Menu

February 10, 2011 Runway To Red Carpet

Posted by Catherine Kallon

Carine Roitfeld arrived at the amfAR New York Gala to kick off Fall 2011 Fashion Week event in New York City last night.

The former editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris wore a very bold Givenchy Couture Spring 2011 gown.

This may not be the best picture of Carine, but it’s the best picture of her gown.

In the pictures where she’s smiling the flash had blasted all the detail away.

Here you can see the colour and the wing embroidered detail of her bold shoulder look.

My only complaint here is the gold necklace which you can see under the sheer panel of her gown. It kind of cheapens the look for me.

Credit: Style.com & Sharon Neetles/Globe Photos/ZUMAPRESS.com

NYFW Day 1 - What I Wore Today

NYFW Day 1 – What I Wore Today

Dianna Agron In Vivienne Westwood Red Label - "I Am Number Four" LA Premiere

Dianna Agron In Vivienne Westwood Red Label – “I Am Number Four” LA Premiere

96 Responses to Carine Roitfeld In Givenchy Couture – amfAR New York Gala To Kick Off Fall 2011 Fashion Week

1. Guest May 17, 2019 at 5:21 pm #

Hmmm, I think you have to be completely flatchested to wear that dress. The top of the dress is very unflattering on her, squashing her boobs. Dress is divine, hair and makeup awful.

2. Guest May 17, 2019 at 5:21 pm #

Loved the dress! Very “Black Swan”… I don’t like the necklace, but I truely hate her hair… Even a ponytail would be better than that.

3. Guest May 17, 2019 at 5:21 pm #

Isn’t there another flattering picture of Ms. Roitfeld?

4. Guest May 17, 2019 at 5:21 pm #

I love the dress….period!

5. Guest May 17, 2019 at 5:21 pm #

I completely agree about the necklace. Sometimes people always wear one item of jewelry because it is special to them, no matter what they are wearing. Milla Jovovich does it and so does Kristen Stewart.

6. Guest May 17, 2019 at 5:21 pm #

What a breath taking dress! So dramatic yet so light.
    From the waist down it seems a different print than the one on the model, no? The one on the model seems better, more symmetrical and less busy.
    I’m not sure I understand the hair and make-up choices, They don’t work well with the dress.

7. Guest May 17, 2019 at 5:21 pm #

Love the dress, Love Carine but not together.

8. mari May 3, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

Now these pics make me feel good about going to work with no make up whatsoever once in a while…

Carine (important or not, legend or not) is an influential woman in the world of fashion who wears these incredible gowns that have taken a lot of time to make, or goes to the most important fashion parties with that face (she’s not ugly, but god her skin looks bad!) with not even foundation on,
    One who works in front of others takes the time to look clean, groomed, good not only because of oneself, but as a way to show your respect for others.
    Whatever, she obviously takes the time to care for her body, but she at least should do something to make her face skin seem more even, at least for the sake of the dress, this is distracting.

9. Idealist February 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Okay can we look past the dress 4 now, the lady looks like she’s dying! She looks SO scary in the face. Sorry that’s the nicest way i could put it.

10. b February 12, 2011 at 11:02 am #

Must be the only one loving this.

She’s Carine friggin Roitfeld. She doesn’t need any makeup.

11. bludog February 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Mutton dressed as lamb – or “no spring swan”, that one.

12. mikeijames February 11, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

is there any better way to declare one’s relevance than by wearing one of the most exhilarating gowns from the latest couture season HOT off the runway? she might not be AT vogue, but she has proven she’s still IN vogue.

13. KateS February 11, 2011 at 11:16 am #

Dreadful from the neck up, but I think the necklace and squashed chest are even worse. Terrible interpretation of a stunning dress.

14. Chiara February 11, 2011 at 6:25 am #

The dress is missing its ethereal factor on her… It doesn’t even look transparent :(, what a let down.

15. mochababe73 February 11, 2011 at 2:43 am #

Not a fan of Carine Roitfeld, but she has the attitude to carry this look off.
    I know that this may not be popular, but Carine always looks a hot mess from the neck up. It’s like she’s on some very good pharmaceuticals.

16. pipsqueak February 11, 2011 at 2:30 am #

Amazing dress! Amazing Carine! I agree with one of the readers – Carine is one of a kind. She seems very Parisian – she clearly works out rather than letting her waistline go, but she also stays somewhat au naturale, unlike American celebrities so addicted to plastic surgery. I love the dress – stunning. I don’t like her new hair style or color.

17. mandy February 11, 2011 at 2:18 am #

The dress is so gorgeous! But she look like a hot mess.. y is her hair always all over her face?

18. Alicat February 11, 2011 at 12:23 am #

The gown is a work of art, but unfortunately Ms Roitfeld is not doing it justice in any sense. While I understand she has a particular look, the hair falling over her face and dark makeup is so wrong for this gown. She is certainly slim enough to wear the gown, but the flat droopiness of her chest is altogether unflattering. For someone with so much fashion knowledge this is a disaster. Now Cate Blanchett in this gown would be perfection…

19. bec February 10, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

Ugggggh everytime I see her I just want to go to town on her with some exfoliator!! Her skin looks so dead and dirty! Yuck!!

The dress is amazing though! 🙂

20. Katey February 10, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

Where is Carine’s Make-up????

21. Alfie February 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

Oh lord. Yeah since she was editor in chief of VP one would assume she would look great, sadly no.

She looks like she’s been smoked up. This is what I would recomend for her. Get an exfoliator and use it quick! Then a good oxygen facial. Someone have her chug down gallons of water as well so her skin could be moist. Get her a great makeup artists and get some foundation on. Then someone get her a brush and give some volume to her hair and comb it out of her face. A nice updo would be great. Some color on her lips would help as well. Remove the sleeves off the dress, pull the dress up or add in more detail in the chest area, remove the necklace, get her some higher heels, SMILE and that’s it I think.

• siem February 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

alfie, you are amazing i agree totally

22. Linda February 10, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Beautiful collection, absolutely stunning. I don’t like it on Carine though.

23. Nia February 10, 2011 at 8:51 pm #

Very Black Swan-esque, but not in a good way.

24. Camille February 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

the dress is beautiful, but it is such a mismatch on this woman. It is dramatic gown yes, but in an ethereal and youthful way. She looks like someone you’d come across in a bar, chain smoking and smearing lipstick on her glass of scotch. She should be wearing black leather and a clutch that doubles as a weapon. Scary… but the dress would be divine on someone else…Cate Blanchett or Nicole Kidman maybe.

25. Lee Ann February 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

If Ziggy Pop wore couture….just saying

• JJovana3 February 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

LMFAO!!!! Thank you for that.

God she looks awful.

26. Estranged February 10, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

I just love this collection and Carine looks confident and stylish. I don’t think many women her age would choose such a dress and look that great!

27. cindy February 10, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

I am sincerely crushed….That givenchy collection is just pure perfection, it is sooooo beautiful but I’m gonna have to clean my eyes with purex to forget about that mess. The hair, the make up, the squashed chest….it is wrong in so many ways. It’s almost disrespectful from her to look like such a mess in a couture gown like that. I’m going to lay in bed and cry lol!

• LizLemooooon February 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

My thoughts exactly. That Givency collection is the air that I breathe and Carine has totally ruined it. I’m disappointed in her.
      I’m going too lie down too hahaha

28. Amber February 10, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

I think she looks like Ozzy Osbourne in a dress. She’s always looked rather old and unkempt to me, but this takes the cake!

29. Laura February 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Such a bold look, but that necklace isn’t right. Keep it simple with a dress like this, and let the dress do all the talking.

30. Vidhya February 10, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

drag queen??? love the dress….. Givenchy understand couture

31. Jones19 February 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Her boobs look smushed and saggy, not a good look but I think the dress is heavenly on the runway.

32. Laura February 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

The hair is awful. For such an amazing gown, she looks like she just rolled out of bed. A piece of art such as this deserves more effort in the than that lazy daytime hairdo. It really brings the whole look down.

33. Alina February 10, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

This is bad.

34. Marianna February 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

35. Betty Brandenburg February 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

36. JJovana3 February 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

She is one SCARY looking woman!! SO much tan, she’s starting to look like an old leather couch. And I will NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER forgive her for RUINING that Givenchy dress. My eyes cant stop bleeding. Pure horror.

37. Sara B. February 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

This woman always looks like an expensively dressed extra in a zombie movie. I don’t understand her hair and makeup at all.

38. Matt February 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

Beautiful dress but shame about the lightning, she doesn’t look good around the face.

• Hannah February 10, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

I agree. It is a sad letdown, she looks like she hasn’t washed her face in ages, like she needs a good facial or at least exfoliator. The dress is beyond beautiful!

39. cartouche February 10, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

looking good from the neck down!

40. mol February 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

What a breath taking gown, but you’re right, the gold locket seems out of place. I love seeing Carine, she’s one of a kind……..

41. D February 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

girls, who would you like to be seen in this dress?

42. Brooke February 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

I know Carine never changes her makeup, but I am disappointed in her haircolor change; the shade is unflattering! Her normal color would’ve worked much better with this look.

That said, what a terrific couture gown!

43. Mindy February 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

Such dramatic dress! I love the dress. But she looks exactly like a dead body!

44. Rafiq February 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

The dress that Carine wore is from look number 9 worn by Fei Fei Sun in the couture collection. Gorgeous dress. Fantastic collection.

45. D February 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

WOW WHAT A DRESSSS!!! but wrong hair and hummmm…

46. Joy February 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

The dress is amazingly beautiful.

47. Leonorah - Alexis February 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Love the dress, Love Carine but not together.

48. Naomi February 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

What a breath taking dress! So dramatic yet so light.

49. Ethne Blist February 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

50. jui ho February 10, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

I love the dress….period!

• jui ho February 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Isn’t there another flattering picture of Ms. Roitfeld?