Menu

December 1, 2010 Red Carpet Trends

Leighton Meester Starts A Menswear Red Carpet Trend

On Monday night Leighton Meester wore a Thom Browne suit on the red carpet to the 2010 Gotham Independent Film Awards.

By Tuesday night many other celebrities had followed suit….see what I did there.

Stylish celebrities including Jessica Alba, Lara Bingle and Winona Ryder were all spotted on the red carpet wearing menswear instead of pretty dress.

The looks ranged from shirtless in Dolce & Gabbana for Jessica, who paired her look with sexy studded Christian Louboutin Pigalle studded pumps and an ivory Christian Louboutin Loulou clutch.

Lara opted to wear a white shirt and black velvet ribbon neck-tie with her peg-legged suit.

Gothic Winona kept her look black on black on black on black.

Her satin lapel Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci suit was paired with a satin clutch and silver pendant necklace.

They all look smart, but the only one who nails this look is Jessica.

Leighton can’t take total credit for this look as Marlene Dietrich and Diane Keaton popularized androgynous-chic a long time ago.

Credit:Getty

Who Wore Marc Jacobs Better? Carey Mulligan or Amanda Peet

Who Wore Marc Jacobs Better? Carey Mulligan or Amanda Peet

Natalie Portman In Christian Dior - "Black Swan" New York Premiere

Natalie Portman In Christian Dior – “Black Swan” New York Premiere

29 Responses to Leighton Meester Starts A Menswear Red Carpet Trend

1. Kaz December 2, 2010 at 9:41 am #

I think Jessica looks fantastic.

This photo of Lara epitomises everything that annoys me about her – bad hair, grubby face/make up, no smile…

2. Marvel December 1, 2010 at 11:34 pm #

I dont know if Im excited about this trend. It’ll be interesting to see how this trend follows.

3. Tahj December 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm #

I don’t think anyone paid attention to Leighton Meister. Most of the young actresses like Rachel Bilson and Jessica Alba have said they were inspired by Diane Keaton as their fashion icon. Lara’s outfit is very chic and reminds me of something keaton or Bianca Jagger would have worn in the 70s. The 70s are in style and say what you will about the way Diane Keaton dresses now, but she looked chic in the 70s.

4. Beata December 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

Winona would look great with different shirt underneath.
    Kristen Stewart should take some notes, give up those hooker dresses and put on something like this, she would look better and I bet feel more confident too,

• Fashion Critic December 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

I agree. Kristen would rock menswear. I’ve been saying that for years

• Tahj December 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

Stewart would look cute in menswear. I like the idea of her wearing a black satin vest and pants look. I think Diane Kruger would rock menswear the best. She would give us a Marlene Dietrich vibe for sure.

5. Hannah December 1, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

Winona Ryder’s look reminds me a little too much of Ozzy Osbourne.

6. moja31 December 1, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

woo that leighton sure has turned the fashion landscape on its head, by doing what women famous and otherwise have been doing for decades. jessica’s look is my favorite here.

7. Kathy December 1, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

omg! please, don’t!
    i hate this kind of looks!

8. Laura December 1, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

Leighton sure did start a trend. But none of these ladies could match Leighton’s fierceness. She started this, and she wore it the best.

• Tahj December 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm #

I disagree that Leighton started it. This was last year’s trend! Last year so many people were sporting menswear and it’s still carrying over.

• Laura December 2, 2010 at 6:41 am #

Didn’t mean Leighton started the trend ever ever. I just meant in the context of the extraordinary amount of menswear as womanswear we’ve seen the last couple days on the red carpet.

• Fashion Critic December 2, 2010 at 7:06 am #

Tahj clearly didn’t understand the point of this post, but you did Laura.

• Julianne December 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

So true.
      Leighton did it best. It was fun and she was really beautiful on it.

9. misschatty December 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

I’m not trying to compare, but when Gossip Girl first aired, Blake wore a few pantsuits herself.

My favourite of the bunch recently is Jessica. I love Leighton but her hair and make-up wasn’t working for me…

10. dee December 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

The only one that looks good in Jessica.

11. manja December 1, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

JA looks best to me,Lara is fine,but her faceis weird and hair awful,and Winona is complete mess.

12. anne December 1, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

Jessica looks the best. VB also wears suits very well.

13. Nikki December 1, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Jessica Alba looks good although I’m not a fan of the shiny material. Lara Bingle looks so so but Winona Ryder looks a mess. I think the Jacket is too long.

I noticed they all wore pumps with their suit, just like Leighton, but I love Leighton’s purple pumps. And she looked better than the rest of them.

14. Lara December 1, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Olivia Wild also wore one yesterday
    between all of them, I like Jessica’s the best

15. Claudia December 1, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

Ok. Can someone pls tell Winona she’s not looking good. It’s the second look I get from her that looks scary. I think she could better her mood.

16. mikeijames December 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm #

and yet none of them pulled it off quite as well as leighton….

17. dinesh December 1, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

jessica looks fantastic as usual, lara’s look is pretty good in my opinion. i think she pulls it off. but sadly winona just looks like a complete mess. it looks terrible.

• noo December 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

winona look slike a rapper going to a funeral

18. Sasha December 1, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

I love Laras look

19. Lisa December 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

Lara’s look is a winner for me.,,if i ignore the alexa chung hair

• mol December 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm #

Ditto

• Clover December 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

I agree. She’s a really pretty girl but she seems to be taking pains to disguise all of her best features.

20. ullis December 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

Leighton’s outfit would have been a lot better if she had skipped the tie! It lacked the feminine touch I think!

Jessica Alba looks stunning…as per usual!