Menu

November 24, 2008 Best Dressed

2008 American Music Awards – Best Dressed

Best Rock Chick/Best Dressed Award
Pink stood out the most on the red carpet last night, and I absolutely love the cut of her strapless, curve-hugging Vivienne Westwood Fall 2007 gown, which is covered in sequins to give it a kind of reptile feel.

Her accessories were kept to a minimum, and soft curls help give her that feminine touch.

It was dramatic, bold, daring and perfect for her. It gave her an edge, without making her look too butch.

Best Co-ordination/Best Group Award
Pussycat Dolls all wore pieces from the Christian Siriano Spring 2009 collection.

This is what I mean about looking cohesive. They are not all necessarily wearing the same colours, but they compliment each other so well.

From left to right; Melody Thorton wore a lime green halter-neck dress, with pewter strappy sandals.

My favourite Doll, Jessica Sutta, wore a charcoal grey skirt, with a lime green strapless top and over-the-knee black boots.

Nicole Scherzinger wore a gorgeous strapless grey mini dress with a purple ombre hem. She completed her look with Giuseppe Zanotti sandals.

Ashley Roberts also wore a strapless mini, but hers was nude with a black overlay, which she paired with black strappy sandals.

Kimberly Wyatt wore the most colourful dress, and probably the most recognizable since Heidi Klum wore the full length version to the 2008 Emmy’s.

Best Strapless Award
This dress was one of my favourites from the Marchesa Spring 2009 collection.

I did not quite have it earmarked for any particular celebrity, but Miley Cyrus definitely did not spring to mind. Miley wore this dress so well, and she did not pout on the red carpet. A first I think.

It was her 16th birthday at this event, so she no doubt wanted to feel grown up by wearing this Marchesa gold embellished strapless dress with a black draped chiffon overlay.

She completed her look with Giuseppe Zanotti heels.

I know a lot of you will say that this dress is not age appropriate, but I loved it on her.

Nice Dress, Shame About The Earrings Award
Alicia Keys is a vision of pure loveliness in this Armani Privé royal blue one shoulder gown with Swarovski crystal trim, but unfortunately she did not get Best Dressed because I really disliked her earrings.

They are way too much for such an understated gown, but the tikka was a nice touch.

Most Improved Award
OK the lips are still very rouge, but there is no denying that Christina Aguilera was an absolute knock-out on the red carpet last night.

She wore an amazing Elie Saab Fall 2007 Couture gown, which many would say is hard to go wrong with. But this does not apply to Christina, because she is likely to kill any dress with too much make-up, or over posing on the red carpet, but she did neither last night, much to her credit and no doubt resistant.

Her long silver, embellished gown had a looked old Hollywood, which she wore with Stephen Webster earrings and Garrard bracelet and rings.

Best Embellishments Award
Taylor Swift rarely puts a foot wrong on the big occasions, and this was no exception as the country star shone in a Collette Dinnigan Spring 2009 asymmetric embellished silver mini dress.

She completed her look with pewter Christian Louboutin peep-toes.

Best Legs Award
Carrie Ann Inaba showed off her stunning lean legs wearing an Alberto Makali bronze sequined mini dress.

Best White Award
Demi Lovato looked stunning in the white tiered lace Gustavo Cadile dress, with a black sash.

Best Use Of Colour Award
Jordin Sparks shone so brightly in her canary yellow Dolce & Gabbana Pre-Fall 2008 dress, with a contrasting sash.

She completed her look with silver metallic sandals, and those darn red extensions.

Best Brit Award
Whilst Natasha Bedingfield let us Brits down in an ill-fitting suit, Leona Lewis did us proud by walking the red carpet in a mauve sequin and tufted chiffon Jenny Packham dress.

The dress had a butterfly detail on the bodice, which only adds more beauty to this girlie dress, which the singers tends to opt for.

Her silver sandals and Swarovski clutch compliment her dress beautifully.

Best Black/Best At Not Over Doing It Award
Like Christina, Mariah Carey has a tendency to over do it on the big stage, but I think since her marriage to Nick Cannon, the attention seeking, OTT, bum skimming outfits have gone, and a more sophisticated look has emerged.

This black Dolce & Gabbana gown is sexy, without being slutty, which is a fine line Mariah has walked in the past.

The dress gives her an amazing silhouette.

Big, Bold and Beautiful Award
If I told you Queen Latifah was going to wear a stretched metallic dress, you would have struggled to see how it would work, but the Queen does make it work, and how.

She is beyond stunning in her dress, with gorgeous Jimmy Choo pewter shoes to match.

Sexy Siren Award
There is always one who adds a touch of sex appeal to the red carpet, surprisingly it was Sarah Chalke.

The actress took the the red carpet wearing a bust enhancing, corseted Zac Posen Stingray satin dress, that just oozed sex appeal.

She completed her look with Christian Louboutin heels.

Most Shocking Improvement Award
I guess like me you never thought you would see the day that Phoebe Price would end up on any Best Dressed list, but despite the shock, she really does deserve this award.

The dress is surprisingly nice, one tone, not over-the-top, nor garish, not in your face, nor vomit inducing.

It’s actually respectable, but I do not expect this to last.

Someone check Phoebe’s temperature, I think she is coming down with something.

Best Gold Award
Say what you want about Paris Hilton, but she is looking much better these days. And although this dress is the size of a postage stamp, it is the perfect dress for Paris.

The gold chain mail dress compliments her sun-kissed skin perfectly.

Best Shoes Award
Actress Shailene Woodley also wore a grey dress from the Christian Siriano Spring 2009, I loved the layers and the neckline, but more importantly I loved the shoes, with the chiffon ruffled details.

Click here for the Worst Dressed

Source & Source & Source

2008 American Music Awards - Worst Dressed

2008 American Music Awards – Worst Dressed

CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute Red Carpet

CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute Red Carpet

44 Responses to 2008 American Music Awards – Best Dressed

1. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Kohl Girl, I understand what you are saying, but I do not agree with your approach, nor your name calling.

I am happy to be correct when wrong, but to be called ignorant is hurtful and unnecessary. I am not of Indian hertiage, but this does not make me ignorant, just not knowledgeable, when I call a dress a sari I am also told off and told is is called something else, and it seems when it comes to Indian culture I just can’t win.

I have always known the head dress to be called a bindi, but now you have enlighten me to it true name.

2. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Sorry, not name calling. Please do a search on google and you can see it is not a bindi. Let’s just be respectful to all cultures!! Love your blog!

3. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Mariah Carey looks weird, she’s always wearing the same thing. I did not like her look.

I think Miley has the same problem that Taylot Swift has, they don’t dress their age. Their dresses are gorgeous but not for teens.
    Plus, Miley’s posture annoys me.

Christina looks good. The hollywold old glam-esque look is what suits her best.

My favorite is Pink, what a surprise. That dress looks great on her, and I love her hair.

4. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Kohl Girl, it can also be known as a bindi. I just looked it up, as I had always known it to be called a bindi, so I was confused when you said it was a tikka. According to various sites, it has many names including bindi and tikka.

Miley looks gorgeous, the dress is so cute. I think its age appropriate, I would wear it and Im 16.

Wow at Christina. I think she looks gorgeous here. Theres no clown makeup and I think the dress looks stunning on her!

5. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

leona lewis’s dress is definitely amazing and she looks so nice but i must correct you: her dress is not mauve. mauve is often a deep purplish wine-y color–or at least in the family of purples. her dress would be better described as beige, maybe warm dove grey, or taupe. mauve: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauve

6. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

also i just read your worst dressed list. i couldn’t find the link to comment >.< so i'll just comment here. colbie caillat's dress is actually made out of fresh flowers! it was made the morning of i think? or the night before. i think she looked really cute in the dress, i just wonder how she sat in it and how well it fared throughout the ceremony. she must have looked horrible at the end of it because her dress would have been squished.

7. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

kohl girl – I am Indian and I don’t think calling tikka a bindi makes anyone ignorant.

Lauren – In India, the ones with an adhesive are referred to as a “bindi” and the forehead jewellery is referred to as a tika.

love your blog!

8. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Who makes the gold chain mail dress that Paris wore? I’m really curious to know..

9. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

drinkupthefashion I am very confused by your comment, but to set the record straight Jenny Packham lists this dress as the colour mauve.

10. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

I loved the gold chain dress that Paris wore but no one has named the designer. Does anyone know?

11. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

i actually _conceptually_ like christina aguilera’s style which for me is a marriage between old hollywood glamor and pin-up girl sassy. take these photos for example:

#1: m/i/fashion/profile/christina4.jpg

#2: http://www.thinkfashion.com/i/fashion/profile/christina1.jpg

#3: http://www.mycelebrityfashion.co.uk/outfits/christina-aguilera-grammy-awards-2007-25/grammy_awards_-_la_-_february_2007.jpg

red kissers look nice on her, imho… although i also think she could tone it down a little, too.

12. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Miley Cirus’ boobs have been digitally enhanced on the first picture!!

I love the dress though.

13. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Jordin Sparks ruined this cute pretty dress by downsizing it and wearing silver t-strap sandals that don’t work with yellow. Jordin made this luxe dress look like any American prom dress out there. She might have just bought it at my beloved Forever 21 and gotten the same effect and spent less money. Jordin does look adorable though with her great smile.

14. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Ooh ooh ooh Fashion Critic. Wonderful coverage/comments/fashion as always, but I have to say I disagree about Phoebe Price! I know she did well enough to AVOID worst dressed, but I don’t think that dress works well enough for best dressed at ALL! I think if any other star wore it, we would be ripping them a new one! But I do respect your opinion, after all it IS your blog :):)

15. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Thanks a lot, and no offense at at all.

I have been watching her for a long while and this is the best it has ever been, so I had to document it in some way.

16. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Mariah definately delivered on the fashion part, shame she didn’t on the singing, her performance was pretty much horrible and it hurts me to say that because “I Stay In Love” is her best song on the new album.

I basically agree with all the choices, except Christina Aguilera, she just destroys every single outfit, she doesn’t have the body for such a gorgeous dress and her hair and make-up are awfull, as usual. Also, her performance sucked big time, she just doesn’t have that X factor, no matter how hard she works.

Electra.

17. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Good job on picking the Best Dressed, Fashion Critic, almost agree with everyone on the list.

Miley’s dress was awesome, I loved it! But isn’t that a pout I’m spotting in the first picture?

Alicia Keys, shame on you!!! This dress was soooo stunning on you, but those giant earrings and that bindi (I’m sorry to say, but it looks like a bird has s**t on your head) were awful and rightfully cost you the “Best Dressed”-title.

I think Quen Latifah’s shoes are Jimmy Choos (Glenys Elaphe Snakeskin Sandals).

18. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Sarah Chalke’s dress is actually zac posen it’s on net-a-porter. Love your blog btw.

19. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

thanks Profashionelle, I was not sure they were Jimmy Choo’s because I believed they only came in black and python green.

20. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Anon, thanks. Happy to be corrected.

I would have put money on it being D&G as it is similar to their trademark corest dress.

21. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Its not a bindi, its a tikka!!! Please do your research and just don’t name it whatever you think its called!!!! Please don’t be ignorant!

22. Guest April 22, 2019 at 3:15 am #

Wow, great coverage! I agree on most except Paris, Phoebe and Christina..She ruins everything with her hair and make-up. Can’t help it but I think she looks like a drag-queen everytime!

23. Ksenia February 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm #

24. Letícia Magalhães November 29, 2008 at 6:01 am #

Miley Cirus’ boobs have been digitally enhanced on the first picture!!

I love the dress though.

25. al0ha_milkyway November 26, 2008 at 2:23 pm #

#1: m/i/fashion/profile/christina4.jpg

#2: http://www.thinkfashion.com/i/fashion/profile/christina1.jpg

26. Anonymous November 25, 2008 at 6:13 pm #

27. Fashion Critic November 24, 2008 at 11:37 pm #

28. Anonymous November 24, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

29. Anonymous November 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm #

love your blog!

30. drinkupthefashion November 24, 2008 at 10:24 pm #

also i just read your worst dressed list. i couldn't find the link to comment >.< so i'll just comment here. colbie caillat's dress is actually made out of fresh flowers! it was made the morning of i think? or the night before. i think she looked really cute in the dress, i just wonder how she sat in it and how well it fared throughout the ceremony. she must have looked horrible at the end of it because her dress would have been squished.

31. drinkupthefashion November 24, 2008 at 10:13 pm #

32. Lauren November 24, 2008 at 9:24 pm #

33. Leo November 24, 2008 at 8:29 pm #

Plus, Miley’s posture annoys me.

Christina looks good. The hollywold old glam-esque look is what suits her best.

34. Kohl Girl November 24, 2008 at 7:15 pm #

35. Fashion Critic November 24, 2008 at 6:46 pm #

36. Vicky November 24, 2008 at 6:06 pm #

37. Kohl Girl November 24, 2008 at 5:20 pm #

38. Fashion Critic November 24, 2008 at 3:26 pm #

Anon, thanks. Happy to be corrected.

39. Fashion Critic November 24, 2008 at 3:25 pm #

40. Anonymous November 24, 2008 at 3:17 pm #

41. Profashionelle November 24, 2008 at 2:56 pm #

I think Quen Latifah’s shoes are Jimmy Choos (Glenys Elaphe Snakeskin Sandals).

42. Anonymous November 24, 2008 at 1:40 pm #

Electra.

43. Fashion Critic November 24, 2008 at 1:09 pm #

Thanks a lot, and no offense at at all.

44. lara November 24, 2008 at 12:29 pm #