Menu

August 12, 2009

Balmain vs. Alice + Olivia

The Balmain military jacket as worn by Beyonce Knowles would have set you back $11,410.

Thanks to Alice + Olivia, you can purchase their shrunken military jacket with embellished details on the front and shoulders for a small fraction of the price at $550.

It’s still quite expensive for some, but that’s no doubt due to the crystals, pearls and beaded details.

Alice + Olivia also seemed to be inspired by Balmain’s Fall 2008 zebra print blazer as worn by Kim Kardashian.

It has the same print and embellished lapels, but at a fraction of the cost.

This blazer is available from Nordstorm for $495.

Unlike Bebe’s attempts to knock-off Balmain, these are much more acceptable.

Credit: Style.com

Runway To Sidewalk - Rihanna In Rag & Bone

Runway To Sidewalk – Rihanna In Rag & Bone

On The "Gossip Girl" Set With Taylor Momsen Wearing Gypsy 05

On The “Gossip Girl” Set With Taylor Momsen Wearing Gypsy 05

10 Responses to Balmain vs. Alice + Olivia

1. Candy March 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Why should wealthy be the only ones to enjoy such a lovely jacket? I was thrilled that Alice & Olivia knocked off that Balmain military jacket. I would splurge the $550 bucks for it. But I certainly would never be able to afford the Balmain one for almost $12,000.

2. Linda August 14, 2009 at 9:55 pm #

Wow, the originals cannot be compared to these!

3. Megha August 12, 2009 at 11:59 pm #

how is this copying ok compared to Bebe doing it?
    the only difference i see is that these are still designer prices
    which makes it even worse in my eyes – cause they copy someone else and make a lot of money out of it anyway

4. Wande August 12, 2009 at 11:47 pm #

I also prefer the Balmain versions!

5. DolceLorenzo August 12, 2009 at 11:29 pm #

I’m looking at those pieces and I’m horrified. It’s like taking a work of art and attempting to reproduce it in the most grotesque way. These people ought to be ashamed of themselves!

6. Ally August 12, 2009 at 6:08 pm #

What makes the originals so awesome is the dramatic shoulders and the Alice & Oliva pieces just lose that completely and make the jackets boring. If the Balmain didn’t exist, neither of the A&O jackets would be of any note.

7. ramona August 12, 2009 at 5:34 pm #

I hate to see that some designers don’t have imagination at all;) it’s sad.but what can we do?! i like the original things.

8. zoe August 12, 2009 at 5:17 pm #

hmm, these are ok but i still prefer the balmain originals much more.

9. renyV August 12, 2009 at 5:01 pm #

I agree with From Russia With Love. The second jacket is nice, though.

10. From Russia With Love August 12, 2009 at 4:56 pm #