Menu

11.07.18

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Roland Mouret & Givenchy – Ireland Visit

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex has already presented two new look before lunchtime today (July 11) in Ireland, on day two of her visit with her husband Prince Harry.

Meeting Ireland’s President: Her first look was a taupe Roland Mouret bespoke ‘Clover’ dress which she styled with a Fendi ‘Peekaboo’ black bag and black Paul Andrew pumps. The look, which is very similar to her previous Roland Mouret dress, is very dignified and perfect for a presidential meeting. But the first question I asked myself was “why isn’t she celebrating Irish designers during this trip?” That’s the one thing I loved about Michelle Obama and Duchess Catherine when they traveled, as they always made it a point to find a way to represent the country they were in. Louise Kennedy, Simone Rocha and Paul Costelloe are three Irish designers I can think of off the top of my head, but the next generation of emerging designers could’ve also benefited from being spotlighted during this trip too.

Gaelic Athletic Association: Meghan’s second look saw her cut a stylish figure as she took the field in cropped black Givenchy suit and a white shirt, styled with a Givenchy belt and Sarah Flint pumps – when block heels or wedges would’ve been more appropriate considering the turf. On this occasion she traded in her Fendi bag for a small black clutch. Meghan hasn’t had much time to repeat, but this look did remind me of her Alexander McQueen look worn back in February.

Credit: Getty

Beyonce Knowles In Roberto Cavalli - ‘On The Run II’ Tour Milan

Beyonce Knowles In Roberto Cavalli – ‘On The Run II’ Tour Milan

January Jones In Shoshanna - 2nd Annual Maison St-Germain

January Jones In Shoshanna – 2nd Annual Maison St-Germain

42 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Roland Mouret & Givenchy – Ireland Visit

1. Caroline July 12, 2018 at 15:22 #

LOVE the suit.

2. gabis July 12, 2018 at 13:01 #

I honestly don’t like any of these looks.
    The Roland Mouret isn’t figure flattering and the styling is terrible.
    The Givenchy suit is better but then again it falls flat with the bad styling.
    Minimalism isn’t about a simple plain look, it is about choosing the right elements so a plain look becomes an interesting one. I think whoever styles Meghan is missing that.

3. grazia July 12, 2018 at 06:03 #

man, girl sure does love her some boatnecks

• Lara July 12, 2018 at 20:34 #

That was literally my first thought. She never met a boatneck she didn’t like…and wear.

4. Mimi July 12, 2018 at 02:30 #

The suit is so chic and really great on her! She really looks so good in suits, she must feel comfortable in them.

5. Kimma July 11, 2018 at 22:30 #

Pantsuits are a winning look for her. I’d like to see her in more of these but maybe moving away from plain black.
    Her dress choices have been good this week, but along with everyone else I regret the fit. This is one of the worst cases where the bra is clearly visible.

6. Phee July 11, 2018 at 21:13 #

The pantsuit looks good. Chic and she wears these suits well.
    The dress is highly unfortunate. Very unflattering.

7. Alina July 11, 2018 at 17:25 #

I like the first dress, but the undergarments she’s wearing are kinda ruining it.

The second look is simple, modern and chic. Maybe she’ll wear trousers more often.

8. TeaAtTwo July 11, 2018 at 17:12 #

I agree that she should be wearing native designers or labels in host countries. She should wear more British designers and labels back in Britain. The fit looks off around the top of the Mouret but I like her suit look.

9. Original meme July 11, 2018 at 16:22 #

Can’t someone find the proper undergarments for this woman? The Mouret dress is ruined by the too tight bodice and outline of her strapless bra. The pantsuit looks great on her.

10. James July 11, 2018 at 16:09 #

Thanks Catherine for reminding me how much I miss Michelle’s style! We were NEVER bored with her and she had so much fun (took risks that mostluy paidoff) and always showed delicatesse when it came to promoting new desingers. I wanna cry now lol!

• Catherine Kallon July 11, 2018 at 17:25 #

I miss her immensely

• Crystalline July 12, 2018 at 00:41 #

Catherine, why don’t you post about FLOTUS anymore. This is a fashion blog afterall, you should treat everyone equally. I am not a US citizen, nor a supporter of the POTUS. I am just interested in your comment on FLOTUS fashion choice. I think she do very well in almost her every outing. At least please make a vote (just like your vote for Kim K a few years ago ) whether your reader still want FLOTUS to be featured on your blog or not.

• Caitlin July 12, 2018 at 01:35 #

Chrystalline, I agree with you that it would be nice to see more FLOTUS posts, but Catherine doesn’t do them for Melania because people always get political and make nasty comments. The poll is a good idea though 🙂

• brat July 12, 2018 at 03:38 #

• Kat July 12, 2018 at 07:20 #

The current FLOTUS has clearly chosen to stay out of the spotlight. She is one of the least public FLOTUS’ in recent memory. I am happy for us to follow her own lead and ignore her

11. Eva July 11, 2018 at 15:25 #

The first look I really dislike. The colour, the thick fabric and especially the fit is quite bad.

However, the Givenchy looks good in my opinion. Yes it is a black suit, but there are elements of style to be appreciated – the cropped blazer, the cut of the pants.

12. Lux July 11, 2018 at 15:09 #

Has anyone else noticed in the last few looks her boob area looking really weird? (Maybe the wrong bra)

Honestly my favourite looks of hers have been the suits because they suit her body the best! I don’t like these tight dresses, they give her a really boxy figure.

13. Camilla July 11, 2018 at 15:03 #

50% of her outfits experience either a fit issue or major creasing (yeah, broken record, we’re all saying it but there’s reason to repeat it with every new set of photos).

With this Roland Moulet I’m really surprised to be able to see the outline of her bra, but also the dress straining against her chest.

Second outfit looks good on her if seen before. A punchier-coloured suit would be great *thinks of Lea Seydoux’s jade green LV suit at Cannes*

14. Messi July 11, 2018 at 14:57 #

“why isn’t she celebrating Irish designers during this trip?” two words: new money.

She has never had access to these designers before, not even as an actress, so she is making the most of it. I don’t see her humbling herself and wearing Zara or Jaegar any time soon. As if she does repeat, it will only be due to pressure from the press.

• Nat123 July 11, 2018 at 15:59 #

Completely agree. It is quite disappointing.

• Pedro July 11, 2018 at 15:59 #

Catherine saves and she spends! lol

• AnnaP July 11, 2018 at 17:41 #

The Duchess of Sussex was a millionaire before she met Prince Harry – absolutely absurd comment!

• Nat 123 July 11, 2018 at 22:16 #

AnnaP I am sure Meghan made some good money from her TV Show and whatever sponsored deal she had but millionaire is kind of a stretch. She was not an A-List like Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Lawrance who are actual millionaires.

• brat July 11, 2018 at 22:29 #

she was estimated at 6 mlllion, a wealthy woman no doubt, but her money is dwarfed by the BRF’s assets.

• brat July 11, 2018 at 22:24 #

Millionaire who lived within her means as is evident by her modest house and a modest wardrobe that wasn’t stocked with haute couture. her whole closet as advertised on “the Tig” is preserved on Meghan’s Mirror. This IS the most expensive she’s ever dressed. To act as if she didn’t marry into old money and one with an astonishing generational wealth factor is absurd.

15. brat July 11, 2018 at 14:52 #

Both are nice enough the suit is better

16. JessNess July 11, 2018 at 14:40 #

The reason most of these looks don’t work, is because she has NO WAIST

• TeaAtTwo July 11, 2018 at 15:43 #

Stop bodyshaming her.

• SilentVisitor July 11, 2018 at 15:55 #

+1 and let’s not forget about the comment above(from Messi); we have really moved into tabloids’ level.

Such a turn off to read such comments on a well respected website

Given what CK has to do to make sure the website runs smoothly, someone suggested a subscription based approach. The approach will most likely weed out those who aren’t here just to discuss style and fashion

Going to back to the actual post, I understand that meeting the president, she had to be super formal but the color is a big No. I much prefer the second look

• J July 11, 2018 at 16:13 #

IMO, the poster wasn’t body shaming. We all have different body types. One is not better than the other, but she has that type of figure where her torso is very straight. Ashley Greene and Jessica Chastain have similar waists. She could benefit from a stylist who can dress her best for her figure. A lot of her stuff doesn’t seem to fit well in the chest area either, but the suit works great on her.

• TeaAtTwo July 11, 2018 at 17:09 #

Maybe she doesn’t feel she has to dress to try to conform to some idealised hourglass shape.

• brat July 11, 2018 at 17:05 #

it’s not body shaming to note her body type and that she doesn’t always dress for it. granted, there’s only so much she can do.

• TeaAtTwo July 11, 2018 at 17:48 #

But dressing for her shape implies that she should dress to minimise or emphasise features to achieve a particular silhouette.

• brat July 11, 2018 at 22:26 #

Well yes, there are silhouettes that work better for her shape and to pretend everything works is just PC nonsense. Some lucky women can pull off everything. The Duchess isn’t one of them. It’s not an unkind remark just an honest observation.

• SZ July 12, 2018 at 06:07 #

AGREE!

17. Iva July 11, 2018 at 14:37 #

Oh no. The fit of the dress does not look god on her waist up.
    Though it has interesting cut, I’m not fan of the color either.

Second look is much better, but still nothing special. I preferred the Alexander McQueen suit.

• Iva July 11, 2018 at 16:22 #

*good

• JHH July 11, 2018 at 17:15 #

18. Gilda July 11, 2018 at 14:23 #

It seems to me her fashion look has improved significantly during this trip. In my opinion, much more chic and sophisticated than anything Kate–whose outfits are mostly generic, unimaginative and similar, e.g. multiple different colors of the same coat in short time span.. Meghan has been panned for her last few outfits–any wonder that she’s not experimenting with Irish designers? I remember when Kate visited the Netherlands her dress was visibly wrinkled, yet now folks are saying her clothing is never wrinkled. Hard to keep up.

• Naf July 11, 2018 at 15:23 #

Gilda my dear, you took the words right out of my mouth. She’s definitely improved and seems more comfortable and it’ll be nice to see how she progresses. I do like her in the darker fall colors she’s been wearing during this trip. The cut of the blazer is nice on her slim figure. As for all these comparisons to Kate, its getting old and tired, and the bar keeps moving. Over it!

• Milla B. July 11, 2018 at 16:17 #

Yep. Meghan is the new Kate. I remember when people complained about the fit of Kate’s clothes, especially her Emilia Wickstead dresses.
      Now her clothes, since the beginning, have always being perfect fitted. You’re right, it’s hard to keep up.