Menu

10.07.18

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Christian Dior Haute Couture – RAF Centenary

Following yesterday’s christening, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex was out again with the royal family attending an event to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force in London today (July 10).

The former actress continued to opt for a darker hue, wearing a black (this is confirmed) Christian Dior Haute Couture dress.

I’m sure many will say this design feels like a shorter version of her wedding dress.

Aside from minor imperfections with regards to the snug fit of the bodice, I do love the overall chic design, and her accessories which included a modern fascinator, Cartier earrings and a Dior clutch.

My feeling is some might take issue with the contrasting Dior pumps.

I do like that she lightened up the look somewhat, but was this occasion to make that call?

I would say yes, because royals are not expected to wear all black to events for several reasons, including the fact they’re usually saved for Remembrance Day and funerals.

Another reason royals usually don’t wear all black is because they don’t stand out in the crowds.

The Queen, for example, will always dress in the brightest of colours to ensure the fans and public can see her at an event.

Credit: Getty

Pippa Middleton In Alessandra Rich - HRH Prince Louis Of Cambridge Christening

Pippa Middleton In Alessandra Rich – HRH Prince Louis Of Cambridge Christening

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - RAF Centenary

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – RAF Centenary

53 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Christian Dior Haute Couture – RAF Centenary

1. Paula July 11, 2018 at 10:58 #

Chic, but in balcony pictures she looks like she is at a different event than everybody else.

2. Phee July 11, 2018 at 07:19 #

Hate the dress. the fabric is crinkling…the bodice is too tight or else the sewing work sucks. awful job either way.
    The fascinator is one of her best though… one of the top ive seen. adore it.

3. Iva July 11, 2018 at 06:29 #

I think this is one of her best looks but she still looks like she is going to a funeral.

If it was only ‘real’ navy blue…

4. Mimi July 11, 2018 at 03:23 #

It’s surprising she wore a similar neckline to her wedding dress so soon, especially bc that neckline is distinctive. Not in love with this dress on her.

5. Caitlin July 11, 2018 at 01:57 #

This is really elegant, also I think the fit n flare is a new silhouette for her so far ?? I think we can all kind of agree that, for whatever reason, Meghan doesn’t follow Royal protocol, as far as dressing goes. Perhaps we can put it down to her team’s inexperience as she’s still so new to this role, or maybe she just gets a bit more leeway.

6. CreoleLady July 10, 2018 at 22:48 #

Pretty! She is working that fascinator. I usually look askance at them but hmmm, maybe she can make me a believer. It does look like dark navy to me, both hat and dress but if Dior says it’s black, it must be.

7. Amy July 10, 2018 at 22:32 #

Love the dress. A bit snug on the top but very flattering overall. The hat is the perfect touch. The shoes are a bad choice. Still one of her best

8. brat July 10, 2018 at 20:30 #

I love EVERYTHING about this look, pale pumps included. Now all the apologists who kept trying to make excuses for ill-fitting and unflattering clothes can be quiet.

THIS not only flatters her but fits her like a dream, unlike that dowdy wedding dress. Today’s offering and yesterday’s is what I’ve hoping for when I learned Meghan and Harry were engaged. I’m not going to get carried away but it does seem like she is finding her footing after one tragic miss after another.

Simple, chic, flattering and her hat game is becoming the best in the BRF imo. She clearly favors sleek and modern styles.

More please Meghan!

• Nancy July 10, 2018 at 20:59 #

• JHH July 11, 2018 at 00:59 #

9. Nat123 July 10, 2018 at 18:45 #

This dress is better than her OG wedding dress. She looked great.

10. dedel July 10, 2018 at 18:35 #

She really loves HAUTE COUTURE

11. Eva July 10, 2018 at 17:59 #

The dress is not black but midnight blue see this picture: https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/1016704089009385473

She looked really good but I hope she will go back to PT for hats.. The mesh Stephen Jones should not become he a staple of her wardrobe…

12. Susa July 10, 2018 at 17:50 #

Most certainly not boring! love the dress!

13. Thabi July 10, 2018 at 17:45 #

love love love! She’s getting there y’all! she looks gorge!

14. Dhppy July 10, 2018 at 17:40 #

I think this is quite beautiful. And since it looks so much like Meghan’s wedding dress, I believe it’s Givenchy. I wish she had worn a jade green pump for a splash of color, but I’m glad she didn’t go with black. It would have made the look too somber. If I were one of these Duchesses, I would shave a grand off the price of my dress and spend it on a new pair of pumps in a different color until I had a full rainbow of shoes in my closet to choose from.

15. Susie July 10, 2018 at 16:58 #

Dress is chic and it actually fits her perfectly! My favorite post-wedding look from her.

16. Noemi July 10, 2018 at 16:11 #

I find the dress unflattering on the chest, it makes it look wider and flat.
    I’m not a fan of the contrasting pumps.

• brat July 10, 2018 at 20:53 #

she can’t help her body type, she’s thick-waisted. it fits her perfectly and the fit and flare silhouette is very flattering imo.

• Laurie July 10, 2018 at 21:32 #

It’s a bit too tight across the bust. Neckline is not stitched well. More issues with Dior than Megan, otherwise she looks great.

17. Vizual Ninja July 10, 2018 at 15:50 #

Love this!! So chic and sophisticated, I don’t mind the color, for the pumps whilst it wouldn’t be my top choice is a minor nitpick. She looks great, seems like she’s finding her footing quite well.

18. katia July 10, 2018 at 15:33 #

she looks lovely love the dress. some say it is dior dress.

• Catherine Kallon July 10, 2018 at 17:41 #

It is Dior. Apologies. It looks exactly like her wedding dress, so I thought it was the same designer

• Nancy July 10, 2018 at 18:22 #

On a light note, if anything Catherine, you were ahead of the game as she ended up wearing Givenchy literally hours later (can’t wait for that post)!

19. pinksugar July 10, 2018 at 15:15 #

I find the black ‘rule’ quite silly. I don’t think there is a shade that will ever be more chic when it comes to fashion. I think she looks sensational. Modern, cool, and sophisticated from head to toe.

20. Katey July 10, 2018 at 15:14 #

A saw some more photos and this dress is not black. It’s blue although it is really dark.

• Catherine Kallon July 10, 2018 at 17:42 #

From the Dior press release they say the dress is black

21. Caroline July 10, 2018 at 14:53 #

No from head to toe.

22. kelly July 10, 2018 at 14:48 #

I really don’t like the black! Unless it is a somber event, which I don’t believe it is judging from the description and what Kate is wearing. It looks very heavy for July.

23. TeaAtTwo July 10, 2018 at 14:35 #

Has chic factor in fades but black isn’t the joyful colour for a celebration. Also great reporting by you Catherine, lots of sites even big ones with printed magazines were saying that was a Dior look.

24. Lee Ann July 10, 2018 at 14:13 #

Sorry but you can tell it’s Dior from a mile away especially if you look at the belt and the silhouette . It’s also navy blue – Dior loves black navy .

I like her look . It is sharp and fits well .

• Catherine Kallon July 10, 2018 at 17:43 #

It is Dior. It looks exactly like her wedding dress, so I thought it was the same designer.

My mistake. Sorry.

The Dior press release says the dress is black.

• Lee Ann July 10, 2018 at 21:07 #

I think something got lost in translation – they do a black navy – neither black nor navy – but they do classify it as navy . Trust me I have a few Dior dresses in this colour – the only way you can see it’s not black is to hold up black to it – her hair works as a proxy .

The belt is pure Dior

25. Hannah July 10, 2018 at 13:49 #

I love this look, much more than olive one. And the fascinator – simply stunning. Good work!

26. Valeria July 10, 2018 at 13:40 #

I loved her olive look, was a total stunner! This one is minimalist and chic, and I just applaud the royal ladies for the fact that I find it hard to put on anything but a messy bun, shorts and wrinkled linen shirt for 28 days out of the month. I only alter my “look” with workout outfit. To be so pulled together 2 days in the row, while we the browser fashion critics nitpick their outfits, deserves a MEDAL!

• brat July 10, 2018 at 20:54 #

you also don’t have a stylist to work with and millions of dollars allocated towards your “work wardrobe”. That makes a tiny bit of a difference.

27. AnnaP July 10, 2018 at 13:29 #

She looks fabulous, so pretty and chic. I see nothing to criticise here.

Interesting that she is wearing Dior for the first time.

I love the contrasting shoes and the fascinator looks goodt on her!

Bravo!!

28. Gilda stahl July 10, 2018 at 13:15 #

Daily mail is saying dress is by Dior.

29. Vanessa July 10, 2018 at 13:06 #

I love! Dior or Givenchy?

30. SilentVisitor July 10, 2018 at 12:50 #

This is a fantastic look!!! It looks like she is slowly but surely finding her old style.

I understand the contrasting pumps but I would have preferred black pumps.

Her headpieces are just amazing…………

31. Alina July 10, 2018 at 12:38 #

She looks lovely. The fascinator is amazing.

She is getting there. A few more appereances and she’ll ace the royal dressing thing.

32. Dressaddict July 10, 2018 at 12:23 #

She looks great! But I some other websites say that the dress is Dior.

33. Fee July 10, 2018 at 12:13 #

I like the style of the dress on her, but that’s about it.

34. James July 10, 2018 at 11:59 #

I adore his look! It fits her body type perfectly. It’s regal without being matronly.

• Fiona-Brasil July 10, 2018 at 12:18 #

+ 1

• Rocio July 10, 2018 at 15:26 #

+ 2

• The original AB July 11, 2018 at 10:17 #

35. Bec July 10, 2018 at 11:55 #

I feel like these beige pumps are going to become Megan’s version of Kate’s LK Bennett pumps 😂😂😂

• J July 10, 2018 at 12:22 #

I think black pumps would have been better but I like the dress.