Summer is here and with it comes a more relaxed get-up-go approach to hair.
So it looks like we’re waving goodbye to the ironed-flat Brazilian Blow-out and relaxers and saying “Hello curls”, or in Halle’s words, “This is what you call wash-and-wear beach hair. It’s ready to go!”
Singers Brandy Norwood and Solange Knowles have also gone for grown-out bouncy curls recently, but whether your ringlets are real or have been given a helping hand with a curling iron or hair extensions, the secret is a great conditioner according to stylist Oscar James, whose clients include Tyra Banks, Vanessa Williams, Halle Berry, Iman and Beyonce.
‘It’s paramount that you start with deep conditioner always,’ he says. ‘Deep conditioning means healthy hair.’
* Here are Oscar’s tips for a great head of curls:
* Shampoo the hair, give it a great conditioner and use heat on it.
* Then rinse and blow it dry. I don’t really use a product before blowing out because when you put heat on a product, hair tends to look oily.
* Use a quarter-size iron to curl all around in no real pattern, and curl it haphazardly to get free-form curls in all directions.
* Finish with a holding spray and a little pomade to give shine and texture and help the curls stay where you put them.
The hair products you will need:
Carols Daughter Hair Milk Curl Nourishing Shampoo – Sephora.com
Moraccan Oil Restorative Hair Mask – Amazon
Joico Curl Definer Creme – Amazon
Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Reconstructor – Boots.com
Paul Mitchell Hold Me Tight Hair Spray Hair Spray – Amazon
Ouidad Clear Control Pomade – Sephora.com