Menu

10.07.18

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – RAF Centenary

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge joined the Queen and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for a service at Westminster Abbey to celebrate the Royal Air Force’s centenary.

Like Meghan, there was a touch of déjà vu about Catherine’s look.

Despite looking a picture of elegance in her pale blue coat Alexander McQueen dress, it bears a resemblance to the cream dress she wore to Princess Charlotte’s christening in 2015, and several other occasions.

Pinned to the lapels of her jacket was the Air Cadets Dacre diamond and ruby brooch.

Since 1982, it had traditionally been awarded to the best all round female cadet each year and is considered the highest accolade they could receive.

This tradition finished in 2015 and it was decided that female cadets should be recognised in the same way as their male counterparts and the Duchess was presented the brooch as a gift following her appointment as Honorary Air Commandant of the RAF.

The Duchess finished her outfit with a pale blue and white hat by milliner Sean Barrett, her nude pumps and a satin embroidered clutch bag.

Credit: Getty

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Christian Dior Haute Couture - RAF Centenary

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Christian Dior Haute Couture – RAF Centenary

Emily Bunt In Christian Dior - A.I.S Benefit Gala

Emily Bunt In Christian Dior – A.I.S Benefit Gala

27 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – RAF Centenary

1. Naf July 11, 2018 at 17:35 #

She looks lovely. Her style is is looking more and more mature though, maybe its the hair?

2. Miss H July 11, 2018 at 08:18 #

She looks elegant and event appropriate. I really like the brooch and the story behind it. And her figure is looking fantastic for someone who had a baby three months ago!

I do think we could cut Catherine and Meghan a wee bit of slack – it must be tricky to balance being a royal with being yourself and I can see the former winning out over the latter a lot of the time.

That being said, I do remember times when Catherine wore dresses that I loved, since becoming a royal – that red Marchesa dress she wore to the opening of 42nd Street really sticks in my mind, and some of the outfits she has worn on foreign visits (her Australia(?) tour in particular!) So it can be done!

3. Phee July 11, 2018 at 07:20 #

sure. fine. it works. its boring. as per usual.

4. Caitlin July 11, 2018 at 01:10 #

Catherine, thank you so much for providing the back story of the brooch. So interesting! This is why you’re the best <3

I know people won't like this for its formulaic nature, but I think she looks impeccable as usual, and the colour is lovely.

5. brat July 11, 2018 at 00:05 #

Too mature. I’ll wait til she’s off maternity leave for something better.

6. Nat123 July 10, 2018 at 18:46 #

I gave up on her outfits a long time ago it looks like she did as well.

• JHH July 10, 2018 at 19:14 #

• Lee Ann July 10, 2018 at 20:56 #

• The original AB July 11, 2018 at 12:36 #

+3. For her son’s christening and for this event she looks exactly as I thought she would. She is very predictable/blah.

7. Susa July 10, 2018 at 17:49 #

It would be nice to see her experimenting with her clothes a bit, always a coat dress or a two-piece suit. Or a dress but even then they wear her and not the other way around. She has the body for lovely clothes, don’t get why she doesn’t play around a bit.

8. MissJules July 10, 2018 at 15:44 #

Love this color. Although the look itself is something we’ve seen before (down to the collar design), it’s well accessorized. Love the brooch.

• Lee Ann July 10, 2018 at 20:58 #

It’s not a brooch it’s an award –

9. Caroline July 10, 2018 at 14:52 #

I seem to be the only one on this site who loves her style.

• pinksugar July 10, 2018 at 15:16 #

I love her style too. While it can be a bit predictable I think she nails her role when it comes to style. I do wish she would lay off the updos though, they are very aging on her

• Lee Ann July 10, 2018 at 20:59 #

Wow I wish I could but I love clothes and style too much to

10. Original meme July 10, 2018 at 14:49 #

Kate needs to change it up a bit. Make that a lot. Looks like she’s always wearing the same dress/outfit.

11. Lee Ann July 10, 2018 at 14:10 #

Business as usual . Suede shoes in July ?? Why ?

12. gabis July 10, 2018 at 13:47 #

A bit aging but oh she looks so fantastic in pale/pastel hues that I can’t help it not loving this outfit. Such a lovely look.

• MissJules July 10, 2018 at 15:45 #

I agree! Love this hue.

• Jas July 11, 2018 at 03:20 #

+2 and impeccable fit (as always)

13. TeaAtTwo July 10, 2018 at 13:45 #

Usual from, event appropriate but not particularly interesting. I like the colour. I think if she’d worn Meghan’s style of dress but in this pale blue it would have been a good look.

14. Eva July 10, 2018 at 13:39 #

I don’t like this, but I’m tented to give her a pass since she is still on maternity leave. Maybe she keeps wearing the same silhouette because her body is changing still and she isn’t ordering any new outfit? Here’s hoping!

15. Hannah July 10, 2018 at 13:38 #

Her looks are always very appropriate and sometimes (maybe even quite often) she looks very good. But recently I find her looks boring and bit ageing. It’s like she has two dresses in few colours, or even not different colours, but shades. Even when you are conservative and classic in your choices, you can look interesting. I hope sth will change, at least a bit.

16. SilentVisitor July 10, 2018 at 12:45 #

Isn’t this the same dress she wore to Prince Harry and MM wedding as well as during one of the christenings? It looks like the same dress just in a different color

I think she looks the same but she still looks fine

17. Alina July 10, 2018 at 12:39 #

Deja-vu and extremely aging.

18. Fee July 10, 2018 at 12:25 #

Her looks are becoming very uniform and matronly. I do really like her clutch though.

19. Fiona-Brasil July 10, 2018 at 12:18 #