Menu

January 24, 2010 Runway To Red Carpet

2010 SAG Awards – Anna Paquin In Alexander McQueen

Most Surprising Award
I never expected to see the Alexander McQueen Spring 2010 collection much on the red carpet, let alone a major event like the SAG Awards, but it was a pleasant surprise.

I can imagine Joan Rivers slating this dress on E! Fashion Police next week, but she would never ‘get’ this look.

I personally can’t get enough of her sexy reptile print mini which she pairs with black and gold trimmed Pierre Hardy platform sandals.

Anna’s become the dark horse of awards season.

I’ve spent my time looking out for Carey Mulligan, when it Anna who’s making all the waves.

Do you approve of this edgy look on the SAGs red carpet?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

2010 SAG Awards - Kate Hudson In Emilio Pucci

2010 SAG Awards – Kate Hudson In Emilio Pucci

2010 SAG Awards - Deborah Ann Woll In Gustavo Cadile

2010 SAG Awards – Deborah Ann Woll In Gustavo Cadile

40 Responses to 2010 SAG Awards – Anna Paquin In Alexander McQueen

1. RedHeadFashionista February 9, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

This is (True) Blood-y amazing. Combined with Anna’s luminous skin and hair, and a unique coolness that I can’t compare to anyone (though I’m tempted to say a Gyllenhaal-Stewart fusion) Anna looks straight off the catwalk.

• Fashion Critic February 9, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

I like that fusion.

Moody without being miserable.

2. DM January 26, 2010 at 1:36 am #

HOT HOT HOT!!! She looks awesome! One of my favs at this event! I do however think that it might not exactly be event-appropriate…she’s walking a very thin line. It would definitely be better suited for the Grammys then the SAGs, it would be more appropriate for this event if it were longer, but i love it anyway!

3. Ally January 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

I love that the McQueen collection is getting so much play on the redcarpet and I think Anna looks great. But I kind of have to agree with those that said it isn’t quiet event appropriate. BUT I’m going to let it slide b/c she really does look great. 🙂

4. Jasmine January 25, 2010 at 9:09 am #

Really like it, and am really getting to like Anna Paquin’s style. She doesn’t go for pretty-pretty, but chooses things with a bit of edge, which really suits her – which is why I also loved her in the Stella dress which wasn’t totally conventional. What I don’t get is her choice of fiancée. One thing Stephen Moyer (aka ‘Bill’) doesn’t have is any edges.

5. Ksenia January 25, 2010 at 8:38 am #

There is no doubt she looks marvelous. From head to toe – perfection. Can’t belive that this Anna who was known only as Rogue before the True Blood. Oh, thank you vampire boom.

6. Ashley January 25, 2010 at 5:24 am #

She looks amazing!

7. mochababe73 January 24, 2010 at 11:58 pm #

Love the dress, but I don’t think that it is fitting for the Red Carpet of the SAG Awards. If she were going out with her girlfriends to a club, movie premiere, or even dinner/lunch, it would be perfect.

8. jkrau January 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm #

AMAZING! I always love the SAG awards because they’re a more relaxed atmosphere so people take chances and end up looking fantastic!

I think her hair really nice balances the dress, and the shoes are great too. For once, a home run for Anna!

9. Kimmy January 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm #

I love it! And wow, Anna is so edgy! She usually gives us that classic, conservative style, but this one she’s just amazing, total knock out.

On another note, this dress doesn’t really fit the award shoes red carpet category. This is more like grammy’s or movie premiere. But she looked so beautiful, I don’t mind it at all.

10. Isabella January 24, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

OMG, Anna is oozing and very edgy …. the dress is perfect and Anna in the dress isperfect too, however she should’ve save this to another event, because it’s a major event, like golden globe, so the dress is inappropriate, despite the fact of Anna Paquin was knocking out!

11. Leslie January 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

LOVE the McQueen, but didnt she already wear THE SAME shoe @ Golden Globes?? ;(

• Fashion Critic January 24, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

those shoes were Stella McCartney

• Terry January 25, 2010 at 11:36 pm #

In this case, she was wearing Pierre Hardy platform sandals.

• Fashion Critic January 26, 2010 at 12:23 am #

thanks

12. Naomi January 24, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

I love this look, it’s so fresh. Plus these colors look great on her!

13. Jody January 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

I totally loved the dress!!! I feel it was appropriate for the SAGs. This is not the Oscars or the Golden Globes. A lot of people have never even heard of the SAG Awards.

She looked just stunning.

14. sara January 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

BDTW please?
    she glows in that dress

15. kat January 24, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

I totally love the dress, but not particulary love Anna in it. I think that her hairstyle is way too boring for such an amazing dress. Neither I am convinced, that she pulled it off. I think the dress does no favor for her and she does’n give it enough personality.

And I am very unsure about wearing this dress for SAG Awards too. I am not a fan of boring style, but this dress is not really event appropriate in my opinion. On the other hand I like that she added some surprise to this a bit predictable red carpet.

16. Mea January 24, 2010 at 11:21 am #

It looks beautiful on her, but…on the SAG’s red carpet?!

17. Mel January 24, 2010 at 11:06 am #

At first I thought this wasn’t apropiate for an awards event but then I remenbered that in the SAG the women use to be more relaxed in their apperel then in other awards shows.

I said before and i repeat it now: I always loved Anna but in this last red carpets she is wowing me, I never imagine her in this collection (neither viktor & rolf). and for some reason I was still waiting for a boring black dress. I think something changed in her for better, maybe her confidence or maybe her stylist (or both), but I’m really happy to see how great this dress looks on her.

P.S: her clutch is an Alexander McQueen Gold Skull Clutch. This is the third event she wears an Alexander McQueen Clutch, she must love them

18. Jaynee January 24, 2010 at 10:46 am #

I love this dress…I need this dress! Good for Anna for mixing it up and giving us such a fab suprise!

19. Terry January 24, 2010 at 9:48 am #

Even if I am a fan of the boring outfits she sported in the past awards season, I must say I love this edgy turn in her style and I think she looks great in this McQueen dress.

20. Nikki January 24, 2010 at 7:32 am #

I’m not sure if this is appropriate for the SAG awards. It’s something one would wear on a premiere but not an award show/party.

But I would say that I really like it. Anna Paquin looked beautiful and edgy. I love her shoes too.

I’m not really sure I trust E! Fashion Police when it comes to critiquing fashion. They just slate anyone who dares to look different and not boring. What I like about this site is that it embraces all kinds of fashion and takes into consideration a celebrity’s “fashion personality”. Although of course I do disagree sometimes. 🙂

• Fashion Critic January 24, 2010 at 10:29 am #

hey it OK to disagree. 😀

21. Mica January 24, 2010 at 6:49 am #

I love it! I think she looks sexy and good for her for taking a risk.

22. Sally January 24, 2010 at 6:35 am #

LOVE it. Absolute dark horse. She grabbed my attention with the Viktor and Rolf earlier in the week and now McQueen. HEAVEN.

23. Leti January 24, 2010 at 5:22 am #

I think she looks great, I don’t think this is event appropriate. She should have saved it for the Independent Spirit Awards–it would have been perfect. PS–FC thanks for all the outstanding coverage during awards season!!!

• Fashion Critic January 24, 2010 at 5:26 am #

you’re welcome. xx

24. Amelia January 24, 2010 at 4:38 am #

She looks horrid. As ever.

25. mandy January 24, 2010 at 4:31 am #

It is always a pleasure seeing stars don the very magnificent Alexander Mcqueen Spring line. It looked so outrageous on the runway but is absolutely breathtaking on the red carpet. I really hope to see more of AM on the red carpet.

26. Mary Jenson January 24, 2010 at 4:31 am #

I love it! It is not the same boring dress we are used to seeing on the Red Carpet. Her hair looks gorgeous and the cut of the dress is sexy!

27. robbie January 24, 2010 at 3:41 am #

this has got to be one of the best looks of the night, its short and sexy but tasteful and full of colour!

28. Mariazinha January 24, 2010 at 3:13 am #

She looks gorgeous!!!! I loved it!

29. Sheena January 24, 2010 at 3:10 am #

I LOVE THIS!! This collection is amazing and it’s nice to see it actually being worn in more than just a magazine.

PS> I love this site! You both have great taste:)

• Fashion Critic January 24, 2010 at 3:13 am #

thanks Sheena

30. Laura January 24, 2010 at 1:46 am #

I think she looks a-MA-zing. She was my favorite at the Globes and my favorite on this carpet so far.

31. AnaA January 24, 2010 at 1:45 am #

There’s too little fabric around there, but since the effect is this, it’s forgivable for me.

She’s one of the few who could pull this one.

32. Linda January 24, 2010 at 1:44 am #

I think this is amazing and event appropriate. The only thing that’s bothering me is that it looks a little creased.

33. Laura January 24, 2010 at 1:44 am #

I love it. I doubt the fashion police have any kind of comprehension on what edgy is. But this is edgy done right.

I wasn’t a fan of the Stella McCartney she wore to the Globes, but this is just oodles of greatness.

The SAG’s fashion is a big jump from the disappointing Globes.