Menu

March 3, 2010 Runway To Red Carpet

Yesterday evening I received a tweet from Kristen saying “Is Carla Bruni wearing the same RM dress that you wore to the BAFTAs?”.

After clicking the link I saw the beautiful Carla Bruni-Sarkozy was wearing the exact same teal green RM by Roland Mouret Fall 2009 gown I had worn to the BAFTAs just last week.

The First Lady of France wore her gown to welcome Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and his wife Svetlana to a state dinner held in their honour at Elysee Palace in Paris.

Carla’s hair was styled into a loose updo which got me thinking that she’s quite clearly taking style tips from me. j/k *winks*

Her look was paired with blue satin Christian Louboutin kitten heels, so she was very much representing French designers last night.

Who knew the First Lady of France and I share the same taste in clothes.

We don’t share the same taste in footwear though. I would never wear kitten heels. *shudders at the thought*

I forgot to say previously that Amber Valletta was the first to wear this gown.

[nggallery id=356]

Credit: Style.com & Zuma Press

Roberto Cavalli Fall 2010

Roberto Cavalli Fall 2010

Runway To “The Stylist Project” Exhibition - Ginnifer Goodwin In Christian Dior

Runway To “The Stylist Project” Exhibition – Ginnifer Goodwin In Christian Dior

56 Responses to Runway To State Dinner At Elysee Palace – Carla Bruni-Sarkozy In RM by Roland Mouret

1. sarahW March 5, 2010 at 9:43 am #

I also have to add that the fabric those shoes is made from makes them look like a pair of my mum’s house slippers, take the heel off and I would wear them with my dressing gown and they would probably look ok…:) Actually they would look better as my dressing gown is blue!

2. Becky March 5, 2010 at 1:20 am #

she isn’t wearing a bra… zoom in!

3. pox March 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

I think it is very unappropriate not to wear a bra when receiving guests as the president’s wife. I agree that there are occasions when it is not absolutely necessarry, even most gowns look better without bra… but if not wearing it on THIS occasion, then when?!
    Regarding the heels, I also think they are very ugly and the feet look a lot bigger and wider. There are so so many beautiful shoes, why not enjoy them? It feels like she is cursed to wear that hidous type of heels, instead of delighting in gorgeaus high heels.
    The “state” women don’t wear high (or very) high heels because it is said (or belived) that they don’t classify in the office style. Although the clothes style are far from that style, I don’t see the insistence.
    The accesories are not necessary, as the dress is very beautiful and elegant on itself. The colour is gorgeous also.

• Fashion Critic March 4, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

She must have been cold because the material of the dress is very thick

4. SarahV March 4, 2010 at 11:50 am #

Gorgeous…
    I think you looked wonderful too, FC!!

5. sarahW March 4, 2010 at 2:05 am #

Just like Nicole Kidman with the kitten heels – urrgghh! For such a formal occassion Carla could have worn a bra

• Ahot March 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm #

lol lol. so true! and iwas close to say this is the first time i lke what she is wearing. Now thinking about those nipples on such an official occasion… .

6. Alice March 4, 2010 at 1:23 am #

As much as I adore Carla, I much prefer your shoe choice. You owned this gown!

7. Pen Pen March 4, 2010 at 1:13 am #

I don’t get the argument with not wanting to towering over a man because when I dress, there are only two things in my mind: the clothes are event appropriate and I MYSELF feel good in it … why should I care of what a man thinks of it.

8. Sharon March 4, 2010 at 12:36 am #

I think one reason women like Carla and Michelle Obama wear kitten heels is because they are tall and don’t want to intimidate shorter men and women at state functions. But I still don’t like the color of these shoes.

9. whitestroke March 3, 2010 at 8:53 pm #

I liked it on that first pic above, but the other shots. Errr. Me no likey from other angles. I never liked this dress on Amber, so you still win.

I wish she wore a bra. I don’t mind nipples, just… it would shape her chest area better. Looks like a poor choice to go without it, especially from the side.

10. Rita March 3, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

I hate hate hate hate those kitten heels

11. The One March 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

i personally think she wears kitten heels so that she’s not too tall for her husband.

12. tom March 3, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

You should do a “Who Wore It Best” for this. I vote for you. 🙂

13. Jenny March 3, 2010 at 5:35 pm #

I think she wore it the best.

14. Elisa March 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm #

isn’t that YOUR dress???
    looked better on you 🙂

15. Willa March 3, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

I know it’s France and everything, but I’m just not ok with a first lady showing nipple during a state dinner. Maybe I’m just a fuddyduddy? And I don’t mind kitten heels, but those particular ones are UGLY.

It definitely looked better on you FC. Much more statuesque.

16. Ally March 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

I liked the dress much better on you, FC. If for no other reason than you remembered your bra!

• Fashion Critic March 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

LOL…never leave home without it

17. Mea March 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

Great dress! And the answer for kitten heels is so simple… Look at her husband! =)

18. zuleyka March 3, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

i think FC wore the dress better..no hard feeling for you carla..

19. Kristen March 3, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Thanks for the mention! It really is a beautiful dress on all three of you ladies. I’m jealous you got to wear it!

• Fashion Critic March 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

thanks Kristen

20. shree March 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

Does this Carla have no shame – flashing her nipples!

• LeeAnn March 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm #

Maybe it was cold

21. Jenny March 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

for me its Amber who wins. I do like her choice of shoes! Carlas shoes are horrible with this elegant dress (height and colour), but I also don’t understand the preference of nude shoes to all opportunities

22. Linda March 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

You and Carla both rocked this dress!

23. Boeshane March 3, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

She wore kitten heels because of her husband. This is really french : our guys are uselessly male chauvinist and we all laugh a lot because he is so short near his model wife.

• whitestroke March 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

Guys who don’t like their women towering over them shouldn’t date women taller than them in the first place. Everyone would be much happier then. This way it just looks like such women are victims of their men’s egos. Marry a petite girl then and be a man.

24. Sukriti Garg March 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

FC u looked loads better than Carla…
    I think someone[;)] who wore this dress at BAFTA’s will win if WWIB poll comes up….

25. Helene March 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

She is obligated to wear kitten heels, because if not she is too tall to compare to Nicolas Sarkozy (it’s true!! she explained that to the TV)

26. robbie March 3, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

kitten heels are pointless, if your not going to wear a mid or high heel they just wear flats. whats the point in having a inch heel on a shoe. especially a louboutin it just hides the sole.

as for the dress, FC you looked fabulous in this dress better than the model, amber and carla.

27. Thomas Monks March 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

you looked better in this gown than her or Valleta.

28. Jasmine March 3, 2010 at 11:08 am #

err… just curious: what do you have against kitten heels, FC?

• Fashion Critic March 3, 2010 at 11:14 am #

I don’t like the height

not sexy at all

• bettybrandenburg March 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

Why does everything have to be “sexy”?

• Regina March 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

Maybe because her hubby has napoleon complex?))
        You looked much better Catherine!

• LeeAnn March 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm #

whoops I better not say hello at Dior on Friday as I am weariing Roger Vivier python kitten heels-mainly because I want to be able to walk

• Fashion Critic March 3, 2010 at 12:57 pm #

LOL…It just my personal preference.

Too be honest I always carry flat in my bag for when I’m travelling between shows.

• robbie March 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

kitten heels arent exactly good for your back according to “experts” higher heels mean you have to have a straight back and stay balanced so you dont fall over, wear as kitten heels you are more likely to not walk with a straight back.

• mm March 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm #

a great argument for never wearing them, LOL

• Jasmine March 3, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

from personal experience, stilettos are very very hard on the knees, kitten heels are much more comfortable. that said, i totally admire women who can work the stiletto 🙂

• whitestroke March 3, 2010 at 8:48 pm #

They are very unflattering on leg. And make the foot appear even longer for some reason. Either flats or heels, I say.

• Pen Pen March 4, 2010 at 1:11 am #

I agree, I hate the awkward height on kitten heels and apparently, all heels are not healthy, so why goes for the less sexy one when you already sacrifice that much to begin with..

• whitestroke March 5, 2010 at 1:46 am #

I’m really tall so I wear flats 99% of the time. Not used to the heels at all. But if there was the occasion for a fancy shoe I’d go for a proper heel even if I broke my neck. Kitten heels should be burned.

29. Lala Vasquin March 3, 2010 at 11:06 am #

Ok 2 comments. She’s tall! Ofcourse she had to wear kitten hills (i admit the shoes are a tad bit ugly)
    Second Comment – I dont understand why Catherine or Carla didnt wear heavy jewelry with the dress. i would have worn a heavy beaded gold necklace with the dress just so it stands out. Is this a bad choice coz to me the outfit looks blah. Help! i just dont see it.

• robbie March 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

just because she is tall doesnt mean she had to wear kitten heels, we all know the reason is because she didnt want to belittle her husband.

the dress is beautiful so it doesnt need to many accessories just some simple elegant pieces.

30. bettybrandenburg March 3, 2010 at 11:00 am #

Kitten and other more wearable heels are back in fashion, the god of bunion prevention be thanked! Too bad that Mrs Sarkozy HAS to wear them always, though – I never understood why le president is married to what is considered a very beautiful woman and then cannot deal with her being taller! Quel dommage!

• Ahot March 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

it´s a man-thing. They can´t bear to have women upstage them. He married her because he can afford it (sic) but she should not shine more than his very big ego.

31. MN March 3, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Do I detect a ” Who wore it better ?” coming up soon? You would probably win, FC!!

32. Stuti March 3, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Hah! You rocked this gown better than anyone else, FC. Don’t you just love it when you trump the Firt Lady of France AND Amber-Goddess-Valletta? You win. 😀

• mm March 3, 2010 at 11:28 am #

I agree totally

33. shubby doo March 3, 2010 at 10:48 am #

just want to say carla, amber and you all look hot in this dress. simply stunning!

34. Lizzie March 3, 2010 at 10:24 am #

I trust you will be doing a “Who wore it better” poll?!!!

• wilwarin March 3, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

oh please do the poll FC 😀 i think you own this dress… sorry carla 🙂

35. Teresa March 3, 2010 at 10:23 am #

Amber’s hair is way to server for the dress and I prefer your nude pumps to blue kitten heels. she looks good until u look at her feet though