05.07.12

Stéphane Rolland Fall 2012 Couture

The Stéphane Rolland Fall 2012 Couture show started nearly an hour late (more on that later) but it was worth the wait.

Inspired by illustrations from David Downtown and furniture designer Maria Pergay, Cheryl Cole’s favourite couturier sent models down the runway in breath-taking long crepe de chine and satin Oscar- and most definitely Cannes-worthy gowns.

On a colour palette of burgundy, warm browns, black and ivory, each piece was extremely unique with beautiful accents such as feathers, silicone white slices and what looked liked clear kryptonite.

Signature draped fabrics gave the collection a very whimsical feel. I always love how the trains and long capes billow as the models storm the runway.

Accessories included belts with gold hardware, very sexy platform heels and over-the-knee boots.

After featuring Nieves Alvarez on my blog recently, it was a delight to see her take to the runway wearing a chic black suit with a built-in cape and plunging neckline.

My heart lifted when Fan Bingbing, the designer’s muse, took to the runway.

She looked breathtaking wearing an ivory sleeveless gown with a cape embellished with silicone slices.

This was about the time when the reason the show started so late turned up: Kanye West and Kim Kardashian.

As a ‘designer’ you would’ve thought Kanye would show some respect for a real designer and show up on time.

I honestly don’t understand why they were invited in the first place. If you google Stephane Rolland, the news is that the couple upstaged the show who arrived 5 minutes before the end – hardly a word on the clothes.

If Kanye and Kim were invited to ensure headlines, they did, but at the detriment of designer.

Click here to see the whole collection.

Who I Want To See Wearing This Collection: Florence Welch, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, Beyonce Knowles, Cheryl Cole, Karolina Kurkova, Paz Vega, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Angelina Jolie and Eva Green

Credit: WWD & Backstage images below to Red Carpet Fashion Awards

Who Wore Equipment Better? Miranda Kerr or Jennifer Hudson

Who Wore Equipment Better? Miranda Kerr or Jennifer Hudson

Christian Louboutin Unveils The Cinderella Shoe

Christian Louboutin Unveils The Cinderella Shoe

48 Responses to Stéphane Rolland Fall 2012 Couture

1. Alina July 5, 2012 at 10:47 #

Stunning collection!

My favourite was this dress : http://www4.pictures.stylebistro.com/it/Stephane+Rolland+Fall+2012+VOcbbSp7I0al.jpg . I would looove to see it on Zoe Saldana.

• Rash July 5, 2012 at 11:43 #

+1 !

2. Pablo July 5, 2012 at 10:49 #

Amazing collection, probably one of the (if not the) best of the week! :D

Wont even bother commenting on the two dreadful guests (to me, clearly a PR mistake).

The venue looks incredible, was it a church or something?

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2012 at 10:54 #

It was huge mistake. I backfired big time and was really embarrassing.

It wasn’t in a church, but all the venues do look like churches because of their historic nature and architecture

• Sea July 5, 2012 at 19:25 #

Dear FC in my eyes your calling them out isn’t a mistake, so please don’t feel embarrassed about it. :) They are nobody here in the States, not to mention in Europe. It is what it is, and they are the ones that should feel embarrassed. Hugs.

• Johnny July 6, 2012 at 02:13 #

FC:
        Knowing how the strategically planned PR is and how brilliant the Kardashian machine has been manufactured. I think this was completely all planned, tardiness included.

Bad press is still good press. And their tardiness brought Stephane’s names to mass commercial blogs like Perez and JustJared as well as on Entetaient Tonight, E News, etc.

I feel that this tactic, although disrespectful to editors, brought noticablity to such an extraordinary designer who hasn’t received enough recognizition for his work. In the end, a possible very smart and savvy PR move.

• Fashion Critic July 6, 2012 at 07:13 #

Reading your comment, you are probably right.

They managed to get to Valentino and other shows on time and this news did go global.

I guess Cheryl Cole wearing his gowns during Cannes wasn’t getting him the exposure he needed. And you are right, very undervalued for his outstanding work.

• Rash July 6, 2012 at 10:59 #

Well frankly even that backfired…The good press became worse for the designer..
            The Press had only onw thing to say and that was Kim’s black essemble and not a word about his designs!!!!

I hope he realizes his PR mistake, because this was a shame for his brilliant work..

3. Rash July 5, 2012 at 10:53 #

That breathtaking pic of Fan will be sitting in my memory for a longg time ! It completely bowled me over! Supper love <3
    Loved the other dresses too , would love to see someone take on the third dress in some major red carpet !
    Lastly, sad that even if I search for Fan Bingbing in Stephane Rolland , I get news featuring Kim and Kayne ! Disgusting !!

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2012 at 10:56 #

“””sad that even if I search for Fan Bingbing in Stephane Rolland , I get news featuring Kim and Kayne ! Disgusting !!””” AGREED. Totally disgusting. What should’ve been a moment for Fan and the designer was completely over shadowed by those people.

4. CreoleLady July 5, 2012 at 10:58 #

I’m impressed with how FBB showcases both dress and cape on the runway. Hope to see more Rolland on the red carpet. The tasteless, tacky and disrespectful behavior of KK and KW disgusts.

5. Andreas July 5, 2012 at 11:01 #

Thats a great couture collection. The long white gown/dress is amazing. I´m just wondering how she could walk in such a big and long garment. The fact that the whole audience had to wait that long just because the VIPs don´t respect punctuality is shameful!

6. Ade July 5, 2012 at 11:18 #

OMG, she looks ten feet tall. Such a breathtaking collection, that photo of her is going on my Phone’s wallpaper. And for Kanye and the other one, I too share your frustration. But the one thing you have to keep in mind is that for those of us who actually love fashion, they didn’t upstage anyone. They have everything at their disposal yet everyone else who had to walk or take a cab or public transit got there on time, what’s their excuse?

7. Jess2 July 5, 2012 at 11:28 #

My jaw dropped when I saw the photo of Fan. There are just no words and no word is sufficient. Love the collection! Kanye and Kim are so unbelievably rude. I have a suspicion they planned it that way to get the attention.

Thank you so much for your photos FC, I really appreciate and love getting to see some behind the scenes stuff :D hope it has been amazing x

8. LOLA July 5, 2012 at 12:01 #

How rude Kimye are. In Paris, nobody like Kim K. Here in France, she’s a kind of cheap and vulgar celebrity. Some fashion critics when they’re panning a show use her as a reference.
    She’s only invited at the shows because of Kanye. So it’s beyond rude. SHAME ON THEM.

Fan bingbing is a goddess.

9. pc July 5, 2012 at 12:11 #

my God fan bing bing looks stunning She is the real fashion darling.And for kimye you just so direspectful yuck!

10. Rosalie July 5, 2012 at 12:18 #

Had she worn that on the redcarpet, this would have taken BDOTY no question

11. dee July 5, 2012 at 14:13 #

Love the sheer black gown with the whote detailing at the top. Love Fan’s gown and she looks stunning in it.

12. Fiona July 5, 2012 at 14:13 #

OMG FC!!! You’re so lucky to be invited to these shows!! Do you know where I can view the collection in full since STUPID Style.com doesn’t have Stephane Rolland yet? So stupid to invite Kanye and Kim, such attention whores, and think they can arrive whenever they want.

13. Ana Kay July 5, 2012 at 14:20 #

That’s a major OMG moment from Fan! She usually looks dramatic in a pretty way, but this is so strong, so beautiful! Breathtaking!!

14. EmmaWoodhouse July 5, 2012 at 14:47 #

Though not every piece is my style, the collection is amazing and there are so many stunning looks! I LOVE that picture of Fan on the runway–just jaw-dropping.
    I can’t even bring myself to comment on the classlessness of Kanye and Kim Kartrashian.

15. Yeliz July 5, 2012 at 14:47 #

I’m absolutely in love with this collection and I can’t even pick a favourite. All the looks are a piece of art.
    And Fan looks drop-dead gorgeous. So enchanting. It was one of the best closings in a runway show.

• Yeliz July 5, 2012 at 14:51 #

And I don’t even bother to comment on those two people, who really had no respect towards a Couture designer. I’m also very annoyed that they were even invited.

16. Martin July 5, 2012 at 14:56 #

I can’t help thinking that this whole debacle was actually the fault of Rollande and his PR representatives. The relationship between celebrities and designers is inherently symbiotic – designers loan gowns to celebrities and, in some instances, recruit them to appear on their runways (such as Fan Bingbing here, or Lady Gaga at Mugler or Dita von Teese at Jean Paul Gaultier couture) and in turn those celebrities give designers much-needed oxygen in our fast-paced, celebrity-saturated 24 hour media cycle.

Unfortunately, things like this can backfire. Kanye and Kim were at Valentino as well, and most of the reviews that I read commented only fleetingly on their presence and devoted much more time and space to analysis of what the Valentino team actually presented on the runway. It is unfortunate that designers feel that the only way that they can garner more press attention is by inviting two-bit celebrities such as Kanye and Kim to their shows when the ultimate effect sometimes (and particularly in this case) serves to detract from the very clothes and the vison Rolland was trying to convey here. Kim and Kanye are rude and self-absorbed and have an inflated sense of their own importance. Everyone knows that – why even buy into that in the first place?

Hopefully next time he and his PR team will think twice …

• Beta July 5, 2012 at 17:09 #

Agree, plus having your name associated with reality stars cant be good for a couturier (I hope…)

17. ciro July 5, 2012 at 15:34 #

i want to see that black dress with feathers on one of florence’s performance

18. Nitasha July 5, 2012 at 15:53 #

Is the model in the the first picture Lakshmi Menon? She looks fierce!

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2012 at 16:23 #

yes it is

19. Jessica July 5, 2012 at 16:33 #

WOW! I don’t think I could find words sufficient enough to express the gorgeousness that is Fan Bingbing. Everything about that look is fierce!! Thanks for the inside look into all these shows! :)

20. Beta July 5, 2012 at 17:08 #

omg SO disrespectful!!!
    just who do they think they are !!!!
    ugh

anyways
    Fan BInbing looked amazing !!
    the pieces of this collection are spectacular

21. andrea July 5, 2012 at 17:36 #

This collection is gorgeous!! I love the designer’s vision and I love the drama, so McQueen-esque :-) Not even commenting on the reason for the delay, those two idiots don’t even deserve a keystroke on my Mac haha!!

22. Tuftufwang July 5, 2012 at 18:45 #

I seriously fail to see any positive relationship between Kanye/Kardashian and couture. A very very poor choice of guests indeed. A pity to see an artist’s work tainted by idiots. Fan’s look is absolutely jaw-droppingly gorgeous. It irks me that the couturier’s at is “contaminated” with LC (low class) celebrities.

23. Annemarie July 5, 2012 at 18:47 #

Absolute beautiful! I love these fabulous gowns. Thanks for the pics.

24. MEME July 5, 2012 at 19:02 #

Beautiful collection, he is becoming one of my new favorite designers, his collections are always a hit for me…..

But what was his PR team thinking invitin’ Kumye???…. they are tacky attention whores, of course they would pull some type of stunt to get themselves more attention than the designer’s clothes…. I’m ready for the two of them to fade into obscurity…. no respect at all… when I saw WWD tweet that they came in just before the finale I shook my head….

25. Hannah July 5, 2012 at 23:33 #

I loved this collection, IMO such a fresh, modern, clean take on couture. I hope it gets a few red carpet appearances, they almost always blow me away.
    The Kim & Kanye thing is even worse than that, any time I google anything about couture, at all, that is what comes up. I find it sad that they ruined it for so many other people. Let’s face it Kim, whose occupation is overbearing self-promotion, and “designer” Kanye, who hasn’t made a song since 2009 it seems, think that they are above arriving to a show on time.

26. Jones19 July 6, 2012 at 01:24 #

Oh my gosh that picture of Fan Bing Bing….my heart skipped a beat!

27. Christine July 6, 2012 at 01:27 #

A big moment for Fan. But how cow at them being late. 5 minutes before the end?? How classy.

The collection is one of a kind. Definitely for the risk taker and for the CANNES RC.

28. Grace Patricia July 6, 2012 at 15:24 #

Sublime.

No words for this picture.

29. FF July 6, 2012 at 16:44 #

Whilst it was incredibly rude of Kim and Kanye to show up late, is it really your place to question why they were invited? Why were YOU invited?

• cici July 7, 2012 at 05:01 #

She was invited because she respects fashion and she has professional views on couture designs, I’m sure she respects and admires good designers such as Stephane Rolland too!!!

• CreoleLady July 7, 2012 at 12:11 #

One could ask the same question of you, is it really your place to question why FC was invited. Just sayin’.

• Anne g July 7, 2012 at 15:35 #

You are so rude.

If she was invited, it’s because she loves and respects the world of fashion, unlike Kanye and kim who allow themselves to be late because they know that Stephane Rolland is not yet recognized.
      It’s disrespectful.
      We are in love with fashion, most of us are dreaming of seeing a fashion show of Haute Couture. And when you see the mess, I feel like screaming.

• Fashion Critic July 7, 2012 at 19:58 #

Thank you Cici, CreoleLady and Anne g for your comments.

I think you have all perfectly answered FF that I don’t need to respond :D

30. Luisa July 6, 2012 at 20:49 #

Supposedly, Rolland fitted Kim’s dress the day before the couture show, which she pays him back by showing up late to his show. Never truly loved her as a public figure, but thought she would at least show more respect and class.

31. Provost July 8, 2012 at 21:35 #

I already liked your site Critic, and now I like you even more. I’ve always believed that fashion is art first, and the way people have allowed celebrity interaction to overshadow the art form itself is disheartening.

Celebrities more often than not don’t even go to the trouble to learn the correct pronunciation of designers’ names before they hit the red carpet in their clothes–clothes they were loaned so they could promote the designer. Perhaps we should go back to the days when people with a million dollars have to buy most of their clothes, and they might begin to show more respect.

Keep up the hard work Critic, and as an artist myself I thank you for supporting us.

• Fashion Critic July 8, 2012 at 21:41 #

Thanks for your comments I always get really annoyed when celebs don’t know the name of the designer they wearing too

32. Provost July 8, 2012 at 21:35 #

P.S.: Rolland’s work is incredible, as always.