Menu

19.06.18

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Givenchy – Royal Ascot 2018

As we all know Meghan, Duchess of Sussex loves a strapless neckline, if her royal wedding and Trooping the Colour outings are anything to go by, but strapless necklines have never been permitted in the Royal Enclosure at Ascot, which she attended today (June 19) with her husband in England.

Turning to her go-to designer Clare Waight Keller of Givenchy, the new royal kept things simple wearing a white shirt dress with a Philip Treacy fascinator and Givenchy clutch.

Firstly, the hat couldn’t be more perfect for the event and I love how it helps unify the rest of her accessories.

She had somewhat of a fashion recovery from the weekend when it comes to the dress, as I adore the simplicity, embroidery and the asymmetrical hemline.

Many people have been quick to notice that Meghan, unlike her husband, didn’t wear purple-and-white pinned name tag. But neither did Duchess Camilla or Princess Ann, so she wasn’t being a rogue rebel by going against any royal protocol.

Credit: Getty

Lady Gaga In Alexander McQueen  - 2018 MTV Movie And TV Awards

Lady Gaga In Alexander McQueen – 2018 MTV Movie And TV Awards

Lady Kitty Spencer In Dolce & Gabbana - Serpentine Summer Party 2018

Lady Kitty Spencer In Dolce & Gabbana – Serpentine Summer Party 2018

35 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Givenchy – Royal Ascot 2018

1. SD-USA June 21, 2018 at 22:27 #

I can not imagine the pressure this woman must feel…she is getting absolutely no slack or “honeymoon” as she settles into life as a senior royal. I don’t recall this unrelenting criticism for Kate right out the shoot. Everything Kate wore was celebrated whether it was boring, much too conservative or not.

Once Meghan gets the swing of things and understands all protocols for all events…look out!
    She loves fashion, knows who she is and understands what looks best on her very slight frame (it does appear she has lost weight which may explain the fit issue). Clothes are probably being custom designed for her as we speak and I’m certain Meghan will set trends in due time.

I’m rooting for her and willing to grant her a bit of leeway.

• brat June 21, 2018 at 23:13 #

The Duchess of Cambridge has fallen out of favor with me in recent years for her too-safe choices and style rut.
      That being said, she had a much stronger showing as a new Royal. Last year I believed Meghan would push her to elevate her style game but now I think Meghan should take notes from her sister-in-law. She may bore us but she knows how to dress her body and what suits her and she always looks good. Not so much for Meghan, her struggle has been real. Sorry not sorry.

• SD-USA June 22, 2018 at 06:27 #

Let’s not forget Kate had many, many years to prepare for life as a royal.

Meghan did not.

I regret mentioning Kate because it’s not my intention to compare these two women any further.

I stand by my previous statement.

I’m rooting for Meghan and I’m willing to grant her a bit of leeway.

2. Amy June 21, 2018 at 01:25 #

The dress is fine. Quite unexpected. But the real gem is that hat. Love it

3. Caitlin June 21, 2018 at 00:53 #

I have a suggestion for Meghan and her team: collaborate exclusively with Victoria Beckham 🙂 🙂 🙂
    She is a Brit; her clothes are conservative without being too demure; and she does epic tailoring, which is what Meghan’s figure needs.
    She just looked so much better in her chic coats and crispy dresses before she became a Duchess – anyone can see that. So let’s get her on board with VB and knock out some bloody beautiful looks, can we please? <3

4. lelaid June 21, 2018 at 00:26 #

It’s like she has an aversion to having her clothing actually fit

5. Dhppy June 20, 2018 at 21:04 #

The dress looks better in motion, but still, it’s a little disappointing. It seems slightly big for her and the applique at the waist is … odd.

The hat is great, though.

6. Mimi June 20, 2018 at 20:50 #

As with her last Givenchy look, I find the belt unnecessary. It just ruins the look for me.It doesn’t match the style of the dress at all. I love the shape of the hat, but I think I’d prefer it if it was all one color.

7. PrincessEmma June 20, 2018 at 14:30 #

She should take a cue from Queen Maxima always on point her presence is instantly noticed.
    This is so matronly for such a beautiful girl.

• AnnaP June 20, 2018 at 16:41 #

Just looked at Queen Maxima’s history on here. I am mystified as to why she considered stylish. Most of her looks get a massive thumbs down or hardly anyone comments on them.

Think these negative comments about the Duchess of Sussex are erroneous.

• Caitlin June 21, 2018 at 00:33 #

omg AnnaP calm down lol

• Lauren June 21, 2018 at 01:04 #

AnnaP, I agree. I mean, when she gets it right, she’s SO right! But her daytime looks are rarely that great…

8. Meme June 20, 2018 at 14:29 #

I like this outfit a lot. She looks amazing. Great dress and great styling. People are so hard on her and Kate.

9. Cheeky Girl June 20, 2018 at 14:28 #

Here’s the thing … you either have style or you don’t. In Megan’s case, she doesn’t, so she should hire someone to help her asap.

10. Cristina June 20, 2018 at 08:44 #

I think I have found my issue with her styling!
    She goes for loose, flowy, effortless, minimalist fabrics which go against the stiffness of her hats.Their heaviness simply does not match. Kate goes for very crisp looks which go hand in hand with the rigidness of the hats. I’m a huge fan of clean styling, but the more I see her looks the more I realise that effortless minimalism and royal stiffness don’t go well together.

• AnnaP June 20, 2018 at 11:52 #

Kate always wears the same A-line coat dress in a pastel colour or a 1970s carpet style Erdem-a-like frock – so boring. At least Meghan switches it up – she wears a great variety of styles and always looks wonderful!

• Camilla June 20, 2018 at 12:48 #

I agree that although up close the dress looks crisper, for me it doesn’t marry well with this hat at all, as it looks much more casual, and in several pictures the dress and hat don’t seem to be the same shade, with the dress being cream, and the hat fresh white. The details are missing

11. J. June 20, 2018 at 08:15 #

Those are some TERRIBLE shoes. I’m not familiar with all the protocol requirements and I assume they might heavily restrict what women might or might not wear, but is it seriously necessary to make a young woman wear that kind of shoes over and over again?

12. Kat June 20, 2018 at 05:04 #

Phew! So much better!

13. Sarah June 20, 2018 at 04:37 #

Great hat, horrible outfit. Minimalist doesn’t have to be boring and ill-fitting!

14. brat June 20, 2018 at 04:04 #

The Duchess of Cambridge was a flawless, lacy dream at last year’s Royal Ascot. She took my breath away. It ranks in her top five looks.

I was crushed to learn that she is still on maternity leave and wouldn’t be attending today.

15. Fee June 20, 2018 at 02:50 #

The dress fails to nail the strong or feminine combination I think she was going for. It looks heavy and aging on her. The hat is the star here but deserved a better dress to compliment.

• brat June 20, 2018 at 03:11 #

• pinksugar June 20, 2018 at 05:03 #

I agree. I hope her new title doesn’t being the frump, but after her last two outings I am getting concerned.

• brat June 20, 2018 at 06:09 #

I can’t fathom what sparked such a drastic change, but I am resigned. I think we can expect a hit every now and then, but after one miss after another I’m no longer waiting with baited breath.

16. Jas June 20, 2018 at 02:21 #

The hat definitely makes the outfit. The dress is meh and a little loose for my liking.
    Makeup is a little heavy and dark too.

17. Eva June 20, 2018 at 01:42 #

What a beautiful hat! And hair and makeup is perfect here. Miles ahead of her bad fascinator from the weekend.

I’m on the fence about the dress. I like what she was going for, but I find the ensemble a bit too busy with the embroidery, belt, hemline, clutch… Nevertheless, this is such an improvement.

18. TeaAtTwo June 20, 2018 at 01:34 #

The hat choice here was superb. Nice outfit and event appropriate.

19. Lee Ann June 20, 2018 at 01:31 #

What has happened to her fashion mojo? This dress is too much for her frame . Whilst the embroidery is interesting the belt is not. Shoes are dull and the hat not very flattering. When all of this is coupled with heavy bronzer on the cheeks, I’m beginning to wonder if she lost a bet with the DOC

20. NZ June 20, 2018 at 01:22 #

Compared to other looks I’ve seen from this occasion, this is a bit underwhelming but it’s here most decent look in a while. The hat is everything, to be honest. It might be the reason why I think this look works.

21. JHH June 20, 2018 at 01:19 #

Neck up this is a gorgeous look. The hat is my favorite hat this year. Neck down, I am very whatever about the dress — it is neither horrible nor inspiring. The last two thumbnail pictures are terrific.

• brat June 20, 2018 at 02:35 #

I agree. Neck up she looks beautiful and that saucy, chic hat is wonderful.

I adore a good shirt dress, but I find this one matronly and not particularly flattering either.

I have liked nothing about her collaboration with Givenchy and can’t wait for it to come to an end.

22. CreoleLady June 20, 2018 at 01:08 #

Serving up minimalist Eliza Doolittle and I am here for all of it. I thought the appliques at the waist were wrinkles at first, though. The dress will do, at least she is not swimming in it. The hat is fab as are hair and Harry.

• AnnieOh June 20, 2018 at 17:20 #

• meme June 28, 2018 at 13:17 #

Meanwhile Harry will be wearing the same uniform at every Ascot he ever attends and every other event that requires the morning suit 🙂