different shoes would have been better too

• dee May 7, 2013 at 13:18 #

I agree. She could have done more with the styling.

• justme May 7, 2013 at 17:51 #

Exactly. I have to blame the wearer because the dress actually fits the theme without being messy.

• Anj May 7, 2013 at 20:32 #

Totally agree. Not only that, this looks like a child playing dress up. She needs a more intense makeup look.

4. Mandy May 7, 2013 at 07:40 #

I really love this look. A small part of me wishes that she had worn the runway version however, i think she looks fantastic.

• Rashmi May 7, 2013 at 08:04 #

Same here! Its a great look, but a small part of me wishes for the runway version :)

5. Mandy May 7, 2013 at 07:40 #

6. Liz May 7, 2013 at 07:44 #

Very sexy and daring. I think it would’ve fit the punk theme more if there were more edgier accessories. One of those colorful print dresses with funky cutouts would have also been more punk. It’s a great look, which makes me very excited to see what she wears for Cannes.

• Nat39 May 7, 2013 at 17:29 #

I really like this look, so sexy, modern and edgy, but she in fact needed edgier accessories, I totally agree.

• Nat39 May 7, 2013 at 17:31 #

..and more edge in the hair-makeup department too, her styling is a bit too dull considering the theme of the event.

7. alex May 7, 2013 at 07:50 #

Her style has become so boring. she really could have ‘punked’ this up and failed to do so. I think I may have even preferred a printed mini.

8. alex May 7, 2013 at 07:50 #

9. Gabby M May 7, 2013 at 08:11 #

BEST SHOES

• Liz May 7, 2013 at 19:03 #

Agree. Love her shoes, but have you seen the ones Carey Mulligan wore. LOVE those!

10. TL May 7, 2013 at 08:22 #

Usually I love her styles, including red carpets and street styles, but it looks like a little girl wearing her mom’s clothes, not liking it.

11. Ioana May 7, 2013 at 08:33 #

She looks uncomfortable. Maybe she should have stick to her love for patterns.

This is a too “grown up” dress for her.

Sorry, but no.

• Dhppy May 10, 2013 at 20:49 #

She does look like she’s playing dress up. That’s why I don’t think punk accessories would help . She can’t sell this look.

12. Jess2 May 7, 2013 at 08:46 #

Love love love! So glad she didn’t go for printed. Also loving the style of the t bar on the shoe with the strap off to one side.

13. Pene May 7, 2013 at 08:49 #

I am not a fan of a revealing look but she manages to make it not look tacky

14. Alicat May 7, 2013 at 08:56 #

While the dress is hot and it fits her beautifully, it reminds me of Carey Mulligan and her problem with wearing outfits which wear her. This is an amazingly sexy dress which requires a confident, fierce wearer not afraid to vamp it up. Instead, she stands with hands by sides with feet together. Her makeup and hair are bland. The theme was punk so she could really have tried something daring.

• Alicat May 7, 2013 at 08:59 #

**I am imagining this on Miranda Kerr instead of the gown she chose. The asymmetrical cutout and shoulder straps would have flattered her gorgeous figure so much more.

• Parvati May 8, 2013 at 01:38 #

I agree that such a daring dress requires someone confident and fierce. She looks rather awkward in this dress. I also don’t like how she did nothing special with her hair and make-up.

15. L May 7, 2013 at 08:56 #

She could have picked a MUCH MUCH better pair of shoes, especially with the theme of punk. And she needed some statement jewlery, at least a cuff, and that awkward strap that they added just should not be there, it’s a waste of perfectly find satin.

16. Ami May 7, 2013 at 09:07 #

I love it… it could have been “punker” (I agree some daring accessories could have made it much better) but come on, my heart ached just how ordinary most people looked (I mean red-carpet-ordinary). Where was any chaos?

17. Fiona May 7, 2013 at 09:27 #

I love this on her, and whilst I like her shoes very much, perhaps a more daring shoe would have referenced the theme a bit more. I am very glad to see her in something other than a printed mini though.

18. mila May 7, 2013 at 11:15 #

Only Emma Watson could take this dress and make it boring. I’m not sure how she did it but it’s baffling.

19. Anya May 7, 2013 at 11:36 #

Noo! This dress was just screaming for sexy, edgy shoes. I really love the dress and the whole look had so much potential to be more punk.. what a let down :(

20. Amy May 7, 2013 at 11:46 #

this is quite a boring look. Anyway still glad Emma is trying different things

21. gabis May 7, 2013 at 13:34 #

To me this is one of Emma’s worst looks to date. It’s predictable, boring, dull, lackluster and excessively basic for an event like this. The cut-out on the waist only prevents this dress from looking too much like one you can get at H&M or any other fast fashion store. The styling is practically non-existent so we can’t count on it to enhance the overall look.
    The colour and fabric of the runway version are a zillion times better. It’s a shame she opted to change to such a lackluster version.
    “Jennifer Aniston” Award for her.

22. elle May 7, 2013 at 13:49 #

I like her bare make up and hair but the dress was generic, I find the original color on the runway looks more stunning.

23. Pedro May 7, 2013 at 14:04 #

Emma looks perfect!

Love love love

24. fromchi-town May 7, 2013 at 14:06 #

She looks great… but she is not selling it to me. This dress should be worn by the likes of Rosie Huntington… who would have totally worked that dress. But on Emma, it looks a little blah even with all the cutouts.

• Jo May 7, 2013 at 15:02 #

I think it’s because she’s very short – you need a whole lot more leg for this dress.

25. Alina May 7, 2013 at 14:28 #

I find myself really enjoying this look. I think it’s mostly because it is different from what we usually see on her.

26. MaddyEliza May 7, 2013 at 14:40 #

I love it! It’s so creative!! and it’s sexy without being too revealing or vulgar. One of the best dressed!! :)

27. AG May 7, 2013 at 14:40 #

While some are saying this is boring, I actually think this is quite a refreshing look from Emma. For starters, it’s not a printed/structural mini dress and it’s a little more daring and sexy than what she normally wears.

• Liz May 7, 2013 at 19:06 #

Exactly. She’s never worn anything like this before, which makes its interesting. She rarely wears gowns, so I was trying to picture what she may wear for Cannes. I think this is a nice preview.

However, the look definitely is missing something. Darker makeup and more accessories definitely would have sold it more. She should have worn something similar to the Bottega Veneta gown she wore a few years back.

28. Moxie May 7, 2013 at 15:11 #

Beautiful dress, but she’s not working it. There’s a lot of skin showing, but its not too revealing or tacky. She could have added a few punk elements to fit in with the theme. Black alone is not punk.

29. EmmaWoodhouse May 7, 2013 at 15:39 #

I don’t like the cutouts, I could have dealt with the slit since it doesn’t go too high on her. I love the lush material (better in green though) but overall am not wowed.

30. Marybeth May 7, 2013 at 15:45 #

She looks good!
    I think this is a wonderful effort by Emma to step out of her box and reference the theme, even if an edgier shoe or perhaps a punkish piece of jewelry would have made it better.

The dress is revealing but not exactly curve-enhancing. Indeed, the bodice (what there is of it) makes her look rather flat-chested and boyish, which prevents the look being TOO sexy. She brings the feminine appeal with her beautiful face and legs.

31. Rachel May 7, 2013 at 16:26 #

The dress looks cheap. I had higher expectations for her!

32. hunter rg May 7, 2013 at 18:32 #

inspired by Gaultier’s Nicole Kidman in her Oscar’s night, too plain for her age

33. sammy May 7, 2013 at 21:41 #

*yaaaaawn*!!! She’s such a sweetheart and this is a badass dress and that’s not a good combination

34. Angela May 8, 2013 at 04:25 #

This disappoints me because the dress and shoes are so rebellious and cutting-edge but the overall look comes off as minimalist. I’m looking for some sexy cat eyes with a burst of color as well as a colorful clutch and then were back in business.I love Prabal Gurung, but I’m underwhelmed.

35. TeaAtTwo May 8, 2013 at 15:26 #

I usually hate cuts especially around the midriff but I actually like this on her maybe because of the event. I agree with the others about needing stronger make-up, accessories and attitude to really make it work.