Menu

Newlyweds Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were all smiles as they attended the wedding of his cousin Celia McCorquodale to George Woodhouse at St Andrew and St Mary’s Church in Stoke Rockford, Lincolnshire this weekend.

The new Duchess of Sussex – exactly four weeks after her big day – wore long-sleeved blue-and-white Oscar de la Renta long-sleeve paisley wrap dress from the Resort 2019 collection with a white Marks and Spencer Pillbox Bow fascinator and Carolina Herrera Scala Insigna clutch.

I’m going to be brutally frank by saying this is by far her worst look since stepping into the spotlight.

The dress appears too big, the styling appears clumsy and her hair was surprisingly messy. One has to wonder if she got dressed in the back seat of the car.

If I was to sum up this look in one word it would be sloppy.

I have always refrained from comparing the Duchess’s, but as Olga said in Meghan last post; “Kate’s style can be boring and repetitive, but I always find her impeccable: crisp clothes and tidy, glossy hair.”

In this instance, I wholeheartedly agree.

There were other royals at this event.

Lady Kitty Spencer: Harry’s cousin was once again blooming in Dolce & Gabbana. While the fascinator feels a bit Fall-like, it works perfectly with those romantic flowers.

Countess Spencer: As you know my heart aches for the impeccable style and grace of Coutness Spencer. She has been my breakout royal of 2018. She looked divine once again wearing a Roksanda Lavete dress adorned with dramatic bows with a contrasting trims adding a sculptural finish.

Credit: Vogue.com & Geoff Robinson

Beyonce Knowles In Mugler - ‘On The Run II’ Tour

Beyonce Knowles In Mugler – ‘On The Run II’ Tour

Lily Collins In Johanna Ortiz - Cartier Queen's Cup Polo

Lily Collins In Johanna Ortiz – Cartier Queen’s Cup Polo

53 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Oscar de la Renta, Lady Kitty Spencer In Dolce & Gabbana & Countess Spencer In Roksanda – Celia McCorquodale’s Wedding to George Woodhouse

1. meme June 28, 2018 at 13:18 #

Does menswear ever change in old Britain?

2. Noemi June 19, 2018 at 13:08 #

I like the dress but it looks more suitable for an informal event or a wedding on the beach. The hair is a bit too unkempt even for her.
    Countess Spencer looks great, even if I don’t particularly like her matchy-matchy accessories.

3. Kat June 19, 2018 at 05:38 #

I still think she’s pregnant and trying to hide it as long as she can with her clothes. All her clothing was impeccably tailored (and fashion-forward) until about March 2018. Since then, everything’s been weirdly ill-fitting/sloppy and she seems a bit out of her style-element. If she is pregnant, I wish her all the best (and hope she gets a new stylist and tailor if/when she publicly announces it!)

4. Kat June 19, 2018 at 05:16 #

+ 6 Bravo!

5. TeaAtTwo June 18, 2018 at 22:46 #

Been praying for her to don colour and print and and it turns out to be this dud. Why is wearing non UK based designers? Kitty looks to have aged 20 years in this money dress since her fantastic look at the royal wedding. Shame that Countess Spencer’s dress is too tight.

6. Phee June 18, 2018 at 22:41 #

Oi. this is an unfortunate look for Meghan. That dress looks far too big. Very unflattering all round for her. I agree, its sloppy.
    The other two look much better put together.

7. CreoleLady June 18, 2018 at 21:50 #

Three no’s for me. The Duchess is swamped, Counterss Spencer’s is too tight, and Lady Spencer’s print is a bit much for my taste.

8. Camille June 18, 2018 at 18:42 #

All three ladies missed the mark IMHO. I like the print of the Duchess’s gown, and I even like the flowy, boho vibe of the design. It was simply too big for her and the fit is what let her down. Also, when wearing a boho dress it is crucial that the fascinator also be in the boho style or at least boho adjacent. It is jarring to have a flowy, boho gown and hair style and then a prim and proper topper. Something more floral and garden-ish might have suited the look better.

Lady Kitty gets points for choosing a glorious array of color but this look is too mumsy for my taste. A better neckline and waistline might have been both more youthful and more flattering. The hat and shoes were a bit heavy but her hair and makeup are beautiful.

Countess Spencer chose a very flattering silhouette and the dress and color suits her very well. A model of taste, but once again we have an issue with the fit of the dress. She has the opposite problem of Meghan. While the Duchess’s dress was far too big; Countess Spencer’s lovely dress is a tad too tight. It is tight in both the bosom and unfortunately the midsection.

• Alina June 18, 2018 at 19:22 #

+1. Perfectly said.

• JHH June 18, 2018 at 20:59 #

Camille, you described perfectly the problems with all three looks.

• justme June 18, 2018 at 22:05 #

• Lee Ann June 18, 2018 at 22:25 #

Couldn’t say it better

• Lashae June 18, 2018 at 23:44 #

9. James June 18, 2018 at 18:06 #

She wouldn’t have hair issues if they would let her get back to her natural curly hair. All this straightening when half her hair is kinky doesn’t help giving a messy hair vibe imo. I would die if she let us see her natural hair from time to time. I saw pics of her her as a child and I feel like looking at 2 different person. Sad 🙁

• mm June 18, 2018 at 18:37 #

She needs to get a better hair stylist. Black women having been wearing their naturally curly hair straight for many decades with out any issues, styled impeccably. If she didnt do this her self, she paid why to much money. She might want to tap famous hair stylist such as Johnny wright (did michelle obama’s hair), i am sure there are many right there in england

• moonbeam June 18, 2018 at 22:16 #

I think Meghan has worn her hair straight or wavy for her entire career as an actress. Have you seen any pictures of adult Meghan with curly hair? I’ve only seen her with curly hair in her kid/teen family pictures.

10. Hermoine June 18, 2018 at 18:02 #

My first thought was why is the Duchess wearing toilet paper on her head but maybe I am blind
    The dress itself would be pretty but it looks too big and the hair sloppy
    The blue dress looks too tight on the last lady
    And I always have loved your comments and insights and think you are more then fair- I miss your modeling clothes pictures!!!! Bring them back and show them how it’s done! I will stay at home in my pjs and cheer you on

• brat June 18, 2018 at 18:35 #

Hermoine,
      I second that!

During Fashion week, Catherine was better dressed than most of the celebs.
      Why did she stop?!
      Catherine, please consider bringing those outings back. They were a highlight of this site for me. I don’t know if those outfits were sponsored and a collaboration, or all your own. If it was all you, that’s even more impressive.

• JHH June 18, 2018 at 20:58 #

Yes, please bring back the pictures of you in the outfits. I loved those.

• Catherine Kallon June 18, 2018 at 21:15 #

Thank you all. Those posts were a lot of fun.

I was loaned clothes for those posts.

Unfortunately the people who I worked with no longer work at Matches or Net A Porter.

• brat June 18, 2018 at 21:55 #

*wails in despair*

Every year after you stopped was the year I hoped you’d be back to showcase your own fashion week ensembles. Net a Porter must rectify this immediately lol.

• JHH June 19, 2018 at 04:05 #

I learn something new every day on this site. Today, it was that there exists a site dedicated only to the fashion choices of the Duchess of Sussex. Thanks, Brat for that bit of information. It will not be a site that I visit but it does explain so much.

• brat June 19, 2018 at 05:00 #

Lol NP. It’s a fan site dedicated to all things Meghan. Anna P is a regular commenter there and of course she adores everything The Duchess has ever worn. They have links to everything she wears, including jewelry.

11. olga June 18, 2018 at 17:55 #

I always feel like Meghan tries too hard to look effortless and in this case she ends up looking messy. She’s pretty and has a beautiful figure, but I just can’t fully appreciate her style.

12. JHH June 18, 2018 at 17:43 #

All three looks are near misses for me. Lady Kitty’s look fits her well and works together well as a cohesive outfit but it is a bit too Grandma’s sofa print for me and the shoes and the hat are too autumn. Countess Spencer’s dress is a gorgeous color but is a touch too tight. As to the Duchess, I am not a fan of the dress to begin with but the messy hair and the hat make it look sloppy. And, the hairstyle and the hat just do not belong together. That being said,As a person who has had to sit behind some mega hats, I appreciate that the Duchess wore a small one.

13. Susie June 18, 2018 at 16:57 #

Countess Spencer looks fabulous! I covet that dress.

14. JessNess June 18, 2018 at 16:48 #

Horrific. Even Meghan’s stans can’t defend this one.

• JHH June 18, 2018 at 17:44 #

Oh but they can and they have been.

• brat June 18, 2018 at 18:22 #

But they will. Case in point Anna P, our resident gadfly from Meghan’s Mirror, who I have words for today.

Dear AnnaP:

1). Meghan could walk out dressed in a gunny sack and you would laud her throwing societal conventions to the wind, as you have NEVER met a Meghan Markle outfit you didn’t like.

2). You’re a commenter on Meghan’s Mirror. I’m beginning to suspect you may also be one of the owners, which would explain your emotional distress in the dismantling of her “style Icon” narrative you run over there. Your reactions at the very least, make perfect sense, if you were to have a financial stake in the website.

3). Catherine has a professional reputation to uphold, as her fans come to this website for her HONEST commentary and analysis. She has been more than generous and kind in her coverage of the Duchess. It is known to all that she likes Meghan and is living for her fairy tale story.

4). Your predictable tears and whining whenever someone doesn’t like Meghan’s clothes are tiresome and suggest you are too fragile for this site. We judge, critique and debate fashion here, no one is exempt. For some reason, you seem to believe Meghan is and attempt to bully anyone who doesn’t love her style choices. Your continual attempts to assign every critical comment insidious motives is gross. Stop it, seriously.

5). For you to come for Catherine and attempt to admonish her for doing her job, and doing it with integrity, is completely out of line. It’s not her job to cater to your personal opinion, which is frequently the minority when it comes to the Duchess of Sussex’s clothes. This isn’t even about fashion with you, that much is glaringly obvious. Even Meghan’s Mirror had negative comments for this outfit. Why don’t you chastise them for it. Once again, I suspect you can’t because you’re one of the owners and don’t want to chase off your customers there. So you come here to vent your frustration.

6). Maybe I have it all wrong and you’re actually Jessica Mulrooney? LOL

As for this outfit, it was savaged on IG yesterday, and I’m in the minority here when I say I like what she was going for. The flowy, breezy bohemian look which looked great on the model. I don’t’ even mind the messy hair or the fascinator which were both dragged. It’s the abysmal fit in the chest of this dress I can’t forgive. It’s at least one size too big, it’s not flowy it’s baggy. She has access to resources your average woman does not, the best tailors, etc. There is no excuse, as Catherine says, it appears she decided to wing it. Of course comparisons with Kate’s impeccable tailoring will surface, it’s human nature.

Lady Kitty is my new Queen of weddings as she is flawless. Styling, accessories, everything. I can find no fault. The Countess looks great but her last outing was better as this dress is a little snug and not as flattering as that glorious purple imho.

• Maria F. June 18, 2018 at 18:36 #

I am not sure about the ins and out about this other commentator, but thank you for stepping up for Catherine.

I understand that the Duchess was and is still under attack in certain media, but this side has always been fair.

• Original meme June 18, 2018 at 19:55 #

• Kat June 19, 2018 at 05:22 #

+ 2

• Catherine Kallon June 18, 2018 at 21:21 #

Dear Brat, we don’t often share the same opinion, but I have a huge amount of respect for this comment and how you went to bat for me here.

It just goes to show that we can all have different opinions while still being respectful of others if they differ.

Very humbled by this. thank you.

• brat June 18, 2018 at 22:27 #

I adore you, and have tremendous respect for your commentary and the professional, unbiased standard you maintain.

The very idea that you must walk on eggshells, are not allowed to speak frankly, and are not allowed to be a “fashion critic” on your own site is not to be borne.

love,
          brat

15. Jerusa June 18, 2018 at 16:09 #

You said it right FC this is sadly just a mess and there’s no other way to put it.

16. Mimi June 18, 2018 at 15:36 #

I get the look she was going for, but the execution is flawed. Also I’m not entirely sure what the etiquette is, but is it appropriate to wear a white dress to a wedding? I know this obviously is blue as well, but still, I’m not entirely sure if it’s approriate?

Lady Kitty looks flawless and I love her wedding style! Can’t wait to see what she wears to Princess Eugenie’s wedding.

17. Leah June 18, 2018 at 15:00 #

I can’t decide which is worse, the dress or the messy hair/fascinator combo?
    Don’t know if the fit issues she’s been having are due to an early pregnancy, but even if it wouldn’t be an excuse for such a bad look. I’m disheartened to see her looking, as you said, so sloppy.

Countess Spencer, however, is so elegant in blue!

18. AnnaP June 18, 2018 at 14:59 #

If Duchess Meghan was wearing the Kitty Spencer dress, it would be hailed as old-fashioned and dumpy, like an antique sofa. She actually does look like she is dumpy and dressing too old for her years.

If Duchess Meghan was wearing the Countess Spencer dress, it would be hailed as boring and the fit is off (it’s too tight – she looks pregnant in it) and what boring shoes.

I have come to the conclusion that it isn’t Duchess Meghan’s attire that is bad, but her attire is meanly criticised because SHE is wearing it. She is criticised to a different standard because it has become the fashion to do so, enthusiastically encouraged by the media.

Very sad for you to compare the 2 Duchesses after saying you wouldn’t.

Personally, I love the dress on her. It is ethereal and summery, and is meant to be loose. When you see her walk in it, it looks delightful. Perfect for a summer wedding. I love that she’s not pinned and primped to the nth degree. She is Meghan and I hope she continues to dress as she pleases because she is the best thing to hit the royal family since, ever!

Everyone said before she was married, “I hope Meghan continues to dress as she wants and doesn’t morph into Kate” yet here you are wishing she had morphed into Kate. She’s not Kate and thank God for that!

I’m sure if any other royal wore this dress, it would be praised to the nines. I remember that ghastly Erdem dress Kate wore was gushed over here.

It’s a shame.

• arwa June 18, 2018 at 15:18 #

+1 Not really interested in any royal style for that matter. But since it’s news, and we all know about I totally agree. If I would change anything, I would lose the hat, though I know it’s like an english wedding thing.

• Catherine Kallon June 18, 2018 at 15:19 #

I am by no means wishing that she morphs into Kate.

Of all her looks I have only criticized this one, and the Goat dress.

The dress and her styling are the issue. The same would’ve been said about anyone wearing this dress and that hat.

I also saw it in motion and my opinion has not changed.

If you look at the model the dress is perfectly fine.

Meghan choose not to have it altered to fit properly, which I find strange considering she must have access to a tailor or a Lady in waiting whose job it is to ensure she looks presentable at all times.

This looks feels like she decided to wing it and it shows.

I understand there are a lot of people who are heavily invested in Meghan, I would count myself as one of them, but like I said in the post, I wanted to be frank and not gloss over the issues I have with this look like I did with the creases in her last look.

• Li June 18, 2018 at 16:14 #

I’ll admit the dress looks too big, though obviously I also understand the look she was going for, i.e. breezy and undone, which I think also explains the hair. Incidentally, I think people might have to get used to the messy bun as her go-to look, just as Duchess Catherine has her blow-out.

The fit of the dress does look a lot better on the model but that’s a fairly easy thing to achieve when the dress can be adjusted for photos.

• Hannah June 18, 2018 at 17:36 #

If I may – in my opinion as long as FC compares style and styling – I don’t see anything wrong with it. What I love about this blog – it’s the way it talks about the fashion, style, styling – respectfully and profesionally.

In my opinion – Meghan look, as summery and flowy it is, is also messy and ill-fitted. I love the dress, I would love to have it, but it’s simply too big. The messy bun is bit too messy… I hope it’s just one misstep.

The two other looks are very flattering and I really like them.

• Catherine Kallon June 18, 2018 at 21:19 #

Thank you Hannah. I do try to take the emotion about of my critiques, but it was hard with this one as I want Meghan to shine and look her best at all time.

I am glad you see that I do keep it about fashion and styling, as that is the aim.

• Eva June 18, 2018 at 20:25 #

If I also may, as a reader, I always got the feeling that FC appreciated Meghan’s arrival and hoped for her to ”rock the boat” a little and succeed in her new position. However, loyal readers will know that personal likes or dislikes would not keep her from commenting on one’s fashion choices with a neutral eye. For me, Catherine’s honest opinion is precisely the reason I keep coming back to this site.

I hope the above poster – who if I remember correctly often writes lengthy post victimizing Meghan and attributing bad motives to anyone disliking her looks – refrains from criticizing FC in the future. This isn’t the Daily Mail, here it’s all about the fashion!

• Catherine Kallon June 18, 2018 at 21:18 #

Thank you Eva.

I would call myself a fan of Meghan, and I still have very high hopes for her, but couldn’t wax lyrical about this one.

• Original meme June 18, 2018 at 15:32 #

I have to disagree. I like MM alot and usually like her clothes, but this dress is just too big for her. and her hair looks sloppy. Catherine doesn’t criticize Meghan’s clothing on a regular basis either.

Not for nothing, I don’t like Lady Kitty’s dress at all and the blue dress IS too tight.

• olga June 18, 2018 at 17:35 #

Actually, assuming you’re alluding to Kate’s visit to Sweden, almost everyone in the comment section disliked her Erdem dress, so I’m not really sure what you’re talking about.

I don’t think anyone here is judging Meghan that harshly, on the contrary I’ve always felt there is a sort of fondness for her and a general, positive consensus on her style.
      You’re making it sound like there is a crusade against her!

(I for one don’t particularly appreciate any of these 3 looks, not only Meghan’s)

• The original AB June 18, 2018 at 22:12 #

I am a fan of Meghan’s but I don’t like how this dress looks on her. The fit is off, her hair looks unkempt and I’m not a fan of the hat. You can like the woman but not always like what she wears. Everybody has hits and misses and for me this is a miss. True some people will criticize her no matter what (their undertone is clear), but not everybody has those motives. There are people who are just about the fashion.

• Lee Ann June 18, 2018 at 22:33 #

I normally like what Meghan wears but recently she has had a few misses . This being the ugliest dress I have seen . And the hat – let’s just not go there. I like Meghan a lot but this look is just plain hideous so take the scales off your eyes

• Crystalline June 19, 2018 at 04:08 #

Dear Anna P: If you think that this blog’s very HONEST opinion is a SHAME please don’t come back anymore. Nevertheless Meghan will always be compared to Catherine since their age are similar. Maybe you are a BIG FAN of Meghan but the criticism over her look is fair, since she has often BREAK the royal’s rule by her wispy hair which covers her face even in her own wedding day (GOSH, does her hairdresser has bobbypins????). If you can’t take anymore the honest comment in this blog… well… please just be dismissed. You will no be missed. Bye.

19. Original meme June 18, 2018 at 14:58 #

Indeed, MM does look a mess. That dress is way too big and her hair is so sloppy. As for Kate, she may be boring but she’s always impeccable.

20. Lara June 18, 2018 at 14:39 #

I have to also say that Lady Kitty shows that a flowing dress need not look sloppy. It has to be fitted in the right places to have an ease to its flow.

21. Lara June 18, 2018 at 14:38 #

I saw this online and was simply horrified. For those who said her wedding dress was too big, this makes that dress seem like a Herve Leger bandage dress. This is ridiculous.

Lady Kitty Spencer, and Countess Spencer, on a bright note, were absolutely lovely. I would give the nod to Lady Kitty, as the Countess’ dress may have been a smidge too tight.